StreamlinePictures had Dragon Ball at one point!?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

StreamlinePictures had Dragon Ball at one point!?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 am

WOW! This is the first I have heard of this. People always say Viz or even 4kids could have done a better job with Dragon Ball. Who better than Mr Fred Patten to handle it all?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: StreamlinePictures had Dragon Ball at one point!?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 am WOW! This is the first I have heard of this. People always say Viz or even 4kids could have done a better job with Dragon Ball. Who better than Mr Fred Patten to handle it all?
Source?

Also I don’t know a single person who ever said 4Kids could have done better. They’re always people’s go to for “It could have been worse” (Never mind 4kids was never going to get the license)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:11 am

I honestly did see that argument be made once. Remember that Pokemon actually kept the Japanese music to some extent in their early days.

EDIT: My source is TV Tropes. They said the company had the anime in 1991.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:18 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:11 ams.

EDIT: My source is TV Tropes. They said the company had the anime in 1991.

TvTropes is garbage that’s more inaccurate than any given fan wikia. That’s not a source. For fuck sake they got Turtle confused with Baby Gamera at least at one point.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 am

There's been rumours of a VHS release of the Harmony Gold dub combining movies 1 and 3 from Streamline Pictures. Hopefully it turns up one day, if true. You never know because there was that release of the pilot Funimation dub that called Goku Zero not too long ago.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 am There's been rumours of a VHS release of the Harmony Gold dub combining movies 1 and 3 from Streamline Pictures. Hopefully it turns up one day, if true. You never know because there was that release of the pilot Funimation dub that called Goku Zero not too long ago.
That’s more than likely where the tv tropes person got the confusion from.

I’m sure Funimation had the master tapes somewhere in a vault. We can pretty much guarantee that Toei sent them Harmony Gold’s scripts

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Supposedly, US Renditions try to get the rights to DB before Funimation did. Who knows on how they would release the series back in the day. We would probably have Steve Blum as Vegeta and Tom Fahn as Goku.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:54 pm Supposedly, US Renditions try to get the rights to DB before Funimation did. Who knows on how they would release the series back in the day. We would probably have Steve Blum as Vegeta and Tom Fahn as Goku.
I think that one was actually true though

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/press-archiv ... unimation/

Interestingly, Steve Blum did voice Goku in that GT Final Bout Game.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:40 pm

Streamline never had this show. Fake news!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 am Also I don’t know a single person who ever said 4Kids could have done better. They’re always people’s go to for “It could have been worse” (Never mind 4kids was never going to get the license)
Chris Psaros wrote:Last but not least, we have Pokémon, another show that I must admit to really liking. And what can I say about the conversion? Well, plain and simple, this is by far the most faithful-to-the-original broadcast anime I have ever seen. These people (4Kids Productions) take some risks! Why couldn't they have gotten the rights to Dragon Ball? About the only "censoring" they've done so far is to darken the screen slightly when there are any especially bright or strobing effects. (Long story behind that, but I'm sure you're all well aware of the "Pokémon incident.") I've seen this show deal with death, religious overtones, lechery, violence, and all that other good stuff with complete confidence.
This was a pretty common opinion back in the day, Pokemon was handled a LOT better than Dragonball.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 pm

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm

This was a pretty common opinion back in the day, Pokemon was handled a LOT better than Dragonball.
Pokemon had far far less objectionable content. It was a lot more appropriate for American kiddies than Dragon Ball. 4kids also censored Japanese characters left and right. Something Funimation mostly left alone even in their edited dub. They had a character of the day in traditional Japanese clothing with Japanese music and cherry blossoms and they legit named her Jeanette Fisher.

The early Pokemon dub (the one everyone praises) really is no better than Funi’s 2001 dub of Dragon Ball.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 pm
Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm

Pokemon had far far less objectionable content. It was a lot more appropriate for American kiddies than Dragon Ball. 4kids also censored Japanese characters left and right. Something Funimation mostly left alone even in their edited dub. They had a character of the day in traditional Japanese clothing with Japanese music and cherry blossoms and they legit named her Jeanette Fisher.

The early Pokemon dub (the one everyone praises) really is no better than Funi’s 2001 dub of Dragon Ball.
I mean, the thing the early Pokemon dub seasons had which still makes them so beloved by longtime fans (myself included) is the childhood nostalgia of that massive "Pokemania" blitz which accompanied them in the late '90s/early 2000's as the anime was the big hot thing every kid and their dog watched which in turn sold the cards, video games and everything else in a tidal wave for like three or so years. Of course 4Kids had their localization practice of hiding the fact that it was a show imported from Japan by digitally painting over signs with Japanese text and the infamous rice ball/doughnut/whatever thing and other stuff, i do agree it shows it's age these days but still it's regarded as one of the overall better dubs that they did.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:24 pm

4Kids did a reasonably good job with the early days of the Pokemon dub, it's true. I also have to give it props for the first eight seasons being a union dub (it went non-union for many years when 4Kids was out of the picture, only to recently go back to being union now that it's on Netflix). The scripts were pretty faithfully adapted, they only created new music during moments where there was no music originally...it was probably their best dub.

To say their dubs went downhill after that is an understatement, though. If anything, FUNimation and 4Kids are a perfect comparison in terms of responding to audience criticism. FUNimation's early in-house efforts with DBZ were, as is well-established by now, pretty bad. With time, however, their scripts became more faithful, they started using the original music, the acting improved, and the casting improved. 4Kids literally did the exact opposite...they got worse with time.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:24 pm 4Kids did a reasonably good job with the early days of the Pokemon dub, it's true. I also have to give it props for the first eight seasons being a union dub (it went non-union for many years when 4Kids was out of the picture, only to recently go back to being union now that it's on Netflix). The scripts were pretty faithfully adapted, they only created new music during moments where there was no music originally...it was probably their best dub.

To say their dubs went downhill after that is an understatement, though. If anything, FUNimation and 4Kids are a perfect comparison in terms of responding to audience criticism. FUNimation's early in-house efforts with DBZ were, as is well-established by now, pretty bad. With time, however, their scripts became more faithful, they started using the original music, the acting improved, and the casting improved. 4Kids literally did the exact opposite...they got worse with time.
Oh undeniably, the early seasons of Pokemon and some of their other earlier dub work like Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters (digital edits and Japanese cultural cover ups aside) were really good for the time. Later on however they really took a nosedive in quality thus later dubs and in particular One Piece were utter travesties that made them get brutally crapped on by a lot of anime fans.

Funny how they went in different directions, FUNi started out bad with their dub work but gradually improved over time while 4Kids started good but after a period of a few years plummeted majorly.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm

Was their Yu-gi-oh dub actually considered good? From what I recall they had a top to bottom replacement score, censored any reference or threat of death (sometimes to extreme measure that made no sense) and just generally rewrote dialog and censored any and all guns (even though they were never fired)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm Was their Yu-gi-oh dub actually considered good? From what I recall they had a top to bottom replacement score, censored any reference or threat of death (sometimes to extreme measure that made no sense) and just generally rewrote dialog and censored any and all guns (even though they were never fired)
I thought it was overall considered good or at least decent, from what i can see it's not universally derided on the level of their much later dubs especially One Piece.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:19 pm

It was entertaining at least. One Piece didnt even have that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:19 pm It was entertaining at least. One Piece didnt even have that.
I dunno, they tried to reduce the over inflated episode count. That’s commendable.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm Was their Yu-gi-oh dub actually considered good? From what I recall they had a top to bottom replacement score, censored any reference or threat of death (sometimes to extreme measure that made no sense) and just generally rewrote dialog and censored any and all guns (even though they were never fired)
I've never seen Yu-Gi-Oh subbed, but as far as I know there were plenty of liberties taken in the dub, the replacement score is fitting, if a bit more commercial but the voices are generally considered to be very good. Eric Stuart as Kaiba I'd say is perfect casting on the level of Chris Ayres as Freeza. I agree with Cure Dragon though, it's really entertaining to watch.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Much like certain other wildly inaccurate dubs, it's mostly "considered good" by people that were introduced to the franchise through it and thus have difficulty associating the franchise with the tone it was actually supposed to have before the dubbers rewrote the hell out of it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!