Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Re: Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 pm
DrBriefsCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:33 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm

I wouldn’t say the edited dub was too sanitized for a TV-Y7 rating. The problem is the uncut dub is TV-14 (the same rating Family Guy gets) and is overtly sanitized
I meant too sanitized for use in an uncut dub, because Funi just lazily ported over dialog from the edited version on Toonami.
I mean the thing is they didn’t? There was enough dialog differences between the two often completely tame dialog in the uncut dub would be even more tame in the edited version. It seemed like the sanitized uncut dub was produced first and the Toonami safe version was further edited down from that
What are you talking about? Examples?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:58 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm
DrBriefsCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:33 pm
I meant too sanitized for use in an uncut dub, because Funi just lazily ported over dialog from the edited version on Toonami.
I mean the thing is they didn’t? There was enough dialog differences between the two often completely tame dialog in the uncut dub would be even more tame in the edited version. It seemed like the sanitized uncut dub was produced first and the Toonami safe version was further edited down from that
What are you talking about? :eh:
Some examples

Uncut dub
Goku: Pit stop? What does that mean?
Bulma: I need to pee lame brain!

Edited dub
Goku: Pit stop what does that mean?
Bulma: Goku!

Uncut dub
Bulma: What do you do? Super glue it to your butt?

Edited dub
Bulma: What do you do? Superglue it to your back?

Uncut dub
Oolong!Bulma: Master Roshi! You are so incredibly sexy! I just love the way you blew up that mountain! Even now my heart is beating like a drum. Boom boom.

Edited dub
Oolong!Bulma: Master Roshi! You are so incredibly handsome. You know you should call me sometime [scene of Oolong as Bulma making puff puff motions removed even though uncut dub already sanitized it to be about her heart beating like a drum]

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:58 pm
DrBriefsCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm

What are you talking about? :eh:
Some examples

Uncut dub
Goku: Pit stop? What does that mean?
Bulma: I need to pee lame brain!

Edited dub
Goku: Pit stop what does that mean?
Bulma: Goku!

Uncut dub
Bulma: What do you do? Super glue it to your butt?

Edited dub
Bulma: What do you do? Superglue it to your back?

Uncut dub
Oolong!Bulma: Master Roshi! You are so incredibly sexy! I just love the way you blew up that mountain! Even now my heart is beating like a drum. Boom boom.

Edited dub
Oolong!Bulma: Master Roshi! You are so incredibly handsome. You know you should call me sometime [scene of Oolong as Bulma making puff puff motions removed even though uncut dub already sanitized it to be about her heart beating like a drum]
How is the uncut one sanitized?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 pm

You should add the Japanese dialog MasenkoHa.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:24 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:08 pm
Be more specific. In general or in the examples I gave? Because all the dialog in the uncut dub I referenced was already tame. Cartoon Network shows use the word butt all the time. And the edited version changed it to back. Plenty of kids show say sexy (including DBZ were the Toonami broadcast version kept Buu asking a girl if she thought Buu was sexy) and the edited version changed it to handsome.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:24 pm
Be more specific. In general or in the examples I gave? Because all the dialog in the uncut dub I referenced was already tame. Cartoon Network shows use the word butt all the time. And the edited version changed it to back. Plenty of kids show say sexy (including DBZ were the Toonami broadcast version kept Buu asking a girl if she thought Buu was sexy) and the edited version changed it to handsome.
You need to work on your grammar. :yawn:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 pm You should add the Japanese dialog MasenkoHa.
Not the point. The point is the uncut dub had tame dialog and the edited version made it even more tame. The only time where the Japanese dialog is relevant is when Oolong as Bulma is explaining pafu pafu to Roshi. The uncut dub watered it down to him/her comparing her heart beating like a drum and the edited version just removed the footage entirely

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:31 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:24 pm
You need to work on your grammar. :yawn:
I’m sorry. Which part of my post are you having trouble understanding?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:21 am

I planned to -- and this is proving to be a lot more annoying to start than I cared for -- do a comparison between the dubs and original versions, going line for line, and compiling all of the differences. Dragon Ball was going to be my first stop (logically). And as an added bonus, I was going to throw in the Blue Water dub too. Again, only problem is that it's pretty time-consuming and I'm very busy. I wish I had more time to indulge in my dumb little hobbies like this.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:55 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:35 am Don't like it. Wish they had just done a replacement score, preferably Faulconer. Don't like the narrator. Don't like the actors. Don't like the dialogue.
Lord help us all if Funimation had decided to have Team Faulconer replace Dragon Ball’s bgm. The “goofy” music in Z was painful and would have made up a majority of the music for early Dragon Ball
I wouldn't have minded a replacement score myself for the sake of consistency like the other poster said, sure the purist DBZ fans would've hated the replacement score but they were a tiny portion of the millions watching DBZ every week, so ultimately their opinions were in the minority at the time. Anyways I caught a few episodes of the second dub when it was airing on Toonami in the 2000s and it seemed fine enough though not as good as Z, i'd have to rewatch it before deciding my true feelings on it.
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:34 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:14 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am Right, I don't get this "all or nothing" mentality. Small steps are what leads to improvement, and anything is a step in the right direction, even if the rest of the product isn't up to par.
Small steps in the right direction? What kind of shit is that? It's a business, not arts and crafts. If FUNimation don't want to get stomped out by the competition, they have to play hard and that means big fucking swings. If the rest of the product ain't up to par, then you chuck it out the window. And if for some reason you don't, then don't insult the consumers or embarrass yourself with the competition by coming out with half-assed bullshit products. Just go hard in the opposite direction instead. At least then you can be honest with everybody.

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am I think Dragon Ball is more in line with their Yu Yu Hakusho dub which started at the exact same time, where they were starting to make the right choices but still punching things up liberally. On the flipside, GT was clearly Barry Watson trying to keep in line with the DBZ philosophy since it was still action oriented and a continuation, but taking it to the dumbest extreme.
And look at how Hakusho turned out. Another half-assed release. At least with GT, they took it to an extreme, dumb or not. They saw what was working for them and pushed forward without compromise. That's how you do.
Not a single word you just wrote makes any kind of sense in the context of the post you replied to. The "product not up to par" that i am speaking of is *dun dun dun* THE DRAGON BALL Z DUB. If Dragon Ball is half-assed, than DBZ is as no-assed as Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus.

And I like how you singled out Yu Yu Hakusho as evidence that it doesn't work when it's not only one of their most successful properties, but its dub is strangely well regarded even in spite of its creative liberties in part because of the bare minimum of respect given to it.

The only reason Dragon Ball isn't as successful as Z in America is because of its perception as a prequel and it's the part of the series without all of the big earth destroying blasts and transformations that has defined DB's image. Even in Japan and other countries that got the series faithfully in order, original DB doesn't get even a tenth as much attention as Z.
Definitely disagree on Miley and Swift, they clearly put a great deal of effort into their music and unlike the DBZ dub they've gotten a lot of critical acclaim from respected outlets, so that comparison really does not make any kind of sense to me as you're comparing two completely different forms of media.

I don't feel quite as strongly about the DB dub keeping the original music, it's a weird choice for sure but i'm kind of indifferent to it. Would a replacement score have helped DB get better ratings on Toonami? Maybe maybe not, we'll never know for sure.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm snip
I was making a crass joke about skinny white women.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:31 pm
Ah OK my mistake :lol:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:14 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:59 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I mean, i've seen worse dubs than that like 4Kids One Piece. Now that was an absolute travesty and by far the worst dub they did though most of their others like the earlier seasons of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were actually decent for the most part, sure they had their infamous paint edits and such but on the whole not bad but One Piece was definitely their biggest mistake though it's not all on them.
I see.
Yes, and oh boy it was bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI&t=6s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDBrar7AdA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=we-cFr-I_F8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKibWs6-wsU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT83Gsy59mk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWkBLhXOF4
Funnily enough 4Kids did actually record a full English version of "We Are" that was shown off at conventions, and it was actually Toei that insisted on them doing an original song, so you have them to thank for that infamous One Piece rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHO6DtFJ-Y
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:19 pm
Aim wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 pm
I’d be so angry if I was the One Piece creator or Toei if this is what I saw a foreigner do to my creation.
Yeah, it really makes me wonder if Oda saw any of the 4Kids dub back in the day because i'll bet if so he was probably quite mortified by how awful it was and how much the show had been bastardized due to all the rewrites and editing. Thank god FUNi picked it up a few years later because they made an actual good dub which is a world of difference in every respect.

The 4Kids dub was really an unfortunate tragedy, it could've been good but the direction and awful mandated censorship among other things killed it.
Yeah it was a real tragedy. Ironically Funimation was originally considered to dub it before 4Kids(which I learned via DBZ Uncensored 2), but the bad reputation of the DBZ dub in the east made Toei have second thoughts and decide to go with 4Kids instead(plus having a potentially bigger audience due to not requiring people to have cable to watch it was no doubt an enticing prospect).
Shaddy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am ...One Piece later got a good dub, while Dragon Ball only eventually got to something presentable with Kai, decades after the show ended. Which is better, don't get me wrong, but you're making a false equivalence to fit opinions driven by nostalgia.

Dragon Ball succeeded in spite of it's dub. One Piece didn't fail because of it's dub, it failed because it got fucked around across like three different networks and a bunch of timeslots while never being able to air fully in any of them. 4kids was just as terrible on Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Sonic X, yet those shows saw success where One Piece didn't. There is no meaningful difference in quality between any of these dubs, and if you want to equate them to suit a narrative, you have to make sure that narrative is actually consistent.

If you say "Dragon Ball succeeded because of Funi's changes", you're either saying that the show wasn't as good before they fucked with it, or that American children possess the unique trait of thinking bad things are good in a way no other version of the show would be able to capitalize on.
I don't know if a more faithful dub of DBZ would've succeeded, possibly but we'll never know for sure.

4Kids was IMO pretty good on those other shows, heck they are the only reason Sonic X even got a season 3 as the show was not nearly as succesful ratings wise in Japan as it was over here and it had actually originally been cancelled for season 2 in its original run, but it was doing so well on Kids WB that 4kids literally paid the original studio to create a third season.

There was actually one piece of music in the dub of the first Pokemon movie that the original composer found so beautiful that he actually cried, so i'd say that's a pretty strong vote in favor of Pokemon not being nearly as bad as their dub of One Piece. There's a world of difference in quality as those were all dubs 4Kids actually wanted to make, whereas One Piece was something they were only contractually obligated to do.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:31 pm
Ah OK my mistake :lol:
Funnily enough 4Kids did actually record a full English version of "We Are" that was shown off at conventions, and it was actually Toei that insisted on them doing an original song, so you have them to thank for that infamous One Piece rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHO6DtFJ-Y
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:19 pm
Aim wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 pm

I’d be so angry if I was the One Piece creator or Toei if this is what I saw a foreigner do to my creation.
Yeah, it really makes me wonder if Oda saw any of the 4Kids dub back in the day because i'll bet if so he was probably quite mortified by how awful it was and how much the show had been bastardized due to all the rewrites and editing. Thank god FUNi picked it up a few years later because they made an actual good dub which is a world of difference in every respect.

The 4Kids dub was really an unfortunate tragedy, it could've been good but the direction and awful mandated censorship among other things killed it.
Yeah it was a real tragedy. Ironically Funimation was originally considered to dub it before 4Kids(which I learned via DBZ Uncensored 2), but the bad reputation of the DBZ dub in the east made Toei have second thoughts and decide to go with 4Kids instead(plus having a potentially bigger audience due to not requiring people to have cable to watch it was no doubt an enticing prospect).
Shaddy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am ...One Piece later got a good dub, while Dragon Ball only eventually got to something presentable with Kai, decades after the show ended. Which is better, don't get me wrong, but you're making a false equivalence to fit opinions driven by nostalgia.

Dragon Ball succeeded in spite of it's dub. One Piece didn't fail because of it's dub, it failed because it got fucked around across like three different networks and a bunch of timeslots while never being able to air fully in any of them. 4kids was just as terrible on Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Sonic X, yet those shows saw success where One Piece didn't. There is no meaningful difference in quality between any of these dubs, and if you want to equate them to suit a narrative, you have to make sure that narrative is actually consistent.

If you say "Dragon Ball succeeded because of Funi's changes", you're either saying that the show wasn't as good before they fucked with it, or that American children possess the unique trait of thinking bad things are good in a way no other version of the show would be able to capitalize on.
I don't know if a more faithful dub of DBZ would've succeeded, possibly but we'll never know for sure.

4Kids was IMO pretty good on those other shows, heck they are the only reason Sonic X even got a season 3 as the show was not nearly as succesful ratings wise in Japan as it was over here and it had actually originally been cancelled for season 2 in its original run, but it was doing so well on Kids WB that 4kids literally paid the original studio to create a third season.

There was actually one piece of music in the dub of the first Pokemon movie that the original composer found so beautiful that he actually cried, so i'd say that's a pretty strong vote in favor of Pokemon not being nearly as bad as their dub of One Piece. There's a world of difference in quality as those were all dubs 4Kids actually wanted to make, whereas One Piece was something they were only contractually obligated to do.
One Piece was by far 4Kid's biggest and most infamous misstep, while their other dubs like the early seasons of Pokemon and Sonic X were actually really good and adapted fairly well (yes, i know there were lots of rewrites and cultural edits but that's another story) for the time. They were dealt a bad hand on OP for sure and their reputation as a dubbing company got tarnished majorly because of it, and it took FUNi snatching up the license for it to really get anywhere.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm

The thing is, we pretty much do though. There was no issue with Pioneer/Ocean’s faithful dubs of Z movie 1 and 2 airing on Toonami. Kai was a ratings hit, to the point Nicktoons grabbed some Z movies and GT to give their audiences more Dragon Ball content. Also consider there’s no reason a faithful dub could air in Mexico to tremendous success but somehow American audiences wouldn’t accept a faithful version.

It sure as hell was not the Faulconer music, or the amateur acting from the Texas cast, or cringe dialog like “That’s a whopper of a lizard” that made Z popular in the United States.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm
The thing is, we pretty much do though. There was no issue with Pioneer/Ocean’s faithful dubs of Z movie 1 and 2 airing on Toonami. Kai was a ratings hit, to the point Nicktoons grabbed some Z movies and GT to give their audiences more Dragon Ball content. Also consider there’s no reason a faithful dub could air in Mexico to tremendous success but somehow American audiences wouldn’t accept a faithful version.

It sure as hell was not the Faulconer music, or the amateur acting from the Texas cast, or cringe dialog like “That’s a whopper of a lizard” that made Z popular in the United States.
Well i'd argue Kai was a hit because DBZ was already well known in the states by then, but if Kai was the first thing DBZ related that anyone in the USA saw that might be a different story.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm
I wouldn't have minded a replacement score myself for the sake of consistency like the other poster said
Any claims for consistency goes right out the window when we consider Z’s dub had two entirely different composers and cast. Really all the more reason for Funimation to default to the Kikuchi music for Z as well.
sure the purist DBZ fans would've hated the replacement score but they were a tiny portion of the millions watching DBZ every week,
It’s less that a replacement score would have impacted Dragon Ball’s ratings (which was always going to be worse than Z for the mere fact of how Funimation and Toonami handled it) and more I wouldn’t trust Funimation to do a replacement score for the original Dragon Ball. Since the “comedy” music by Team Mike Smith and Friends was by far the worst most obnoxious aspect of DBZ’s replacement score and would have made up a significant amount of Dragon Ball’s music.

I don't feel quite as strongly about the DB dub keeping the original music, it's a weird choice for sure but i'm kind of indifferent to it.
Not really a weird choice by 2001 Dragon Ball Z was the only dubbed anime on Toonami that used replacement music. Funimation already proved they don’t care much for musical consistency and were going to treat Dragon Ball far removed from Z anyways. Excluding GT, not using unnecessary replacement music was ultimately the direction Funimation went with anyways. To that degree Dragon Ball fits much better in their portfolio than Z and GT did.
Would a replacement score have helped DB get better ratings on Toonami? Maybe maybe not, we'll never know for sure.
It wouldn’t because again the music was not a make it or break it thing. Dragon Ball Z proved itself to do well with 1. The Wasserman score 2. The Kikuchi score 3. The Mike Smith and Friends score 4. The Menza score 5. The Nathan Johnson score 6. The Yamamoto score 7. Badly placed Kikuchi music.

The original Dragon Ball was always doomed by Funimation airing most of Z first and non-stop electronic synth music wasn’t going to help it. That’s giving the Mike Smith and Friends score far too much credit.
Well i'd argue Kai was a hit because DBZ was already well known in the states by then, but if Kai was the first thing DBZ related that anyone in the USA saw that might be a different story.
Kai and Z had two different audiences. The target audience for Kai was in diapers when Z ended on Toonami. Sure a lot of Z fans watched Kai but the vast majority of audience, Kai was their entry point. The people going online to complain about blue Popo and no Faulconer music did not make up the bulk of Kai’s viewership. By your logic Funi Z was only a hit because of the ready made audience from fansubs of Japanese Z

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:18 pm

I imagine a lot of younger viewers watching Kai had already heard about DBZ through their parents or older relatives.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 pm

Sure as hell not to any significant degree. The target audience for Kai would have been roughly kids born between 1998-2004. Their parents would have been too old for Z and only a portion of them would have had siblings who grew up with Z on Toonami.

Not that they don’t exist but for a vast majority of them Kai was as new to them as Z was to kids in the late 90s and early 2000s who hadn’t heard about Dragon Ball Z through anime fansubs

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm I don't know if a more faithful dub of DBZ would've succeeded, possibly but we'll never know for sure.

That's a lot of anecdotes and conjecture, I don't think it really holds up. There's no difference from one 4kids dub to another so significant that you can really claim one dub had lots of effort and was good and another had no effort and was bad. I can guarantee you Sonic fans who knew about 4kids changes were as pissed at 4kids as One Piece fans were and Dragon Ball fans were at Funimation. Pokemon's changes have been a joke circulating the internet for decades at this point, and it's not because they were welcome and sensible. People generally defend most of this shit nowadays because of nostalgia, same as any other bad thing people like.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm I don't know if a more faithful dub of DBZ would've succeeded, possibly but we'll never know for sure.

That's a lot of anecdotes and conjecture, I don't think it really holds up. There's no difference from one 4kids dub to another so significant that you can really claim one dub had lots of effort and was good and another had no effort and was bad. I can guarantee you Sonic fans who knew about 4kids changes were as pissed at 4kids as One Piece fans were and Dragon Ball fans were at Funimation. Pokemon's changes have been a joke circulating the internet for decades at this point, and it's not because they were welcome and sensible. People generally defend most of this shit nowadays because of nostalgia, same as any other bad thing people like.
I disagree wholeheartedly, how many 4Kids dubs have you personally seen and how many episodes of them have you seen? I'd wager not very many if you truly believe there's no difference at all between them in terms of quality.

Pokemon's changes weren't really seen as a joke until well into the show's run. I don't think it's all nostalgia, I think some of it goes genuinely hold up.

You can't guarantee something you don't know for a fact.