What character can carry a TV series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBFanTalk

What character can carry a TV series?

Post by DBFanTalk » Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 pm

A series, in television format, is built around a Dragon Ball character, which follows their adventures. What character has enough potential to carry a whole season of thirteen plus episodes? I would say:

(1) Supreme Kai (2) Kami (3) Frieza (4) Vegeta (Pre-Dragon Ball Z) (5) Dabura

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What character can carry a TV series?

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pm

Caulifla and Kale make for a perfect duo for their own spin-off.

Honestly, I'd love more of Gohan and Videl's high school life, especially if it got lovey-dovey.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri May 28, 2021 4:30 pm

I want my "Wacky Misadventures of Mr. Satan and Mr. Boo" spinoff, damnit.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 28, 2021 4:31 pm

I'm down for a Freeza show.

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm

Giru! Okay, maybe he'd work more as a one-off rather than being able to carry a whole series, but I want to see what other kinds of mischeif he could get up to when left on his own.
JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pmHonestly, I'd love more of Gohan and Videl's high school life, especially if it got lovey-dovey.
Heck yes, and either have them go on terrible Great Saiyaman Duo adventures together after the Boo arc or take place in an alternate reality where Babidi and Boo never existed and life continued normally for a while longer after the tournament. Throw some Goten & Trunks shenanigans in there too, I kind of loved their dynamic with Videl in the second Broly film and I'd want to see some more of that!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Shobijin 小美人 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm Giru! Okay, maybe he'd work more as a one-off rather than being able to carry a whole series, but I want to see what other kinds of mischeif he could get up to when left on his own.
JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pmHonestly, I'd love more of Gohan and Videl's high school life, especially if it got lovey-dovey.
Heck yes, and either have them go on terrible Great Saiyaman Duo adventures together after the Boo arc or take place in an alternate reality where Babidi and Boo never existed and life continued normally for a while longer after the tournament. Throw some Goten & Trunks shenanigans in there too, I kind of loved their dynamic with Videl in the second Broly film and I'd want to see some more of that!
It'd be really cool if they just re-did the Boo stuff with Gohan and Videl as the leads while dropping the other characters' story threads, then just continue from there on with more of their school lives.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri May 28, 2021 5:53 pm

The antics of the Son family would be a kicker of a sitcom
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 28, 2021 10:13 pm

DBFanTalk wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 pmWhat character has enough potential to carry a whole season of thirteen plus episodes?
Bardock and Trunks, most definitely. Together and separately, for that matter.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 pm

Vegeta, especially his life and relationships before Earth. Saiyan culture, his brother, Raditz and things like that. Part 2 could be Earth, but about all those off screen things we have yet to see, despite how overexposed he is already.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

TheQuestioner

Post by TheQuestioner » Sat May 29, 2021 2:33 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:53 pm The antics of the Son family would be a kicker of a sitcom
I second this. Gohan or Goku alone can carry a series for me. But it would be even more amazing if each season just focuses on a different family. It would be hilarious to see the interactions of the Briefs family and also the family of Gohan. He and Videl raising Pan would make for an extremely entertaining show.
"We don't have time to be fancy."

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat May 29, 2021 2:53 am

1. Future Trunks as Time Patroller (not that bs with two identical versions of him and Mai).
2. Ginyu Tokusentai a.k.a. Super Sentai (Power Rangers) show.
3. Bardock adventures (his past, meeting Gine, etc).
4. Yamcha. Spinnoff manga was great. One could say it's not really Yamcha but their characters are almost 1:1.
5. Jaco.
6. Pride Troopers a.k.a. Super Sentai (Power Rangers) show.
7. Great Saiyaman with Goten as lead, just like in Toyotarou's DBAF, where he was very bad at doing his job.

But the ones who can really, really carry a tv show are... Trunks and Bardock.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat May 29, 2021 3:26 am

Anyone from Z fighter gang. They're just that awesome. Give them to hardcore fanboy & he'd create millions of backstory/badass storyline/fights & TV show wud be 🔥

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 29, 2021 5:23 am

Vijay wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:26 am Anyone from Z fighter gang. They're just that awesome. Give them to hardcore fanboy & he'd create millions of backstory/badass storyline/fights & TV show wud be 🔥
This is the correct answer
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 am

Make me lead writer and I'll give you a TV series about the adventures of Black and Zamasu slaughtering ningens across the cosmos. We even have an ending song ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdsHqI-stQ

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 29, 2021 9:34 am

Jaco.

Gohan if we switch focus to a goofy parody of super heroes

Pride Troopers if we drop the dead weight (Jiren)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 am

Vegeta's life before Earth but only if there's a central narrative and not "Vegeta just doing evil stuff and getting called a Monkey for 13 episodes"

A Curb Your Enthusiasm style show about either Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, or all three.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 29, 2021 10:53 am

I think Bardock’s youth years would yield an interesting tv series. Basically, a story from how Saiyans used to live in Sadala before the Cold family took their liberty.

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pm Caulifla and Kale make for a perfect duo for their own spin-off.

Honestly, I'd love more of Gohan and Videl's high school life, especially if it got lovey-dovey.
This is giving me Spiderman vibes. I would definitely watch this.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 am Make me lead writer and I'll give you a TV series about the adventures of Black and Zamasu slaughtering ningens across the cosmos. We even have an ending song ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdsHqI-stQ
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 And you'd finally fulfill Zamasu's wish. By makin you lead writer given your fetish for Ningen guy on top of that TV series featurin Zamasu & Black 🤣 every single DB fan will die on spot.

Just out of curiosity man. I don't wish to drift this topic elsewhere...but can't you see just how superficial those fellas are? All they do is preach abt ningen or slaughter or cry 😂 kikiki

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat May 29, 2021 1:48 pm

A lot of them, actually. I really want to just stay in another universe for a while but even in U7 there's a lot of characters we know basically nothing about. My money would be on Yamcha. A Yamcha manga where he's a part time Ginga Patrol member would be interesting, but mostly I wonder where Yamcha even comes from and who taught him how to fight. How is his life when he's not around the main cast. There's a pretty good fan-manga that delves into this, but I don't like all the ideas in that one. Cool read though.

Tien's the same say. Who are his parents? What's his past about? What about the supposed alien race he's a descendant of? Lots of mysteries. Personality-wise, Tien probably couldn't carry a show by himself unless a great writer was involved. That said, I could definitely watch an action/comedy series with Krillin, Roshi, Tien, Chaozu, and Yamcha as Ginga Patrol fill-ins.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-