Worst character design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Worst character design?

Post by BWri » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:20 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 pm I dislike all of the overly thin U6 Saiyan designs. I'm not saying make them look like roided up late-Frieza saga Goku but that rail-thin aesthetic is oversaturated in anime and i hate how it looks on general principle.

Something like this (credit Tazior1 on twitter):

Is more reasonable.
The girls look fine but Cabba looks off. His manga SSJ look is pretty good. His manga look in general is better than his anime look. The worst part of Cabba is he comes off as a basic design, almost like a "create-a-character". I think it's his stock hair design that he shares with Gohan, Tarble, and Future Warror from the Xenoverse marketing.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:45 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:41 pm To be fair that is two C17 fusing, two characters that looks identical. It isn't surprising that Super 17 doesn't look that different.
It's not surprising, but it's still a bland design.

I think there was room to play around with the concept.

Like, isn't Hell Fighter 17 supposed to be a Machine Mutant? Why not use that as a jumping off point to give him a more inhuman appearance? It would make the resulting Super 17's appearance stand out more after he fuses with the original 17.

And if you wanted to keep HF 17 physically close to the original in appearance, you could at least, say, give him a palette swap based on the color scheme of General Rildo or even Luud (Luud's color scheme in particular would make him look really creepy, especially if you gave him Luud's eye color). Perhaps make this altered color scheme his "true" form while he maintains the original's appearance as a disguise.

Shad73
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shad73 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:15 pm

I'm gonna say Bio-Broly. Lazy, but kaiju.
Seeing the world as neutral is a gift; then you see the most beauty.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 am
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:27 pm I also don't much like many of the character designs for the villians of GT.
What, you're not a fan of giant rectangular chins?

I couldn't take any GT character seriously once I saw someone point that out. There are so many side-characters with Mr Satan's jawline in that show.
No the chins weren't the problem.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:51 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 am
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:27 pm I also don't much like many of the character designs for the villians of GT.
What, you're not a fan of giant rectangular chins?

I couldn't take any GT character seriously once I saw someone point that out. There are so many side-characters with Mr Satan's jawline in that show.
Nakatsuru loves his chins.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:15 am

All I'm saying is that 11-year-old Gohan looked like this:

"Well the U6 saiyans didn't spend a straight year training!"

Well then maybe they shouldn't have been super saiyans.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:15 am "Well the U6 saiyans didn't spend a straight year training!"

Who was the headass that said this trash?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:28 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:15 am All I'm saying is that 11-year-old Gohan looked like this:

"Well the U6 saiyans didn't spend a straight year training!"

Universe 6 Saiyan barely has experience with Super Saiyan 1, yet they managed to gain Super Saiyan 2 just because. They didn’t even master their Super Saiyan 1 form.

Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Gotenks and Future Trunks all got experience as a Super Saiyan 1 along with mastering their form before gaining Super Saiyan 2.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 am

How did Goten and Trunks become Super Saiyans again?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 am How did Goten and Trunks become Super Saiyans again?
Nobody knows, but at least in their case, it can be justified as them inheriting the SSJ traits of Goku and Vegeta.

Caulifla and Kale made SSJ to be a complete joke.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am
I’m pretty sure Super Saiyan became a complete joke when Goten and Trunks casually became Super Saiyans as children.

Or when Goku revealed there is a level beyond the level beyond Super Saiyan and grew Raditz hair.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:39 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:15 am All I'm saying is that 11-year-old Gohan looked like this:
*9/10 year old Gohan. Gohan definitely looked older for his age though. That image makes him look even older than 11.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:02 am

Ozotto

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 am

GT has a lot of awful designs. Mutchy Motchi, Ruudo who looks like a giant robot baby, Súper 17, most of the Shadow Dragons.

Dr Myuu isn't bad per se but it's pretty much space Dr. Gero, which I understand that's what he was but they could've been a little more creative with the design.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:13 am

BWri wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:39 am
*9/10 year old Gohan. Gohan definitely looked older for his age though. That image makes him look even older than 11.
Gohan was 10 during the Cell Games. 11 physically.

The Artificial Human / Cell arc took place 6 years after the beginning of Z.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am
I’m pretty sure Super Saiyan became a complete joke when Goten and Trunks casually became Super Saiyans as children.

Or when Goku revealed there is a level beyond the level beyond Super Saiyan and grew Raditz hair.
Not that those didn't undermine the SSJ perquisite but what Caulifla and Kale doubled on the mockery.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:13 am Gohan was 10 during the Cell Games. 11 physically.
In anime filler. In the Boo arc of the manga it says Gohan was 16 and it’s been 7 years since Cell. Ergo he was 9 in the Cell saga.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:24 am

He is ten. Born in AGE 757, the later part of Cell saga is in AGE 767.

To fix this, Majin Buu saga takes place before Gohan's birthday. He's sixteen, but will turn seventeen later that same year.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:24 am He is ten. Born in AGE 757, the later part of Cell saga is in AGE 767.
Does the actual manga state Gohan was born Age 757 and the Cell Games was age 767?

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:23 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 am How did Goten and Trunks become Super Saiyans again?
Goten and Trunks were born from parents that had Super Saiyan unlocked, unlike Caulifla, Kale, Cabba and Future Trunks.
Goten and Trunks are the first Saiyan born from Super Saiyan parents.

Goten and Trunks had to train hard to unlock Super Saiyan 2 and 3 for their fusion, while Caulifla and Kale gained Super Saiyan 2/Legendary Super Saiyan without training.
Last edited by super michael on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.