What character can carry a TV series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: What character can carry a TV series?

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:08 am

The stuff with Mr.Satan and Fat Buu in the Buu arc feels like the backstory of a comedy series featuring those two that we never got; though perhaps something like that would have felt too similar to Dr. Slump to be worth doing.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:19 pm

there can easily be a very small mini series on the disaster that befallen Namek, and how the nameless namekian escaped and arrived on Earth. His journey on Earth as he fought Garlic, approached the current guardian, and how he had to separate himself from his evil self to become guardian of Earth. And also the details surrounding King Piccolos first rampage and how Roshi, Shen, and Mutiato sealed Piccolo in the jar.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Android19
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Android19 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:29 am

Definitely Trunks with his whole backstory.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:31 am

I'd love a Trunks remake as a series directed by Yama'uchi Shigeyasu. It'd be so cool to see a full-on dark series in the vain of Casshern Sins that followed Future Gohan from post-Namek through his death and then Future Trunks' story from there on.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:31 am I'd love a Trunks remake as a series directed by Yama'uchi Shigeyasu. It'd be so cool to see a full-on dark series in the vain of Casshern Sins that followed Future Gohan from post-Namek through his death and then Future Trunks' story from there on.
You're speaking my language and its scary!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:17 am

I'm a bit biased, but I'd take a Piccolo Jr. series following him being hatched from the egg, all the way through his fusing with Kami. So we'd see his training as he grows up hating Goku for 3 years. It would be interesting see Dragon Ball from an initially evil character's pespective, and it would allow us to explore his psychology further as we see him change through Gohan (something which happens quite quickly in the manga especially). A Future Trunks series with Future Gohan is another one I'd take, as it would be delightuflly dark, and I feel like a Krillin show would be hilarious.

Other than that, I'd be most interested in Dragon Ball developing the "future generation" characters like Goten and present Trunks, Pan, Marron, Bulla, etc. since I believe forward is the way to go with the franchise. It would be great seeing these characters come into their own with their own supporting casts and villains, and they desperately need some development. The older characters could be available in mentor roles.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:13 am

Probably Future Trunks after the Zamasu arc: having him and Mai existing in a world where there are already doubles of them was a great idea and could lead to very interesting adventures in case of a new enemy.

They would just need a sure way to distinguish the two sets, so the duo we know would probably be left unscathed while some battle at the beginning would give the other Trunks and Mai some kind of mark, like a scar on the face or something.

It would be interesting in how our Trunks and Mai can fit in a world where their place is already taken, whether they feel troubled by it like they don't really belong or totally fine and like they just have twins, kinda like siblings in the end.
It would be possible that with a new threat, the two duos would diverge in their behaviors, since they haven't lived through the same things in the end. What if the other Mai was killed by the new enemy? How would the other Trunks cope with it without having seen the gang of the past to help him in tough times, and with the fact of seeing another perfectly fine Mai being well and happy but already taken by another him who's lucky enough to still have her? Would he start becoming darker and vengeful, while our Trunks would represent the "hope" he can't have anymore? Would he be obsessed with the enemy and starting to take inconsiderate or selfish decisions, much to the dismay of our "everlasting power of hope", "for all people" Trunks?

Whether things happen in a positive way in general or turn out dark for one of the duos, it's a very interesting premise to have a "double duo", one of which having lived through terrible things and having been lucky enough to make it out, while the other will never know about such tragedy... or won't they?

There are tons of interesting premises in putting someone face to face with another himself in another world with different turns of events. How do you consider your place? How do you consider your link with your other self? Does it generate positivity or conflict and doubts? And when new things happen, does it consolidate your own self and give you the most reliable of allies, or do you unexpectedly diverge from your other self who isn't totally you in the end?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:16 am

Something in Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu style, featuring Gohan&Videl, Kuririn and Vegeta family, Buu/Satan (Just don't give Buu Super personality) :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:04 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 am Vegeta's life before Earth but only if there's a central narrative and not "Vegeta just doing evil stuff and getting called a Monkey for 13 episodes"
Oh man that is such a great idea :shock:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Finally found enough spoons to watch Kare Kano Episode #1. I was floored. Masterpiece. How even...just...wow. Anyway, Miyazawa Yukino reminds me of Blooma so much. Imagine a retelling of Dragon Ball from Blooma's POV with Anno's masterful directing style! Wow.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:21 am

Oob as the successor to Goku as the Earth's Guardian...

Also, Yamcha as a professional baseball player.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:47 pm

Honestly, I think all the characters could carry a TV series if you alter the Genre the series would be in.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:01 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:47 pm Honestly, I think all the characters could carry a TV series if you alter the Genre the series would be in.
I think that's the secret appeal of Dragon Ball. It can fit neatly in different genres with slight tweaks.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:47 pm Honestly, I think all the characters could carry a TV series if you alter the Genre the series would be in.
Totally agreed. It's already an entirely different show with anyone but Goku as the main lead.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 pm
Totally agreed. It's already an entirely different show with anyone but Goku as the main lead.
BWri wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:01 pm
I think that's the secret appeal of Dragon Ball. It can fit neatly in different genres with slight tweaks.
Imagine a show in the vein of South Park, starring Oolong and Puar.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:21 pm

You know...I'd love a superhero/detective-style TV show following pigtail-wearing Videl's crime fighting exploits. I can see it have a banger of an opening theme, too.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:54 pm

It's been said many times before, but Mr. Satan and Mr. Boo on a road trip would be neat.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:50 am

Krillin!!

I would love to see his childhood as a monk

and then like a american sitcom series of his family life with his daughter and A-18 in roshi's house, you know that is golden material XD