Favorite Form?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Favorite Form?

Post by Kappa » Mon May 17, 2021 2:10 pm

What's your favorite form? Mine is super saiyan god. 8)

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Form?

Post by super michael » Mon May 17, 2021 3:32 pm

My favorite form will always be Super Saiyan 4, while my least favorite form is Super Saiyan Blue. Super Saiyan Blue is literally Super Saiyan 1 but in blue, can’t get anymore lazy than that.

At least Super Saiyan God had being slim and two color pupils.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Actually, there's a small difference between Super Saiyan and Blue:

Also, the Grades are literally Super Saiyan with big muscles, so laziness isn't something new.

Well, my favorite form is Super Saiyan 3.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:03 pm

Without a doubt it's Super Saiyan Rosé. The colour matches Zamasu's personality and character so well. The rosé is a colour associated with beauty, elegance, nobility, but also with death, danger, lethality, this all perfectly matches Goku Black/Zamasu. Plus the colour is just visually very pleasing.

Another reason why this is my favourite form is because of its exclusivity. The Super Saiyan forms are used by basically half the cast at this point, Red and Blue are used by both Goku and Vegeta, the Legendary form is used by Kale and Broly, but Rosé is used by Black alone (and by Fused Zamasu obviously, who is comprised of Black). There's an element of exclusivity to Rosé that makes it the best, it's a very specific form awakened by a God possessing a Saiyan body, and that makes it special in-universe. As opposed to Super Saiyan which has become a joke (even the writers are self-aware that it became a joke, that with Vegeta saying that it's a "Super Saiyan bargaining sale" in the Buu arc).

This is probably a hot take, given how a lot of people on the internet hate the Super "recolours", but frankly I don't care:

- The recolour is aesthetically very pleasing, and ultimately that's what matters. I'd rather have a beautiful recolour than an ugly mishmash of 20 different elements.
- The symbolism and exclusivity behind it make it the best for me storywise.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks for showing the images to compare, I see SSB has 1 extra hair. As for Super Saiyan Grade 2/3 they add details towards those forms, while SSB it lose details from SSG form. SSB they made it more simple than SSG.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 pm

Super Saiyan 4, followed by early portrayal of Super Saiyan. Also like Oozaru, including golden one.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 pm

SS2, specially its first appearance with Gohan. Totally felt like the answer to perfect Super Saiyan and had that stoic trait in his look.

Another favorite of mine is Ultra Instinct Sign, but it’s a shame it’s an imperfect form. It could easily contend with SS2 in my book, if it weren’t for this little detail.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 17, 2021 8:38 pm

For Goku, my favorite forms in order are:

Base and SS3
UI
MUI
SS2
SS1
SS4
USS
SSB
SSG

Vegeta:

SSG and SS1
Base
SS2
USS
SSB
SSBE
SS4

ColonelAdams

Post by ColonelAdams » Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 am

Aesthetically: Super Saiyan 3. I love how powerful this form looks. It really makes Goku look the Godlike being he basically is at that point in the story.
In the Story: Great Ape or Super Saiyan. Whenever Great Ape appears, it always makes for a great climax. From causing the Castle climax in the Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc, to appearing at the 21st TB in front of Roshi, to Vegeta's battle with Goku. I also really like the references it gets as a part of Goku, such as when it appears when he kills King Piccolo. Super Saiyan has the best transformation scene in the series, in terms of both buildup and sheer wow factor.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 pm

Base Piccolo. He gets a lot of mileage out of 1 form :lol:.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:17 pm

Super Saiyan 4 is my favorite and its limit breaker form.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 pm

Assuming we're mostly talking about Saiyan forms here, then for the longest time my favorite has been a tie between good ol' Super Saiyan 1 and beastly-badass Super Saiyan 4. The former is an iconic classic, and I doubt its appeal needs any explaining. The latter is remarkably unique and inventive, and has a lot of lore value and meaning behind it. (As a small aside, I'm quite happy that Heroes has thrown SS4 a bone and given it a fancy new powered-up state of its own in the "Limit Breaker" thing, as you can probably guess from my current avatar.)

Then in second place behind both of them is Super Saiyan God, for similar reasons as with Super Saiyan 4. It broke the design trend of the forms that preceded it and did something new and interesting, giving an impression of exuding a strange new type of power. Unfortunately, the forms that succeeded it are far less compelling.

After those top two-but-technically-three favorites, all the remaining monkey-faced and golden-haired forms are kind of jumbled together in a collective third place. Then the only Saiyan forms that I actively dislike are the new lazy-ass color swaps that have been given the spotlight in Super; namely Blue (and its variations), Rosé, and especially Ultra Instinct.

As for non-Saiyan forms and transformations, since my earliest fandom days I've really liked Coola's big fancy spiky super form. I've always found the Freeza clan transformation system fascinating, with how they have a "true form" that gets hidden under layers of transformations meant to contain its power. When he showed up, Coola was somewhat of a trailblazer in that he was the first to do the opposite, debuting a form that actually boosted his power instead. On top of the form design itself being gnarly, its existence gave me the impression that Coola used hard work and ingenuity to bridge a gap in natural power and talent between himself and Freeza.

Some other honorable mentions include Stage-1 Cell (for being brilliantly-designed and very effective nightmare fuel), Golden Freeza (I'm lukewarm on the design itself, but I love the idea that he intentionally made it gold to one-up the Super Saiyans), and Baby-Vegeta's various forms (both for being cool designs and for the sci-fi body horror element).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 20, 2021 11:54 pm

I like them all! If I had to pick a favorite, though, it'd be Blue. I love the drawback aspect and the risk involved in using it.

Ultra Instinct is so cool, too! I loved Episode #130 so much!! The silver hair! The dodging! The shirtless Gokuu!!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 am

Gohans ssj2/ or back then grade 5 ssj.It had meaning and looked very cool.
Hellsing

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri May 21, 2021 2:54 am

Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 4.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am

Games well specifically Dokkan have really made me appreciate SSJ4

But story wise the only forms that has any significance for me are SSJ and SSJ2

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am Games well specifically Dokkan have really made me appreciate SSJ4

Why did Dokkan make you appreciate SSJ4?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat May 22, 2021 5:46 am

Hulk10 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am Games well specifically Dokkan have really made me appreciate SSJ4

Why did Dokkan make you appreciate SSJ4?

I don’t know I just really like all the SSJ4 cards in the game. Also back in GT I don’t like how the art translated on screen but in the game I like the art of SSJ4 much more

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Sat May 22, 2021 6:41 am

Gonna have to go with Fat Majin Boo. Sorry, I just love that guy.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 22, 2021 12:03 pm

I have a slightly preference for Migate no Gokui over Super Saiyan, mainly for its roots under martial arts philosophy.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.