Favorite characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: Favorite characters?

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Goku da Silva wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:41 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 pm That's irrelevant. What I don't like and is utterly unacceptable is to be a pervert "like Muten Roshi" (as you describe yourself), who keeps consistently harassing women.

Please reconsider why you like the character.
Hahaha, you're one prudish mate! Don't know what you're missing... :lol:
Prudish to not want to grope and touch women inappropriately. Well okay then. :?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Goku da Silva wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:41 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 pm That's irrelevant. What I don't like and is utterly unacceptable is to be a pervert "like Muten Roshi" (as you describe yourself), who keeps consistently harassing women.

Please reconsider why you like the character.
Hahaha, you're one prudish mate! Don't know what you're missing... :lol:
Bitch, say sike.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:44 am

Son Goku and Yamcha are my two favorite characters. Loved Goku's innocent and pure personality since the beginning as well as Yamcha's cocky attitude and his cool design.

Tenshinhan, Krillin, Chaozu, Trunks, Vegeta, Broly (DBS), Android 17 (DBS) and Piccolo (these eight are in no particular order) would make my top 10 alongside Goku and Yamcha.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:33 pm

My favorite character was and always will be Son Goku. He represents what Dragon Ball is a great protagonist. The story would not work without him.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:47 pm

In no particular order
Goku
Future Trunks
Gohan
Piccolo
Frieza
Tien
Tao Pai Pai
Bardock(Z)

I love these characters to bits. :D

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:19 pm

Bulma
The Androids
Cell
Freeza
Vegeta
Videl
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:43 pm

In a rough order:

Piccolo (King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr. are my favorite villains of Dragon Ball, and I really loved Piccolo from the Saiyan-Androids arcs, up to his fight with 17. There's so much more that can still be done with the character.)

Gohan (all versions, but especially Saiyan-Namek sagas and Great Saiyaman/Babidi saga. Being a kid when I first got into Dragon Ball like most, and being an occasionally shy kid, it was easy to connect with him.)

Krillin (love him most from his earliest appearances through the Frieza saga. I consider him the beating heart of Dragon Ball).

Goku (specifically beginning of OG Dragon Ball through the Frieza Saga. It felt like minimal returns for Goku as a character after SSJ, although I still really like Cell and Buu Saga Goku. Not a big fan of Super Goku, aside from Ultra Instinct).

Bulma (sure, she can be annoying and incredibly self-absorbed, but she's been there since the beginning. She's incredibly intelligent and can be extremely resourceful when needed).

Future Trunks (early Android arc particularly. Good-hearted, takes care of business without goofing around. Represents the best aspects of Gohan and Bulma, and ultimately brings out the best Vegeta)

Frieza (particularly in his own original arc. Just the ultimate aristocratic evil. A supreme narcissist and sociopath; I loved each of his forms as well.)

Tenshinhan (my 2nd favorite redemption arc after Piccolo. I love his unique appearance, stoic nature and need to constantly better himself as a martial artist. But I love that he learns, from Roshi of all people, that being a good person is a necessary part of the journey as well).

Vegeta (was my favorite character/2nd favorite character along with Goku as a kid. Tbh I find him annoying now throughout much of the Android/Cell saga and at various other points, but I love him as a villain in the Saiyan/early Namek saga, and I loved Majin Vegeta in the Buu arc, questionable redemption arc aside. I like Vegeta more for his iconic presence than anything).

Videl (specifically pigtail-wearing Videl. She added fresh energy to Dragon Ball, and was a nice contrast to Gohan's softer personality. Despite her diminuative frame, she had an intimidating presence, and was supremely confident and a skilled fighter. It's a shame that she's lost any semblance of her early personality.)

If not for the annoying and disgusting pervertedness, Roshi would be somewhere up here. I love many of the other characters like Chi-Chi, Yamcha, etc, but these round it out for the characters that make the biggest impression on me in the story.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:56 am

Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are all three the best characters, in my personal opinion. Goku for being an underdog and a lighthearted protagonist, Vegeta for being a prodigy and close rival to Goku, and Piccolo for being a modest prodigy and a distant rival to Goku.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Jiren (what a suprise)
Roshi
Hit
Beerus
Goku
Vegeta
Freeza
New Broly
Android 17
Zamasu (best written villian in Dragon Ball)
Kuririn
Whis
Tao pai pai
General Blue

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Yosheets wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:56 am Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are all three the best characters, in my personal opinion. Goku for being an underdog and a lighthearted protagonist, Vegeta for being a prodigy and close rival to Goku, and Piccolo for being a modest prodigy and a distant rival to Goku.
Yeah, this is my Dragon Ball Trinity. Piccolo just needs to be stronger.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:18 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:13 pm
Yosheets wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:56 am Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are all three the best characters, in my personal opinion. Goku for being an underdog and a lighthearted protagonist, Vegeta for being a prodigy and close rival to Goku, and Piccolo for being a modest prodigy and a distant rival to Goku.
Yeah, this is my Dragon Ball Trinity. Piccolo just needs to be stronger.
Piccolo (debatably) could still keep up with the Super Saiyans in the Cell Games. That makes him pretty darn strong.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Yosheets wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:18 pm Piccolo (debatably) could still keep up with the Super Saiyans in the Cell Games. That makes him pretty darn strong.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I think Piccolo's been keeping up with the SSJ forms this whole time. And now as of the Moro arc with SSJ2 and SSJ3. So I think he's plenty strong. I just think he should remain a rival with Goku and Vegeta. My favorite dynamic is when those three are competing for supremacy or at the very least, very close in power.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:00 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:34 pm
Yosheets wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:18 pm Piccolo (debatably) could still keep up with the Super Saiyans in the Cell Games. That makes him pretty darn strong.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I think Piccolo's been keeping up with the SSJ forms this whole time. And now as of the Moro arc with SSJ2 and SSJ3. So I think he's plenty strong. I just think he should remain a rival with Goku and Vegeta. My favorite dynamic is when those three are competing for supremacy or at the very least, very close in power.
Agreed. I loved when Goku and Piccolo, and later Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo were constantly keeping pace with one another. Piccolo is my favorite character, so naturally I loved when he was briefly the strongest during the Frieza saga and later during the Android saga. Piccolo can easily be written back to the top (or close) if the writers want it. I'd love to see Namekian lore further explored.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:27 pm

GT Pan - She's just awesome mix of my favorite characters

Videl - Perfect wife and mother with great tomboy personality

Gohan (adult) - Great father and i prefer Gohan as a scholar and caring family member than a fighter

Chichi - Loves Goku more than he deserves it. Very underrated wife and mother that simply wants normal life and his sons to have any education.

Mr Satan - Didn't like him in Cell saga, but he became great character later on with actually good heart

Majin Buu - Very funny character with a lot of various forms

Baby - Best written villain in DB by far and the only one with real and justified motive

Kid Goku - He's so innocent and funny. That includes GT Goku to some degree as well.

Kid Goten - The same as kid Goku but times two.

Erasa - Minor character but i really liked her during those early Buu saga episodes

Kamin (SDBH) - Fun variaton of Baby-like villain. Her bother was also cool, but she was more interesting to me and had better design.

Giru - His relationship with Pan was one of the better written friendships in series honestly

King Piccolo - First real big villain of series. Very intelligent one and was more intresting when he was considered a demon, not alien.

Upa - He was cute. I wish he appeared more later on. He served good as one of Goku's friends.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta