Dragonball Z live action movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball Z live action movie

Post by landoku » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:42 pm

So what do you think? Yay or Nay? Should Fox create a DBZ movie? Facts, Rumors, Thoughts, Etc.

Heres the FACTS!•In 2002 Twentieth Century Fox aquired the rights from Shueisha to create a live action feature film version of Dragonball. (adapted from the manga)

•The live action Dragonball film will be overseen by Elizabeth Gabler and Jack Leslie is the director of production. Fox has not yet made public the director.

• Twentieth Century Fox bought the domain dragonballz-movie.com. Recently, at the end of March 2006, the domain expired and Fox did in fact renew it. To view the stats you can go to www.whois.net

• Variety reports, In 2004 Twentieth Century Fox hired Ben Ramsey (The Big Hit) to ink the screenplay. The trade tips that he was paid $500,000 for the gig.

• Wizard Magazine reported that Fox approached Director Alejandro Amenabar (The Sea Inside) to direct the film. He turned down the offer.

• IGN reported the following in their mailbag:
Question: I heard that the DBZ movie was no longer in production, is that true? Did they stop making the movie?
--Kyle

IGN: Kyle, our contact at 20th Century Fox assures us that the live-action Dragonball Z movie is still in development. However, they had no other updates on the status of the project. Last we heard, the studio had hired a screenwriter to pen a new draft of the script.. that was back in June 2004. Stay tuned.

• On September 24, adult film star Asia Carrera stated in the news bulletin section of her personal web site that she had been offered a part in the upcoming Dragonball Z live action movie. The producers had contacted her about a part in the movie(possibly Chi-chi), but she had to turn them down because she and her husband were 4 months pregnant. "I hate having to turn down cool mainstream work offers because I'm too fat to go out and play!!" she said. She plans to name her daughter Catalina.

•Per Anime Insider, "Fox secured the rights in 2002 to make a live action movie. With a finished product in 2006. Fox is still promoting script, having placed ads in Hollywood industry trade magazines seeking a director and decribing film as follows: "When a platoon of warriors seek the 7 Dragonballs to call a beast to destroy Earth, a teenage underdog must rise to the occasion to defend his world while coming to grips w/ the fact that a mythical evil resides in him." There is no offical announcements

I say YESSSSSS!!! Make it!
Last edited by landoku on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:47 pm

There's one other fact out there that I know of from like two years ago.

- Tom Welling (Smallville) stated at the Teen Choice Awards, that he had signed onto the movie, but hadn't been cast as a specific character. When asked who he wanted to play he said Goku.
==============================================
==============================================

As far as a (new) theatrical movie goes I say just do an animated one that retells the Saiyan Saga (then eventually sequels that do the same with the Freeza Saga, Andriod Saga, and Buu Saga) I mean if they're going to do a theatrical live action DBZ movie then they might as well have made the South Park and Simpsons movies live action.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:32 pm

Are you sure that's not just a rumor?

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Completely false, fabricated, unsubstantiated rumors. Nothing more.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:40 pm

Well the Tom Welling thing was caught on film on the red carpet interviews.
Completely false, fabricated, unsubstantiated rumors. Nothing more.
Actually IIRC the Ben Ramsey factoid is true, not sure about the others.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:59 pm

TAS wrote:
Excuse me while I pass out for the next...*passes out* :shock:

If that's true...oh dear... :D
14 years later

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by landoku » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:02 pm

tarsonis wrote:Completely false, fabricated, unsubstantiated rumors. Nothing more.
How about...No. THESE ARE THE FACTS!
Do you have the video?
Last edited by landoku on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:05 pm

landoku wrote:
tarsonis wrote:Completely false, fabricated, unsubstantiated rumors. Nothing more.
Source?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm

Some of this is true; it did look like Fox was looking into a Dragonball movie back in 2002, but that was a long time ago and there hasn't been a peep about it since. We're almost in 2007 now, and if Fox was still planning to go through with it we would've heard something by now. Just face it, the movie is dead.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm

Excuse me while I pass out for the next...*passes out*
Just note they'd probaly cast him as Trunks though, and not Goku.
Do you have the video?
No, I just remember seeing/hearing it briefly, and then seeing people talk about it on forums soon after.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 pm

I hope it never happens to be honest. Why? I used to be a Hulk fan..damn it all...
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:10 pm

I hope it never happens to be honest. Why? I used to be a Hulk fan..damn it all...
-Rick
Cure = Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.
Last edited by TAS on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by landoku » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:11 pm

tarsonis wrote:
landoku wrote:
Source?

Okay..... If you look here you see it is owned by Fox INC. Creation Date: 25-Mar-2002 and it was updated 06-Nov-2006. So that shows that FOX is still working on it. http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=dr ... om&tld=com

http://movies.ign.com/mail/2005-11-16.html

And you can go on Asia Carrera web site and look for that bulletin, I did see it once but it was a while ago.
Last edited by landoku on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:32 pm

I'd rather they not. Either it will turn out to be crap, and/or there will be an influx of new and stupid fanboys debating on whether Goku is the strongest in the world or not.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Ah, it's been way too long since one of these threads has existed.

I say, yes. It should happen. It's going to have to, eventually, right?

As seen in Conan's clip, today's technology certainly can handle DbZ-level special effects if they can do that for a weekly TV show, and that was the only real barrier. Also, you've gotta realize that: If they can do it, they eventually will do it. DragonBall (Z) is too big and well-known a series to not get an eventual live-action movie.

You say it would be corny? Wouldn't capture the spirit of the original well enough? I'll bet that people said the same thing about Spider-Man, 20 years ago. Though a DragonBall Z movie would have to be more of a "sci-fi / martial arts" than the "fantasy / martial arts" that the show is if it's to be taken seriously or be any good.

The only concern I realy have for a live-action movie would be the quality of the writing. If they're going to parallel the series, they'd have to break it down and do some really good writing to make it good. Here's my old idea of how the trilogy should be.

• 1) DragonBall: Goku's origins, life on Earth, and the legend of the DragonBalls, with Piccolo Daimou as the villian.

2) DragonBall: Inheritance / Legacy: Saiyan invasion of Earth.

3) DragonBall Z: Some sort of interplanetary war with Freeza, with Goku ending up victorious as the legendary Super Saiyan, and dissapearing at the end after saving the entire galaxy.

Hmm.. I'm getting ideas. I should start writing this up in detail...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by landoku » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:58 pm

If their making a transformers movie. *Which they are* Then DBZ has to next in line. Well 10 years ago no one would have thought there could have been Lord of the Rings movie because it wasnt at its "peak" anymore. The characters would be to hard to make etc.....so I dont think thats anything to worry about. Why would you worry about character looks, They make a lot of changes to make it more...Realistic like...like take out Choatzu and Puar, Oolong stupid crap like that. There hair chould be normal just with a bounce, And like super saiyan would look the same...stuff like that. Regaurdless, I would be willing to bet money that one day...could be 2007 or 2008...could be 2017! I dont know but one day a Dragonball Z movie *most likely by FOX* will be made.
Hopefully *for me* SOON...
Oh yea Id much rather have American actors too.

This is just for fun heres a very good concept FAKE Trailer. Watch It, Its good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OsBk58HsOo

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:16 pm

^Given that it's taken this long at this point it's probaly safe to say it won't happen.

Also note at one time there was going to be live action versions of AKIRA, Ghost In The Shell, Ninja Scroll, Evangelion, and I forget what else, but do you see any of them around?

This movie (and the others I mentioned) was first brought up how long ago? Like 2000 when anime was really peaking, but it just seems like one of those projects that will never get off the ground.
It's going to have to, eventually, right?

Also, you've gotta realize that: If they can do it, they eventually will do it. DragonBall (Z) is too big and well-known a series to not get an eventual live-action movie.
No because if an all new animated retelling makes it to the theaters first you can kiss the chance of a live action movie goodbye, because if that happend what would then be the point of doing a live action one?

Also note that FUNimation really stands to gain nothing with a live action movie, where as they could rake in a lot with an animated one, so I'd imagine they most likely don't want to see a live action movie either as Fox would make all the money from it.
1) DragonBall: Goku's origins, life on Earth, and the legend of the DragonBalls, with Piccolo Daimou as the villian.

2) DragonBall: Inheritance / Legacy: Saiyan invasion of Earth.

3) DragonBall Z: Some sort of interplanetary war with Freeza, with Goku ending up victorious as the legendary Super Saiyan, and dissapearing at the end after saving the entire galaxy.
It doesn't have to be a trilogy. The Harry Potter movies show how well a multi series works, not to mention the Spidey movies will also be continuing after #3. Plus I think the trilogy thing is really cliche now days what with Star Wars, Matrix, LOTR, etc, etc.

And given that Dragon Ball had very little success here they probaly won't make any movie around it. I mean most US fans jump onboard with Z, and did fine with it all, probaly because you really didn't need to know any of the backstory of DB the way it was told in the series, as they explain a lot just in the first episode of Z (the tail, saiyans, etc)

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 pm

Magica wrote:I'd rather they not. Either it will turn out to be crap, and/or there will be an influx of new and stupid fanboys debating on whether Goku is the strongest in the world or not.
I just felt that this had to be posted again. Also, as a fan, I would be forced to watch it AND defend/ correct the series. Like when Spiderman came out and people took crammed movie scenes as "fact" for the sake of acting like they know what they are talking about.. :x Same thing when DragonBall was in its "prime" around here and someone tried to convince me there was no Mr.Satan at the Cell Games.. :evil:

The only form of this I would like is cosplay (because its awesome) but to make a movie and make it more realistic by taking out characters like Chaozu and Oolong (who are in the damn story) is so damn stupid. If you're gonna make changes like that, just write your own movie.. In short:fuck the idea of a live-action movie..
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:34 pm

The only form of this I would like is cosplay (because its awesome) but to make a movie and make it more realistic by taking out characters like Chaozu and Oolong (who are in the damn story) is so damn stupid. If you're gonna make changes like that, just write your own movie.. In short:fuck the idea of a live-action movie..
Which reminds me it doens't matter how good the special effects are days, it's never going to look cool or normal for a live action actor to where a bright orange gi all the time on screen, and even if they changed the outfits to have people in civillian clothes all the time you'd just dissapoint fans or have them comlpain.

Something else I forgot. Spider-Man, X-Men, Harry Potter, LOTR, and all these other adaptions are pretty easy to market to a large audience. For instance the Spidey movies have a huge fanbase of people that never even read the comics, along with the fanbase of those that did/do, and I'd see it being fairly hard to market a DBZ movie to a large audience or the general movie going public.
Last edited by TAS on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:37 pm

I've heard about this lots of times, and I was at one point, psyched. But a year later, and a year wiser, I see that it's not gonna happen.

Sure, there are some truths to it. Fox may have been thinking about doing a movie 5 years ago, but that was when Dragon Ball Z was at its high in the U.S. On one hand, those DVD box sets may spark a revival. But other than that, it's dead.
As seen in Conan's clip, today's technology certainly can handle DbZ-level special effects if they can do that for a weekly TV show, and that was the only real barrier. Also, you've gotta realize that: If they can do it, they eventually will do it. DragonBall (Z) is too big and well-known a series to not get an eventual live-action movie.

Eh..no. Like TAS said, there was supposed to be live-action movie remakes of Akira, Evangelion, and such. None of em are coming (Although there ARE some Evangelion movies coming out soon - so that's ok)
True, the things done in Dragon Ball can easily be created with today's technology. But the thing is - nobody will want to see it. Other than the Goku vs Superman fanboys and the dubbies. =P