You get a wish from Shenron

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: You get a wish from Shenron

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Saying that Alzheimer's is necessary is just beyond the pale for acceptable discourse. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone when reading that comment. As a woman who haz to take care of seriously ill and disabled parents I do not care for those types of comments. I also have first-hand experience with experiencing an uncontrollable breakdown in one's mental health that keeps them from doing anything for years at a time.

"Actually, Alzheimer's is good" is just not a statement I can let go unchecked. No, it sucks and telling someone who wants to rid the world of it that we need it to keep the population under control is such fucking bullshit.

I mean, Jesus Christ, we're not low on resources. We actively destroy food! We CAN solve world hunger.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:24 pm Saying that Alzheimer's is necessary is just beyond the pale for acceptable discourse. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone when reading that comment. As a woman who haz to take care of seriously ill and disabled parents I do not care for those types of comments. I also have first-hand experience with experiencing an uncontrollable breakdown in one's mental health that keeps them from doing anything for years at a time.

"Actually, " is just not a statement I can let go unchecked. No, it sucks and telling someone who wants to rid the world of it that we need it to keep the population under control is such fucking bullshit.

I mean, Jesus Christ, we're not low on resources. We actively destroy food! We CAN solve world hunger.
Julie, you no nothing about me, my life or the absolute horrors I've seen in this world. For someone who claims enlightened you don't half acted so closed minded. And thats a real shame. I for my part respect your opinion, though not the attitude that comes with it.

I've taken care of people to Julie, I've watched them be eaten away from the inside out both physical and mentally. I've sat by peoples bedsides wishing with all might hard to take it away. But that the emotional part of me, the other part of me genuinely wonders what happens when completely remove disease. I dont half the answer but it will have it's price just like it always dose, and I what that price may be.

I never said Alzheimer's is good, but that it had is place like all disease. And that is a horrible place, to take away. Just like life and death. It gives and it takes. It's not fair, but then life's not fair. Case in point, we invented health care and medicine, we live longer. Then we die from disease that only affect us because we live longer, we spread far and wide demolishing the planets eco-system and viruses evolve to beat the medicine we make.

You take disease away, and a whole new chain of events kick off because you can't cheat reality, you just own it a bigger debt when it comes knocking.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm

I think the average person would just ask for money if they were allowed to have one wish.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:34 pm

Well this got serious pretty fast, although I guess I should have expected that.

As for me, I'd just wish to be a million times smarter, then I could figure out the best way to help the world.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:10 pm

Actually, what I REALLY would wish for is to have the ability to speak a certain endangered/extinct language fluently so I can write as many language course books and dictionaries for others to learn as well.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:34 pm Well this got serious pretty fast, although I guess I should have expected that.
It just occurred to me that every once in a while, there seems to be a topic on this board that inspires some kind of philosophical, ethical or political debate that goes beyond anything Dragon Ball would ever consider covering.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:14 pmIt just occurred to me that every once in a while, there seems to be a topic on this board that inspires some kind of philosophical, ethical or political debate that goes beyond anything Dragon Ball would ever consider covering.
That happens quite often, and there's a reason for it: we're (mostly) adults discussing a show that was meant (mostly) for kids. Nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying I wouldn't call Toriyama's writing or characterization "deep." Quite often the simplest explanation is the correct explanation with him.

Why doesn't Kuririn have a nose? Toriyama forgot to draw one.
Why weren't Trunks and Goten born with tails? Toriyama forgot about them.
Why did Vegeta and Bulma get together despite Bulma and Yamcha still being an item? Toriyama needed a way for Trunks to be born.

So I'm all for having discussions about the "deeper questions" of Dragon Ball, but it's not unfair to say--I don't think--that Kanzenshuu's forums have thought about Dragon Ball in far, far greater depth than its own author has.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:51 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:14 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:34 pm Well this got serious pretty fast, although I guess I should have expected that.
It just occurred to me that every once in a while, there seems to be a topic on this board that inspires some kind of philosophical, ethical or political debate that goes beyond anything Dragon Ball would ever consider covering.
Yet Dragon Ball and Toriyama specifically nevertheless makes defined statements on these things through its writing of queer people and women.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 pm

Yeah, couldn't possibly agree more with Julie. I'd use my wish to erase all disease from the world without a second thought, and there's zero doubt in my mind that it would never be a negative thing in even a single way.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:28 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:42 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:14 pmIt just occurred to me that every once in a while, there seems to be a topic on this board that inspires some kind of philosophical, ethical or political debate that goes beyond anything Dragon Ball would ever consider covering.
That happens quite often, and there's a reason for it: we're (mostly) adults discussing a show that was meant (mostly) for kids. Nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying I wouldn't call Toriyama's writing or characterization "deep." Quite often the simplest explanation is the correct explanation with him.

Why did Vegeta and Bulma get together despite Bulma and Yamcha still being an item? Toriyama needed a way for Trunks to be born.

So I'm all for having discussions about the "deeper questions" of Dragon Ball, but it's not unfair to say--I don't think--that Kanzenshuu's forums have thought about Dragon Ball in far, far greater depth than its own author has.
That was my point. It’s funny seeing threads like this on a Dragon Ball forum, since Dragon Ball is a silly children’s story that’s hardly known for having deep writing. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It’s just funny to take into account.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:28 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:42 pm

That was my point. It’s funny seeing threads like this on a Dragon Ball forum, since Dragon Ball is a silly children’s story that’s hardly known for having deep writing. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It’s just funny to take into account.
Totally. Not a bad thing, but funny at the same time. It makes me wonder if there's a forum out there discussing the supposed "deeper meanings" of David The Gnome. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:37 am

To have the answers to every question I ask.
I think that covers most I could ever wish for, ideal partner(s?), scientific advances (immortality?, space colonization), paths to different outcomes (form an ideal society), avoid events (death and extinction), etc.
Dr. Casey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 pm Yeah, couldn't possibly agree more with Julie. I'd use my wish to erase all disease from the world without a second thought, and there's zero doubt in my mind that it would never be a negative thing in even a single way.
To think that overall it will be still positive is one thing, but there are many variables linked to that that could lead to as much or more overall suffering than the diseases themselves if they just suddenly disappear.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 am

I would wish for the same thing I wish from God.

"I wish for whatever it is I should wish for"—they're in a better position to make that call than me, after all.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 am

I noticed that no one seems to have mentioned undoing events like the Holocaust and 9/11. Would something like that be beyond Shenlong’s power?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:58 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 am I noticed that no one seems to have mentioned undoing events like the Holocaust and 9/11. Would something like that be beyond Shenlong’s power?
I dunno people are saying they’d wish to be a a God which is definitely out of Shen Long’s power so I don’t think anyone is too hung up on the rules

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:05 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 am I noticed that no one seems to have mentioned undoing events like the Holocaust and 9/11. Would something like that be beyond Shenlong’s power?
Changing history is a HUGE gamble. It would benefit the short term of that timeframe, but it could indirectly lead to something worse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:05 am

People out here wishing for world peace meanwhile all Julie cares about is getting knocked up. SMH

(Not that I regret it at all, though :P).
She/Her
bisexual milf

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am

Assuming Shenlong can grant it, then solving the climate crisis is probably top of my list right now. After that, we can get to work in dismantling industry and technology.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am Assuming Shenlong can grant it, then solving the climate crisis is probably top of my list right now. After that, we can get to work in dismantling industry and technology.
Why dismantle the industry? Do you prefer living with an 1880s economy?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:31 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am
Yuji wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am Assuming Shenlong can grant it, then solving the climate crisis is probably top of my list right now. After that, we can get to work in dismantling industry and technology.
Why dismantle the industry? Do you prefer living with an 1880s economy?
The industrial system is almost single-handedly responsible for the climate crisis. A serious reconstruction is needed or, if that fails to change our fundamental views in regards to machinery, technology and their relation to nature and our minds, complete destruction.

The 1880s were the birth of the second industrial revolution, so I'd rather we not imitate it again.