Goku ranked Numero Uno idiot hero

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Goku ranked Numero Uno idiot hero

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm

https://www.cbr.com/which-shonen-protag ... st-stupid/

That's cool I think. Although I think he'd share that position with the original Kinnikuman, Suguru Kinniku.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Goku ranked Numero Uno idiot hero

Post by Yuji » Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 pm

If anything Shonen protagonists after Goku have done is tone up the stupidity, so this doesn't strike me as a particularly accurate placement. Goku as an adult (in the original series at least) isn't conventionally dumb anymore, either.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun May 16, 2021 3:30 pm

I can't say I am surprise Goku is number 1 at being dumb, Toei really cranked up Goku stupidity to maximum.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 16, 2021 3:48 pm

It’s a comic book resource listicle so it really doesn’t matter or mean anything.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm https://www.cbr.com/which-shonen-protag ... st-stupid/

That's cool I think. Although I think he'd share that position with the original Kinnikuman, Suguru Kinniku.
Kinnikuman should be higher than Goku especially since Goku in the original series isn't even an idiot. Just naive and uncultured.

He knows when to get serious and shows shrewd judgement during life-or-death situations.

Suguru is or was a clumsy fool unless shit hits the floor.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 pm

Yuji wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 pm If anything Shonen protagonists after Goku have done is tone up the stupidity, so this doesn't strike me as a particularly accurate placement. Goku as an adult (in the original series at least) isn't conventionally dumb anymore, either.
Yeah, Goku as an adult is pretty simple and straightforward, but I wouldn't call him dumb. Maybe not even 22nd Budokai Goku. Only child Goku is kind of dumb, as you'd expect from a 12 year old feral child.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pmThat's cool I think. Although I think he'd share that position with the original Kinnikuman, Suguru Kinniku.
I mean, yeah, Suguru is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed (and can be a tad cowardly at times). But he more than makes up for it with heart. Gotta love the whole core team of Justice Chojin.

It amuses me at this point that both Goku and Suguru are passionate idiots who have to end up fighting their gods.

Kinnikuman's revival was way better at using non-main characters to further the story than Super was, to be sure.

Then you look at, say, Pegasus Seiya, and he progressively got dumber as the series progressed probably mostly due to how many times he landed head first into solid surfaces in the series. >_> Very Rocky Balboa way of fighting: Take the hits until you can pull out the win.

On the other end, Arale's not particularly bright...but she's a robot based on a kid in a gag manga, it facilitates the jokes.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 17, 2021 4:34 am

>posting a CBR article as if it means anything
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am

Gon should top this list. He is the most idiotic of all shonen protags.
We the ones

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am Gon should top this list. He is the most idiotic of all shonen protags.
I disagree what has Gon done to deserver to be at the top of the list? Goku deserves to be number one and here is why.

Buu Saga Goku = Becareful Vegeta if you die you cease to exist. This is Buu Saga
DBS Goku = So what if you die King Kai, you are already dead. This is when recruiting C17

DB Goku = Tien you cheater. This is in 22nd world martial art tournament. Chiaotzu uses magic.
DBS Goku = Goku doesn't realize someone doing something to slow him down. Chiaotzu uses magic.

DB Goku = Goku the only one to know who is stronger between Tien and Tai Pai Pai
DBS Goku = Goku the only one to not know Monaka is weak.

DB Goku = Goku the only one who knew Kami was lying.
DBS Goku = Goku the only one who doesn't know that Beerus was lying.

DB Goku = I recognise his scent, Master Shen reveal his identity.
DBS Goku = Can't tell he is fighting Beerus, even though the ki is of Beerus, costume breaking and no masking scent. Goku can hear their voice, smell their scent and Yamcha spilled the beans but nothing Goku is brainless.

DB Goku = Never forgets senzu beans
DBS Goku = Forgets senzu beans, urn and talisman, which lead to Future Trunks time line being erased, since Mafuba was useless

DB Goku = Wanted to avenge Uppa father
DBS Goku = Doesn't care that Vegeta was disappearing and wasted time holding back and asking pointless question instead of mind reading.

DB and DBZ Goku = Rarely drop their guard and when someone did a sneak attack he was able to react, like in Goku vs Ginyu battle.
DBS Goku = Enjoys dropping his guard too much even when he knows he is the target and can get attacked at any time. His guard is so down that he can't react at all.

DB and DBZ Goku = Able to keep secrets with no problem such as Kami and Future Trunks.
DBS Goku = Unable to keep secrets stated by Bulma.

DB and DBZ Goku = Doesn’t Force or pester anyone to fight him.
DBS Goku = Forces anyone to fight him, even if they have no desire or just plain don't want to fight such as Monaka, Zamasu, Gohan, etc.

DB and DBZ Goku = acknowledge some of his mistakes
DBS Goku = doesn’t acknowledge any mistakes he does
*DBZ Goku acknowledge letting Vegeta was a mistake and when the Cell Jr beat up the Z fighters.

DB and DBZ Goku = When Goku see someone die, he always thinks of using the Dragon Balls to revive even if they are strangers who he never met.
DBS Goku = When Jiren ask Goku what would he wish for, Goku says that he doesn't know even though he saw the other Universe erased.

DB Goku = Waited patiently to get trained by Master Roshi and obeyed him.
DBS Goku = Goku was annoying Whis and being inpatient, even though Whis agreed to train him. Goku got so annoying that Whis considered not training him

This list shows the difference between DB and DBZ Goku with DBS Goku. The worst mistake Goku did caused Future Trunks time line to get erased, since his mistake made it impossible to defeat Zamasu and had to rely on Zeno who erased that time line.

So yes thanks to Toei Goku deserves that number 1 spot.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm

super michael wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 am
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am Gon should top this list. He is the most idiotic of all shonen protags.
I disagree what has Gon done to deserver to be at the top of the list? Goku deserves to be number one and here is why.

Buu Saga Goku = Becareful Vegeta if you die you cease to exist. This is Buu Saga
DBS Goku = So what if you die King Kai, you are already dead. This is when recruiting C17

DB Goku = Tien you cheater. This is in 22nd world martial art tournament. Chiaotzu uses magic.
DBS Goku = Goku doesn't realize someone doing something to slow him down. Chiaotzu uses magic.

DB Goku = Goku the only one to know who is stronger between Tien and Tai Pai Pai

DBS Goku = Can't tell he is fighting Beerus, even though the ki is of Beerus, costume breaking and no masking scent. Goku can hear their voice, smell their scent and Yamcha spilled the beans but nothing Goku is brainless.

DBS Goku = Forgets senzu beans, urn and talisman, which lead to Future Trunks time line being erased, since Mafuba was useless

DBS Goku = Doesn't care that Vegeta was disappearing and wasted time holding back and asking pointless question instead of mind reading.

DB and DBZ Goku = Rarely drop their guard and when someone did a sneak attack he was able to react, like in Goku vs Ginyu battle.
DBS Goku = Enjoys dropping his guard too much even when he knows he is the target and can get attacked at any time. His guard is so down that he can't react at all.

DB and DBZ Goku = Able to keep secrets with no problem such as Kami and Future Trunks.

DBS Goku = Forces anyone to fight him, even if they have no desire or just plain don't want to fight such as Monaka, Zamasu, Gohan, etc.

*DBZ Goku acknowledge letting Vegeta was a mistake and when the Cell Jr beat up the Z fighters.

DB and DBZ Goku = When Goku see someone die, he always thinks of using the Dragon Balls to revive even if they are strangers who he never met.
DBS Goku = When Jiren ask Goku what would he wish for, Goku says that he doesn't know even though he saw the other Universe erased.

DBS Goku = Goku was annoying Whis and being inpatient, even though Whis agreed to train him. Goku got so annoying that Whis considered not training him

This list shows the difference between DB and DBZ Goku with DBS Goku. The worst mistake Goku did caused Future Trunks time line to get erased, since his mistake made it impossible to defeat Zamasu and had to rely on Zeno who erased that time line.

Gon does not understand people at the very most basic of levels. Sure Goku is an idiot in Super but that's also them making him more and more selfish. Gon literally doesn't understand or even acknowledge basic things. He has no actual reflection on his actions he'll simply next chapter be the same character and seemingly forget everything that happened prior. He doesn't react to things even Super Goku would react to. It's like he's a doll sometimes that's just completely blank and smiles. He's honestly rather creepy in how stupid and generic he is.
We the ones

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 17, 2021 10:24 pm

Goku, the #1 lovable idiot, followed Luffy 😄

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:23 pm

Ok, just have to say from this comparison that even though Toei DB/DBZ Goku was played up as more heroic than actually intended i still find it to be a far superior interpretation of his character over Super Goku. They pushed his childishness and such to the extreme in the latter and seriously made him annoying at times, and i definitely prefer the OG anime version by a country mile.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue May 18, 2021 5:03 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm

Gon does not understand people at the very most basic of levels. Sure Goku is an idiot in Super but that's also them making him more and more selfish. Gon literally doesn't understand or even acknowledge basic things. He has no actual reflection on his actions he'll simply next chapter be the same character and seemingly forget everything that happened prior. He doesn't react to things even Super Goku would react to. It's like he's a doll sometimes that's just completely blank and smiles. He's honestly rather creepy in how stupid and generic he is.
Mind giving some specific examples?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm Gon does not understand people at the very most basic of levels. Sure Goku is an idiot in Super but that's also them making him more and more selfish. Gon literally doesn't understand or even acknowledge basic things. He has no actual reflection on his actions he'll simply next chapter be the same character and seemingly forget everything that happened prior. He doesn't react to things even Super Goku would react to. It's like he's a doll sometimes that's just completely blank and smiles. He's honestly rather creepy in how stupid and generic he is.
Isn't that sorta the point of Gon tho? He's Goku dialed up to eleven. He approaches every situation with a completely open mind, throws himself into training with a smile on his face and never holds a grudge. But when he's confronted with something that he can't incoporate into his happy go lucky world view he completely fucking loses it.

And yeah, Gon is kinda creepy. That always seemed to be on purpose. When offered information on his biological mother, he deletes the tape without a second thought because he doesn't want anything to conflict with the feelings he has towards his adoptive mother. And think back to his explanation for wanting to meet his biological father in the first place. Gon doesn't feel anything towards Ging besides curiosity.

It's all the qualities that made kid Goku endearing except amplified until they're almost alienating.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue May 18, 2021 9:46 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm Gon does not understand people at the very most basic of levels. Sure Goku is an idiot in Super but that's also them making him more and more selfish. Gon literally doesn't understand or even acknowledge basic things. He has no actual reflection on his actions he'll simply next chapter be the same character and seemingly forget everything that happened prior. He doesn't react to things even Super Goku would react to. It's like he's a doll sometimes that's just completely blank and smiles. He's honestly rather creepy in how stupid and generic he is.
Isn't that sorta the point of Gon tho? He's Goku dialed up to eleven. He approaches every situation with a completely open mind, throws himself into training with a smile on his face and never holds a grudge. But when he's confronted with something that he can't incoporate into his happy go lucky world view he completely fucking loses it.

And yeah, Gon is kinda creepy. That always seemed to be on purpose. When offered information on his biological mother, he deletes the tape without a second thought because he doesn't want anything to conflict with the feelings he has towards his adoptive mother. And think back to his explanation for wanting to meet his biological father in the first place. Gon doesn't feel anything towards Ging besides curiosity.

It's all the qualities that made kid Goku endearing except amplified until they're almost alienating.
If it's the point of Gon it's done rather poorly being in Chimera Ant the author attempts to give him a particular moment near the end there where he has to self reflect, nearly dies, then it's all smashed to pieces once he wakes up and doesn't even acknowledge Kite and is happy go lucky smiling like nothing ever happened. If the author is trying to deconstruction everything, he surely has failed at it with Gon.
We the ones

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue May 18, 2021 10:39 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:46 pm If it's the point of Gon it's done rather poorly being in Chimera Ant the author attempts to give him a particular moment near the end there where he has to self reflect, nearly dies, then it's all smashed to pieces once he wakes up and doesn't even acknowledge Kite and is happy go lucky smiling like nothing ever happened. If the author is trying to deconstruction everything, he surely has failed at it with Gon.
I don't remember Gon ever coming close to reflecting on his decisions during the Chimera Ant Arc. I remember him going off the deep end and threatening to murder a girl to get the fight he wanted. I also remember him havin a break down after winning said fight. No different than his response back during the Exam Arc when Hisoka drops Geretta's head in front of his paralyzed body. Gon never shows signs of changing. Not to my memory anyway.

But that's all getting pretty off topic so I'll drop it.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes