Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:12 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:01 pm

Goten isn't a child he is a teenager in DBS.
He is at the oldest 14. A child, a minor. I don’t know why this is something you’ve decided to be so obtuse about.

Never mind as far as the narrative is concerned he’s still 7. But it doesn’t matter if he’s 7 or 14 he’s still a child.

Gohan was a child when he went to Namek, trained with Piccolo and Goku for 3 years and trained in the ROSAT for 1 years. Goku could change Chi Chi mind. Gohan was 4-11 years old when he was training.
And almost all of this was behind Chi Chi’s back.
Goten however isn't allowed to train with Goku or go to Whis planet. Nothing anyone said would change her mind.
We see him hanging out with Trunks and his dad all the time.

Not being able to go to another planet=/= Chi Chi is a big meanie head who doesn’t let Goten do anything but study and she probably has him chained up his room

Just imagine wanting to do something and always being stopped by other people, that would be annoying as heck.
Yeah, I’m starting to think this is some deep rooted projection issue that I, someone who isn’t a therapist, am not qualified to discuss.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:12 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:01 pm

Goten isn't a child he is a teenager in DBS.
He is at the oldest 14. A child, a minor. I don’t know why this is something you’ve decided to be so obtuse about.

Never mind as far as the narrative is concerned he’s still 7. But it doesn’t matter if he’s 7 or 14 he’s still a child.

Gohan was a child when he went to Namek, trained with Piccolo and Goku for 3 years and trained in the ROSAT for 1 years. Goku could change Chi Chi mind. Gohan was 4-11 years old when he was training.
And almost all of this was behind Chi Chi’s back.
Goten however isn't allowed to train with Goku or go to Whis planet. Nothing anyone said would change her mind.
We see him hanging out with Trunks and his dad all the time.

Not being able to go to another planet=/= Chi Chi is a big meanie head who doesn’t let Goten do anything but study and she probably has him chained up his room

Just imagine wanting to do something and always being stopped by other people, that would be annoying as heck.
Yeah, I’m starting to think this is some deep rooted projection issue that I, someone who isn’t a therapist, isn’t qualified to discuss.
We agree on the age.

The only time Goku went behind Chi Chi back was when he took Gohan to the Cell Game, other than the Goku was up front about training with Gohan for 3 years and 1 year in the ROSAT.
Gohan still went to Namek for a unknown duration of time, while Goten wasn't allowed to go to Whis.

Yet when it comes to train with Goku or compete with Goku in anyway Goten isn't allowed.

It is better to keep discussion about Dragon Ball. Just incase sorry that was my bad to bring up my other post last sentence.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:43 pm

I think we should agree to disagree about Chi Chi, I will think however I want about Chi Chi while you can think however you want about Chi Chi.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 pm It doesn’t help that Gohan is completely absent in the Super Broli movie but the way Dragon Ball Super left off it appears Gohan has decided he can in fact be both a martial artist and an academic.
I've read that he goes through some character development in Super where he starts prioritizing fighting more. I was more going off of the original series where what I said was more the dynamic in play.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:04 pm

Chichi is a bad spouse for not letting Goten hang out with Goku doing what they both want. As a mother especially a human she is making the right call stopping Goten from hanging out with Goku and instead studying.

Goku is a person that would be a fun friend to hang out with but you wouldn't want your kids emulating him.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 am

Here is one question in DBS Goten and Trunks are normally forbidden, which might be why they became lazy slackers.
Goku and Vegeta force Goten and Trunks to enter the Martial Art Tournament, does that make them bad parents?

In DBS Anime when they wanted to train and fight they were forbidden.
In EOZ when they don't want to fight and train, they get forced to enter a tournament and in Vegeta case he would cut Trunks from getting money if he refuse to enter the tournament.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:05 am

super michael wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 am Here is one question in DBS Goten and Trunks are normally forbidden, which might be why they became lazy slackers.
Goku and Vegeta force Goten and Trunks to enter the Martial Art Tournament, does that make them bad parents?
I mean, they kind of are bad parents. Forcing their sons to participate in a tournament is the least of their problems.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:16 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 am Here is one question in DBS Goten and Trunks are normally forbidden, which might be why they became lazy slackers.

In DBS Anime when they wanted to train and fight they were forbidden.
In EOZ when they don't want to fight and train, they get forced to enter a tournament and in Vegeta case he would cut Trunks from getting money if he refuse to enter the tournament.
Forcing them in that tournament is like Forcing us to go to a family event we might not want to. Vegeta is teasing Trunks because Trunks is going to enter and have fun anyway.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:12 am

In DBS I wonder why Vegeta gave up on the idea of Trunks ever surpassing Gohan, in DBZ Buu Saga Bulma mentioned that Vegeta wanted Trunks to surpass Gohan.

Can we agree on these things:

Studying, tutor and school = Good
Martial arts, training and sensei/shifu = Good

Stopping either one of them or forbidding is bad.

Goku never prevented Gohan from studying, however Chi Chi wanted to prevent her sons from training and doing martial arts.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 am

super michael wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:12 am In DBS I wonder why Vegeta gave up on the idea of Trunks ever surpassing Gohan, in DBZ Buu Saga Bulma mentioned that Vegeta wanted Trunks to surpass Gohan.

Goku never prevented Gohan from studying, however Chi Chi wanted to prevent her sons from training and doing martial arts.
Chichi in her defense has had both her sons die because Goku won't take care of things from the start.

Imagine if he would have busted on SS2 the second Superme Kai told him at Buu and they saw Dabra.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 am
super michael wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:12 am In DBS I wonder why Vegeta gave up on the idea of Trunks ever surpassing Gohan, in DBZ Buu Saga Bulma mentioned that Vegeta wanted Trunks to surpass Gohan.

Chichi in her defense has had both her sons die because Goku won't take care of things from the start.

Imagine if he would have busted on SS2 the second Superme Kai told him at Buu and they saw Dabra.
Buu getting revived wasn't Goku faults, he didn't make Vegeta get possessed and kill innocent people just to force Goku to fight him. However the cyborgs getting activated is Goku fault along with the Z fighters, for not listening to Bulma idea in using the Dragon Balls to know Dr Gero location.

Gohan had the raw power to defend and beat Raditz, but he didn't know about it thanks to Chi Chi. So in a way Gohan getting kidnapped was Chi Chi fault.

Chi Chi Future son both died thanks to her rules.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:14 am

super michael wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 am [. So in a way Gohan getting kidnapped was Chi Chi fault.

What an inane comment.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:14 am
super michael wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 am [. So in a way Gohan getting kidnapped was Chi Chi fault.

What an inane comment.
In what way is it insane?

Kid Gohan had the power to defeat Raditz, but not the skills and knowledge how to use his power. Had Goku being allowed to teach Gohan anything, then Gohan would have been able to use his power freely. Goku tells Master Roshi that he wasn't allowed to train or teach Gohan anything.

Now if it is Future Gohan then we know without Future Trunks warning there was no way Future Gohan would be allowed to train with Future Goku. Once all the Future Z warriors died, who does he have left to train and learn?

Future Goten he was too weak to defend himself against Goku Black, who wasn't even used to Goku body at the time.
Future Goten wasn't allowed to train with Goku or anyone.

Chi Chi having her sons study is a great thing. However Chi Chi not wanting her sons to train in anyway or learn martial arts is horrible.

Buu Saga Chi Chi is a great character along with her Yo Son Goku Ova and DBS Manga self.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:19 pm

Inane, not insane. I know you arent a native english speaker. But try to read more carefully.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:19 pm Inane, not insane. I know you arent a native english speaker. But try to read more carefully.
Sorry that was my bad, yes I will read more careful. Actually english is my native language, so please don't start making assumptions.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:01 pm

Then I have to say it is kinda atrocious. For months, I've held back. Goten is not forbidden. He is forbid.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:01 pm Then I have to say it is kinda atrocious. For months, I've held back. Goten is not forbidden. He is forbid.
I didn't realize I was making that mistake, sorry about that.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:01 pm Then I have to say it is kinda atrocious. For months, I've held back. Goten is not forbidden. He is forbid.
No, “Goten is forbidden from fighting” is grammatically correct. “Chichi forbids Goten from fighting” is the correct use of “forbid” (and is a better phrase as it has no passive voice).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:09 pm

I know. I realized just now. But I STILL remember some wonky english in his posts. Not that but something else. I've been spending months believing they were not english native.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:55 am

super michael wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:02 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 am

Buu getting revived wasn't Goku faults, he didn't make Vegeta get possessed and kill innocent people just to force Goku to fight him. However the cyborgs getting activated is Goku fault along with the Z fighters, for not listening to Bulma idea in using the Dragon Balls to know Dr Gero location.

Gohan had the raw power to defend and beat Raditz, but he didn't know about it thanks to Chi Chi. So in a way Gohan getting kidnapped was Chi Chi fault.

Buu getting revived is as much Vegeta's fault as Gokus. They both chose to have fun and be selfish instead of taking care of business.