Favorite Form?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Form?

Post by Hulk10 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:32 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:46 am
Hulk10 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am Games well specifically Dokkan have really made me appreciate SSJ4

But story wise the only forms that has any significance for me are SSJ and SSJ2
Why did Dokkan make you appreciate SSJ4?

I don’t know I just really like all the SSJ4 cards in the game. Also back in GT I don’t like how the art translated on screen but in the game I like the art of SSJ4 much more
Ah I see.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 22, 2021 4:41 pm

In terms of Saiyan transformations, Super Saiyan 4 is the most inventive and unique looking, but Super Saiyan God was a refreshing change of pace back in the day. Unfortunately, it set a precedent where future transformations would involve Goku and Vegeta having different hair colors.

In terms of the lore and philosophy behind it, I quite like Ultra Instinct, but I’m pretty mixed on it being treated as a transformation in the first place. I guess you gotta sell toys somehow.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun May 23, 2021 2:21 am

My favs are the ones that I feel have the best lore for the Saiyans being....

Great Ape
Super Saiyan 1
Super Saiyan 4

I also always loved Freizas final form and Super Nameks if those count....

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun May 23, 2021 10:06 am

I've said it a million times here but besides the culmination of the story behind it (including the progression of the grade forms), SSJ2 kid Gohan is my favorite character on the show, and a lot of that has to do with all his power packed inside such a lean, even angrier-looking form of super saiyan. The subtlety of the transformation is a boon rather than a dirge.

Obviously later on it becomes a pointless form to take.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 am

My favourites are Super Saiyajin 1 and 2. Quite fond of Super Saiyajin God too.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon May 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Super Saiyan Blue, so beautiful, mystical and stylish. The best update to the classic Super Saiyan they could have created: give up the blond trend for the mystical, ethereal blue. Back at the time of Resurrection F, I really thought it was the update to Super Saiyan now that Goku had god energy within him, and that the classic blond Super Saiyan would never be seen again from this point in the story.

But I could actually hesitate with Ultra Instinct, which looks divine, "supreme", flowing effortlessly on an another level beyond what we can usually conceive.
It gives me a mesmerizing impression that is very similar to what I felt seeing Sora's final form in Kingdom Hearts 2.
That silver, angelic look combined to that light flow as if gravity didn't exist anymore and every movement became effortless, floating along an invisible wind, almost like an aerial dance that lifts you and embarks you in itself or something, with an unfathomable flexibility and so much lightness that it would seem to you that your whole body has become nothing but an illusion manifesting around your floating conscience and moving to automatically do what's best on its own without a single mental effort from you, without the need to think, without the need to consider possibilities, without the need of being aware of anything... Just free-flowing lightly and mindlessly without a single effort, free from the chains of gravity, free from having to consider things and make choices, free from possibly failing, free from overthinking and having that absolute and unshakable feeling that you're automatically doing the best thing you could possibly do in every second. Your body lifts all the work for you to reach your objective and does it in the most perfect way while you just enjoy the comfortable ride, if only for a moment of blissful lightness coupled with innate perfection.

...But most of all, that feeling of lightness and "flowing" effortlessly. :)

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon May 24, 2021 6:58 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:31 pm Super Saiyan Blue, so beautiful, mystical and stylish. The best update to the classic Super Saiyan they could have created: give up the blond trend for the mystical, ethereal blue. Back at the time of Resurrection F, I really thought it was the update to Super Saiyan now that Goku had god energy within him, and that the classic blond Super Saiyan would never be seen again from this point in the story.

But I could actually hesitate with Ultra Instinct, which looks divine, "supreme", flowing effortlessly on an another level beyond what we can usually conceive.
It gives me a mesmerizing impression that is very similar to what I felt seeing Sora's final form in Kingdom Hearts 2.
That silver, angelic look combined to that light flow as if gravity didn't exist anymore and every movement became effortless, floating along an invisible wind, almost like an aerial dance that lifts you and embarks you in itself or something, with an unfathomable flexibility and so much lightness that it would seem to you that your whole body has become nothing but an illusion manifesting around your floating conscience and moving to automatically do what's best on its own without a single mental effort from you, without the need to think, without the need to consider possibilities, without the need of being aware of anything... Just free-flowing lightly and mindlessly without a single effort, free from the chains of gravity, free from having to consider things and make choices, free from possibly failing, free from overthinking and having that absolute and unshakable feeling that you're automatically doing the best thing you could possibly do in every second. Your body lifts all the work for you to reach your objective and does it in the most perfect way while you just enjoy the comfortable ride, if only for a moment of blissful lightness coupled with innate perfection.

...But most of all, that feeling of lightness and "flowing" effortlessly. :)
Autonomous Ultra Instinct is amazing its true. And we've seen the ability can be used in conjunction with other forms.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue May 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Super Saiyan 2 and 4 are great.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:21 pm

I don't quite get what they mean when they say the body reacts on its own for Ultra Instinct, since movements require brain commands.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 pm

^ Nope, not every movement requires brain commands: that's what we call reflexes and we all use those.

From Wikipedia:
In biology, a reflex, or reflex action, is an involuntary, unplanned sequence or action and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus. A reflex is made possible by neural pathways called reflex arcs which can act on an impulse before that impulse reaches the brain. The reflex is then an automatic response to a stimulus that does not receive or need conscious thought.

So yes, automatic movement is otherwise called reflex (hence why the French name for Ultra Instinct actually mentions "Reflex" rather than "Instinct"), making us act before we even realize what's going on.

To simplify, Autonomous Ultra Instinct is a bit like a long-lasting chain of reflexes AND the most perfect reflexes your body could possibly have in any given situation thanks to numerous past experiences that have taught it what works best.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:18 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:15 pm ^ Nope, not every movement requires brain commands: that's what we call reflexes and we all use those.

From Wikipedia:
In biology, a reflex, or reflex action, is an involuntary, unplanned sequence or action and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus. A reflex is made possible by neural pathways called reflex arcs which can act on an impulse before that impulse reaches the brain. The reflex is then an automatic response to a stimulus that does not receive or need conscious thought.

So yes, automatic movement is otherwise called reflex (hence why the French name for Ultra Instinct actually mentions "Reflex" rather than "Instinct"), making us act before we even realize what's going on.

To simplify, Autonomous Ultra Instinct is a bit like a long-lasting chain of reflexes AND the most perfect reflexes your body could possibly have in any given situation thanks to numerous past experiences that have taught it what works best.
Yeah I knew reflexes were like that. So its basically just over amplified reflexes huh?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu May 27, 2021 6:06 am

Regular Super Saiyan.

That's a preference of mine that never changed.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu May 27, 2021 6:23 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:18 pm Yeah I knew reflexes were like that. So its basically just over amplified reflexes huh?
You could put it like that, but I think it's greater than you'd think: it's like reflexes that are perfect (or at least the most perfect thing to try) AND constant for a while, which are two exceptional things for reflexes.
Usual reflexes are more like a one-time thing just for a split second, and a very generic movement far from always perfectly adapted to the situation.

If I try to imagine an example of classic reflex from real life compared to what it would be with Ultra Instinct...

So yeah, reflexes being automatically the best thing you can do and being maintained constantly for a while is a HUGE power and game-changer. "Automatic perfection" if we exagerate.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:23 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:18 pm Yeah I knew reflexes were like that. So its basically just over amplified reflexes huh?
You could put it like that, but I think it's greater than you'd think: it's like reflexes that are perfect (or at least the most perfect thing to try) AND constant for a while, which are two exceptional things for reflexes.
Usual reflexes are more like a one-time thing just for a split second, and a very generic movement far from always perfectly adapted to the situation.

If I try to imagine an example of classic reflex from real life compared to what it would be with Ultra Instinct...

So yeah, reflexes being automatically the best thing you can do and being maintained constantly for a while is a HUGE power and game-changer. "Automatic perfection" if we exagerate.
Seems a bit silly though when we remember that Jiren could match that power.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 27, 2021 11:04 pm

Gotta be Ultra Instinct for me. I don't think I've seen this series do such an excellent job at making a transformation look so cool in just a single episode. Episode 110 was enough to sell the form to me, but then there's episodes 116 and 130 that make me love the transformation even more. The fight between Goku and Moro in the manga continued to display it's cool qualities. I also love that it isn't just another Saiyan transformation that boosts the user's power.

Runner ups would be the original Super Saiyan transformation for how iconic it is and Broly's humanoid Oozaru form for how absolutely feral it is. That Broly form is also kind of a nod to Super Saiyan 4 in a way. The golden eyes, the Oozaru inspiration and Broly's hair all sorta resemble Super Saiyan 4, so that's kinda cool.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri May 28, 2021 12:52 am

1. MnG in base and the technique itself.
2. The mastered SS that replaces the rest (SSB, if Toriyama still considers it to be that)

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:07 am

Pretty sure that Super Saiyan Blue isn't the completely mastered Super Saiyan form.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri May 28, 2021 12:46 pm

I personally love the MUI-concept, because it's the same principle as we always knew, an upgrade to a higher level of martial arts, but at the same time it's not a classic power-up, it has a radically different philosophy behind it.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 pm

The best concept of the new forms is UI Omen. Just a subtle eye color change, demeanor shift and a brand new aura are highly effective at getting across what the form is more than the hair color changes. Plus it does more than just boost stats which is nice.

Forms that do unique stuff are the best, otherwise its a matter of time before they're replaced with the strongest new thing.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 am Games well specifically Dokkan have really made me appreciate SSJ4

But story wise the only forms that has any significance for me are SSJ and SSJ2
Why did Dokkan make you appreciate SSJ4?
I know he already responded, but Dokkan has given the SSJ4 form so much love recently, it's not even funny. It started with a newer SSJ4 Gogeta who is still a monster with pretty much no weaknesses and leads a category that includes all SSJ4s. Then the Heroes collab came, and with it 4 SSJ4s: Vegito, Gohan, Bardock and Broly. All at least very solid. And last, but not least, a very recent shared celebration which not only gave EZAs to SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta, two color leads renowned for their inpact at the time, but also introduced a new GT SSJ Goku and Vegeta which turn into their SSJ4 forms for their active skill. And all 4 of them are obscenely powerful.
No wonder the subreddit was filled with Monke memes.

Still, my favorite form is regular SSJ, more for the great moments I watched in my childhood than anything.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.