What was the saying for how long DBZ and other anime went?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

What was the saying for how long DBZ and other anime went?

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:59 am

TFSGaming was talking about this at one point, if I recall—whay all the Shonen juggernauts were like in terms of pacing. If I recall, it was something like...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naruto: "It's a cat that keep getting side-tracked by string or something" (referencing all the filler arcs)

Bleach: "It's a cheetah that keeps running in circles" (moves relatively fast, but keeps repeating itself)

One Piece: "It's a snail on the Golden Gate bridge. It always has a set destination...it just takes forever to get there"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I remembering all this right?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What was the saying for how long DBZ and other anime went?

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:48 am

What metaphor was used for Dragon Ball?
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:06 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:48 am What metaphor was used for Dragon Ball?
I don't know, but I recall an old joke:

How many DBZ characters does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:18 pm

DBZ is like a turtle in terms of pacing. Slow and steady wins the race. 8)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:06 pmHow many DBZ characters does it take to change a lightbulb?