Why do people want an in-universe explanation why Future Trunks hair changed from purple to blue?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why do people want an in-universe explanation why Future Trunks hair changed from purple to blue?

Post by precita » Sun May 16, 2021 3:44 pm

It's simply blue now because this is what Toriyama wanted it colored in the manga to begin with. Kid Trunks keeps his purple hair because it's iconic.

If you want an in-universe explanation, Future Trunks decided to dye his hair blue as a tribute to his mother dying. That's it.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Why do people want an in-universe explanation why Future Trunks hair changed from purple to blue?

Post by super michael » Sun May 16, 2021 4:30 pm

It is bad that they retconned Future Trunks to never having purple hair, since that is how he was introduced. We even have DBS show Future Trunks with purple hair. They even retconned Future Trunks hair when Future Gohan was alive.

They could have done a in-universe explanation like Future Trunks dyed his hair blue to remember his mum or a certain experiment caused his hair to turn blue or too much time travel.

Doing a retcon is just really lazy, it shows that he doesn't care for details.

Imagine if they change Goku into a fat guy with pink hair, that wouldn't make any sense. Then they change Goku as a kid into a fat kid with pink hair and pink tail.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Why do people want an in-universe explanation why Future Trunks hair changed from purple to blue?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 16, 2021 4:50 pm

Trunks’ hair is purple in the manga, but besides that, I’m pretty sure the purple hair is more “iconic” on Future Trunks than Kid Trunks. Also, the idea that he dyed his hair to pay tribute to his dead mother doesn’t work for two reasons. First, he was already shown with blue hair before Bulma’s death. Second, Present Bulma’s dialogue implies that his hair was always blue.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Here's the closest you're going to get:

https://youtu.be/TvRraFtgJ3w?t=32
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 16, 2021 5:27 pm

super michael wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Imagine if they change Goku into a fat guy with pink hair, that wouldn't make any sense. Then they change Goku as a kid into a fat kid with pink hair and pink tail.
That’s not even remotely the same thing, but go off I guess.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun May 16, 2021 5:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:27 pm
super michael wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:30 pm

That’s not even remotely the same thing, but go off I guess.
How come that isn't remotely the same? In DBZ when Future Trunks was introduced he had purple hair, then we see Future Trunks past with Future Gohan and he had purple hair. Then we see flash backs of Future Trunks in DBS and he still has purple hair.

Then comes Goku Black Saga and he has blue hair, then he goes to the present and everyone acts like he always had blue hair. Then we see Future Trunks past with Future Gohan and he has blue hair.

When Krillin hair grew everyone was surprise along with Goku.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 16, 2021 5:46 pm

super michael wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:31 pm

How come that isn't remotely the same?
I feel like I shouldn’t have to explain a character having a different hair color isn’t the same thing as having a a character with a completely different hair and body type. Like, this should be obvious why your comparison makes no sense and is completely eye rolling inducing.

Then comes Goku Black Saga and he has blue hair, then he goes to the present and everyone acts like he always had blue hair. Then we see Future Trunks past with Future Gohan and he has blue hair.
I too remember when every character said “Oh Trunks I love your blue hair that you’ve always had that’s never been any color but that shade of blue” just because no one brings it up doesn’t mean he couldn’t have dyed his hair or that Super is expecting the audience to believe he always had blue hair...especially when they used footage from Z/Kai for flashbacks with the old design.
Who was? Literally nobody mentioned he had hair now except Goku. And Goku knew Krillin for over 20 years and always knew him as a bald guy. The cast knew Future Trunks for like maybe 3 weeks top and hadn’t seen him in 7-12 years

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun May 16, 2021 5:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:46 pm
super michael wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:31 pm

How come that isn't remotely the same?
I feel like I shouldn’t have to explain a character having a different hair color isn’t the same thing as having a a character with a completely different hair and body type. Like, this should be obvious why your comparison makes no sense and is completely eye rolling inducing.

I too remember when every character said “Oh Trunks I love your blue hair that you’ve always had that’s never been any color but that shade of blue” just because no one brings it up doesn’t mean he couldn’t have dyed his hair or that Super is expecting the audience to believe he always had blue hair...especially when they used footage from Z/Kai for flashbacks with the old design.
Who was? Literally nobody mentioned he had hair now except Goku. And Goku knew Krillin for over 20 years and always knew him as a bald guy. The cast knew Future Trunks for like maybe 3 weeks top and hadn’t seen him in 7-12 years
Thanks for explaining why body change is different than hair change.

There was no dying hair since DBZ Future Trunks had purple hair when Future Gohan died, while DBS Future Trunks had blue hair when Future Gohan died. As for the characters reactions and what they say, I guess I will have to rewatch the episode and quote the text, although I can't do it now I have to go to sleep.

As for Krillin in chapter 427 Gohan mentions that Krillin hasn't shaved since the Cell Games. In Chapter 432 Goku says this "Aren't you naturally bold?". Then Krillin replies that he just shave.

Edit found the episode faster than I thought:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/dragon-ball ... nks-722907
At 13:11 more or less.

When Present Trunks is checking the time machine, how did Bulma know that the person inside the Time Machine had Blue hair? Last time Bulma saw Future Trunks he had purple hair.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm

Again, if people want to hand wave the blue hair by saying that Trunks dyed it that way after the Cell saga, that’s explicitly contradicted within the text itself. We’re apparently just supposed to accept the idea that Future Trunks’ hair was always blue, which would’ve been easier to accept if Kid Trunks didn’t still have purple hair.

The real explanation for why Future Trunks has blue hair is that Toei wanted him to have the same hair color as his mother, and in the manga, both Trunks and Bulma have purple hair. It’s not something they did because they thought “Gee, wouldn’t it be neat if Trunks randomly dyed his hair?”

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun May 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Is normal to want an explanation for things that don't have sense, and many people don't know (or are satisfied with?) the real-life explanation.

For an in-universe explanations, if dying his hair is an acceptable headcanon, anything should be, since simply none is correct.

Toriyama has said that he isn't particular about and sometimes forgets colors, it doesn't surprise that after many years he colored Buluma and Trunks with anime Buluma colors

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 pm

My mistake. Dragon Ball Super treats Future Trunks hair as though it’s always been Bulma blue. Clearly this is an unforgivable crime and nothing like that has been done before in Dragon Ball like the Kame gi going from red to orange or Vegeta’s hair going from red to black and appearance being less diminutive.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 pm My mistake. Dragon Ball Super treats Future Trunks hair as though it’s always been Bulma blue. Clearly this is an unforgivable crime and nothing like that has been done before in Dragon Ball like the Kame gi going from red to orange or Vegeta’s hair going from red to black and appearance being less diminutive.
This is one of the things i didn't get about Future Trunks' return in Super, because it's inconsistent and as we know from DBZ it was a purplish color like Bulma's is in the manga except for in the anime adaptation they had changed her hair to be either turquoise blue or maybe blue green instead like a few of the chapters early on did. Yet present timeline Trunks still has his purplish hair...i dunno!!!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Mon May 17, 2021 5:59 am

I never really knew I wanted an in-universe explanation until you mentioned it.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 am

Because it doesn't make sense that one Trunks has blue hair and the other has purple hair, when they both used to have the same colour. It can't be explained "in-universe", not in a good way. It's just error, big stupid error and laziness on Toei part (Toyotarou at least wrote something like "boy with the same hairstyle" for Bulma to say in black&white comic), because for BoG they fixed #18 hair colour from grey to blond but left Future Trunks with blue because of... reasons nobody knows.

If both Future Trunks and Trunks appeared with blue hair, then I think nobody would complain as much. On manga covers they both have blue hair and even if we don't like it, at least it's consistent.

It's stupid error that could be fixed easily. But it's Toei, and as dissapointed Loki said in Ragnarok "you had one job".
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 am

The only thing I want is all reprints to consistently do blue hair.

And Xeno trunks either to get blue hair or Chronoa changing it to differentiate him from the other trunks
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon May 17, 2021 9:00 am

Maybe 4kids can come back and air Z with his blue hair like blue popo.
We the ones

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon May 17, 2021 9:09 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 pm My mistake. Dragon Ball Super treats Future Trunks hair as though it’s always been Bulma blue. Clearly this is an unforgivable crime and nothing like that has been done before in Dragon Ball like the Kame gi going from red to orange or Vegeta’s hair going from red to black and appearance being less diminutive.
It's a dumb change and didn't need to be done. Everything about it either insults the intelligence of the viewer or needlessly confuses them. The fact that Bulma asks if the visitor is a "blue haired" guy before she meets him shows that this is a retcon as the anime, in the same episode we're watching mind you and only minutes before this statement shows a flashback from Z of Trunks with purple hair. All people want is for the showrunners to either make things consistent ... meaning matching hair colors for Trunks, Trunks, and Bulma or at least provide something in the way of an explanation, "Oh, Trunks, your hair has gotten so much darker as you've aged. I wonder if it'll happen to little Trunks too?" It was, of course, a production error, I believe based off of Toriyama-san's new design for Trunks which included blue hair. Now they corrected him when he gave #18 lilac hair, so I'm not sure why they ran with blue haired Trunks when we have 30+ years of media with purple haired Trunks. Perhaps because they thought 2 Trunks' in one arc would confuse people (because we're idiots apparently). I believe Toriyama-san also drew little Trunks with the blue hair, but the anime staff corrected that one too (IIRC).

If they wanted to change any color, they should've changed Bulma and Bra's hair color to purple to match both Trunks' and Dr. Briefs'. Bulma also has purple in the manga so it wouldn't have come off as a retcon but rather a comic accurate representation. I guess in general, there's enough confusion about the hair colors to warrant something like this happening in the first place since Bulma's color changed from blue to purple in the manga after a few chapters, but we've had 30 years to get this together Toei.
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:00 am Maybe 4kids can come back and air Z with his blue hair like blue popo.
:lol:
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:37 am

In DBS Bulma literally asks “does he have blue hair?” When he shows up in the past, meaning it was clearly supposed to be a retcon. A very stupid retcon.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm

BWri wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:09 am I believe Toriyama-san also drew little Trunks with the blue hair, but the anime staff corrected that one too (IIRC).
Yes, that is true. Little Trunks had blue hair on Toriyama designs and even on Yamamuro designs but in the actual movie he had purple hair. They fixed it but nobody knows what happened to Future Trunks. Like you said, we fans must be idiots and we can't distinguish one Trunks from the other.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 17, 2021 12:20 pm

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it is odd for his hair to change colour and for them to act like its always been that way, especially with Kid Trunks still being purple.

For stuff like Vegeta's hair being red during his first couple of appearances, at least it didn't last very long. Trunks on the other hand was long established as having purple hair, so it's strange for it to change. It makes him consistent with Bulma at least, although I'd argue giving Bulma purple hair would make more sense, as she'd be more likely to have been dying hers.