Level sets back in stock on Amazon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Level sets back in stock on Amazon

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 29, 2021 4:46 am

https://www.amazon.ca/Dragon-Ball-Level ... arketplace

https://www.amazon.ca/Dragon-Ball-Level ... arketplace

Just seen this for anyone whose interested. Very limited quantities though.

They are pricey, but still better than scalpers prices.

Not that it means anything but this is the second time I've seen them relisted on Amazon. Probably just a box of unsold discs that was lying around in a warehouse, but nice to know there are still a few new copies out there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Re: Level sets back in stock on Amazon

Post by Godgoku95 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:05 pm

OMG its almost my birthday so these sets came back at the best time

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Good news for those who want episodes 1-35 in HD quality (how unfortunate that Levels 2.1 and 2.2 got shelved) and don't want to pay scalper prices for both sets.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 am

isn't it weird we're suddenly getting these again?

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:55 am

Godgoku95 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 am isn't it weird we're suddenly getting these again?
Oh no, don't get my hopes up! Not after I finished buying all the 30th steelbooks...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 am

I still think the fact they never finished “season one” kind of renders these sets useless and obsolete. Like why buy them when you’re going to have to buy the same episodes on the blue ray season one set/Steelbook just to own episode 36-39 anyways?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 amI still think the fact they never finished “season one” kind of renders these sets useless and obsolete. Like why buy them when you’re going to have to buy the same episodes on the blue ray season one set/Steelbook just to own episode 36-39 anyways?
Because this fandom has a bafflingly bizarre complex about wasting god knows how much ludicrous amounts of money rebuying the same exact episodes of DBZ over and over and over and over again in various formats, as well as a level of videophilia and audiophilia nitpickery that crosses over into outright "neurological disorder" territory.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am rebuying the same exact episodes of DBZ over and over and over and over again in various formats
Or you want each episode in the highest quality available and prefer the Dragon Boxes to the extremely compromised Season sets.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 am
Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am rebuying the same exact episodes of DBZ over and over and over and over again in various formats
Or you want each episode in the highest quality available and prefer the Dragon Boxes to the extremely compromised Season sets.
The Dragon Boxes were complete though. If you own all the Dragon Boxes you literally have no reason to buy the series again.

If you own the complete level sets , congrats, you’re just gonna have to rebuy the exact same episodes just to own an additional 4 episodes.

I truly truly feel bad for fans who were buying the Ultimate Uncut dvds or the Level sets only for Funimation to cancel them midway in favor of crappier season sets. But yeah there’s no reason to seek out either .

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:00 am

Were these the sets with missing frames as part of the remaster?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am
LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 am
The Dragon Boxes were complete though. If you own all the Dragon Boxes you literally have no reason to buy the series again.

If you own the complete level sets , congrats, you’re just gonna have to rebuy the exact same episodes just to own an additional 4 episodes.

I truly truly feel bad for fans who were buying the Ultimate Uncut dvds or the Level sets only for Funimation to cancel them midway in favor of crappier season sets. But yeah there’s no reason to seek out either .
Which is why i'm glad that i found the Dragon Boxes for the prices i did, and now have a consistent collection of all 291 episodes in good quality. It was a drawn out process sure though given all the other releases were awful or mediocre i didn't really have much of a choice in terms of getting the series complete in 4:3.

Wow, FUNi sure made this more difficult than it needs to be. Just re releasing the UUE/singles video on the Orange Bricks with tweaking for better encoding would've been fine as is, there was literally no need for the garbage DNR or fake widescreen.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 amThe Dragon Boxes were complete though. If you own all the Dragon Boxes you literally have no reason to buy the series again.
There were numerous people on this forum awhile back - mind you back when the level sets were first announced, not even released yet - who were already selling off their fully complete sets of Dragon Boxes, in anticipation for "upgrading" to the level sets.

Don't get me wrong, FUNimation are absolute piles of shit in general for their various awful business practices and thoroughly inept releases... but at the same time, a lot of fans also have no one to blame but themselves for utterly asinine, OCD-like shopping decisions like these. There's being a fan who collects something for a hobby, and then there's just being a complete bozo with the spending impulses of a heroin junkie.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 amWow, FUNi sure made this more difficult than it needs to be. Just re releasing the UUE/singles video on the Orange Bricks with tweaking for better encoding would've been fine as is, there was no literally need for the garbage DNR or fake widescreen.
Making things far more difficult than they ever needed to be has been FUNimation's entire M.O. with Dragon Ball as a whole since day 1, moment 1 in 1996. But yeah, I would've HAPPILY just settled for a slightly better encoded version of the singles' video in a more compressed/affordable set.

That's really ALL they ever needed to do from the getgo, and the fact that they literally went far out of their way, spending time, money, and resources to fuck even THAT up is a testament to the sheer level of ego and incompetence that's always been at the foundations of that company (who's acquisition of DB we all need to remember was 100% entirely due to sheer nepotism) right from the getgo.

If DB wasn't such a golden goose that didn't basically print money quite literally no matter WHAT you do to it, there's no way on god's green earth that FUNimation would've lasted well into the 2000s and beyond, much less have become such a juggernaut of the Western anime licensing industry. They succeeded completely in spite of themselves, largely on the strength of Toriyama and Toei's work basically dragging them almost kicking and screaming into perpetual profitability. Textbook example of "failing upward".
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 amThe Dragon Boxes were complete though. If you own all the Dragon Boxes you literally have no reason to buy the series again.
There were numerous people on this forum awhile back - mind you back when the level sets were first announced, not even released yet - who were already selling off their fully complete sets of Dragon Boxes, in anticipation for "upgrading" to the level sets.
I can sort of understand the mentality behind upgrading. Though I’m not sure what made anyone think the Level Sets would be an upgrade from the Dragon Boxes other than Funimation probably used the ol “Watch Dragon Ball Z! The way it was meant to be seen! “ As they do literally every time they re release the series. But buying the level sets now? When you know damn well it’s an incomplete release and unless you only care about just those episodes (which is statistically incredibly doubtful) you’re gonna own those episodes twice anyways?

It’s shitty that Funimation pulled that stunt TWICE. But we don’t need to encourage them.

[

Making things far more difficult than they ever needed to be has been FUNimation's entire M.O. with Dragon Ball as a whole since day 1, moment 1 in 1996. But yeah, I would've HAPPILY just settled for a slightly better encoded version of the singles' video in a more compressed/affordable set.

That's really ALL they ever needed to do from the getgo, and the fact that they literally went far out of their way, spending time, money, and resources to fuck even THAT up is a testament to the sheer level of ego and incompetence that's always been at the foundations of that company (who's acquisition of DB we all need to remember was 100% entirely due to sheer nepotism) right from the getgo.
And I’m sort of sympathetic to what ever lack of foresight and inexperience Funimation had in the beginning that lead to them not having home video rights for the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball and first 67 episodes of Z. But they’ve had exclusive rights to the entire franchise since 2009 ish and they’re still pulling garbage business practices when it comes to releasing the series.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 amIf you own all the Dragon Boxes you literally have no reason to buy the series again.
That's not my point. If you bought the DBoxes at the time, and then bought the Levels, you're still significantly upgrading those 34 episodes. It's not ideal, but a 13-hour chunk of HD is better than no HD at all. Yes, that makes DBox 1 only worth 8 episodes, but then we're onto how much anyone is personally willing to pay for OOP DBZ discs.

I mean, I wouldn't recommend paying $87 for that upgrade, but there's no way of buying the series from scratch that I'd actually recommend at the moment.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 amIf you own all the Dragon Boxes you literally have no reason to buy the series again.
significantly upgrading those 34 episodes. It's not ideal, but a 13-hour chunk of HD is better than no HD at all. Yes, that makes DBox 1 only worth 8 episodes, but then we're onto how much anyone is personally willing to pay for OOP DBZ discs.
And again what good is any of that?

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:06 pm

Shobijin 小美人 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:55 am
Godgoku95 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 am isn't it weird we're suddenly getting these again?
Oh no, don't get my hopes up! Not after I finished buying all the 30th steelbooks...
I wouldn't. It's likely that Funimation found a few crates of them lying around in a warehouse and put them up for sale. It'd be nice if they could find a few crates of the Rock the Dragon set lying around too, but what are you gonna do?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:06 pm
I wouldn't. It's likely that Funimation found a few crates of them lying around in a warehouse and put them up for sale. It'd be nice if they could find a few crates of the Rock the Dragon set lying around too, but what are you gonna do?
Rock the Dragon was relisted on Amazon UK back in 2016, although it appeared to be a private seller with a few extra copies, and Manga UK decided not to release it, which was a shame. Presumably all the warehouse copies have been sold hence it's so sought after.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 pm And again what good is any of that?
I'm just saying that, for a lot of people, 10% HD followed by 90% SD is better than 100% SD. It doesn't have to be all or nothing and there probably won't be a better release for the foreseeable future.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:14 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:14 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:06 pm
Rock the Dragon was relisted on Amazon UK back in 2016, although it appeared to be a private seller with a few extra copies, and Manga UK decided not to release it, which was a shame. Presumably all the warehouse copies have been sold hence it's so sought after.
It could still happen, the guy I bought this round of level sets from was selling brand new DBox 5s too. I know that's not one of the "rare" ones, but it suggests that there's more in that warehouse than just one set of old stock.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:44 pm

i got mine and they're in the wrapping