Can Dragon Ball Work In Live-Action?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can Dragon Ball Work In Live-Action?

Post by Cipher » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:19 am

In a word (or two), I think, “Yes, totally.”

There’s a whole genre of wacky, live-action magical martial-arts films it would fit right into.

I see people bringing up Kung-Fu Hustle as live-action DB without ki blasts, but heck, we have plenty of examples with ki blasts too!

Could it work as a Hollywood film, with the kind of approach that usually implies? Eeeeeehhh.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Can Dragon Ball Work In Live-Action?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Cipher wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:19 am In a word (or two), I think, “Yes, totally.”

There’s a whole genre of wacky, live-action magical martial-arts films it would fit right into.

I see people bringing up Kung-Fu Hustle as live-action DB without ki blasts, but heck, we have plenty of examples with ki blasts too!

Could it work as a Hollywood film, with the kind of approach that usually implies? Eeeeeehhh.
It can work in Hollywodd. It just has to be the right studio. In the late 80/90s that was New Line. In the 00sit was Lionsgate. 10s, it is Legendary. Right now .. as much as people have such seathing hate for them: Disney. They have proven they can do superheroes. They have proven they will toss Millions and millions at projects. And at times with let their creatives do what they want. More importantlyly they have the money to let their creative do what they want. Kevin Fiege has free riegns to manage the MCU.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063