What do you think Dragon Ball RoF mistakes are?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: What do you think Dragon Ball RoF mistakes are?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:07 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 am I don't really get the hate for this movie honestly. It's better than quite a few of the older movies.
The older movies are at least less than an hour long. RF is over 90 minutes long for a plot that’s just as paper thin as many of the older movies.
I do agree that it’s disappointing how useless everyone other than Goku is in Movie 3, but it’s not like they’re treated much better in RF. The guys they’re fighting are just fodder. There’s no tension or weight behind their fights. It feels like it’s only there to pad out the runtime.

Besides, I’d argue that Movie 3 ironically has a more engaging and cinematic story in comparison. The plot for RF is about as simple and barebones as a 90 minute feature film possibly could be.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm Yamcha's story in Movie #6 needed a few more lines. I wish that they would have underscored that he purchased the air ship as a show of his ability to sustain a livelihood so that he could then propose to Blooma. The fear of the movies to actually develop the characters and ignore the comic really are their weakest link.
What more is there to say about that idea?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:06 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm Yamcha's story in Movie #6 needed a few more lines
Wouldn’t call it a story. More of a gag that he buys an expensive vehicle and it gets wrecked right away. Since he’s the only Z warrior with a job it would make sense for him to be able to buy himself something.

. I wish that they would have underscored that he purchased the air ship as a show of his ability to sustain a livelihood so that he could then propose to Blooma. The fear of the movies to actually develop the characters and ignore the comic really are their weakest link.
We know he wants to get married. Having him propose to Bulma wouldn’t develop his character especially since that would have gone nowhere. The outcome would be Bulma says no. Or she says yes and then the writers just pretend the engagement never happened when she inevitably hooks up with Vegeta.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:07 am

I think RoF’s most serious mistake is to exist.

I’m not exactly against Freeza returning to the cast, but the way he returns and is discarded seems pointless. If you think about what RoF contributed to the story, you won’t find anything that really mattered. Perhaps Whis undoing stuff for 3 minutes is the only interesting thing about it, and it was wasted in this crap movie.

I prefer to pretend this movie never happened and that Freeza’s return actually occurred on ToP, where his interactions made more sense. At least, there you have Freeza addressing the weaknesses of his full strength.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:16 pm In some cases the old ones feel rushed, but I would not consider movie 3 among them. It's just long enough. ROF and Broly are too long, whereas the theatrical cut of BOG is the right length.
It's not the overall runtime that bothers me about Movie 3. If anything it drags a bit later on with the 2 Spirit Bombs. I'd just prefer more of the time being spent on the gang fighting the henchmen rather than the boring stretch near the end.

The theatrical BoG cut is better than the extended, but still drags in places like with Pilaf and co.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:46 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:16 pm In some cases the old ones feel rushed, but I would not consider movie 3 among them. It's just long enough. ROF and Broly are too long, whereas the theatrical cut of BOG is the right length.
It's not the overall runtime that bothers me about Movie 3. If anything it drags a bit later on with the 2 Spirit Bombs. I'd just prefer more of the time being spent on the gang fighting the henchmen rather than the boring stretch near the end.

The theatrical BoG cut is better than the extended, but still drags in places like with Pilaf and co.
Disagree on all counts. The extended footage in ROF is fun but not necessary. I like the Pilaf stuff and don't think it drags anything down since the film is by and large a hang out movie. The characters are reconnecting with each other and the audience is as well by proxy.

As for the Tree of Might, the pacing works great for me. It speeds up when necessary and slows down when it needs to. It's movie 2 that feels like it could use a trim.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Movie 3 needed to dial back on the establishing shots of Earth getting affected by the tree.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:22 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:46 pmDisagree on all counts. The extended footage in ROF is fun but not necessary. I like the Pilaf stuff and don't think it drags anything down since the film is by and large a hang out movie. The characters are reconnecting with each other and the audience is as well by proxy.

As for the Tree of Might, the pacing works great for me. It speeds up when necessary and slows down when it needs to. It's movie 2 that feels like it could use a trim.
The Pilaf stuff in BoG feels unnecessary and distracting. They were funny in OG DB but here their humour just isn't that funny.

It just feels like a waste having Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu in Movie 3 when we only see them fight for a few seconds each. They might as well have kept it to Goku, Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo like the other movies for all we see of the other guys. I think Tien has 1 line the whole movie.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm Movie 3 needed to dial back on the establishing shots of Earth getting affected by the tree.
This too.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm Movie 3 needed to dial back on the establishing shots of Earth getting affected by the tree.
No. They were gorgeous and atmospheric.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:55 pm

Why? They looked cool and showed how grave the stakes were.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 pm

I found it funny in OG DB and I still find it hilarious. I don't see what it's supposedly distracting us from. The plot? The film wasn't about the plot.

Those tiny fights only lasted a few seconds, but they are all memorable moments. That film is filled with memorable moments and I'll take that over almost anything.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:53 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:55 pm
Why? They looked cool and showed how grave the stakes were.
I’m not saying they shouldn’t have been there. They obviously needed to be there. I just think they went on for too long.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:29 am

dragondyle wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am Honestly, my biggest gripe with the film is that they didn't let Vegeta finish off Freeza. That would have been such an amazing character moment that would have finally given him his revenge for what Freeza did to his people. It would have paid off years of anticipation for that kind of match up.
All these years later and Goku still has to shine. I think it was a mistake to revive Freeza at all. Just create someone new.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 am

I don't think it has any mistakes, only disappointing aspects.

I found it disappointing how Tagoma was easily disposed of, same with Shisami. They had cool designs. I found it disappointing how young Trunks was completely ommited from the story. The premise of Freeza's return wasn't all that interesting to me either.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:17 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 am I don't really get the hate for this movie honestly. It's better than quite a few of the older movies.
I believe one of the main reasons why RoF is so hated is because it's a canonical film and it's made by Toriyama, thus attracting a lot more attention, and it can't just be overlooked in the series' overall plot progression' so its flaws are more targeted. Because there are other DB movies that are much more uninspired, boring and bland out there and usually don't get as much hate. On its on, it's decent, fun and typical DB movie, not terrible. Ironically, I remember that the movie's reception hadn't been bad when it was released, so I think it just aged badly in light of the new content the series introduced later.

I also believe that DBS ended up bringing more meaning and relevance to RoF, which at first felt more like a standalone film with no consequences overall. Frieza's resurrection and Ultra Instinct being examples

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:04 pm

I’m going to be talking about the movie since that’s the only version of the story I’ve ever watched. And quite frankly that’s the only version of the story I have any interest in watching or reading.

- I dislike how much the Z-fighters struggled against Frieza’s troops. At this point any one of them should’ve made quick work of Frieza’s entire squad, and any upper hand the troops had felt forced and unbelievable.

- I dislike all the poor excuses made to justify the absence of other characters that would’ve been helpful. But maybe it was for the best because everyone other than Frieza was already ridiculously outmatched.

- Frieza is a joke in this film. He makes rookie mistakes that make him look like an idiot like apparently just rushing to earth the moment he unlocked a new form. And only briefly does he manage to get the upper hand against Goku when there’s three more powerful people within a few square feet of the fight.

- Frieza’s power jump was simultaneously ridiculous and underwhelming. But even worse than that I feel, is the apparent fact that Frieza KNEW about Beerus. The same guy who wiped out an entire planet on nothing more than suspicion decided it would be okay to grovel under someone he could’ve surpassed in like a year of working out in this continuity? No, I don’t buy it.

- Golden Frieza and SSJB are lame transformations. I like the colors but they are really just there for me.

- Jaco is just there. I don’t understand why his inclusion was of any importance other than fan service for Toriyama buffs.

- Goku’s loss at a laser beam blast of all things.

- The movie apparently having the gall to even suggest that Vegeta would’ve actually taken up Frieza’s offer. Forget the end of Z, we know there’s no logical reason for Vegeta to want to join up with Frieza again. I think that was a terrible idea to tease and it’s made even worse by the movie dragging out the scene to make it suggest it was actually convinced it was throwing audiences for a loop.

So yeah those are my major complaints with the film.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 am

I really don't get the dislike for the film. It's an enjoyable lighthearted romp, which was what all the revival material promised until Super got past the U6 arc, that nevertheless provided a new status quo (it set up everything related to Goku and Vegeta training with Whis and Beerus, and gave us Blue, which isn't anything narratively in the film but is enjoyable as spectacle and for what it promised as a new standard transformation) while being accompanied by Toriyama's dry character humor courtesy of his script.

My biggest misgivings with it are the amount of time dedicated to the peanut gallery vs. soldier fight--which is fun spectacle for a bit but runs way too long for something with a foregone conclusion (see also, Moro arc), and some rather bizarre editing and soundtrack choices in the Goku vs. Freeza fight--(although I think there's memorable choreography there too; Goku dodging Freeza's flurry of red blasts sticks with me).

For Freeza's return, he's on the one hand meant to be someone taken lightly, a la Avo and Kado in the 2008 special--a character who doesn't realize that even though he's powered up he's too little too late, becoming a training hurdle for Goku and Vegeta--and provides the sincere fun of the most memorable, long-eclipsed villain becoming the strongest again, if only for long enough to suffer a pratfall. Paving the way for his return as a permanent cast member isn't something I can give to the film, but I'm glad it wound up providing the path for that too. Freeza as someone who's a genuine threat (third strongest guy in the universe, or so) while also being on the back foot and having to evaluate his own odds and build himself up starts here, and that dynamic is a fun one when it's brought back long-term in Super (specifically because it's Freeza, having to approach things so differently than he did in the Namek arc and just generally make peace with how he assesses his lot post-defeat).

It isn't incredible, but I think it hits most of the right notes for a light-hearted DB outing--and then some in its shifting of the status-quo (even if Super commits itself a bit overzealously to "F"'s new status-quo in the aftermath)--and I really, to this day, feel that a lot of the vitriol toward it comes from fans who were expecting something completely different and rather more self-serious while following its pre-production. Taken on its own, its only great crime is being the worst of the three Toriyama-scripted films.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:08 am

SuperSunnyDee wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:04 pm - Frieza is a joke in this film. He makes rookie mistakes that make him look like an idiot like apparently just rushing to earth the moment he unlocked a new form. And only briefly does he manage to get the upper hand against Goku when there’s three more powerful people within a few square feet of the fight.
I think that's very in character. In the original manga/anime he rushes to earth as soon as he can after Goku defeats him, and gets killed easily. He makes that same mistake in this film. He kind of genuinely is a bit of an idiot. He's also a martial arts scrub who was born into power and doesn't know how to use it (has to create transformations to contain his power, doesn't know how to sense ki), so him not even realising that his new form has a huge weakness and wanting to enact his revenge straight away is appropriate in my eyes.

Freeza has literally never trained before until this film. He is a rookie, in both the original run and this film. It follows that he will make rookie mistakes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:34 am

Never really thought about it. My very first impression was that I enjoyed this movie more than Battle of Gods. Not that it was a better movie, but I enjoyed it more likely because of my personal expectations. I probably expected too much from Battle of Gods and had super low expectations for Resurrection F, especially after learning the premise and about Super Saiyan Blue.

I think the big mistakes in this movie were just fundamentals. The idea of Freeza returning and kind of recreating the Freeza arc was super weak. And I will never figure out why they just didn't stick with Super Saiyan God instead of just leapfrogging it for Super Saiyan Blue -- or Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan... the most unbelievable name ever -- not in a good way.

RashFaustinho

Post by RashFaustinho » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:40 am

1) Biggest, biggest, BIGGEST mistake of all, introducing a new transformation (SSGSS) so soon, killing off Super Saiyan God in the span of just 1 fight. The worst part is that's even a MAINLINE transformation.
It bloated Goku's Super Saiyan forms into a numerical equivalent of a Super Saiyan 5 way too quickly.
This caused writers (both Toei and Toyotaro) to find excuses to make the transformation return in later sagas and give it a purpose.
This SSGSS transformation, with a stupid name with an even stupid-er excuse for it (The Super Saiyan of a Super Saiyan God...? Super Saiyan Squared?) had a huge impact on DB Super as whole IMHO

2) Super Saiyan Blue's design is plain, generic and boring

3) The Time Rewind plot device, all because the writers didn't have the guts to spice up things a little bit and let Vegeta take the kill for once.

4) Goku lowering his guard is very OOC given what we've read in Dragon Ball.

5) The Z Warriors power down is excessive (they can't keep up with some random alien soldiers... really?) and came out of nowhere (In Battle of Gods everyone looked normal)

6) Last but not least, the movie was kinda... boring. The fighting itself was very slow and not super fast-paced like in BOG, it looked like something out of Z but more generic, bland and boring.