Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm I don't know if a more faithful dub of DBZ would've succeeded, possibly but we'll never know for sure.

4Kids was IMO pretty good on those other shows, heck they are the only reason Sonic X even got a season 3 as the show was not nearly as succesful ratings wise in Japan as it was over here and it had actually originally been cancelled for season 2 in its original run, but it was doing so well on Kids WB that 4kids literally paid the original studio to create a third season.

There was actually one piece of music in the dub of the first Pokemon movie that the original composer found so beautiful that he actually cried, so i'd say that's a pretty strong vote in favor of Pokemon not being nearly as bad as their dub of One Piece. There's a world of difference in quality as those were all dubs 4Kids actually wanted to make, whereas One Piece was something they were only contractually obligated to do.
That's a lot of anecdotes and conjecture, I don't think it really holds up. There's no difference from one 4kids dub to another so significant that you can really claim one dub had lots of effort and was good and another had no effort and was bad. I can guarantee you Sonic fans who knew about 4kids changes were as pissed at 4kids as One Piece fans were and Dragon Ball fans were at Funimation. Pokemon's changes have been a joke circulating the internet for decades at this point, and it's not because they were welcome and sensible. People generally defend most of this shit nowadays because of nostalgia, same as any other bad thing people like.
4Kids' dub of Pokemon wasn't really that bad, and mind you the later Indigo League episodes were airing on KidsWB at the exact same time as DBZ Season 3. Now granted there are notorious things such as the painting out of Japanese text on signs and name changing (eventually digitally masking) staple Japanese food items but i really don't believe it was bastardized to anywhere near the level that DBZ was especially after the change over to in house.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm I don't know if a more faithful dub of DBZ would've succeeded, possibly but we'll never know for sure.

4Kids was IMO pretty good on those other shows, heck they are the only reason Sonic X even got a season 3 as the show was not nearly as succesful ratings wise in Japan as it was over here and it had actually originally been cancelled for season 2 in its original run, but it was doing so well on Kids WB that 4kids literally paid the original studio to create a third season.

There was actually one piece of music in the dub of the first Pokemon movie that the original composer found so beautiful that he actually cried, so i'd say that's a pretty strong vote in favor of Pokemon not being nearly as bad as their dub of One Piece. There's a world of difference in quality as those were all dubs 4Kids actually wanted to make, whereas One Piece was something they were only contractually obligated to do.
That's a lot of anecdotes and conjecture, I don't think it really holds up. There's no difference from one 4kids dub to another so significant that you can really claim one dub had lots of effort and was good and another had no effort and was bad. I can guarantee you Sonic fans who knew about 4kids changes were as pissed at 4kids as One Piece fans were and Dragon Ball fans were at Funimation. Pokemon's changes have been a joke circulating the internet for decades at this point, and it's not because they were welcome and sensible. People generally defend most of this shit nowadays because of nostalgia, same as any other bad thing people like.

I think the only reason 4Kids One Piece dub is so maligned by the same people who praise their dub of Yu-gi-oh (which again I know for a fact from my own fanboys days 4Kids Yu-gi-oh dub was not well liked it’s only recent years that all these defenders have popped up) is because it didn’t last long enough to make an impact and Funimation’s dub quickly came in.

In some alternate universe where Funimation lost the license to Dragon Ball after season 3 of Z and Viz or Pioneer took over and then redubbed their work the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z would be a laughing stock/punching bag to the same degree as 4Kids One Piece

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 pm

I think the only reason 4Kids One Piece dub is so maligned by the same people who praise their dub of Yu-gi-oh (which again I know for a fact from my own fanboys days 4Kids Yu-gi-oh dub was not well liked it’s only recent years that all these defenders have popped up) is because it didn’t last long enough to make an impact and Funimation’s dub quickly came in.

In some alternate universe where Funimation lost the license to Dragon Ball after season 3 of Z and Viz or Pioneer took over and then redubbed their work the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z would be a laughing stock/punching bag to the same degree as 4Kids One Piece
True, their version came and then went just about two years after so it didn't really make much of an impact and FUNi's dub basically rendered it obsolete almost immediately.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:40 pm

That was by design, as mentioned before 4Kids never wanted One Piece and Toei forced it upon them, so 4Kids only aired the dub for as long as they were contractually obligated to do so, and the moment they'd fulfilled their obligation they dropped the dub like a live grenade. The ratings were poor anyways so it wasn't like Toei could argue with them over it(as 4Kids were competing against themselves at the time as they had shows on the Fox Box as well as Kids WB, I think Yugioh or Pokemon aired at the same time as One Piece, so it was no brainer which show to choose)
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:05 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:27 pm I disagree wholeheartedly, how many 4Kids dubs have you personally seen and how many episodes of them have you seen? I'd wager not very many if you truly believe there's no difference at all between them in terms of quality.

Pokemon's changes weren't really seen as a joke until well into the show's run. I don't think it's all nostalgia, I think some of it goes genuinely hold up.

You can't guarantee something you don't know for a fact.
I've seen enough. There is not a significant difference in quality. I'd advise against insinuating that people who disagree with you simply haven't watched the thing you're talking about.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:28 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:05 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:27 pm I disagree wholeheartedly, how many 4Kids dubs have you personally seen and how many episodes of them have you seen? I'd wager not very many if you truly believe there's no difference at all between them in terms of quality.

Pokemon's changes weren't really seen as a joke until well into the show's run. I don't think it's all nostalgia, I think some of it goes genuinely hold up.

You can't guarantee something you don't know for a fact.
I've seen enough. There is not a significant difference in quality. I'd advise against insinuating that people who disagree with you simply haven't watched the thing you're talking about.
Well that's like your opinion, not a stone cold fact like you believe it is, and in my opinion and many others you are flat out incorrect. I'd advise against treating your opinions as facts.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 pm

Oh, apologies your majesty, I'm sorry I don't type the honorary "IMHO" before every single post I ever make because I assume I am not dealing with children.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 pm Oh, apologies your majesty, I'm sorry I don't type the honorary "IMHO" before every single post I ever make because I assume I am not dealing with children.
Well that post certainly makes you sound extremely childish and immature and you certainly seem to be treating your opinion as fact, so forgive me master for not properly interpreting your frankly very poorly worded post. I assumed I wasn't dealing with a troll, my mistake.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 pm Well that post certainly makes you sound extremely childish and immature and you certainly seem to be treating your opinion as fact, so forgive me master for not properly interpreting your frankly very poorly worded post. I assumed I wasn't dealing with a troll, my mistake.
So not only am I still "stating opinion as fact", I'm also now guilty of "trolling" just because I didn't react well to your accusation, which as best I can tell, is motivated by nothing other than your own subjective feelings?

Look through this entire thread and ask yourself why nobody is crying that there's no arbitrary declaration of subjectivity before each of their posts. Everyone knows what's going on here, you're upset because I dared to disagree with your own subjective opinion. I can't see any other mindset that could motivate you to accuse me of not having watched the things I was talking about.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 pm Well that post certainly makes you sound extremely childish and immature and you certainly seem to be treating your opinion as fact, so forgive me master for not properly interpreting your frankly very poorly worded post. I assumed I wasn't dealing with a troll, my mistake.
So not only am I still "stating opinion as fact", I'm also now guilty of "trolling" just because I didn't react well to your accusation, which as best I can tell, is motivated by nothing other than your own subjective feelings?

Look through this entire thread and ask yourself why nobody is crying that there's no arbitrary declaration of subjectivity before each of their posts. Everyone knows what's going on here, you're upset because I dared to disagree with your own subjective opinion. I can't see any other mindset that could motivate you to accuse me of not having watched the things I was talking about.
You need to look through this thread and ask yourself why nobody else is backing up your frankly incorrect assertions. No what's really going on here is you don't want to admit you're wrong about me, everyone can see that's the real truth here. I don't care if you disagree with me or not, but you were trying to present your opinions as facts no matter how much you want to try and backtrack and claim you weren't.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:21 am

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am You need to look through this thread and ask yourself why nobody else is backing up your frankly incorrect assertions.
Why would anyone else give a shit? Why would someone say "attention: this is clearly this man's opinion and not an objective statement of fact" when the only one who can't tell the difference between them is you?

If you want to claim that rigorous definition of every single post as opinionated and not factual is the norm (rather than just assuming subjectivity is implied because that's what adults do), you need people to actually define what the norm is. You need people to back up your accusations, the only thing I need to back up what I'm saying is me.

And I'm sure you'd never just accuse me of lying about my own opini-
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am No what's really going on here is you don't want to admit you're wrong about me, everyone can see that's the real truth here. I don't care if you disagree with me or not, but you were trying to present your opinions as facts no matter how much you want to try and backtrack and claim you weren't.
Good fucking god.

I dunno man, it sure sounds like you're trying to project a lot of your own opinions as facts by casting me as this villain in your righteous quest of demanding other people to cater to your delicate sensibilities. But I guess you randomly attacking my character is much less of a problem than me saying a TV show you liked wasn't good.

Jesus fucking Christ this is stupid. I'm scared for what you'd do in a conversation about something that actually matters if you start shit over something this trivial.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am

Shaddy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:21 am
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am You need to look through this thread and ask yourself why nobody else is backing up your frankly incorrect assertions.
Why would anyone else give a shit? Why would someone say "attention: this is clearly this man's opinion and not an objective statement of fact" when the only one who can't tell the difference between them is you?

If you want to claim that rigorous definition of every single post as opinionated and not factual is the norm (rather than just assuming subjectivity is implied because that's what adults do), you need people to actually define what the norm is. You need people to back up your accusations, the only thing I need to back up what I'm saying is me.

And I'm sure you'd never just accuse me of lying about my own opini-
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am No what's really going on here is you don't want to admit you're wrong about me, everyone can see that's the real truth here. I don't care if you disagree with me or not, but you were trying to present your opinions as facts no matter how much you want to try and backtrack and claim you weren't.
Good fucking god.

I dunno man, it sure sounds like you're trying to project a lot of your own opinions as facts by casting me as this villain in your righteous quest of demanding other people to cater to your delicate sensibilities. But I guess you randomly attacking my character is much less of a problem than me saying a TV show you liked wasn't good.

Jesus fucking Christ this is stupid. I'm scared for what you'd do in a conversation about something that actually matters if you start shit over something this trivial.
Yes good fucking god it is stupid that you are obsessing this much over me pointing out your posts are badly worded(which they are), i'd hate to think of how you function in the real world if you blow a gasket over something as trivial as this.

Seems like you're the one doing the projecting here. Like I said I don't really care if you disagree with me or not, but trying to present your opinions as facts is not on.

Never accused you of lying about your own opinion, just said you were wrong about me(and you are).

Seems like the only one with delicate sensibilities is you dear boy because i'm not mindlessly agreeing with everything you say, well that's life so deal with it.

Something tells me i'm much better at actual conversations then you are.

I haven't seen you back up anything.

I'm not the only one for sure.

You're not sounding like much of an adult, so you could've fooled me.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:05 am

There's also the fact Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't as popular as One Piece so not as many people know or care about the changes 4kids made (even though it was actually more heavily edited). Not to mention Yu-Gi-Oh! wasn't forced upon them as part of a package deal.

A dub by Viz or Pioneer would definitely be an improvement over the season 3 FUNi Z Dub but I imagine some major liberties would still be taken.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 am

Oh it's not just recent years, I saw a decent amount of praise for it back when it was originally airing and the appreciation only increased once YGOTAS came out.

I can see a Viz dub being much like their dub of Sailor Moon-more faithful to the source material, but with more monotone acting.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:04 am

Attention: Shaddy's posts are clearly his opinion and not an objective statement of fact.

Happy?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:42 am

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am Yes good fucking god it is stupid that you are obsessing this much over me pointing out your posts are badly worded(which they are), i'd hate to think of how you function in the real world if you blow a gasket over something as trivial as this.
Ooh, now who's moving goalposts? I thought you were supposed to be accusing me of stating my opinions as fact, but now you've retreated back to "badly worded", a thing that only you personally have to corroborate. How convenient.

You do not have a moral high ground here, dude. You started this conversation by accusing me of not watching the things I watched because my opinion was different from yours, and fell back on "stating opinions as fact", a thing that, guess what, you have done constantly throughout this very stupid exchange, and are now flip-flopping between whatever positions or insults you can to make me go away.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am Seems like you're the one doing the projecting here. Like I said I don't really care if you disagree with me or not, but trying to present your opinions as facts is not on.
So to be clear, if I had agreed with you you would still have had just as big a shitfit? That doesn't sound believable to me.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am Never accused you of lying about your own opinion
Well, sure you did. You accused me (and still are) of thinking my opinion is fact, and that would mean I'm lying when I say it's my opinion.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am Seems like the only one with delicate sensibilities is you dear boy because i'm not mindlessly agreeing with everything you say, well that's life so deal with it.
Dude, you're the one who got on me for saying a dub was bad. I literally do not care which thing you think is good or bad. The only thing you're against right now is the notion that getting upset for that is stupid, and I gotta say, that's not a battle you're gonna win.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am Something tells me i'm much better at actual conversations then you are.

Hopefully better than you are at sounding humble.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am I haven't seen you back up anything.
Look harder then. I said "thing bad", you said "you stated your opinion as fact", I responded "everyone knows it's an opinion", and you have not presented a meaningful rebuttal to that.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am I'm not the only one for sure.
Okay, so who else could not distinguish between me stating my opinion and me stating an objective fact? Rest of the thread, your comments are welcome.

Anyone? I'm accepting all callers here.
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am You're not sounding like much of an adult, so you could've fooled me.
So just to be clear here: You are saying a child could fool you?

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 am

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 am I can see a Viz dub being much like their dub of Sailor Moon-more faithful to the source material, but with more monotone acting.
There's a difference between restrained acting and monotone acting. As you yourself have said many times you're a big fan of the Funi dub (and not because it's good, in your own words, it's what you grew up with). You're confusing being over the top and loud with acting because that's what you expect.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:13 am

Brodes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 am
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 am I can see a Viz dub being much like their dub of Sailor Moon-more faithful to the source material, but with more monotone acting.
There's a difference between restrained acting and monotone acting. As you yourself have said many times you're a big fan of the Funi dub (and not because it's good, in your own words, it's what you grew up with). You're confusing being over the top and loud with acting because that's what you expect.
To be fair, the Viz dub of Sailor Moon does have lackluster acting. However, this isn’t true across the board for Viz products. Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, and Naruto (another Studiopolis dub of theirs) all sound fine. So I don’t see how one can just assume a Viz dub of Dragon Ball (that would have likely also used Ocean Group in this hypothetical situation of taking over from Funimation in the early 2000s) would be closer to their dub of Sailor Moon. Which again, is an outlier.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:13 am
To be fair, the Viz dub of Sailor Moon does have lackluster acting. However, this isn’t true across the board for Viz products. Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, and Naruto (another Studiopolis dub of theirs) all sound fine. So I don’t see how one can just assume a Viz dub of Dragon Ball (that would have likely also used Ocean Group in this hypothetical situation of taking over from Funimation in the early 2000s) would be closer to their dub of Sailor Moon. Which again, is an outlier.
Did it improve for Sailor Moon Eternal, then? I watched the first part of that dubbed recently, and didn't find it particularly monotone or anything. So I may be going by skewed information, here.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:45 am

Brodes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:13 am

Did it improve for Sailor Moon Eternal, then? I watched the first part of that dubbed recently, and didn't find it particularly monotone or anything. So I may be going by skewed information, here.
Yeah Eternal was decent and an improvement overall (acting wise the bizarre let’s use Japanese honorifics in English was weird)In general the Crystal dub fared better than their dub of the 90s anime.