Turtle-chan’s Great Dragon Ball Broadcast/カメちゃんのドラゴンボール大放送

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Turtle-chan’s Great Dragon Ball Broadcast/カメちゃんのドラゴンボール大放送

Post by tronk21 » Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Hello again! I bought a new tape and this time it's one from the original Dragon Ball. Here's what I got:

http://matela.stronazen.pl/9-dragon-bal ... broadcast/

This isn't a typical drama cassette tape like the ones with the audio from the movies. Those tapes contain sound material taken directly from the theatrical features with some small audio differences between drama tapes and the movies themselves such as: the lack of some character's voice or using alternate musical cue.

This tape isn't exactly like the one from the mid-Buu arc either. Granted, the latter one no longer has its sound extracted from the anime as-is but instead features performances of voice actors recorded exclusively for that tape! And the cassette is a summary of the events from the anime with dialogues similar to those in the series, only newly recorded. So I would call this tape "songs and reenactment of scenes" instead of "drama". However, the tape which is the topic of today's thread is somewhat different...

The cassette also features unique recordings of voice actors that cannot be found anywhere else besides this tape. However, there are two differences between this and the one from the Buu arc. First of all, besides the characters' lines and sound effects, which are also present in the Buu tape, this one contains the Kikuchi music! And secondly the tape doesn't summarize events from the anime in any way. The cassette contains its own original plot! So it is like a special episode of the original Dragon Ball but only in audio form. The tape is labeled as "Songs and Stories" (うたとおはなし) so I will call this type of tapes like that. Yes, I said "type" because there are other 2 tapes like that from the original series. So this thread is not all there is... I will be back here!

The plot of this tape is about how 5 friends gathered at the Kame House: the Turtle Hermit, Kuririn, Lunch, Bulma and Gokũ. The Turtle Hermit is a host of a radio programme and during its broadcast the characters: answer listeners' questions, present the news and even advertise products! Our heroes announce and play songs, which are listed on the back cover of the tape and between which those rare dialogues can be found.

I cut out all the fragments with unique recordings just for you! Now I will present more or less what happens in these scenes and share the audio materials. Please forgive my imperfect translation, which may be present here. I'm doing what I can with my limited knowledge of Japanese language, which I've been studying merely for 5 years. Feel free to correct me in some of my translated text. I'm even hoping for it. Ok, let's go!

Kuririn tries to wake the Turtle Hermit up but to no avail. He asks Lunch for help and she says this to the old man in a cute voice: "Turtle-chan, wake up." This finally wakes him up and the radio programme begins. The Turtle Hermit says the title of this cassette and lively announces the opening of Dragon Ball.

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-1.mp3

Kame Sennin says that this broadcast is transmitted from the "Kame House studio" and that this Dragon Ball programme is "pop" and "funky". He introduces himself as the DJ and Kuririn presents himself as his assistant. The old man comments that Kuririn's delivery is stiff. The boy explains that this is the first time that he is doing something like this and that he's extremely nervous. Master Roshi announces the other assistant, Miss Lunch, emphasizing her lovely body parts: "Her chest is Puri Puri (プリ プリ), her hips are Kyu Kyu" (キュ キュ)". In the meantime, Lunch greets the listeners and the Turtle Hermit regrets that they cannot see her form for she is so sweet. Kuririn tells The Hermit that he is drooling. The phone is ringing. "Who in the hell calls at such a moment?" The old man recognises Bulma's voice! She comments how he is perverted as always and confirms that she's heard the beginning of the programme. She informs that she is in a place called "Penguin Village". She says that she looked for Gokũ there and she has found him. They are on their way back. Gokũ says hi. Master Roshi asks whether he has found Gohan's Four-Star Ball yet and Gokũ complains that despite having gathered 4 Dragon Balls already, he still hasn't found the one. The Turtle Hermit invites them to his home. Lunch proposes that they play another song while they wait for Gokũ's and Bulma's arrival.

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-2.mp3

Everybody states that this is listener question time! Someone who's a big Yamucha fan has a question for the Turtle Hermit. "You lived for a couple hundred years and you still haven't gotten married?" He answers that he's an extraordinary gentleman and hasn't decided on any particular girl. That's why he's still a bachelor. Kuririn and Lunch take his answer with scepticism... The next question is for Kuririn: "Why don't you have a nose?" Kuririn says that he was created that way. Kame Sennin reminds him that it is because of his lack of nose that he defeated Bacterian at the Tenkaichi Budõkai. Kuririn cries that despite of that, he still would like to have a nose. The Turtle jokes that having a nose would ruin the balance of his face and that angeres Kuririn. Gokũ and Bulma arrive! Immediately, a listener asks Gokũ: "Where's your mom and dad?" He says that he doesn't know and that from when he was little he lived only with his grandfather. Another question for Gokũ: "Will he ever get taller?" He says that it seems that he will grow taller a little. "Who stronger - Arale Norimaki or Gokũ?" He simply doesn't know that as he hasn't fought with her yet. But if she ever entered the Tenkaichi Budõkai, Gokũ would give his all in a fight. This time the listeners have a question for Bulma: "Despite costantly having arguments with Yamucha, does she really like him? If yes that when's the wedding?" Bulma gets mad and wonders how can anyone like this kind of guy. Her friends point out to her that she's blushing. She shouts that her face is red from anger! A request is directed towards the Turtle: "I'm bullied in school everyday and I get mad going there. Please, will you make me your pupil?" The Turtle says that he has plenty of pupils already. The listener adds that if Master Roshi agrees to train him, he will introduce the Hermit to his older sister. He encloses her photo in a swimming suit. Kuririn points out that his master is drooling again. Of course, he is fond of the older sister's body. The next song begins.

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-3.mp3

The gang receives the next message from a listener. "Are everybody in the house healthy?" Master Roshi already doesn't like the listener's attitude. They continue reading: "Is the kid that looks like a monkey listening to this?" The listener's message further conveys that Gokũ has to give his Dragon Balls that he has with him to this guy! This mysterious person will get the Balls on their own sooner or later and the rest of the balls as well. If Gokũ gives his balls willingly, the listener will spare his life. The person needs them to rule the world. He finally introduces himself as Commander Red, the leader of the Red Ribbon Army! Gokũ doesn't intend to give anything to him. Bulma comments that this is a "troublesome opponent - strong and persistent". Kuririn asks if she is talking about "thickly colored fermented soybeans". Everyone's puzzled as to what he's talking about. He exlains: "They have a hard food texture and too rich a taste" ("hard" and "too rich" being the same words as "strong" and "persistent" in Japanese). The Hermit calls him an idiot. Gokũ says that he won't give away his Dragon Balls to anyone. And whatever happens, he will find his Four-Star Ball. The Turtle Hermit appraises his attitude and Kuririn wishes him good luck. The Turtle Hermit says that in order to cheer for Gokũ, they need to play an appropriate song. "With a Burning Heart: Defeat the Red Ribbon Army" begins!

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-4.mp3

Bulma begins to advertise something. "Small capsule, large dream. This is a message from Capsule Corporation." The Hoi-Poi Capsules. She says that the capsules can contain cars, airplanes and even swimming pools. Wherever one wants to travel, the capsules can be stored inside a capsule case. She lists different capsule sets such as: a bachelor set, a set for newly-weds with provisions and a relaxation set for the whole family. Anyone who buys any of those sets will receive a present in a form of a poster featuring "Bulma in a special swimming suit". Kame Sennin wants that kind of present! He says that it's time for newscast. The Turtle Hermit asks Kuririn if he can give him a news manuscript lying over there. An intense wind blows and the gang closes the window in panic. The wind caused the manuscipt to fly out the window! Now the Turtle Hermit has to present the news without any text to help him. **WARNING FROM THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST** This Kame Sennin news section is extremely difficult in terms of words, phrases and the fact that the character delivers his lines so fast. Please be aware that this may not be a correct translation. I've left out some of the sentences that he says since this is beyond my Japanese abilites. I do not wish to spread misinformation with incorrect translation so I hope someone chimes in and corrects me.**END OF WARNING** The Turtle Hermit says: "On today's morning in the Western Capital during a haiku recitation a sports car crashed its central lights with a dump truck heading from the opposite direction". And he continues with such nonsensical news such as: a boy chose Miss 17 after the crash and he became a hero. Kame Sennin's friends wonder what the hell he is talking about. The Turtle Hermit mentions something about weather and informs about some results of a sports competition, which featured a team called "Giants". Lunch comments that these are interesting news. Kuririn tells Master Roshi: "This isn't good." The latter asks Gokũ to sing something quickly and the new vocal track commences.

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-5.mp3

"Bulma's... and Lunch's... room representing maidens!" They announce in a sweet manner that they will answer every request. A little girl calls and says that in her class there's this boy who she likes. But somehow she can't become friends with him. Bulma brags that she's the perfect person to ask for this kind of advice. First of all, whatever happens the child mustn't confess to his friend that she likes him. He will tell this to his pals. So the girl should forget about directly showing the boy her feelings. "Perfume yourself to the max, get near to him, give him a wink, rub against him." The Turtle Hermit likes the advice. Kuririn shouts: "Miss Pants (パンツさん), this is a child!" Bulma corrects his friend: "BULMA!! (ブルマ)" She then gives the child another piece of advice: "Show him your notebook with your homework, everyday in school give him a smile and say 'Bye, bye!' or something like that. In any rate, make sure that he sees that you give him your special attention, got it?" She then advises the kid that she cannot confront him directly but instead she needs to flirt with and tease him. The little girl doesn't understand a thing... Gokũ says that Bulma sure has a lot to say about such matters even though she's constantly fighting with Yamucha. Bulma shouts that he's a kid and doesn't understand so he should keep his mouth shut. This time, there's a question for Lunch. A child says that something terrible has happened! The kid's flowers have withered even though they were watered everyday by the child. And the flowers were so beautiful... "God, you're so mean!" Lunch is about to give the kid some advice about the flowers when suddenly... Kuririn shouts: "A fly!" Lunch sneezes! "What the hell? You're sad about some flowers withering?!" The child says that because of this they are mourning intensively everyday. "These flowers don't bloom! And you bother us with this crap at such a busy time?!" And Blonde Lunch begins to wreak havoc. Everyone tries to calm her down by restraining her. The Turtle Hermit asks Kuririn to play some song and it begins.

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-6.mp3

Lunch demands they let her go. Kame Sennin reckons that she has somewhat calmed down. Gokũ complains that he got bitten at the back of his neck. Kuririn's foot hurts. Bulma comments that this is troublesome that every time Lunch sneezes, her personality changes. The Turtle Hermit admits that he somehow got used to this situation. He then tells everyone that they are getting near the finale of the programme. Bulma is dissapointed that it's ending already. Kuririn says that he's not entirely satisfied either. The Turtle Hermit comforts them: "Don't worry, the second part is coming out soon!" In the meantime, Gokũ is starving. The Turtle Hermit promises that he will feed his student after the broadcast. He asks Gokũ how the story in 'Dragon Ball' will go from now. He adds that he's sure small children are curious about that too. "Errr, I don't really know what will happen. But I won't let the Red Ribbon guys off the hook and I will raid their place!" Kuririn reminds him that when he gets near their headquarters, they will hire the greatest assassin in the world. Bulma says that will be problematic. But Gokũ says: "Leave him to me! Whoever stands in my way, I won't give them my Dragon Balls no matter what!" The Turtle Hermit appraises his character. Master Roshi says that once someone sets out on a journey to become stronger, the fight goes on and on. For this purpose, one must become even stronger. "There will be a day when I shall surpass you" - says the Turtle Hermit. Kuririn also promises that he will train even more and become stronger. "One day I will fight with you, Gokũ!" The Turtle Hermit quietly says that it's a little pointless. He then adds: "If you only put your heart into it, you will also become strong. So concentrate!" Bulma wishes the boys good luck. Master Roshi says that for the finale they need to add some appropriately emotionally moving line. Bulma gives her 2 cents: "Look outside the window! The setting sun is still sparkling so beautifully." The Turtle Hermit ceremoniously says: "Alright! While listening to the ending theme, let us depart towards the sunset!!" Kuririn asks what it supposed to mean... The Turtle Hermit asks if he wants to go back where he came from. Kuririn obviously denies. Lunch shouts: "What the hell, you bastards? You're preachin' about going towards the sunset and yet you tie a person up so they can't get out?!" Kuririn and Gokũ shout: "Towars the sunset... Run!" The Turtle Hermit wishes the listeners good health and shouts: "Sayonara!" The ending theme starts to be heard.

http://matela.stronazen.pl/wp-content/u ... cene-7.mp3

That's all that is on this tape. I hope that this little story is to your liking. And I sincerely hope that in the near future I will present to you the next story of this type. And all things point out to me doing just that... After all, the Turtle Hermit himself promised that the second part will be here soon so I won't trivialize his word. Wait just a couple of weeks... In the meantime, listen to the samples and have fun!
Last edited by tronk21 on Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Turtle-chan’s Great Dragon Ball Broadcast/カメちゃんのドラゴンボール大放送

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Oh, I think I recently saw Peking Duck tweet about missing this auction. Funny to see it pop up here!

I always greatly appreciate reading your posts about the cassette tapes. Thank you for this kind of research.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Turtle-chan’s Great Dragon Ball Broadcast/カメちゃんのドラゴンボール大放送

Post by tronk21 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks! The best thing is that there's more to come... But you need to wait like 3-4 weeks. Then there most probably will be a direct sequel to this thread (depending whether a tape will arrive to me in a working condition or not but they can be played in about 95 % of cases).

It's a lot work with the translation though but I think it's gratifying on its own. I sure hope someone more knowledgeable than me about Japanese will correct some of my mistranslation that I'm sure is there. Scene 5 is the most hard to translate... If someone could help even with only that one fragment, I'd be very thankful to that person!