Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:05 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:59 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:49 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm

How is this debatable exactly? It wasn't a remotely good dub by any means acting or script wise especially in Season 3, now by the Buu arc it got to a barely passable ok-ish level but early on...yeah not so much.
Because this is a thread about opinions and people are stating their views on this. And I know for a fact that there are those that like DBZ. I personally agree that prior to the Buu arc the original was not good. However other people may like it. I personally like the Z Buu arc better than Kai Buu arc.
I mean that is true, the Buu arc is a step up from Freeza and Cell as far as the DBZ dub goes even if not necessarily a huge one.
Indeed. Glad we can agree that Z Buu arc wasn't bad.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:05 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Because this is a thread about opinions and people are stating their views on this. And I know for a fact that there are those that like DBZ. I personally agree that prior to the Buu arc the original was not good. However other people may like it. I personally like the Z Buu arc better than Kai Buu arc.
I mean that is true, the Buu arc is a step up from Freeza and Cell as far as the DBZ dub goes even if not necessarily a huge one.
I can actually bring myself to watch it, and in terms of the Z dub as a whole it's definitely better than Seasons 3 and 4 (note that i'm talking about the broadcast seasons as aired, not the home releases' numbering) and like the OG DB dub it's decent enough and watchable for what it is.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm

I can actually bring myself to watch it, and in terms of the Z dub as a whole it's definitely better than Seasons 3 and 4 (note that i'm talking about the broadcast seasons as aired, not the home releases numbering) and like the OG DB dub it's decent enough and watchable for what it is.
I has its flaws but its better than some shows.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 pm

I can actually bring myself to watch it, and in terms of the Z dub as a whole it's definitely better than Seasons 3 and 4 (note that i'm talking about the broadcast seasons as aired, not the home releases numbering) and like the OG DB dub it's decent enough and watchable for what it is.
I mean, i've seen worse dubs than that like 4Kids One Piece. Now that was an absolute travesty and by far the worst dub they did though most of their others like the earlier seasons of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were actually decent for the most part, sure they had their infamous paint edits and such but on the whole not bad but One Piece was definitely their biggest mistake though it's not all on them.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:59 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I mean, i've seen worse dubs than that like 4Kids One Piece. Now that was an absolute travesty and by far the worst dub they did though most of their others like the earlier seasons of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were actually decent for the most part, sure they had their infamous paint edits and such but on the whole not bad but One Piece was definitely their biggest mistake though it's not all on them.
I see.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:14 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:59 pm

I see.
Yes, and oh boy it was bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI&t=6s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDBrar7AdA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=we-cFr-I_F8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKibWs6-wsU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT83Gsy59mk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWkBLhXOF4
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 pm

Yeeeea. Sadly the 4kids OP dub was so bad that it turned a good portion of anime fans off in the west from giving One Piece a chance.
Maron is stacked!!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:21 pm

Android 50 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 pm

Yeeeea. Sadly the 4kids OP dub was so bad that it turned a good portion of anime fans off in the west from giving One Piece a chance.
That's the rather unfortunate thing about the fiasco then, and it makes me wonder if FUNi had gotten the license first at the time or even someone else like Viz (I believe Ocean and Blue Water even made their own test dubs at some point) then it would have a better following. Not to say it hasn't gotten a decent following over time since FUNi snatched up the show back in 2007/2008 but the huge debacle with Toei's licensing the series to 4Kids and everything else tied into that kept it from reaching Dragon Ball level hugeness.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:14 pm

I see.

Methinks I'll spare myself the pain.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:28 pm

I know right, i've watched some awful dubs before but this was by far one of if not the worst ones of all. The voices are so bad that it makes me want to gouge my ears repeatedly. :lol:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:28 pm
I know right, i've watched some awful dubs before but this was by far one of if not the worst ones of all. The voices are so bad that it makes me want to gouge my ears repeatedly. :lol:
Mmm yes.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:13 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:28 pm I know right, i've watched some awful dubs before but this was by far one of if not the worst ones of all. The voices are so bad that it makes me want to gouge my ears repeatedly. :lol:
Its sad because besides in my opinion 4kids always had great voice work in Pokemon. and say what you want about the Yugioh dub, Dan Green and Eric Stuart kill it in their roles.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:13 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:28 pm I know right, i've watched some awful dubs before but this was by far one of if not the worst ones of all. The voices are so bad that it makes me want to gouge my ears repeatedly. :lol:
Its sad because besides in my opinion 4kids always had great voice work in Pokemon. and say what you want about the Yugioh dub, Dan Green and Eric Stuart kill it in their roles.
Yes, most of their earlier dubs including the first three or so seasons of Pokemon which were and are my favorites were really good. One Piece was the one they really got a bad hand dealt on because they didn't actually want to dub it in the first place but were basically forced to by Toei as it was a package deal with Ultimate Muscle and Magical DoReMi. The thing which really brought down that dub majorly was the voice direction, and the questionable decision to give a good chunk of the characters unfitting over the top accents which sounded mostly awful.

You know what the real kicker was about all of this? 4Kids actually wanted to make a more faithful dub but Toei apparently pushed them to butcher it to oblivion in order to get the series onto network TV. That's right, they were so desperate for the series to be a success over here that they shot theselves in the foot by mandating all these things and it was a giant mess which really shouldn't have happened.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Android 50 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 pm Yeeeea. Sadly the 4kids OP dub was so bad that it turned a good portion of anime fans off in the west from giving One Piece a chance.
And the Funi Deebeezee dub was so bad it turned a good portion of anime fans off in the west from giving Dragonball a chance. The difference is that all the 8 year olds that thought Funiball was even remotely watchable grew into... well, you, while the 4Kids One Piece dub got canceled before the 8 year olds that enjoyed it grew much older than 8.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:59 pm

Adamant wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 pm
Android 50 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 pm Yeeeea. Sadly the 4kids OP dub was so bad that it turned a good portion of anime fans off in the west from giving One Piece a chance.
And the Funi Deebeezee dub was so bad it turned a good portion of anime fans off in the west from giving Dragonball a chance. The difference is that all the 8 year olds that thought Funiball was even remotely watchable grew into... well, you, while the 4Kids One Piece dub got canceled before the 8 year olds that enjoyed it grew much older than 8.
4Kids One Piece was never even close to Dragon Ball's peak popularity in the West at any point, though, so I'm not really sure where you're going with this. At one point DB was the most watched cartoon on all of cable, period. Dragon Ball reached a huge level of popularity in spite of its dub.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:14 pm

I see.

I’d be so angry if I was the One Piece creator or Toei if this is what I saw a foreigner do to my creation.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:19 pm

Aim wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 pm
I’d be so angry if I was the One Piece creator or Toei if this is what I saw a foreigner do to my creation.
Yeah, it really makes me wonder if Oda saw any of the 4Kids dub back in the day because i'll bet if so he was probably quite mortified by how awful it was and how much the show had been bastardized due to all the rewrites and editing. Thank god FUNi picked it up a few years later because they made an actual good dub which is a world of difference in every respect.

The 4Kids dub was really an unfortunate tragedy, it could've been good but the direction and awful mandated censorship among other things killed it.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 pm
Nah the funi deebeezee dub was pretty much a huge success here. This is just revisionist history from someone that's butthurt the old funi dub made the series a hit here in the US regardless of what the more hardcore fans think.

Regardless of its quality it managed to click with the american kids at the time unlike 4kids attempt with One Piece which would come out years later.
Maron is stacked!!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:13 am

Android 50 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 am Nah the funi deebeezee dub was pretty much a huge success here. This is just revisionist history from someone that's butthurt the old funi dub made the series a hit here in the US regardless of what the more hardcore fans think.

Regardless of its quality it managed to click with the american kids at the time unlike 4kids attempt with One Piece which would come out years later.
This 100%. Funi Z was and still remains incredibly popular with the vast majority of the English speaking fandom. 4kids One Piece couldn't even remotely compare to it even when it was on the air. To this day fans still watch the former. Meanwhile you'd be hardpressed to find anyone still watching the latter.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 am

DBZ clicked. It wasn't the dub that clicked.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.