Strange line from Nam in Blue Water DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Strange line from Nam in Blue Water DB

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:22 am

This could easily be the Mandella affect as I haven't seen the Blue Water DB dub in years, but I could swear they made it sound like Nam intended to either kill Goku or put him in a permanent coma with his falling technique (I forget the proper name).

I think he said something along the lines of "You'll never regain consciousness" and/or "Forgive me, but your life must be sacrificed".

Does anyone else remember this or am I misremembering? I'm sure I remember thinking it was bizarre that he'd think he'd have to kill Goku, or that he'd avoid disqualification. Both the Japanese and Funimation versions just have him say he'll sleep for 8 to 10 days.

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Strange line from Nam in Blue Water DB

Post by TobyS » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:00 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:22 am This could easily be the Mandella affect as I haven't seen the Blue Water DB dub in years, but I could swear they made it sound like Nam intended to either kill Goku or put him in a permanent coma with his falling technique (I forget the proper name).

I think he said something along the lines of "You'll never regain consciousness" and/or "Forgive me, but your life must be sacrificed".

Does anyone else remember this or am I misremembering? I'm sure I remember thinking it was bizarre that he'd think he'd have to kill Goku, or that he'd avoid disqualification. Both the Japanese and Funimation versions just have him say he'll sleep for 8 to 10 days.
Never seen that dub but probably just them trying to raise the stakes, Nam was desperate to help his people.

A coma wouldn't break the rules but killing would so that would be a contradiction.

Perhaps Nam was so desperate he was willing to gamble on it.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:12 am

Yeah, there were a few oddities in the first 30 or so episodes of the Blue Water dub of DB. I can't remember the exact line, but your recollection of Nam saying something odd along that line is basically correct, yes.

For all the problems in Funi's scripts that BW fixed in the first couple of arcs, there was a weird change they made themselves. But they improved A LOT in the Red Ribbon arc, surpassing Funi's dub by a significant margin quite quickly. This leaves the first couple of arcs in a weird space where the most faithful dub of the first 13 episodes is the BLT dub, with BW and Funi being on roughly even ground below that.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:07 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:12 am Yeah, there were a few oddities in the first 30 or so episodes of the Blue Water dub of DB. I can't remember the exact line, but your recollection of Nam saying something odd along that line is basically correct, yes.
Thanks for that. Whenever I've watched another version of that scene its been in the back of my head that the Blue Water version was darker. When I first saw it I remember thinking it was surprisingly dark for an otherwise lighthearted tournament.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 am

Found the episode. It's weird because at first Nam just says "You will be asleep for quite some time" but when Yamcha suggest calling a doctor Roshi says "A doctor can only help the living" then Nam says "Your sacrifice will not be in vain you will ascend to the Gods knowing your deeds have given life and strength to many others in the honor of my father's house and the sake of my people" and then when Goku wakes up with just a sore throat Nam says "He lives?!"

Kind of out there and dark but the ascend to the Gods bit is kind of cool, early 2000s Funimation would never have a line referencing non-Abrahamic religions.