Worst character design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Worst character design?

Post by super michael » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:13 pm god i love mahou shoujo series'.
What you say is the best mahou shoujo series in your opinion? mahou means magic and I like anime that is about magic.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:13 pm god i love mahou shoujo series'.
Eternally praying for Toei to release Hugtto! PreCure in the US on Blu-ray. 😭😭😭
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:13 pmI thought the Universe 2 stuff was funny at first because I absolutely despise the Magical Girl genre to begin with so it was funny seeing them poke fun at all the stupid shit with the recycled animations and such, but after a while the shtick got one note and took up too much time when I would rather the story focus on cool shit.
I honestly thought this was the crux for the disdain of the character, is that she over stayed her welcome. The whole fit girl becoming fat was part of the "joke". I understand why people hate the character in that respect but for me personally I'm indifferent, mostly because she wasn't really relevant to the story at large anyway so I never took her too seriously and Honestly that goes for most of the other universe's fighters except Toppo and Jiren.

Also Super Sentai and Mahou series' are pretty similar at least aesthetically. High Schooler/Young Adult is chosen to become Earth's greatest hero because they're courageous and gain their powers by using an artifact to transform into a costumed super soldier while preaching about love, justice and nature. Oh and cant forget the cool poses.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:13 pm
Also Super Sentai and Mahou series' are pretty similar at least aesthetically. High Schooler/Young Adult is chosen to become Earth's greatest hero because they're courageous and gain their powers by using an artifact to transform into a costumed super soldier while preaching about love, justice and nature. Oh and cant forget the cool poses.
Ehh I’m pretty sure Sailor Moon, and thus all of its imitators, was directly inspired by the Super Sentai set up of a team of 5 who pose and do speeches. I don’t think every Magical Girl series includes that stuff. Just the ones following Sailor Moon, which itself was following Super Sentai.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:44 pm
lol i was about to start that one because from experience you can't really go wrong with a junichi sato mahou shoujo series (even toei sailor moon he made good, i don't even think ikuhara did that and i freaking love ikuhara), and the effort i had to go thru to find a way to watch was honestly kinda shocking. i know precure isn't super popular in america but damn lol. it's no anime summer though so whatever.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:19 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:44 pm
lol i was about to start that one because from experience you can't really go wrong with a junichi sato mahou shoujo series (even toei sailor moon he made good, i don't even think ikuhara did that and i freaking love ikuhara), and the effort i had to go thru to find a way to watch was honestly kinda shocking. i know precure isn't super popular in america but damn lol. it's no anime summer though so whatever.
It's the first PreCure I saw in full! It's so good, I really connect with the baby stuff, Ruru and Emiru's arcs and their relationship and of course Henri's very subtle trans allegory.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 am

I think Ribrianne could be redeemed in the eyes of the fans if they had her return but only play a small role so she would be viewed more positively.

For starters, maybe a scene where they are doing a multiversal spirit bomb, and Ribrianne and her team are shown contributing their love energy (it could even make the spirit bomb glow pink a bit for a second).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 am I think Ribrianne could be redeemed in the eyes of the fans if they had her return but only play a small role so she would be viewed more positively.

For starters, maybe a scene where they are doing a multiversal spirit bomb, and Ribrianne and her team are shown contributing their love energy (it could even make the spirit bomb glow pink a bit for a second).
Ah yes, seen but not heard.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:16 am

She doesnt need to be redeemed, Ribrianne isn't important/popular enough to warrant a comeback, you either like her or you don't it is what it is.

Sure a scenario can be concocted where Helles contacts Beerus because she need's Goku's help because her team isn't strong enough to beat their bad guy or whatever but that really wouldn't do anyone any favors, so just leave it.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 am I think Ribrianne could be redeemed in the eyes of the fans if they had her return but only play a small role so she would be viewed more positively.

I would really like for her and her friends to have a reconciliation with 18, Krillin and 17, and a ministory in which they help them out. Especially because I think the Maidens will actually be much friendlier towards U7, ESPECIALLY 17 (assuming they pick up on a really subtle hint, that at least I think was intentional). Dokkan does have a... Decent enough starting point?... Of how they interact after the ToP. Also I would like SOME explanation about her becoming or being a Love Goddess.

But I guess that will never happen at this point.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:59 pm

RE: Worst Character Design

Bio Broly. Just ugly to look at in every shape and form and so uninspired. And it didn't need to be like that. The movie could have taken a more creative approach in making Broly look more like an abomination of science. Perhaps take inspiration from movies like David Cronenberg's The Fly and mould Broly's appearance like Seth Brundle's gradual transformation into "Brundlefly". Just go full body horror with Broly if that's the direction the film wanted to go.

RE: Ribrianne

I think her biggest misgiving was her fluctuation in strength. Because this made it difficult to take her seriously in combat. Toei very clearly wanted to make her a big deal in the Tournament Of Power but got cold feet every time. The first thing we see her when she transforms in Episode 101 is tangle with #17 (a SSJB tier fighter), and then she fights SSJ Vegeta and you get the idea she's incredibly powerful. Then, in the episode right after 110, the episode where Goku used SSJB to take down a powered up Ribrianne, she nearly gets defeat by Vegeta in his base form. Then she morphs into some Giant Kaiju like form and you think this would be the start of being a major threat, but #18 then just one-shots her and she's eliminated.

I don't think anybody knew what to do with Ribrianne beyond her character design to make her enough of an intriguing character, or to even justify the amount of screentime she got, at least in the anime. Toei went with making her a parody of the Magical Girl genre and never utilised that concept until her final fight... several dozens of episodes later after her debut. And Toyotaro just... did nothing with her. I can't remember anything she does in the manga, that is incredibly damning.

In both mediums, she wasn't handled properly. In the anime, she was a gag character that got old really quick. In the manga, she's barely a character. In my honest opinion, out of all the new characters introduced in Dragon Ball Super, Ribrianne is the most inconsistently and mishandled character written in the entire show, and that is really saying something. I don't think any fan would have given a shit about how she looked if she was at least well written.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Super 17. He's just 17 except taller and with longer hair.

Though damn near everything about him is uninspired.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Pre-2010s DB:

Bio Broly
Dr. Myuu (He is almost like a color swap of Dr. Gero)
GT Bra
GT Goten
GT Vegeta with his mustache
Lord Ludd
Maron
Super #13
The Seventh Star Shadow Dragon - I just want to punch him in the face when I see him on screen.

Modern DB:

Ahms' 2nd Form
Anilaza
Cumber
Demigra (Final Form) - I was laughing my ass off when I saw his design in XV1
Jiren
Kamioren
Super Giant Xeno Lord Slug
Prum
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm Super 17. He's just 17 except taller and with longer hair.

I was expecting... well IDK what I was expecting with two identical people fusing... but definitely not what came out.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm Super 17. He's just 17 except taller and with longer hair.

His shoulderless long sleeve shirt is hella distracting.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:41 pm

To be fair that is two C17 fusing, two characters that looks identical. It isn't surprising that Super 17 doesn't look that different.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:43 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:16 am She doesnt need to be redeemed, Ribrianne isn't important/popular enough to warrant a comeback, you either like her or you don't it is what it is.

Sure a scenario can be concocted where Helles contacts Beerus because she need's Goku's help because her team isn't strong enough to beat their bad guy or whatever but that really wouldn't do anyone any favors, so just leave it.
I said for starters, just to test the waters, so to speak. If it works out she could come back in a more major role, but also include many of the fighters from the other universes.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 pm

It's fine if people find his personality and character boring or bland, but I think it's kind of weird that the reason people don't like Kyabe's design is just because he's ''too skinny''. I mean…it's not like we haven't had similar characters on the show, or profiles that are far from the show's standard. His hair really could be more unique like Caulifla's (it just looks too much like Gohan's), but I don't have a problem with his body structure.

I would say the same to Ribrianne (not liking her design JUST because she is fat).

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 pm

I dislike all of the overly thin U6 Saiyan designs. I'm not saying make them look like roided up late-Frieza saga Goku but that rail-thin aesthetic is oversaturated in anime and i hate how it looks on general principle.

Something like this (credit Tazior1 on twitter):

Is more reasonable.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 am

I feel like it's cheating using an example from GT, Super or God forbid, Heroes, but I'm gonna do it any. Absolute worst character design throughout the whole series has to be this motherfucker right here:

Everything about this fucker screams "unappealing", whether it was intentional or not.

>His gaudy 90's cult leader outfit
>His dishwasher gloves
>His ugly monkey face
>His creepy eyeballs
>His mortifying "Karen" hairdo
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!