Worst character design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Worst character design?

Post by Desassina » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 am

Worst design goes to:

I hate what they did to Majin Boo: his fit body beneath the cape and vest is neither Gotenks nor Piccolo Boo cool and his face doesn't work in that shape like Evil Boo's. We had enough of a contrast with both fat and skinny versions of the same attire, and there was a reason for Toriyama to ditch it for Pure Boo's frame with many shapes.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 am

Well it was done for gag purposes so I don't think much creative thought was supposed to be put into Fit Boo's design anyway.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:53 am

The only thing I like about Zeno is he's easily able to be parodied using Stewie from Family Guy, other than that the design is horrible. I'd prefer Shantza in the role or an alternate universe Chiaotzu.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:30 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 am Well it was done for gag purposes so I don't think much creative thought was supposed to be put into Fit Boo's design anyway.
It was very important of you to say that, because I agree that its weirdness suits the gag, but I would still hate it when scrolling through images.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm
super michael wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 pm

The scene I am talking about is in the manga, heck Nappa was thinking of having a army of hybrid Saiyan, which Vegeta disagree with Nappa plan since they might surpass them and make trouble. Incase your wondering that is chapter 204.

Thanks to that chapter it is why it makes sense for all hybrid to be very powerful.

You’re right it was from the manga. My mistake. I misremembered it being an anime only scene.

Doesn’t change that it is still a hand wave. Just one coming from Toriyama instead of Toei.

Like WHY would Saiyan blood mixing with earthlings create more powerful hybrids. It doesn’t actually make any logical sense. It’s just a convenient hand wave. Saiyan/Earthling hybrids are way more powerful than Saiyans because…..reasons.
You know your right it never made sense how human + saiyan = stronger than a full blooded saiyan. We see humans are inferior than saiyans countless times, so if humans are inferior how come a hybrid human/saiyan is superior than a full blooded saiyan.

If it was a saiyan/namekian hybrid that would make sense, since both are stronger than humans.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm

I don't think there's anything impossible with the hybrids being stronger, I mean it's evolution, like things were as simple... but I don't know why Vegeta knew that. Maybe saiyans mating with aliens always ends up in stronger hybrids.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:03 pm

]
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm... but I don't know why Vegeta knew that. Maybe saiyans mating with aliens always ends up in stronger hybrids.
He doesn’t know. Vegeta made a hypothesis based on the known facts. Gohan is half Saiyan half earthling so Vegeta just guesses being a hybrid makes more powerful than a normal Saiyan.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:04 pm

Pretty much every character in the tournament of power besides Hit, the Namekians, and the Yard Rat.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm I don't think there's anything impossible with the hybrids being stronger, I mean it's evolution, like things were as simple... but I don't know why Vegeta knew that. Maybe saiyans mating with aliens always ends up in stronger hybrids.
Well he didn't say it as a fact, but merely conjecture. But in Dragon Ball, most tidbits that are actually paid lip service in the plot are intended to be taken as truths.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:50 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:17 pm Gohan was written to have high potential due to his hybrid nature, while Goten and Trunks was born from Super Saiyan parents.
There is nothing special with Universe 6 Saiyans.
I wish there were. The concept of them is neat but the execution is so flawed that it makes it them bland and un-unique. The important ones are all basically carbon copies of Goten and Trunks with Kale having a little Broly thrown in.

And the rest of them ... don't even get me started. Raditz, Nappa, and Bardock look like gods compared to all the other U6 Saiyans we've seen.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:19 pm

The Iron Fjord wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 amAbsolute worst character design throughout the whole series has to be this motherfucker right here:

I was about to mention this guy. Not only he's a weirdo, but his design sucks.

My two cents:

SS4, generally speaking. Super Saiyan 4 IMO is a curious case, because the form can be considered "beautiful" and "ugly" at the same time. The transformation is visually impressive, but I feel like they put too much things in it. Because of that, when I saw Broly and his Ikari form I though about this scene of Iron Man, when Stark just throw away some unnecessary things in Mark I:

SS Teen Gohan. Now, before someone complain about my choice, please hear me out: I think it's a good design (except maybe for the boots), but his hair annoys me. Usually, when someone transforms in Super Saiyan, something like this happen:

Cyan eyes, blond hair and also, the hair goes UP. But SS Gohan looks almost like a recolored base form. I don't know, maybe Toriyama wanted to do that to make SS2 more drastic, who knows.

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:28 pm

I think my all time most disliked design is Caulifla. I’m sure there’s more one could argue are worse on a technical level. But Caulifla’s design always struck me as particularly uninspired. Her face and wild hair I think are perfect. But her outfit just is just so “meh” to me. And altogether I just don’t find it visually interesting.

There’s fan art of her wearing just a leather or varsity jacket over her regular clothes and I honestly that looks great and fits her character.

RashFaustinho

Post by RashFaustinho » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:35 am

I don't like the body shape of any of the Universe 6 Saiyan Warriors, except Kefla's, which has noticeable and good-shaped muscles, especially in SSJ1 and SSJ2.

But when you look at Caulifla, Kale or Cabba, omg, they all look like they're starving.
Their arms are so petite and so tiny in diameter. Their waist is very minuscle.
I don't want buff warriors, but these are supposed to be highly skilled warriors! Why do they look like they came from a very poor country located in Africa?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:19 am

Saiyans are buffy, whether we like it or not. That's one of the differences that sets them apart from humans. They are born to be combatants, therefore it's only logical that they have big muscles.

It's also why Toriyama isn't fit to draw Saiyans anymore, look at that Dragon Ball Minus. Horrible. They're all starving. I really would like to have seen more of Bardock with his old art style, but it's too late now.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 am

It's more generational than anything. When characters who were fighters were drawn in Dragon Ball Z, they all looked like they had the same physique, whether it was a rusty teen Gohan who didn't look the part or a lazy Yamcha who didn't look like he was far from a training Tenshinhan, and yet Kuririn was supposed to be the strongest human with the size of a midget. Toriyama was far more contrasting when he wanted to, from a skinny Boo to a fat one, and from bulky strength to slender power. What he's doing now sits in between, from tight and toned Beerus to flat and chubby Champa, without the aforementioned extremes of Majin Boo.

Broly is large and well proportioned compared to his action figure-ish arms and shoulders of the 90s and he's a Saiyan. I guess that when Dragon Ball Minus was written and drawn, Toriyama wanted to keep it inline with Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, given that he's now returned everything that was Dragon Ball Super to its former glory (may I remind people that Universe 6 Saiyans transformed with tingly backs? Not anymore. Broly transformed for the first time in a manner that was reminiscent to Namek). I don't know whether Toriyama is drawing the concept art of current Dragon Ball or simply writing what he wants it to be for key animators to give their input though.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:27 am

Minus wasn't that bad, actually. We still have some muscular characters like Bardock, and even someone with big muscles (I think his name is Taro). The style is different from Dragon Ball but when I compare some parts of DB with Minus I don't see a massive difference.

While I don't think saiyans NEED to be big mountains of muscle, Kyabe is a different case because he's really skinny. Toriyama probably made his design on purpose but I don't think he told why he did that.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:04 pm Pretty much every character in the tournament of power besides Hit, the Namekians, and the Yard Rat.
So basically the least unique looking characters were the only good ones?

We have seen namekians and yardrats before, designing new ones shouldn't be hard for them to do.

Hit looks alright tho. Not a huge fan of his penis head but he still looks cool

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:47 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:56 pm
Peach wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:04 pm Pretty much every character in the tournament of power besides Hit, the Namekians, and the Yard Rat.
So basically the least unique looking characters were the only good ones?

We have seen namekians and yardrats before, designing new ones shouldn't be hard for them to do.

Hit looks alright tho. Not a huge fan of his penis head but he still looks cool
Meh. What you call unique, i call generic.

I suppose the green bug and Magetta were tolerable designs. And some of the destroyers, too.

Most of the fighter designs were incredibly bland and just sort of all blend together. There's a butterfly lady that gets eliminated almost immediately, a bird man, someone who looks like zoidberg, robots that all look the same, a fat ugly magical girl, furries. The most powerful fighter is a baby faced gray alien who just happens to be muscular. I would say many of the designs look like Hannah Barbara cartoon characters, but that would be complimenting them too much. It looks like a bunch of dollar store straight to dvd designs rolled into one package. Couldn't tell you any of their names. Stylistically, they just don't feel like Dragon Ball characters.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:56 pm

The Iron Fjord wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 am I feel like it's cheating using an example from GT, Super or God forbid, Heroes, but I'm gonna do it any. Absolute worst character design throughout the whole series has to be this motherfucker right here:

Everything about this fucker screams "unappealing", whether it was intentional or not.

>His gaudy 90's cult leader outfit
>His dishwasher gloves
>His ugly monkey face
>His creepy eyeballs
>His mortifying "Karen" hairdo
Oh my god, yep. We have a winner. This post cracked me up, it's seriously an unbelievably unappealing design. The only saving grace is that that is probably what they were going for...but the whole concept of the character is just a disaster.

Side note: I can't believe anyone is saying Zeno. He's up there with Beerus and Whis for me with the best DBS designs. He's such a little terrifying freak.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:38 am

The three female Moro goons' fused form, which is just ... a fat joke and absolutely nothing else? Also Anilaza, I guess?

Idk; DB, Super, and even GT have very few bad major character designs.

EDIT -- Actually maybe Saganbo, for a more prominent character. Very, very dull for such a major role.