Worst character design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Worst character design?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:07 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:05 am [. I think that combined with his sort of immature personality he's just really kind of cute and I want to tease him. 😆
Jiren has a personality?!!?
He's so self-important, putting on this air of being cool and strong but beneath that armor he is still such a brat. There's a precociousness to him because the trauma of losing his master and friends have really rendered him as stunted in the mindset of a teenager. That armor he puts on and is shattered later by the seemingly undefeatable Son Gokuu is such a nice touch and really sets him a part from other Dragon Ball antagonists. There's some real layers to Jiren's character that fandom tends to overlook since it's all implied instead of seen in great detail through flashbacks.

"I can fix him!"
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Ribrianne. WTF is a fat teletubby doing in Dragon Ball?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm Ribrianne. WTF is a fat teletubby doing in Dragon Ball?
Body shaming and making a comparison to a western toddlers' program, hell yeah!
She/Her
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Ribrianne and her two allies that transforms, their transformation state looks worse than their normal form. Then how they are written they are amateurs, they give their location by making a huge announcement, does so many wasted movements and expects everyone to let them transform without getting interrupted. It was good when C17 blast them, but too bad Goku got upset and made Goku let them transform.

You will never see Sailor Moon characters reveal their identity by making a huge announcement so every sees their normal state.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:50 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:48 pm Ribrianne and her two allies that transforms, their transformation state looks worse than their normal form. Then how they are written they are amateurs, they give their location by making a huge announcement, does so many wasted movements and expects everyone to let them transform without getting interrupted.
That was the joke.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:20 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:48 pm You will never see Sailor Moon characters reveal their identity by making a huge announcement so every sees their normal state.
You do realize they are not a parody of one single magical shoujou story, right?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:00 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:48 pm Ribrianne and her two allies that transforms, their transformation state looks worse than their normal form. Then how they are written they are amateurs, they give their location by making a huge announcement, does so many wasted movements and expects everyone to let them transform without getting interrupted. It was good when C17 blast them, but too bad Goku got upset and made Goku let them transform.

You will never see Sailor Moon characters reveal their identity by making a huge announcement so every sees their normal state.
I like Rozie and Kakunsa's transformed forms. They're goofy, but have some charm to them.

I like Ribrianne as a character but I definitely don't like her transformed form.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:13 pm

Do people not like Ribrianne because she’s fat or because her fatness is part of the joke or is something else?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:13 pm Do people not like Ribrianne because she’s fat or because her fatness is part of the joke or is something else?
I dont dislike Ribrianne, but their whole love shtick got old quick. Shit, the U2 GoD had that same animation and same line over and over. So it just became a collective annoyance for me.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:13 pm Do people not like Ribrianne because she’s fat or because her fatness is part of the joke or is something else?
Obesity isn't traditionally attractive, and her design is too plain to offset that aspect. Her personality and the admittedly excessive spotlight she got probably grind some folks' gears and contribute to the overall dislike. Also it doesn't help that the fat shtick was done (arguably better) by Yajirobe beforehand. She does put a unique enough spin on it through the magical girl angle, though.

Also, and this is speaking more broadly, I think a lot of folks' distaste of some characters comes down to the characters really not being as fit as you would expect for a series that has essentially presented itself for the past three decades as "buff, athletic men fighting each other" (some exceptions notwithstanding). Anything that goes against the norm, be it skinny characters like Cabba, fat characters like Ribrianne, or even women more generally, will cause confusion and an instinctive dislike among folks who think the series is trying to disassociate itself from its traditional aesthetics.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Sounds like a whole lot of stupid reasons to dislike Ribrianne.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 pm Sounds like a while lot of stupid reasons to dislike Ribrianne.
I’m going to second this.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 pm Sounds like a while lot of stupid reasons to dislike Ribrianne.
I never had a problem with any fan that dislikes another character, Indeed a Fans 1st Rights as a fan is to like or dislike any character(s) they choose in a franchise.

It is only when fans get they themselves over preachy and repeatedly hammering their dislike for a character, especially if it is repeating the same reasons over and over.

Their can be reasons for disliking a character(s), even stupid ones, but IMO what is more important is how one acts on thoses feels that is most important and how they represent themselves as fans and by what I have read, mainly in other places besides here which is usually good, I would call it disappointing to say the least.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 pm

Obviously I'm not going to drive over to anyone's mom's house to tattle on them for disliking a character but dang, y'all.
She/Her
bisexual milf

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 pm Obviously I'm not going to drive over to anyone's mom's house to tattle on them for disliking a character but dang, y'all.
LOL, that takes me back to the schoolyard! :lol:

But indeed, their is distinct line between just dislike which is ok not to be too Harper upon and hatred which we should strive away from and harnesses it instead into talk and debates instead. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:49 pm

People who like the Ginyu Force, Jaco, Great Saiyanan, Top and/or Fat Buu aren’t allowed to dislike Ribrianne. Because its all the same joke. Thin genre parody for the former three, goofy powers in a rotund former for the latter and…both for Top.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:49 pm People who like the Ginyu Force, Jaco, Great Saiyanan, Top and/or Fat Buu aren’t allowed to dislike Ribrianne. Because its all the same joke. Thin genre parody for the former three, goofy powers in a rotund former for the latter and…both for Top.
I really like (the anime version of) Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs, but the Ginyu Force are designed much better. It's not even close. It's also different genres that are being parodied. Sentai, Superhero, (maybe Tokusatsu), and Magical Girl. So I don't see why you can't like one and dislike the other.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:49 pm People who like the Ginyu Force, Jaco, Great Saiyanan, Top and/or Fat Buu aren’t allowed to dislike Ribrianne. Because its all the same joke. Thin genre parody for the former three, goofy powers in a rotund former for the latter and…both for Top.
I really like (the anime version of) Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs, but the Ginyu Force are designed much better. It's not even close. It's also different genres that are being parodied. Sentai, Superhero, (maybe Tokusatsu), and Magical Girl. So I don't see why you can't like one and dislike the other.
I agree the Ginyu Force are designed way better than Ribrianne but the disdain for her design seems entirely based on her being big? You know, because Yadjirobe, Fat Boo, Baby Janemba, and Android 19 weren’t fat or anything.

The type of magical girl series Ribrianne and the warriors of universe 2 are parodying is the Sentai inspire type like Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure so it is kind of all the same. I guess Ribrianne is more of a parody of magical girls overusing and abusing the word love (and long extended transformations for the anime) and Jaco, Great Saiyaman, and Ginyu Force are more mocking Henshin Hero posing and silly speeches ?

We’re clearly suppose to find Ribrianne dumb and obnoxious so I don’t see a point in being annoyed by her doing what she was created to do.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:31 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 pm I agree the Ginyu Force are designed way better than Ribrianne but the disdain for her design seems entirely based on her being big? You know, because Yadjirobe, Fat Boo, Baby Janemba, and Android 19 weren’t fat or anything.
Really? Do people not get the joke or something? My own disappointment with her appearance is that it's random and a little too simple. I kinda dig that she looks like a Majin, and would appreciate her design more if they went ahead and made that connection explicit otherwise she just randomly looks kinda like Fat Buu.

Giant Ribriane is a fantastic design though. Just the amount of crazy that I like!
We’re clearly suppose to find Ribrianne dumb and obnoxious so I don’t see a point in being annoyed by her doing what she was created to do.
Good point. In the anime, I think Ribrianne's a fun character. She's a great foil to many other characters in the tournament.

You ever hear the term "go away heat"? It's a wrestling term meant for bad guy characters aka heels. "Heat" is basically an investment you build in a character, for heels/villains it's typically hatred. That's good heat. Go away heat though, is a type of heat where people are just bored, annoyed, or divested from a heel and would just prefer they not be on the television screen or in the ring if its live in the arena.

For a lot of people, Ribrianne provides nothing but go away heat, which is a shame because it almost feels like the anime writers wanted to do a lot more with her character. She got a lot of screen time and fights and seemed to be developing something with Jiren. But, it makes sense why people feel this way. There's no reason to get invested in the character, especially in the manga where Ribrianne is also fairly insufferable. I only grew interested in Ribrianne and her team thanks to the anime giving them interesting personalities, quirks, abilities, and motivations. I also thought they looked kind of interesting and I bought into the premise. But for others there wasn't enough to invest in. Her power wasn't depicted as being top tier or even close to it, which is important to establish popularity for new fighters and her part in the story was insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Also, people who personally hate characters like they're real are an interesting bunch. I've never been able to fully invest like that lol. Even with Griffith from Berserk, I just find him to be an interesting character. A detestable bastard to be sure, but I cannot summon real life hate for a fictional character ... well, unless they are so badly written that I'm taken out of the story completely and forced to think about how badly written they are. I felt some major go away heat for Caulifla and Kale for a while.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:06 am

Well, you pretty much summed up my own sentiments.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san