Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 75 - DBZ 170-174

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 75 - DBZ 170-174

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm

Hello, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, and welcome to week 75 of the first Dragon Ball rewatch of the decade.
We're doing five episodes a week, and we'll be watching every single episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. All 508 episodes. Plus the TV specials and the movies.
I encourage you all to watch in Japanese with subtitles, especially if you have never done so before, but watch along in whichever way brings you the most joy.

I said I'd post it on Wednesday, and by god I'll--
Ahh shit, it's an hour and a half late. Oh well. It's the thought that counts. :P

The Trunks special is next week! :D

Previous thread: Week 74 (DBZ 169, movie 8)
Next thread: Week 76 (DBZ 175, TVS2, 176-177)

Anyway, without further ado...

Episode 323 - The Fighter’s Relax… The Girl, The Lie, and Gohan’s Decision (DBZ episode 170)
Dub title: A Girl Named Lime
Originally aired 13th of January 1993

Kai equivalent: None
Written by: Katsuyuki Sumisawa
Episode director: Hiroki Shibata
Animation supervisor: Masahiro Shimanuki

After going out to shop in Chazuke Village Gohan meets the girl Lime, whose parents were killed by Cell, and the elderly Lao, who opposes Bourbon, the man who runs the village. Taking money from the villagers to construct a shelter dome from Cell, Bourbon plots to charge a high entry fee to refugees from the big city! The dome is soon finished, and as Lao battles with Bourbon’s henchmen, Bourbon’s bodyguard Tao Pai-pai appears. However, Tao Pai-pai abandons his job when he learns that Gohan is Goku’s child. Gohan destroys the dome, since it can’t defend against Cell.

Anime-only/filler content: The entire episode.

Episode 324 - The Hidden Strength!! When Gohan Was a Baby (DBZ episode 171)
Dub title: Memories of Gohan
Originally aired 20th of January 1993

Kai equivalent: None
Written by: Aya Matsui
Episode director: Yoshihiro Ueda
Animation supervisor: Yukio Ebisawa

Chi-Chi proposes that they hold a birthday party for Gohan, who became 11 years old while in the Room of Spirit and Time. After coincidentally finding an album, Chi-Chi recalls when they named Gohan. Goku sees a hole in a large tree, and remembers the time that Gohan’s baby carriage slipped down the hill. The young Gohan fired an amazing ki, and pierced the tree! That night, with Gyūmaō and Kuririn there, they celebrate Gohan’s birthday.

Anime-only/filler content: All filler.

Episode 325 - Find a New God!! Goku, the Great Instant Movement (DBZ episode 172)
Dub title: A New Guardian
Originally aired 27th of January 1993

Kai equivalent: Episode 85 - An Interrupted Rest! The Self-Defense Army’s General Offensive Against Cell and Episode 86 - A New God! The Dragon Balls are Finally Revived
Written by: Sumio Uetake
Episode director: Mitsuo Hashimoto
Animation supervisor: Masayuki Uchiyama

Vegeta switches out with the powered-up Piccolo and enters the Room of Spirit and Time. Meanwhile, as Goku and his family have a picnic with Kuririn at the lake, on their way back they learn on the news that the royal defense army has been dispatched. But the general offensive from their battle planes and tanks doesn’t even scratch Cell, who instead exterminates the army surrounding his tournament grounds!! After learning of this, Goku thinks of reviving the Dragon Balls in order to restore everyone back to life. He then heads to get a new God, and begins searching for New Planet Namek…

Anime-only/filler content: Piccolo leaving the Room Of Spirit And Time, Vegeta entering, the king declaring his intentions to attack Cell, Kuririn's presence at the picnic with Goku, Gohan, and Chichi, Goku taking the family for a drive.

Episode 326 - Dende’s New Occupation!! The Dragon Balls are Revived (DBZ episode 173)
Dub title: Dende's Dragon
Originally aired 3rd of February 1993

Kai equivalent: Episode 86 - A New God! The Dragon Balls are Finally Revived
Written by: Hiroshi Toda
Episode director: Masahiro Hosoda
Animation supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

With the help of Kaiō, Goku gets ahold of the Namekians’ ki, and teleports to New Planet Namek. Explaining things to the Eldest, he takes Dende and returns to Earth. On Earth, the world martial arts champion Mister Satan announces that he will enter the tournament. But indifferent to this commotion, in the Heavenly Realm Dende reunites with Gohan and Kuririn. Dende then uses the dragon model that Mister Popo made, and revives the Dragon Balls, which had been turned to stone in their respective locations.

Anime-only/filler content: Chichi shouting at Goku for leaving her at Kame House, Goku finding a Dragon Ball in a sandstorm.

Episode 327 - Goku’s Perplexing Problem?! The Dragon Balls are Taken Back (DBZ episode 174)
Dub title: The Puzzle of General Tao
Originally aired 10th of February 1993

Kai equivalent: Episode 86 - A New God! The Dragon Balls are Finally Revived
Written by: Hiroshi Toda
Episode director: Daisuke Nishio
Animation supervisor: Keisuke Masunaga

After borrowing the Dragon Radar from Bulma, Goku discovers the Dragon Balls one after the other. Meanwhile in an arena somewhere, Mister Satan promotes his own strength, while in the Heavenly Realm Vegeta finishes his training in the Room of Spirit and Time. Also, Tao Pai-pai gives the two Dragon Balls he has collected to some gangster members, but panics when Goku reaches their secret base! Ultimately the Dragon Balls are given to Goku, who searches for the remaining ones and at least obtains all seven.

Anime-only/filler content: The entire episode.

-

Interesting trivia:
  • At this point in time in the manga, Cell takes the senzu, 16 realises his bomb is gone and gets blown up by Cell, the Cell Juniors fight the gang, Cell kills 16, Gohan snaps and goes Super Saiyan 2, kills all the Cell Juniors, and begins fighting Cell.
  • Funimation's dub of these DBZ episodes continues their long-standing dub error of referring to Tao Pai-Pai as "General Tao", as in DB movie 3, rather than "Mercenary Tao", as in their dub of the DB series.
  • Tao Pai-Pai returns for the first time since the 23rd Tenkaichi. He hangs around for this stretch of filler and then is never seen again. Akira Toriyama later said in an interview that he and the Crane Hermit probably died in some kind of unfortunate business that they got themselves into. I wouldn't take this as gospel, though. Maybe one day, Tao will return again! (Probably not, but with the amount of barrel-scraping Super's doing, you never know)
    • In a way, Tao has returned, in a sidequest in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot in which Tao scams some people into a protection racket, which Gohan handily dismantles.
  • In the Westwood Media dub, Scott McNeil voiced Tao Pai-Pai with a Russian accent. There's nothing particularly deep here, I just find this amusing. (And yes, his performance is far funnier and better-delivered than the Funimation equivalent)
    • On a personal note, I'm pretty sure I have one or two of these episodes on a tape somewhere. I remember really enjoying this as a kid. Problem was, for some reason the next one to air after this was a random episode from the Boo arc tournament, so neither storyline had any conclusion. That always frustrated me as a kid.
  • Chichi decides to celebrate Gohan's birthday in Z episode 171 to compensate for the missed birthday while he was in the Room Of Spirit And Time; the Funimation dub removes this dialogue totally, and instead has this day just so happen to be Gohan's birthday.
  • While Kyle Hebert redubbed most of Gyuumao's dialogue in the Remastered dub of Funimation's DBZ, episode 171 retains Mark Britten's dialogue from the original dub.
  • Ginyu makes a return appearance in DBZ episode 171. He will appear for the final time in the original anime in Z episode 209. He would of course return again in Resurrection F/Super, but that's a different timeline, so we can ignore that nonsense.
  • Kai episode 85 has 6 redrawn shots; episode 86 has 9 redrawn shots.
  • Starting with Z episode 172, Funimation's DVD releases replaced Dale Kelly's narration with Kyle Hebert. The VHS release retained Kelly for a few more volumes.
  • In Funimation's dub of Z episode 173, as is standard in their uncut dubs, Mr. Satan was introduced as "Hercule Satan." Hercule was a name entirely invented by Funimation to replace Mr. Satan in the TV dubs. For some reason, they retained it in the uncut dub as his first name. The manga would end up using the Hercule name too, as would many video games.
  • In the Japanese version of Z episode 173, Kaio disappears and reappears throughout the frame as a stylistic choice while he remarks that he recognises the Instantaneous Movement technique. Funimation decided to re-script this to suggest he himself was using the technique here, and introduced a plot hole by having him say he could have taught the move to Goku. (If he could have, then why didn't he fucking do that in the Saiyan arc?)
  • In the Funimation dub of Kai episode 86, Goku says the lookout has internet; very bad internet. "It must make Mr. Popo feel lonely." And people still think the Funi Kai dub is accurate. :P
Episode summaries, airdates, and titles courtesy of Kanzenshuu's episode guide. Dragon Ball logo provided by KBABZ.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 75 - DBZ 170-174 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm n the Funimation dub of Kai episode 86, Goku says the lookout has internet; very bad internet. "It must make Mr. Popo feel lonely." And people still think the Funi Kai dub is accurate.
Because a few deviations prove it isn't accurate. I did a rewatch a few years ago with the dub dialog and JPN subtitles on. There's a few lines that strayed, like you mentioned but it's remarkably close.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm n the Funimation dub of Kai episode 86, Goku says the lookout has internet; very bad internet. "It must make Mr. Popo feel lonely." And people still think the Funi Kai dub is accurate.
Because a few deviations prove it isn't accurate. I did a rewatch a few years ago with the dub dialog and JPN subtitles on. There's a few lines that strayed, like you mentioned but it's remarkably close.
Plus it was that scene when he was rambling to King Kai while he was trying to find New Namek. Wouldn't surprise me if it was an outtake and it was funny enough that they left it in ie "AHH I FORGOT MY TRAILER"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am

I liked the Gohan and the village girl episode. It had a very early Dragon Ball feel to it. I could see it being an episode during Goku’s training for the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament

So I guess Gohan is suppose to be 10 in the anime and. Chi Chi’s logic is since be spent a year in the room of spirit and time he would have turned 11? And Funimation doesn’t mention this so he’s just 11?

Never mind that the original dub introduced him as 5 1/2 and the Texas redub made him 4 1/2 to adjust foe the 5 years between Dragon Ball and Z being accounted for in the UUE version but either way he reached the same age.

Can we just talk about the completely nonsensical scene of Goku of all people not being able to catch a damn runaway baby stroller….like what?

The end of episode 174 mentions May 17th…..which makes absolutely no sense.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm
[*]In the Westwood Media dub, Scott McNeil voiced Tao Pai-Pai with a Russian accent. There's nothing particularly deep here, I just find this amusing. (And yes, his performance is far funnier and better-delivered than the Funimation equivalent)
Ironically one of the few RR associates Funimation DIDN’T give an accent to :P we had Russian General White “Japanese” Murasaki. German (?) Dr. Frappe. Australian Captain Yellow and Irish (?) Commander Red

[*]While Kyle Hebert redubbed most of Gyuumao's dialogue in the Remastered dub of Funimation's DBZ, episode 171 retains Mark Britten's dialogue from the original dub.
If I’m not mistaken Funimation stopped all redubbing by this point so it’s Mark Britten for all of the Cell Games as Ox King and Korin. Kind reinforces how pointless and half assed the redubbing effort ultimately was.

[*]In the Japanese version of Z episode 173, Kaio disappears and reappears throughout the frame as a stylistic choice while he remarks that he recognises the Instantaneous Movement technique. Funimation decided to re-script this to suggest he himself was using the technique here, and introduced a plot hole by having him say he could have taught the move to Goku. (If he could have, then why didn't he fucking do that in the Saiyan arc?)
Especially when Kaio was freaking out that Goku didn’t have enough time to return to the check-in station on time

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:24 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am I liked the Gohan and the village girl episode. It had a very early Dragon Ball feel to it. I could see it being an episode during Goku’s training for the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament

So I guess Gohan is suppose to be 10 in the anime and. Chi Chi’s logic is since be spent a year in the room of spirit and time he would have turned 11? And Funimation doesn’t mention this so he’s just 11?

Never mind that the original dub introduced him as 5 1/2 and the Texas redub made him 4 1/2 to adjust foe the 5 years between Dragon Ball and Z being accounted for in the UUE version but either way he reached the same age.

Can we just talk about the completely nonsensical scene of Goku of all people not being able to catch a damn runaway baby stroller….like what?

The end of episode 174 mentions May 17th…..which makes absolutely no sense.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm
[*]In the Westwood Media dub, Scott McNeil voiced Tao Pai-Pai with a Russian accent. There's nothing particularly deep here, I just find this amusing. (And yes, his performance is far funnier and better-delivered than the Funimation equivalent)
Ironically one of the few RR associates Funimation DIDN’T give an accent to :P we had Russian General White “Japanese” Murasaki. German (?) Dr. Frappe. Australian Captain Yellow and Irish (?) Commander Red

[*]While Kyle Hebert redubbed most of Gyuumao's dialogue in the Remastered dub of Funimation's DBZ, episode 171 retains Mark Britten's dialogue from the original dub.
If I’m not mistaken Funimation stopped all redubbing by this point so it’s Mark Britten for all of the Cell Games as Ox King and Korin. Kind reinforces how pointless and half assed the redubbing effort ultimately was.

[*]In the Japanese version of Z episode 173, Kaio disappears and reappears throughout the frame as a stylistic choice while he remarks that he recognises the Instantaneous Movement technique. Funimation decided to re-script this to suggest he himself was using the technique here, and introduced a plot hole by having him say he could have taught the move to Goku. (If he could have, then why didn't he fucking do that in the Saiyan arc?)
Especially when Kaio was freaking out that Goku didn’t have enough time to return to the check-in station on time
No, Ox King is still redubbed during all the Cell Games, they just screwed up with that particular episode.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:16 am

Funimation's dub of these DBZ episodes continues their long-standing dub error of referring to Tao Pai-Pai as "General Tao", as in DB movie 3, rather than "Mercenary Tao", as in their dub of the DB series.
Yet again, this is an error/inconsistency of FUNi having not yet gotten to the rest of Dragon Ball yet at the time so it was another year or so before that was fixed. Of course, they didn't go back and fix Tao's wrong name in Z even after DB's dub was completed so this persists even when it really shouldn't have.

Just like with the "Dr. Gero is the mastermind of the Red Ribbon Army" thing, it was the result of them skipping over the majority of the original series until later so plot holes and inconsistencies were bound to happen.

While Kyle Hebert redubbed most of Gyuumao's dialogue in the Remastered dub of Funimation's DBZ, episode 171 retains Mark Britten's dialogue from the original dub.
I've said before and will say again that the partial redub for the Orange Bricks was a crap half measure that they did only to a certain point, and i do get what they were trying to do but that said even as bad as the old dub is they could've just left it because ultimately the redub was more or less meaningless in the long run especially since Kai came out.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 am

No one pointed out that I buggered up the "At this point in time in the manga" trivia entry. :P
I'll have to fix that at some point later. Oops!
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 pm
Plus it was that scene when he was rambling to King Kai while he was trying to find New Namek. Wouldn't surprise me if it was an outtake and it was funny enough that they left it in ie "AHH I FORGOT MY TRAILER"
It's just one example. Funi dropped these kinds of jokes in every couple of episodes early on in Kai, but by the time they were dubbing TFC it was at least once an episode, then soon in Super it was several times per episode.

The early run of Kai, it's clear the attitude was "We're doing a proper translation of the Japanese show this time." but even by the end of Kai 1.0, they'd slipped into "let's throw in some jokes we think are funny that weren't in the original, just for the sake of it." which, by the time they got to Super, had basically slid all the way back to their old way of adding jokes back in 1999-2004, just based on accurate translations this time.

Personally, I don't think it's Funi's job to insert whatever jokes they feel like adding at every given moment. One or two additions/changes in a season is okay, but when it becomes the rule rather than the exception that they just add whatever jokes they think of in the booth, they aren't exactly respecting the original show in producing their translation/adaptation.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am I liked the Gohan and the village girl episode. It had a very early Dragon Ball feel to it. I could see it being an episode during Goku’s training for the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament
It does have that feeling, yeah. It's nice. We haven't had a filler like this in a very long time.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am So I guess Gohan is suppose to be 10 in the anime and. Chi Chi’s logic is since be spent a year in the room of spirit and time he would have turned 11? And Funimation doesn’t mention this so he’s just 11?
In the anime, he is 9 years old when he fights Cell (and then 7 years pass and he's 16 at the start of the Boo arc). I believe Funimation aged him up to 12 or 13.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am Can we just talk about the completely nonsensical scene of Goku of all people not being able to catch a damn runaway baby stroller….like what?
I completely forgot about that. That really doesn't make sense.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am The end of episode 174 mentions May 17th…..which makes absolutely no sense.
In the manga, the Cell Games were stated to take place on "M 17".
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 am
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 pm [*]In the Westwood Media dub, Scott McNeil voiced Tao Pai-Pai with a Russian accent. There's nothing particularly deep here, I just find this amusing. (And yes, his performance is far funnier and better-delivered than the Funimation equivalent)
Yeah.

Meanwhile, in the Blue Water dub, all of them had the normal Canadian/American accents that those actors generally use in TV productions.
It's after the Cell Games that most of the redubbing stops. IIRC Vegeta is the most noticeable case.
The the Remastered dub does continue to be a shitshow after they stopped doing the awful redubs, thanks to Funi's remixing engineers consistently forgetting to apply voice filters to characters like Yakon and Boo.

I think there's still missing lines in this period of the Remastered dub too. Though I suppose we'll get to that.
Yep.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:06 am

Even now that part in the flashback confuses me, because Goku can fly through the air and jump through trees with ease yet can't catch the moving stroller with little Gohan in it??? That makes no damn sense at all!!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 am
In the manga, the Cell Games were stated to take place on "M 17".
That’s what the anime does too. I assumed the M was for May? Maybe I overthought it. Especially since they used normal dates before like May 9th and May 12th.
It's after the Cell Games that most of the redubbing stops. IIRC Vegeta is the most noticeable case.
The the Remastered dub does continue to be a shitshow after they stopped doing the awful redubs, thanks to Funi's remixing engineers consistently forgetting to apply voice filters to characters like Yakon and Boo.
Super Boo especially stood out because without the filter it’s Justin Cook literally doing his Raditz voice and it was distracting as hell.
I think there's still missing lines in this period of the Remastered dub too. Though I suppose we'll get to that.
The wikia claims the Otherworld tournament announcer gets a redub but honestly I checked both versions and it sounds like the exact same guy to me.

But yeah I think the Buu saga is more or less the exact same as the original dub excluding some conspicuous missing voice filters and probably the odd missing line or line that was removed before the finalized version but now back in the remastered version.
In the anime, he is 9 years old when he fights Cell (and then 7 years pass and he's 16 at the start of the Boo arc). I believe Funimation aged him up to 12 or 13.
Chi Chi says Gohan’s 11 in his birthday episode. But the way she says it makes it sound like she’s just counting the year he spent in the Room of Spirit and Time.

Funimation had him as 11. Either way his birthday cake had 11 candles. Both versions end up looking awkward when he’s 16 at the start of Boo making him retroactively 9 during the Cell Games.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:22 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 am
Chi Chi says Gohan’s 11 in his birthday episode. But the way she says it makes it sound like she’s just counting the year he spent in the Room of Spirit and Time.

Funimation had him as 11. Either way his birthday cake had 11 candles. Both versions end up looking awkward when he’s 16 at the start of Boo making him retroactively 9 during the Cell Games.
Hm. I was wrong.

This post says:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:23rd Tenkaichi Budokai held May 7th, Age 756
Gohan is conceived late July/early August, Age 756
Gohan is born very early May, Age 757
Gohan turns 1 in early May, Age 758
Gohan turns 2 in early May, Age 759
Gohan turns 3 in early May, Age 760
Gohan turns 4 in early May, Age 761
Raditz invades Earth on November 28th, 761
Gohan turns 5 in early May, Age 762
Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth on November 3, 762 Age
Everyone lands on Namek on December 18th, 762 Age
Almost everyone lives through Namek's destruction on December 24th, 762 Age
Gohan turns 6 in early May, Age 763
Kuririn and Yamcha are revived on May 3rd, Age 763
Tenshinhan and Chaozu are revived on September 10th, Age 763
Gohan turns 7 in early May, Age 764
Goku returns to Earth in August, Age 764
Gohan turns 8 in early May, Age 765
Gohan turns 9 in early May, Age 766
Gohan turns 10 in early May, Age 767
The 24th Tenkaichi Budoukai is held on May 7th, Age 767
The Jinzoningen appear on May 12th, Age 767
Goku and Gohan enter the RoSaT for less than 24 hours (a year inside) on May 16th, Age 767
Gohan exists the RoSaT still at age 10 on May 17th, Age 767, but is closer to age 11 physically
The Cell Games are held on May 26th, Age 767

Gohan turns 11 in early May, Age 768, but is closer to age 12 physically
Gohan turns 12 in early May, Age 769, but is closer to age 13 physically
Gohan turns 13 in early May, Age 770, but is closer to age 14 physically
Gohan turns 14 in early May, Age 771, but is closer to age 15 physically
Gohan turns 15 in early May, Age 772, but is closer to age 16 physically
Gohan turns 16 in early May, Age 773, but is closer to age 17 physically
Gohan enters Orange Star High and has wacky adventures with Videl as Saiyaman during April, Age 774
Gohan turns 17 in early May, Age 774, but is closer to age 18 physically

The 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai is held on May 7th, Age 774
Buu is released and builds a house on May 7th, Age 774
Satan befriends Buu and Gotenks ego is born May 8th, Age 774
Vegetto decides killing Buu is too boring and defuses of his own free will, Buu blows shit up and then dies due to an infection of Vegetto's invincible ki on May 9th, Age 774

*** I would like to note that this age progression list still works with the Daizenshuu's October 12th date for Raditz' arrival, for those who want to deal with the books printed facts (wrong as they may be). But, as Herms has said, that date is impossible according to the manga's narration of Nappa and Vegeta arriving before a year has passed, so I used his fixed date from the "Stronger Loving Timeline".
So he turned 10 before the Cell Games, but is technically 11 at that point due to his time in the Room Of Spirit And Time. Then the 7-year skip is slightly less than 7 years, making him 16 when he attends Orange Star High, but he turns 17 soon after.

Though, probably the external reality behind this is that Toriyama forgot Gohan's exact age and figured he was 9 when he fought Cell, then did a 7-year skip and made him 16. Meanwhile, the anime staff had calculated he'd be 10, technically 11, and wrote that into an episode. And then Funimation just called him 11 because that's what the filler said.

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 amI liked the Gohan and the village girl episode. It had a very early Dragon Ball feel to it. I could see it being an episode during Goku’s training for the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament
I agree, love this episode. It's like Gohan gets his very own classic Dragon Ball filler episode, complete with the usual village being taken advantage of, elderly martial artist, and cute girl who likes the hero after being rescued (although in this case she takes a few moments to warm up to him.

I also love when Tao Pai Pai realizes Gohan is related to Son Goku, and is all "Nope, I'm out" and just zips out of there! Funniest part of the episode for sure.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 75 - DBZ 170-174

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:21 pm

It took me until I'd posted the new thread, but I finally wrote the "At this point in time in the manga" entry for this one.

Better late than never, I guess. :lol: