Can Dragon Ball Work In Live-Action?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can Dragon Ball Work In Live-Action?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:27 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:23 pm Look at characters like Rabbit Master, Oolong, Turtle, Puar, Pilaf, Bear Thief ect. Dragon Ball is cartoony, going full realistic, live action would ruin it, it needs to be part CG with live actors like Alita and Sonic.
Where did I say that Oolong, Turtle, etc shouldn't be CG? Obviously those type of characters would be, but in an art style that doesn't clash with the world they're present in. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a disingenuous example because that's supposed to be an actual cartoon world breaking into the real world. The clash of cartoon and reality is the exact intention.

Look at any action movie since, I dunno, 1993 that's had CGI characters. They look like characters that are actually part of the world. Marvel has a talking Racoon, a big Green roided up guy, and a big Purple roided up guy and they still look "natural."

And again, stop flirting around the issue - why should GOKU have to be CGI, why would he have to look exactly like his animated self, and how would this not be arbitrary and not look stupid? Humor me.
Because if they make him look like the managa character with the same hair it looks like anime convention cosplay, and if they go realistic like Evolution it doesn't look like Goku at all. Goku just doesn't translate well to live action.
And how exactly would a CGI cartoon Goku solve this problem without creating a litany of new problems in itself?

A Live Action adaptations means certain things have to be adapted to the medium. You can compromise on Goku's hair and still get him right. His general build, his personality, his story - these are the things that actually matter, not whether his hair looks like a palm tree or not. There are plenty of realistic hairstyles that can get across "Jackie Chan looking kid with spiky hair."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 17, 2021 7:10 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:44 pm
😅 I knew people would get triggered by that comment.
Nobody’s triggered, it’s just a god awful idea.
Dragon Ball is extremely cartoony, so I would make the world heavily CG but with real people in it. Oolong, the giant fish, dinosaurs, big cats, animal people, ect would be all CG and would look like 3D versions of Toriyamas art. Bulma, Krillin, Yamcha, Ox King and Roshi would be live actors, but Goku and Pilaf would be CG. I'd also make Roshis exaggerated, cartoony nose bleed reactions CG. If you tried to turn it into full live action and make it look realistic it just wouldn't be Dragon Ball anymore.
Yeah that sounds like an eye sore.

Picture this Goku with live action Bulma searching for the Dragon Balls
I reiterate that would be a visual eye sore. A CG Dragon Ball cartoon wouldn’t be a bad idea. But having half the characters including otherwise completely human looking characters like Goku be CG cartoons interacting with real actors playing Bulma and Krillin etc would be the cinematic equivalent of a back alley abortion that was abandoned halfway through the procedure.

ETA: And yes a character like Oolong would work best as being CG but he would need to look vaguely realistic and not just some Roger Rabbit thing with a cartoon pig juxtaposed against real life actors.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:22 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:10 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:00 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:28 am

Yeah, that sounds terrible.
It work with Alita because she's a cyborg. I feel like the characters in DB that would in CGI would be Majin Buu.
Right...Oolong, Majin Buu, etc...I'd expect them to be CG. But Goku not just as a CGI character but looking like he was literally imported from the cartoon? That's absolutely garbage.
I would rather see Oolong, Shu, and Puar be done with puppets similar to what you see in Dark Crystal.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 17, 2021 7:34 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 pm Adapting anime and manga is no different from adapting western comics and cartoons. You have good live action adaptions of anime and manga that exist in Asia. Not to mention, most Western comic book adaptions (usually superhero movies) are not that great in my opinion. I also can't think of a single good adaption of a western cartoon in live action. Bumblebee was alright in my opinion and it's only consider to be good because the other Michael Bay Transformers movies are hot garbage. Bumblebee is Citizen Kane compare to them.

You can adapt something like Dragon Ball just fine in live action format. I believe that most anime & manga fans outside of Asia don't watch many movies which is why they don't seem to know about the Wuxia genre or seen the good adaption of anime & manga such as Oldboy, Lone Wolf & Cub, Riki Oh, City Hunter, 20th Century Boys, Blue Spring, etc.
Western comic books, at least as far as superheroes are concerned, do function quite a bit differently from manga. Manga like Dragon Ball have only one author and follow a linear story with a beginning, middle and end. Superhero comics from Marvel and DC often have multiple writers for a single property, and are told in a way that allows for more flexibility when it comes to adaptations.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:34 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 pm Adapting anime and manga is no different from adapting western comics and cartoons. You have good live action adaptions of anime and manga that exist in Asia. Not to mention, most Western comic book adaptions (usually superhero movies) are not that great in my opinion. I also can't think of a single good adaption of a western cartoon in live action. Bumblebee was alright in my opinion and it's only consider to be good because the other Michael Bay Transformers movies are hot garbage. Bumblebee is Citizen Kane compare to them.

You can adapt something like Dragon Ball just fine in live action format. I believe that most anime & manga fans outside of Asia don't watch many movies which is why they don't seem to know about the Wuxia genre or seen the good adaption of anime & manga such as Oldboy, Lone Wolf & Cub, Riki Oh, City Hunter, 20th Century Boys, Blue Spring, etc.
Western comic books, at least as far as superheroes are concerned, do function quite a bit differently from manga. Manga like Dragon Ball have only one author and follow a linear story with a beginning, middle and end. Superhero comics from Marvel and DC often have multiple writers for a single property, and are told in a way that allows for more flexibility when it comes to adaptations.
And who says anime and manga movies aren't allowed the same flexibility? I think they can afford to change details around without worrying about a vocal minority of crybabies.
Cold World (Fanfic)

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:10 pm
..would be the cinematic equivalent of a back alley abortion that was abandoned halfway through the procedure.
That does sound a little bit triggered 🤏 😅

It's just my opinion, but I think it'd work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ETA: And yes a character like Oolong would work best as being CG but he would need to look vaguely realistic and not just some Roger Rabbit thing with a cartoon pig juxtaposed against real life actors.
I wouldn't go for 2D animation and live action like Roger Rabbit (which is a great movie btw), I'd want something more like Detective Pikachu or Sonic. Look at what a disaster it was when they tried to make Sonic more realistic, it was creepy and they had to redo the movie.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 pm

I don't see why they can't use multiple art forms. A 'live action movie' is normally already mostly animation anyway if it's a blockbuster. Lets throw in practical effects and makeup arts, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:24 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 pm
..would be the cinematic equivalent of a back alley abortion that was abandoned halfway through the procedure.

I wouldn't go for 2D animation and live action like Roger Rabbit (which is a great movie btw), I'd want something more like Detective Pikachu or Sonic. Look at what a disaster it was when they tried to make Sonic more realistic, it was creepy and they had to redo the movie.
There is a vast middle ground between final Sonic (again, a character from a different dimension) and that overthought eldritch abomination they originally put out. Again, look at Rocket Racoon or any of the other realistic looking CG animals that don't like terrifying. A talking pig is rather easy. Shit, just cast Danny Devito and apply minimal makeup.
Cold World (Fanfic)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 pm

The Marvel movies are like 70% CGI anyway and I think they found a good balance between the craziness of the comics and realism.. I know we've had this conversation before, with a decent enough budget, it'll look great. Hell these days, even hair can be CG so the skies the limit.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:43 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:34 pm

And who says anime and manga movies aren't allowed the same flexibility? I think they can afford to change details around without worrying about a vocal minority of crybabies.
Because they aren't the same thing. Superhero comics from Marvel and DC have multiple authors so the expectations are different. If you can't honor important aspects of the work, why adapt it? Having one single linear continuity makes those important aspects easier to figure out.

The thing I didn't like about the Speed Racer movie aesthetics is that it was so cartoony it may as well have been a cartoon. It would've been less expensive.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:44 pm I'd also make Roshis exaggerated, cartoony nose bleed reactions CG.
Nah you don't need CGI for that, just practical effects. There's plenty of ways to make blood shooting look creative. It's done in horror flicks all the time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:35 pm

Just as triggered as you are from negative feedback.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 17, 2021 9:44 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:35 pm

Just as triggered as you are from negative feedback.
I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all, everyone is allowed their opinion, but I do think it's kinda funny how passionately some people hate the idea of a CG Goku in a live action movie. I think it'd work, but you don't have to like it and I'm ok with that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 17, 2021 9:49 pm

It'd be cool if they threw in some claymation and miniatures! It's Dragon Ball in live action so we could really go crazy and make it a send-up to various forms of filmmaking! Tokusatsu rubber suit monsters! CG high-speed fights! Go nuts!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 17, 2021 9:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:49 pm It'd be cool if they threw in some claymation and miniatures! It's Dragon Ball in live action so we could really go crazy and make it a send-up to various forms of filmmaking! Tokusatsu rubber suit monsters! CG high-speed fights! Go nuts!
That actually sounds amazing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 17, 2021 10:30 pm

It's all artifice so I don't mind CGI and I don't think practical is inherently better. I do think it's silly to CG hair if you don't have to.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm

The kind of CGI you all have in mind is prohibitively expensive. The MCU can do it because those films reliably make stupid amounts of money. They can afford the $100 million dollar price tag that kind of spectacle comes with.

Best case scenario (stars aligning level of good luck) for Dragon Ball would be something like a $50-$60 million budget. That's enough for a solid action comedy like Kung Fu Hustle. Not a CGI Goku with CGI backdrop stretched across 90 minutes.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 am

Look at this cool shit that Toei can do with their green screen experience!

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/ ... 21986?s=19

This would be so cool to see in a DB live action film!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm The kind of CGI you all have in mind is prohibitively expensive. The MCU can do it because those films reliably make stupid amounts of money. They can afford the $100 million dollar price tag that kind of spectacle comes with.
Toei would just need to partner with a big studio, I'm sure they would all jump at the chance to do it.
Best case scenario (stars aligning level of good luck) for Dragon Ball would be something like a $50-$60 million budget. That's enough for a solid action comedy like Kung Fu Hustle. Not a CGI Goku with CGI backdrop stretched across 90 minutes.
Kung Fu Hustle/Journey to the West is exactly the style of movie I would want for Dragon Ball. It would be amazing if Stephen Chow produced and wrote the movie in close partnership with Toriyama, unlike Evolution where Chow only had his name in the credits but he had zero involvement in the movie.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 am Look at this cool shit that Toei can do with their green screen experience!

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/ ... 21986?s=19

This would be so cool to see in a DB live action film!
I'd definitely enjoy an over the top, campy Dragon Ball movie if Toriyama were closely involved in the writing and production, I think it would be really fun.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue May 18, 2021 3:17 am

Yes, but it has to be 1:1 with manga*, otherwise people are going to lose their shit "hur dur not canon", "hur dur not like in the comics" and DB fandom is very toxic that way.

*but we all know that even if it get green light it's going to be something different.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.