What character can carry a TV series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: What character can carry a TV series?

Post by Yuji » Sat May 29, 2021 2:18 pm

I think they could get a lot of mileage from a Time Patrol show with Trunks as the main character, even if it's purely from a commercial stand point as a tie in to the videogames.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Vijay wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 am Make me lead writer and I'll give you a TV series about the adventures of Black and Zamasu slaughtering ningens across the cosmos. We even have an ending song ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdsHqI-stQ
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 And you'd finally fulfill Zamasu's wish. By makin you lead writer given your fetish for Ningen guy on top of that TV series featurin Zamasu & Black 🀣 every single DB fan will die on spot.

Just out of curiosity man. I don't wish to drift this topic elsewhere...but can't you see just how superficial those fellas are? All they do is preach abt ningen or slaughter or cry πŸ˜‚ kikiki
That would be out of topic and you'd be made to concede anyway, so it's pointless.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 29, 2021 3:22 pm

I think that a mini series about Trunks after the Goku Black arc would be good for further exploration of his character/drama.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 29, 2021 4:03 pm

More like Bulma's drama in deciding which gift to give to Trunkses. Or Mais consistently kissing the wrong Trunkses. That's the best we can get with an ending like that. :roll:
β€’ We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into. β€’

~ Day of the Machines ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 29, 2021 4:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 4:03 pm More like Bulma's drama in deciding which gift to give to Trunkses. Or Mais consistently kissing the wrong Trunkses. That's the best we can get with an ending like that. :roll:
I was thinking more along the lines of Trunks suffering from trauma and him trying to overcome it but ok sure

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:35 pm

Vegeta. His life before Earth from childhood to an adult could give a nice introspective to his character and put Dragon Ball in a direction where it never went before.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:45 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 2:25 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 am Make me lead writer and I'll give you a TV series about the adventures of Black and Zamasu slaughtering ningens across the cosmos. We even have an ending song ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvdsHqI-stQ
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 And you'd finally fulfill Zamasu's wish. By makin you lead writer given your fetish for Ningen guy on top of that TV series featurin Zamasu & Black 🀣 every single DB fan will die on spot.

Just out of curiosity man. I don't wish to drift this topic elsewhere...but can't you see just how superficial those fellas are? All they do is preach abt ningen or slaughter or cry πŸ˜‚ kikiki
That would be out of topic and you'd be made to concede anyway, so it's pointless.

Look I like you a lot and I like that you love Zamasu...But this post has finally made me worry. Why not a Zamasu focused spinoff that actually shows his side? The incompetence of the celestial system and his character development that drove him to do what he did. Your latest post gave me the impression of someone who one day could shoot up a school or something.
Marz wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: ↑Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 6:45 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Look I like you a lot and I like that you love Zamasu...But this post has finally made me worry. Why not a Zamasu focused spinoff that actually shows his side? The incompetence of the celestial system and his character development that drove him to do what he did. Your latest post gave me the impression of someone who one day could shoot up a school or something.
The official show and manga already did that :think:

Also, huh, that was a weird tonal shift, but No I'm not a school shooter, I'm just someone who paid attention to the Story and character writing and noticed that Zamasu was morally complex.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Sat May 29, 2021 7:52 pm

1) C17 & C18 (before they got turned into androids)
2) Adult Goten and Trunks (going on adventures)

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Kappa wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 7:52 pm 2) Adult Goten and Trunks (going on adventures)
What GT should have included :roll:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:14 pm

The Ginyu Tokusentai were made for it since day one, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Just seeing them tear around the galaxy, enslaving civilisations on behalf of Freeza-sama, and generally being the deplorable, hilarious bastards they've always been. I'd quite like to see their ridiculous origin stories play out, like Butta racing with his brothers to the dinner table like the RED Scout and Recoome's ballet training. The Namek arc shows us snippets of their dynamics which would be great to explore. Why are Jeice and Butta closer than the rest? Did Guldo only recently scrape it onto the roster, explaining why the others are more dismissive of him (maybe Bonyu got KIA)? Funnily enough, I recently discovered that Ooishi has been drawing a spin-off manga about a parody of the squad, though it's basically an advert-comic where they promote various products. Maybe one day she can upgrade to canonical Ginyu miniseries!

Many of the other universes in the Tournament of Power could conceivably carry their own shows, but I'm less interested now because I realise many of them are just parodies of common genres. Like Universe 2 would just be a generic magical-girl anime, Universe 11 would just be a superhero show, so it goes.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:26 am

Oob as younger kid how he finds out that he is incredibly πŸ’ͺ strong
Hellsing

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 30, 2021 7:32 am

I remember someone pitching the idea of a Ginyu Force spinoff, styled like an over-the-top propaganda cartoon for the Frieza force, overdramatizing the adventures of the heroic fighters "liberating" various planets, kind of like The Clone Wars but even further exaggerated. I always thought that sounded fun.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun May 30, 2021 10:58 am

Not any one particular character but I would love a slice of life spin off.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun May 30, 2021 7:10 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 8:14 pm The Ginyu Tokusentai were made for it since day one, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Just seeing them tear around the galaxy, enslaving civilisations on behalf of Freeza-sama, and generally being the deplorable, hilarious bastards they've always been. I'd quite like to see their ridiculous origin stories play out, like Butta racing with his brothers to the dinner table like the RED Scout and Recoome's ballet training. The Namek arc shows us snippets of their dynamics which would be great to explore. Why are Jeice and Butta closer than the rest? Did Guldo only recently scrape it onto the roster, explaining why the others are more dismissive of him (maybe Bonyu got KIA)? Funnily enough, I recently discovered that Ooishi has been drawing a spin-off manga about a parody of the squad, though it's basically an advert-comic where they promote various products. Maybe one day she can upgrade to canonical Ginyu miniseries!

Many of the other universes in the Tournament of Power could conceivably carry their own shows, but I'm less interested now because I realise many of them are just parodies of common genres. Like Universe 2 would just be a generic magical-girl anime, Universe 11 would just be a superhero show, so it goes.
I need that Ginyu Tokusentai show and I need it NOW!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Sat May 29, 2021 8:14 pm The Ginyu Tokusentai were made for it since day one, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Just seeing them tear around the galaxy, enslaving civilisations on behalf of Freeza-sama, and generally being the deplorable, hilarious bastards they've always been. I'd quite like to see their ridiculous origin stories play out, like Butta racing with his brothers to the dinner table like the RED Scout and Recoome's ballet training. The Namek arc shows us snippets of their dynamics which would be great to explore. Why are Jeice and Butta closer than the rest? Did Guldo only recently scrape it onto the roster, explaining why the others are more dismissive of him (maybe Bonyu got KIA)? Funnily enough, I recently discovered that Ooishi has been drawing a spin-off manga about a parody of the squad, though it's basically an advert-comic where they promote various products. Maybe one day she can upgrade to canonical Ginyu miniseries!

I dunno, the Ginyus could definitely pull off a 1 hour special, but I don't think they could carry a multi-year show.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 31, 2021 2:22 am

PurestEvil wrote: ↑Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 am

I dunno, the Ginyus could definitely pull off a 1 hour special, but I don't think they could carry a multi-year show.
Why does it have to be multi-year?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon May 31, 2021 12:11 pm

I would like to mention:
I believe Toriyama said that if he would write another story, he would have Mr. Satan as the MC.
I guess that could work out.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Piccolo for sure.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am

Bardock.

The next generation, too. Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Uub, Pan.