Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Opinions on the original Funi Dragon Ball dub

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:51 pm I love how English centric Witty Username's worldview is. It wasnt dubbed in English so its not needed. I loved that man from Australia did that for his sister. He at least has a heart unlike Witty Username.
Absolutely none of this was necessary.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:23 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:08 pm YES.

There are people who love dubs and its selfish to say they shouldnt exist because you dont find any need for them.
He doesn’t say they shouldn’t exist, he said he doesn’t think they’re necessary.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:27 pm

I’m not even someone who hates dubs. I’m just not sure if they’re worth the trouble at this point.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:28 am

They are. I am extremely sorry I blew up at you and others, but dubs are important and needed.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:46 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:28 am dubs are important and needed.
I agree. They're very important, particularly for kids who can't be bothered to read subs, or aren't able to because of learning conditions. Kids are what ultimately allow these franchises to thrive, so they should be made as accessible as possible.

Beyond that it's just nice to hear different takes on a character. The original is always going to be there for the purists.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:40 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:46 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:28 am dubs are important and needed.
I agree. They're very important, particularly for kids who can't be bothered to read subs, or aren't able to because of learning conditions. Kids are what ultimately allow these franchises to thrive, so they should be made as accessible as possible.

Beyond that it's just nice to hear different takes on a character. The original is always going to be there for the purists.
I'm also in the same boat. I can understand dubs not being to someone's liking, but I don't see why anyone would want another fan of this franchise or any other to be denied the option of a dub. It never hurts for one to be available, and in general does more good than bad.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:27 pm I’m not even someone who hates dubs. I’m just not sure if they’re worth the trouble at this point.
Stuffed skewed towards kids yes.

Dragon Ball is at the end of the day a commercial product meant to sell toys and knick knacks to young boys and adult size t-shirts and shoes to its aging nostalgic audience. It wants to be as accessible as possible.

Something like Parasite really doesn’t need to compromise any artistic integrity because it isn’t merchandise driven.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:29 pm

This isn't about artistic integrity. Parasite is live action. None of the actors are performing solely with their voice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:51 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:29 pm This isn't about artistic integrity. Parasite is live action. None of the actors are performing solely with their voice.
It’s not unheard for live action shows and movies to get dubbed when crossing over international markets

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:54 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:29 pm This isn't about artistic integrity. Parasite is live action. None of the actors are performing solely with their voice.
English speaking live action movies get dubbed in foreign countries all the time, so there’s that. I believe I read somewhere that Bong Joon Ho didn’t want the movie to be dubbed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 pm

Maybe this wasn't clear, I know live action actors get dubbed over. I'm saying that it's not the same thing as a performance in an anime. When Nozawa and Schemmel give performances as Goku, they are giving a full performance. If a live action actor is dubbed over, the audience is only getting half the actor's performance.

I'm not sure how you read my original comment. Like, duh, actors get dubbed over all the time when live action films are distributed internationally.
Last edited by ABED on Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:54 pm
English speaking live action movies get dubbed in foreign countries all the time, so there’s that. I believe I read somewhere that Bong Joon Ho didn’t want the movie to be dubbed.
And Netflix dubs a lot of their non-English shows into English but yes I think the practice is more common in non-English speaking countries

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:13 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 pm Maybe this wasn't clear, I know live action actors get dubbed over. I'm saying that it's not the same thing as a performance in an anime. When Nozawa and Schemmel give performances as Goku, they are giving a full performance. If a live action actor is dubbed over, the audience is only getting half the actor's performance.

I'm not sure how you read my original comment. Like, duh, actors get dubbed over all the time when live action films are distributed internationally.

The conversation started over whether dubbing in general is even necessary. Parasite was just cited as an example of a movie that wasn’t dubbed into English and still got attention. My argument that something that is meant to appeal to the widest possible audience would fare better with a dub including some kitschy live action Netflix drama series.

If you want to keep it as anime vs anime I don’t think something like Perfect Blue or Akira would need English dubs now like they did in the 90s.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:18 pm

I get that, but live action is different from animation. It's changing those performances. You are almost getting half a movie. That is true regardless of how good the movie is which is ultimately irrelevant. DB could be the most well written story with deeply resonant themes and dubbing would still be valid.

Akira is overrated and quite frankly awful. It's well regarded because of it's animation, not it's insipid story that is clearly adapting WAY too much considering its runtime. I do think even a great anime should be dubbed. Technology has made it easy to switch back and forth if you want to watch the original.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:51 pm

i don't even think masenkoha was making a statement on akira's quality, just that it's a adaption of a seinen manga lmao. ignoring the fact that saying something is Only Liked for one thing is stupid, not really a statement on anything or allow for any discussion lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:25 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:51 pm i don't even think masenkoha was making a statement on akira's quality, just that it's a adaption of a seinen manga lmao. ignoring the fact that saying something is Only Liked for one thing is stupid, not really a statement on anything or allow for any discussion lol.
I don't see how from context how this wasn't a statement of its perceived quality. And I didn't say it was ONLY liked for one thing. So keep laughing at things that weren't said.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:25 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:25 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:51 pm i don't even think masenkoha was making a statement on akira's quality, just that it's a adaption of a seinen manga lmao. ignoring the fact that saying something is Only Liked for one thing is stupid, not really a statement on anything or allow for any discussion lol.
I don't see how from context how this wasn't a statement of its perceived quality. And I didn't say it was ONLY liked for one thing. So keep laughing at things that weren't said.
How could you have possibly inferred he was speaking about the quality from this:
If you want to keep it as anime vs anime I don’t think something like Perfect Blue or Akira would need English dubs now like they did in the 90s.
He's clearly just talking about popular anime.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to infer what Soopa inferred from your post when you say it sucked, the story sucked, and it's well regarded for its animation. Essentially dismissing it's merits and the reception beyond animation quality.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:25 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:25 pm
How could you have possibly inferred he was speaking about the quality from this:
He's clearly just talking about popular anime.

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to infer what Soopa inferred from your post when you say it sucked, the story sucked, and it's well regarded for its animation. Essentially dismissing it's merits and the reception beyond animation quality.
You took that single sentence out of context

I said Akira is well regarded for its animation, and it's true. That's a statement of fact. I didn't say it was only thing.
Dragon Ball is at the end of the day a commercial product meant to sell toys and knick knacks to young boys and adult size t-shirts and shoes to its aging nostalgic audience. It wants to be as accessible as possible.

Something like Parasite really doesn’t need to compromise any artistic integrity because it isn’t merchandise driven.
How the hell do you not get that this is a discussion about quality?

Hell even within the same post you quoted, MasenkoHa wrote:
My argument that something that is meant to appeal to the widest possible audience would fare better with a dub including some kitschy live action Netflix drama series.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:12 pm

To clarify I meant to use Akira as an example of something that isn’t intended to be marketed to the lowest common denominator. It should go without saying something intended to be “art” or “high brow”
can be crap. And something meant to be commercial or popcorn flicks can be good and have artistic merit.

It doesn’t really matter if Akira is good or not. Which is obviously subjective.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:17 pm

I know I have been quite militant in this thread and I am sorry about that but ABED, if you think dubbing a live action movie "Gets you only half a movie" imagine being blind and not being able to watch it. AT ALL. I am sorry for being rude but this is a very important issue to me. I have a blind friend and he enjoys dubs a lot.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: