What do you call the team: Z-Warriors or Dragon Team?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What do you call the team: Z-Warriors or Dragon Team?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:38 pm

I'm referring to the team of our heroes. There are two different titles for the team.

Z-Warriors (also known as Z-Fighters, Z-Senshi, or Earth's Special Force)

This title refers to the core set of fighters who defend the Earth from evil-doers. The members are:

Dragon Team

This includes the core fighters in addition to their allies who don't really fight:

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jaetinh
Regular

Re: What do you call the team: Z-Warriors or Dragon Team?

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:06 pm

I use both terms for the fighters. When I'm referring to the OG's (Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tenshinhan and Chaozu) I strictly use Dragon Team though.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:31 pm

I prefer Z-Fighters to Z-Warriors. It just rolls off the tongue better for me, being one less syllable compared to 'warriors'.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:11 pm

I use Z Fighters. (Yes I know it only works in Z.) Otherwise I just say the squad

But I gotta say I always thought Earth’s Special Forces was cool sounding.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:16 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:11 pm

Earth’s Special Forces makes way more sense. How would they even know to call themselves the Z Warriors/Fighters/Senshi unless they knew they were in a show called Dragon Ball Z?

Did Funimation even use Earth’s Special Forces after their Saban days? I’m drawing a blank.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:16 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:11 pm

Earth’s Special Forces makes way more sense. How would they even know to call themselves the Z Warriors/Fighters/Senshi unless they knew they were in a show called Dragon Ball Z?

Did Funimation even use Earth’s Special Forces after their Saban days? I’m drawing a blank.
The dub of the Trunks special has the narrator use the term.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm

I do exactly the same as OP -- refer to the martial artists who gather together to defend the planet as the Z-Warriors, and the whole gang including non-combatants as the Dragon Team. But when chatting in less DB-centric circles, Z-Warriors or Z-Fighters is simply far more recognisable and distinctive than Dragon Team. Simply saying "the main characters" never goes amiss either, I guess.

I was surprised to see a minority backlash against the term Z-Warriors. I get that it sounds like a #radical Funi dubism, but it has a precedent in the Japanese anime. And I get that Z-Warriors being a non-diegetic name irks some people but throughout pop culture there's plenty of examples of character herds having nicknames they don't use themselves. The Rebellion/Resistance Heroes, Joestar Group, Team TARDIS (until recently), Keystone Cops, etc. It applies to real world history as well. The Founding Fathers didn't refer to themselves as that. But it just helps get the point across quicker.

While it's never used in-universe (neither is Dragon Team as far as I'm aware), Z-Warriors does make some thematic sense to me. They gather together as an absolute last resort to defend Earth and it conveys their status as misfit weirdos, kinda like the phrase "Z-list celebrity". It's funny that Toyotaro's manga has also upgraded the Z-Warriors into the 'Super-Warriors' in some chapter titles. Would the GT cast be called the 'Grand Tourers'? :| The Super-Warriors are a bit more consistent than before. You can always expect to see Goku, Vegeta, Kuririn, Piccolo, Roshi, Gohan and Tenshinhan (with Jaco and the Androids usually) on the roster.

Earth's Special Forces sounds way too militarised for my liking.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:10 pm

The protagonists.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:40 pm

I don't generally find it to be a necessary distinction, frankly. Either the context implies who is being spoken about or I refer to them individually. Otherwise, I dunno... the good guys? I can't think of a situation where it comes up to use a particular term.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:41 am

I like "Z-Soldiers". It sounds a bit darker to me and reminds me of my perception of the series when I was first getting into it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:09 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm It's funny that Toyotaro's manga has also upgraded the Z-Warriors into the 'Super-Warriors' in some chapter titles.
Super Warriors was used as far back as the Japanese Z movie titles.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Japanese Avengers.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:34 pm

I usually go with Z Fighters or Z Warriors, used interchangeably since they're pretty much the same thing anyway and it adds some variety. "Dragon Team" works best for the pre-Z group, though, I feel. I mean, I'm not gonna call Oolong a Z Fighter, but he was part of the team back then. Anyway, I've also noticed that sometimes, official Japanese sources will literally just say "gokuu-tachi", as in "Goku and co.", and that's very fitting as well.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:21 pm

Old Zettonians.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:34 pm

I don't recall where "Dragon Team" came from -- is it official or a fan thing?

I usually call them "Z Warriors" or "Z Fighters." I think Toei's go-to is "Son Goku and his friends" lol

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:34 pm I don't recall where "Dragon Team" came from -- is it official or a fan thing?
They're called the "Dragon Team" in the title of DB Chapter 23. I don't know whether that's the specific origin of the phrase, but it does therefore show up officially pretty early on in the Manga; it also shows up later, as with Chapter 430.