"Live Action Dragon Ball Z Movie"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: "Live Action Dragon Ball Z Movie"

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:01 pm

Well Pikachu had a big Hollywood film so I could see Goku getting one. Although DB isnt as big as Pokemon so maybe it wouldn't receive as much investment.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:54 pm

The reason why we probably haven't seen anyone make a live action DB movie again is because DBE was a total train wreck. No one wants to touch the IP again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:20 pm

I doubt Evolution is holding anyone back. It's been over ten years and the movie didn't get much attention in the first place. Live action anime just isn't a thing right now.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:23 am

MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:20 pm I doubt Evolution is holding anyone back. It's been over ten years and the movie didn't get much attention in the first place. Live action anime just isn't a thing right now.
Dozens of live action adaptions of manga and anime have been made in Japan in the last ten years.

Hollywood is not the end-all-be-all, y'all!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:31 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:23 am
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:20 pm I doubt Evolution is holding anyone back. It's been over ten years and the movie didn't get much attention in the first place. Live action anime just isn't a thing right now.
Dozens of live action adaptions of manga and anime have been made in Japan in the last ten years.

Yup quite a lot too.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:23 amDozens of live action adaptions of manga and anime have been made in Japan in the last ten years.

And if you go back further than just the last ten years, you'll find plenty of live action anime and manga adaptations (both from Japan and even a few here or there made in the West) that are actually pretty damn great. Movies like Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf and Cub, Female Prisoner Scorpion 701 (which I mentioned in the thread about Kikuchi's passing), and so on are not simply live action manga adaptations, they're also undisputed stone cold legit cinematic classics. Like actual great films with respected pedigree among actual serious filmmakers, not just great adaptations of manga.

However, recognizing and understanding that such movies exist within the realm of live action anime/manga adaptations would require people here needing to leave the comfort zone of A) children's movies, B) super recent movies, and C) Hollywood tentpole summer blockbuster movies.

Heaven forbid, I know.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 am

Live action anime and manga isn't a thing in Hollywood right now, to be more specific, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'm not sure that it even ever should.

Although I could possibly see live action series made in the television format. Dragon Ball on Netflix. Yu Yu Hakusho on the CW. Hokuto no Ken on HBO Max. Who knows...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 am Re: "Live Action Dragon Ball Z Movie"Quote MyVisionity
by MyVisionity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 am

Live action anime and manga isn't a thing in Hollywood right now, to be more specific, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'm not sure that it even ever should.
Netflix is doing a live action Yu Yu Hakusho.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:17 am

Oh wow, did not know that.

However it sounds like that's going to be a Japanese series and not an American one, so it's not quite what I was getting at.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 am

Yeah, but why are we looking to Hollywood for these adaptions when if anything that would only mean lower quality?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 am

If Zack Snyder directed a live action Dragon Ball movie, I think that's the only way they could possibly top Evolution as the single worst Dragon Ball product to ever be shat onto our laps.

That's not to say that Snyder is necessarily a bad director; he's got a great eye for cinematography, he works well with actors, and he's great at action, but you have to apply him correctly. He was wrong for Watchmen because he didn't get it and played it too straight, he's wrong for Superman because he doesn't get it and plays Superman as a mopey Jesus wannabe who murders people, and he would be wrong for Dragon Ball because Dragon Ball is supposed to be a light, fun martial arts adventure for children.

If it had to be a mainstream western director, get Taika Waititi or Edgar Wright if you can manage it, but really if a live action Dragon Ball movie got made (not Z. If they skip to Z, as far as I'm concerned that's a clear indication that it will be a shat-out cash-in), they should get someone with a track record for martial arts films to capture the wuxia style of the original series.

I still stand by my long-held view that a good live-action Dragon Ball movie is possible and could be a mainstream hit while being a legitimately good adaptation of the original manga (with many liberties taken to make it fit cinematic form; think Path To Power). The reason Evolution didn't work is because no one involved in it on the writing, directing, or producing side actually knew or cared what Dragon Ball was, and they just wanted to use its recognisable name on some cookie-cutter churned-out blockbuster to try to get a franchise going while they had some extra cash lying around from X-Men.
I think in a world where Marvel and Harry Potter have succeeded, though, studio execs would probably be more open to the idea of a more legitimate Dragon Ball movie that has the full weirdness of the original, and has the capacity to run as long as Harry Potter did, and similarly follow the main characters growing and changing over the years it covers. Especially since Disney owns Fox now. Maybe they'd even consult with Kevin Feige of Marvel. Certainly that's what they seem to be doing with Star Wars now.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:28 am

Zack Snyder definitely wouldn't be a good candidate for a live action Dragon Ball movie, unless it was something like the Bardock or Trunks specials, which most studio execs wouldn't be willing to take a chance on because of their dark and sombre nature, and would need to be extended to fill the runtime.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:39 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:28 am Zack Snyder definitely wouldn't be a good candidate for a live action Dragon Ball movie, unless it was something like the Bardock or Trunks specials, which most studio execs wouldn't be willing to take a chance on because of their dark and sombre nature, and would need to be extended to fill the runtime.
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Snyder would suck all the emotion out of them because even his so-called 'dark' works have zero heart to them. Snyder is a director who lacks an understanding on how to apply emotion to his work. He seems very closed-off and fake in his interviews and I've seen how that translates into his work.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 am

ABED wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 am
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 am Re: "Live Action Dragon Ball Z Movie"Quote MyVisionity

And wasnt there a Ghost in the Shell recently?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:28 am Zack Snyder definitely wouldn't be a good candidate for a live action Dragon Ball movie, unless it was something like the Bardock or Trunks specials, which most studio execs wouldn't be willing to take a chance on because of their dark and sombre nature, and would need to be extended to fill the runtime.
They were tv specials made for elementary school boys. They’re not too dark or sombre for movie studios.

Zack Synder wouldn’t be a good candidate because he really just isn’t a good director.

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 am

I still stand by my long-held view that a good live-action Dragon Ball movie is possible and could be a mainstream hit while being a legitimately good adaptation of the original manga (with many liberties taken to make it fit cinematic form; think Path To Power).

While I agreed 100 percent with everything you said, I’m singling this out because I always felt Path to Power would be an excellent template for a live action Dragon Ball movie just expand it to two hours and maybe make a few changes (I’d drop Hachan completely and put Kuririn in the movie as a student of Roshi when Goku and the gang meet Roshi for the first time, develop Goku and Kuririn’s friendship, have Kuririn be the one to die and then wished back by Shenlong and end the movie with Goku and Kuririn training under Kame Sennin in preparation for the Tenkaichi Tournament)

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 am
ABED wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 am

And wasnt there a Ghost in the Shell recently?
Well, a few years ago, but yes.

As for Snyder; No. He couldn't do Superman right, and he would butcher Goku just as bad. As terrible and awful as DBE was, it at least had colors that popped. Snyder just puts everything under one color filter or another.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:39 am
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Snyder would suck all the emotion out of them because even his so-called 'dark' works have zero heart to them. Snyder is a director who lacks an understanding on how to apply emotion to his work. He seems very closed-off and fake in his interviews and I've seen how that translates into his work.
I’m not sure what you mean by “closed-off.” He clearly has a sense of humor and people seem to enjoy working with him. I’d also argue that his version of JL ironically has more heart to it than the theatrical version. He still wouldn’t be a good choice for a Dragon Ball movie, though.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 pm

While I agreed 100 percent with everything you said, I’m singling this out because I always felt Path to Power would be an excellent template for a live action Dragon Ball movie just expand it to two hours and maybe make a few changes (I’d drop Hachan completely and put Kuririn in the movie as a student of Roshi when Goku and the gang meet Roshi for the first time, develop Goku and Kuririn’s friendship, have Kuririn be the one to die and then wished back by Shenlong and end the movie with Goku and Kuririn training under Kame Sennin in preparation for the Tenkaichi Tournament)
My approach would be similar but I wouldn't have anybody die in the first movie. Instead, Krillin and Roshi die in the Piccolo movie so their deaths hold a little more weight since we don't already see the "character gets wished back/brought back to life" trope play out previously. In the second movie I'd have the Tournament get crashed right before Goku and Krillin are gonna fight, with them finding him dead during an intermission and that's how everything kicks off.

The way I'd do it, I'd probably drop Puar entirely and instead make Oolong Yamcha's partner, while Krillin would sort of have Oolong's role in Path to Power wherein he's a guy Goku & Bulma run into who tries to steal their shit, only he's trying to find a way to Master Roshi so he can train under him.

Other random musing's I've always had:

Commander Red would be a composite of Pilaf and canon Red, with some of Pilaf's slapstick antics
Launch would have an entirely new character as she would play the Mai role as Red's secretary alongside Officer Black and she sneezes into her good self at the right time to help the heroes out
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm

I think Path to Power adaption would work. Couldnt really imagine something like the Saiyan arc working unless they make it episodic like films, something I'm not really a fan of.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:23 amDozens of live action adaptions of manga and anime have been made in Japan in the last ten years.

And if you go back further than just the last ten years, you'll find plenty of live action anime and manga adaptations (both from Japan and even a few here or there made in the West) that are actually pretty damn great. Movies like Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf and Cub, Female Prisoner Scorpion 701 (which I mentioned in the thread about Kikuchi's passing), and so on are not simply live action manga adaptations, they're also undisputed stone cold legit cinematic classics. Like actual great films with respected pedigree among actual serious filmmakers, not just great adaptations of manga.

However, recognizing and understanding that such movies exist within the realm of live action anime/manga adaptations would require people here needing to leave the comfort zone of A) children's movies, B) super recent movies, and C) Hollywood tentpole summer blockbuster movies.

Heaven forbid, I know.
Wow! I didn't realize Martin Scorsese frequents Dragon Ball forums!
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza