StreamlinePictures had Dragon Ball at one point!?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: StreamlinePictures had Dragon Ball at one point!?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:09 am

theoriginalbilis wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:01 pm Slightly off-topic, but...

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, I was of the opinion that either Pioneer or Viz would've snatched up the rights to dub DBZ and release the rest if FUNi were to ever cease dubbing or lose the rights after ep. 52 of their syndicated dub. And the cherry on the top would've been keeping it not only uncut, but with a consistent voice cast. Both studios frequently hired The Ocean Group for their dubs and the Pioneer releases of DBZ Movies 1-3 were very high-quality.
Ideally that’s what should have happened. (Next to Funimation never getting the license in the first place). Funimation loses the license somehow and since Pioneer was already handling the home video distribution and oversaw the first 3 movies they take over the license to get the rest of the series dubbed uncut for home video with Ocean Group and dub the first series and GT as well and then go back to redub the first 67 episodes uncut.

I know those “Is it time for a redub?” threads are popular but the time to fix the dub was 1999

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 am

I wonder how the anime dubbing industry would have been if Viz or Pioneer got the license to Dragon Ball. Canadian dubs are very rare nowadays and almost all anime dubs go to Funimation, but Dragon Ball made Funimation their millions. Surely if they never picked it up (unlikely because nepotism) or if Viz or Pioneer somehow managed to sweep the licence from under Funimation's feet we'd see a lot more anime use the Ocean Group. While I think Funimation are much better nowadays I'd rather have Ocean dub most of the anime they've gotten the license to.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:06 pm

A thought, though: even if Pioneer got the license to the show, it doesn't necessarily mean they would have released it bilingual and uncut. Gen Fukunaga mentioned that it was apparently quite the hassle to get Toei to agree to an uncut, bilingual home video release of the TV series back when they first started putting the DVDs out. Apparently Toei was concerned about reverse importing (which is to say, Japanese fans buying the North American DVDs since they would be both readily available and far, far cheaper than what the average anime home video release in Japan was). Part of the reason Pioneer was able to release the movies uncut and bilingual is because Japan already had home video releases of the movies, and so Toei wasn't particularly worried about reverse importing in that case.

Heck, unless I'm mistaken, I believe FUNimation's DVD singles were technically the first ever (legal) home video release of the original Japanese version...anywhere!

With all that out of the way, even if Pioneer's hypothetical dub wasn't uncut, it likely would have had more faithfully-adapted scripts and kept the original music at least.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:19 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:06 pm A thought, though: even if Pioneer got the license to the show, it doesn't necessarily mean they would have released it bilingual and uncut. Gen Fukunaga mentioned that it was apparently quite the hassle to get Toei to agree to an uncut, bilingual home video release of the TV series back when they first started putting the DVDs out. Apparently Toei was concerned about reverse importing (which is to say, Japanese fans buying the North American DVDs since they would be both readily available and far, far cheaper than what the average anime home video release in Japan was). Part of the reason Pioneer was able to release the movies uncut and bilingual is because Japan already had home video releases of the movies, and so Toei wasn't particularly worried about reverse importing in that case.

Heck, unless I'm mistaken, I believe FUNimation's DVD singles were technically the first ever (legal) home video release of the original Japanese version...anywhere!

With all that out of the way, even if Pioneer's hypothetical dub wasn't uncut, it likely would have had more faithfully-adapted scripts and kept the original music at least.
If FUNimation was able to get bilingual releases out by the year 2000 I see no reason why Pioneer wouldn’t.

It’s also hard to say if Toei ever actually put red tape on a subtitle release or if that was just FUNimation passing the blame as they tend to do.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:19 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:06 pm A thought, though: even if Pioneer got the license to the show, it doesn't necessarily mean they would have released it bilingual and uncut. Gen Fukunaga mentioned that it was apparently quite the hassle to get Toei to agree to an uncut, bilingual home video release of the TV series back when they first started putting the DVDs out. Apparently Toei was concerned about reverse importing (which is to say, Japanese fans buying the North American DVDs since they would be both readily available and far, far cheaper than what the average anime home video release in Japan was). Part of the reason Pioneer was able to release the movies uncut and bilingual is because Japan already had home video releases of the movies, and so Toei wasn't particularly worried about reverse importing in that case.

If FUNimation was able to get bilingual releases out by the year 2000 I see no reason why Pioneer wouldn’t.

It’s also hard to say if Toei ever actually put red tape on a subtitle release or if that was just FUNimation passing the blame as they tend to do.
Nah, Toei's been haggling about reverse importing for YEARS. It's been an issue that's affected a lot of release, and the biggest reason why no country other than America has gotten the Dragon Box masters - and even in Funi's case, it was a release that went out of print almost as soon as the final set was on the shelf and only Z ever got one. Even AB Groupe were only given the raw source and had to remaster from scratch. But reverse importing has always been a major concern with Toei, and they'd rather overseas releases be missing features. Of course, their stance has obviously change this decade, but in the 2000s it was very much valid.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:36 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 pm

Nah, Toei's been haggling about reverse importing for YEARS. It's been an issue that's affected a lot of release, and the biggest reason why no country other than America has gotten the Dragon Box masters - and even in Funi's case, it was a release that went out of print almost as soon as the final set was on the shelf and only Z ever got one. Even AB Groupe were only given the raw source and had to remaster from scratch. But reverse importing has always been a major concern with Toei, and they'd rather overseas releases be missing features. Of course, their stance has obviously change this decade, but in the 2000s it was very much valid.

Sure, I’ll bite that it is likely Toei had put an embargo on subtitle releases for the tv series with their initial licensing agreement with Funimation and Funimation wasn’t just playing PR.

But they still obviously changed their minds by the year 2000. I see no reason why, in this hypothetical alternate universe, Pioneer also wouldn’t be able to get a deal so Toei would allow them to do bilingual dvds of the tv series

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:54 pm

It's not just Toei with that. Year later same thing pretty much went down with the original Mobile Suit Gundam. While the dvds were uncut, they were dubbed only because of not wanting reverse importing. Took another ten years for the original series to get a North American dual language release.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:19 pmIf FUNimation was able to get bilingual releases out by the year 2000 I see no reason why Pioneer wouldn’t.
I'm sure they would have come around eventually--they did come around eventually--but what I'm saying is, if we're talking about a hypothetical world where Pioneer got it first, that would mean that, depending on when they got it, it might have been too early for an uncut, bilingual release to be doable. If they got it too early, it would have been out of the question.

I mean, FUNimation/Ocean was dubbing DBZ in 1997...the DVD format was indeed a thing by then, but they were not especially mainstream yet. For that matter, FUNimation started releasing Dragon Ball in the early/mid 90's, which definitely would have been too early for an uncut bilingual release if Pioneer had gotten it at that time.

Could they have gone back later and done an uncut redub? Potentially. Would they have, though? I mean, we're already dealing with a giant what-if scenario anyway, so we're into extreme speculation at this point. They may not have, though. As an example of what they might have done instead, I would point to the French home video release of DBZ. France aired an edited dub of DBZ on French TV in the early 90s, and when they finally got around to releasing DVDs in the mid-2000s, they were indeed bilingual and uncut...but there was a big asterisk next to "uncut" when we're talking about the dub's audio track. Virtually no re-dubbing was done. Rather, if you select the French dub audio track, what happens is that whenever a scene that was cut from France's TV airing plays, the audio will temporarily switch over to the original Japanese with French subtitles, and then immediately back to the French dub audio once the originally cut scene is over.

To each their own, but to me, something that would be unwatchable.

It might have been what Pioneer had to do if they got the series too early and wanted to go the uncut, bilingual route, though. They might not have had another choice. All in all, for all the things we wish FUNimation had done differently, we can thank them for this: English is one of the very few languages for which DBZ has an uncensored dub, in its entirety, with a (relatively) consistent cast, that also got a home video release. That's attributable, in part, to how relatively late we ended up getting DBZ. We got it just as DVDs were becoming mainstream, which would not have been the case if Pioneer got it from the start.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:46 am

By "the early 2000s" there would be no chance of Pioneer or [insert anime publisher here] putting out an "uncut bilingual release with all the anime bells and whistles, etc" because by 2000, Funimation had finally managed to make Dragon Ball profitable in the US thanks to Toonami's airings of the dub, which in turn was spurred by the re-runs of the initial Saban/Ocean Group episodes. And those got got picked up by Toonami to begin with because they did well in syndication beforehand.

Basically, to imagine a release of Dragon Ball tailored made for the anime home video market and nothing else requires to ignore its success as a hacked together for-TV product that also had happened to have a cult following more interested in its Japanese version thanks to unauthorized VHS fansubs. It's a scenario that's impossible to imagine logically. Even though it was cut and rewritten to ribbons, it was successful, and Toei wasn't going to renege on a success like that no matter how amateur hour Funimation went about it.
Super Sonic wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:54 pm It's not just Toei with that. Year later same thing pretty much went down with the original Mobile Suit Gundam. While the dvds were uncut, they were dubbed only because of not wanting reverse importing. Took another ten years for the original series to get a North American dual language release.
It's not just Toei with that. And it's not just Bandai with that. It's Japan "with that". Japanese licensors have always been skittish about reverse importation once the DVD era came along. Hell, they got even more concerned about it once bluray came along and now North America and Japan share the same region code (A). One old-but-recent example is Sentai Filmworks' initial release of Persona 4: The Animation. The North American bluray was dub only, while the DVD was bilingual. It's also why you see on many North American blurays locked subtitles for the Japanese version, the idea being locked subtitles obstructing the image will deter Japanese otaku from reverse importing the potentially cheaper American discs. And seeing as how bluray drives aren't as ubiquitous in computers as CD/DVD drives were, only the most dedicated will go and rip the discs for piracy purposes, and that's not even factoring Japan's strict anti-piracy laws.

And in Gundam 79's case, despite getting a bilingual release so many years later, it still lacks the fifteenth episode. The prevailing rumor is that Tomino hated the episode because of its lackluster animation, but then that begs the question why has it been every local Japanese release up to the present day? The most possible answer is that the original Gundam, iconic as it is, will just never be as popular overseas like in Japan, so Bandai just needs to do enough to pay lip service to the diehard overseas Gundam audience (here's 99% of the show, that's our final offer) while making sure the more lucrative Japanese locals shell out for their more "complete" release.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 am

Vorige Waffe wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:46 am By "the early 2000s" there would be no chance of Pioneer or [insert anime publisher here] putting out an "uncut bilingual release with all the anime bells and whistles, etc" because by 2000, Funimation had finally managed to make Dragon Ball profitable in the US thanks to Toonami's airings of the dub, which in turn was spurred by the re-runs of the initial Saban/Ocean Group episodes. And those got got picked up by Toonami to begin with because they did well in syndication beforehand.

Basically, to imagine a release of Dragon Ball tailored made for the anime home video market and nothing else requires to ignore its success as a hacked together for-TV product that also had happened to have a cult following more interested in its Japanese version thanks to unauthorized VHS fansubs. It's a scenario that's impossible to imagine logically. Even though it was cut and rewritten to ribbons, it was successful, and Toei wasn't going to renege on a success like that no matter how amateur hour Funimation went about it.
All of this is precisely why my whole "what if/alternate universe" scenario that I'm most interested in is one where FUNimation/Saban had NEVER gotten ahold of or been involved with DB/Z from the getgo. Where Circa the mid/late 90s it was Pioneer (or inset whichever then-video market anime licensing company: could be U.S. Renditions, could be Viz, could be a then-fresh ADV, AnimEigo, CPM, Manga, whomever) who had gotten ahold of the DB/Z license instead of FUNi and simply tried to follow its release in the mold of things like Viz's Ranma 1/2 release: straight to video, for the more "mature" anime market at the time, without ANY of the baggage whatsoever that comes with a "slashed to ribbons" U.S. children's TV edit/airing.

No Toonami phenomenon, none of that. A scenario where DB/Z was just another in what was then a still burgeoning/booming anime home video market, one that at that point was JUST starting to expand itself more into the realm of longer form TV anime (without U.S. TV airings) and not just solely stand alone films and short OVA series and find some successes there at last.

Part of the reason that this scenario is so utterly foreign and incomprehensible to so much of this community is because 99.9999999% of this community is made up of people who cut their teeth on not just Dragon Ball, but anime as a whole PRIMARILY from either the original Toonami explosion itself, or in the wake of its aftermath somewhere down the line.

Not only was most of this community in no way a part of or experienced with North American anime fandom (particularly outside of the children's television realm) before then, so much of the modern fanbase has done such a laughably piss-poor job of educating itself for the past 20 years on the history of anime in North America that predates their entry (or is otherwise outside of the realm of kids' TV airings) that the ENTIRE CONCEPT of the "direct to VHS" market that not only catered to a pre-established North American anime fanbase that dates back to the late 70s/early 80s, but that also ADVERTISED ITSELF up front as Japanese animation WAY before something like Toonami ever came along at all is something that is almost 100% entirely outside its scope of comprehension.

The ENTIRE critical, notable, and exceedingly un-obscure era of North American anime is nonetheless SO far outside the purview of most of this community, that these hypothetical questions ALWAYS have to forcibly come around back to the idea that "Well the FUNimation clusterfuck HAD to be done, it was a necessary evil, because otherwise how else could the series be brought here? There was no other avenue for any anime at all but kids' TV at the time!"

These scenarios are 1000% rooted in a false premise and false dichotomy from the getgo: there WERE other avenues, there WERE other ways this could've played out WITHOUT the need for ANY kids' TV airings. It was a lot dicier in the early days of the direct to VHS market in the 80s (where Streamline once again tried not once but TWICE to get a direct to VHS long form TV anime series selling and had failed to do so, to the point of souring Carl Macek on the very notion of ever trying it again entirely), but by the mid 1990s, this was starting to change and longer TV anime was just starting to find its footing in the straight to video anime market of the time and have some successes without the benefit or need of TV airings.

The audience it catered to was FAR different from the kinds of people who were obsessed with and tuned into Saturday morning or weekday afternoon children's TV shows: but that doesn't mean that this audience was somehow not sufficient enough to keep a longform video anime series afloat and going.

All of this is incredibly hard, if not outright impossible for a lot of this community to digest: both because the pre-Cartoon Network, non-children's television anime market of the 80s and early 90s is so foreign and impossibly alien to most of you that I may as well be talking about another plane of reality and existence entirely outside our own: that and also I think because roughly 20 years now of constant, incessant historical revision on the internet from self-styled "anime experts/historians" has jackhammered it into people's heads the false notion that without DBZ taking off on Toonami, and without the Pokemon phenomenon alongside it, anime would somehow have "never" become a thing in the U.S. at all.

Which totally ignores and brushes aside the blunt fact of reality that anime ALREADY WAS a "thing" here in America for YEARS before then: just not among the Saturday morning kids TV audience. Which is a concept (the idea of ANY kind of notable audience that's completely outside the kids' TV realm) that is also completely foreign and impossible to fathom for much of this community as well.

Would Dragon Ball have become the same level of mainstream ubiquity that its reached today without FUNimation or Toonami? Obviously not, most likely, and no one (least of all me) would ever argue that. Does that therefore mean that it would not have achieved ANY level or measure of success (even NOTABLE success) here or that we would NEVER have gotten the full series? Absolutely not. It ABSOLUTELY could've, and likely would have given its ability to nab an audience pretty much wherever with relative ease.

PLENTY of older franchises from the 80s and 90s (outside of just anime) have done EXCEEDINGLY well and have lasted into today on the strength of largely video releases from back then, and without having been a part of the whole kids television circuit whatsoever (not that most folks here would know about or acknowledge most of them for the very reason that so many people here are singularly focused largely on kids' media at the expense of much else), and Dragon Ball I'd wager would've not been much different in that regard.

Not everything HAS to be at a Pokemon/Power Rangers/Ninja Turtles-caliber kiddie phenomenon/fad in order to be a "success" of any kind of worthwhile magnitude. That's asinine on its face: but unfortunately that's the metric that this community primarily judges these things by and isn't satisfied unless their thing (be it DB or whatever) reaches that type of plateau in their eyes.

And that ingrained bias (that's SO deeply entrenched into the very fabric of this community/fanbase for the past 20 years, that its effectively invisible to most, akin to the adage that a fish is so used to water that it doesn't even realize that its in water or what water even is) is what colors SO much of these types of "what if/what could've been" discussions about the series' original release, to the point that it is all but IMPOSSIBLE for most folks here to fathom the very idea of Dragon Ball getting anywhere not just without FUNimation, but without taking off on kids' TV in the same way among the same type of audience that Pokemon and Power Rangers and the like had.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.