Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm Ah yes, children only exist tp tale care of their parents' needs didn't you know?
These aren't regular children under regular circumstances with a regular family. The fact that this element is ignored makes all discussion on the topic worthless.
But the people who read Dragon Ball are real children and the manner in which their analogues within the story are depicted is most important.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:17 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:08 pm
Gohan forgoes his responsibility as a God amongst men leaving his father, who's an idiot to defend a world he barely even understands.

Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility."
Gohan: "Nah, I wanna be a scholar."

That's a hilariously terrible son
Damn it’s almost like a son doesn’t have to devote his entire life to take care of his middle aged father who can easily take care of himself. You think Goku has Alzheimer’s or something?

Besides, considering how he is the THIRD strongest person who lives on Earth, he kinda already is a “god amongst men”.
Yup and this is exactly why Goku got a hole punched through him and is currently stranded on a distant planet fighting for his life.

Goku's gotta transform into the fucking Pretender, in desperation, to pull off these dubs, but it's totally awesome Gohan's an academic. Totally Awesome...
Either you are pretending to be retarded or it is you who needs Gohan’s care and attention more than Goku...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:48 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:17 pm

Damn it’s almost like a son doesn’t have to devote his entire life to take care of his middle aged father who can easily take care of himself. You think Goku has Alzheimer’s or something?

Besides, considering how he is the THIRD strongest person who lives on Earth, he kinda already is a “god amongst men”.
Yup and this is exactly why Goku got a hole punched through him and is currently stranded on a distant planet fighting for his life.

Goku's gotta transform into the fucking Pretender, in desperation, to pull off these dubs, but it's totally awesome Gohan's an academic. Totally Awesome...
Either you are pretending to be retarded or it is you who needs Gohan’s care and attention more than Goku...
Hey hon, we don't need to use ableist language like that.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm Ah yes, children only exist tp tale care of their parents' needs didn't you know?
These aren't regular children under regular circumstances with a regular family. The fact that this element is ignored makes all discussion on the topic worthless.
It’s not being ignored you just insist on this nonsense argument that Gohan doesn’t want to be a fighter makes him a bad son because reasons.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:56 pm

Yea, I'm bowing outta this discussion as I feel it's slowly getting toxic and emotional. I'd rather talk than argue.

I think everyone's hilariously bad in their roles in their own wonky ways, cuz that's what the series is. I'm not looking at the story from my perspective. I put myself in Dragon World when I read it. Others may do the opposite, but I'll just agree to disagree.
Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:51 pm
It’s not being ignored you just insist on this nonsense argument that Gohan doesn’t want to be a fighter makes him a bad son because reasons.
Exactly if Gohan doesn't want to be a fighter and doesn't want to be the strongest, that doesn't make him a bad son. No one can force to do something he doesn't want to do.

If they forced Gohan to quit studying and quit being a scholar to do something he doesn't want to do then that is being a bad parent.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:48 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey hon, we don't need to use ableist language like that.
Apologies, you are correct. I should have put thought into my message before sending.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:58 am

For Goku and Chi Chi here is my answer.

Chi Chi wanting her sons to study is a good mother, however forbidding their sons from doing anything but studying is wrong and not allowing their sons to do what they want to do is wrong.

Chi Chi not allowing Goku to do as he likes with his kids is wrong.

Gohan was able to do as he likes, thanks to Goku helping him and he is powerful and successful.

Goten was forbidden so he is weak and a loser.

Goku never forbid Gohan and Goten from anything, he never forbid Chi Chi from anything.

Martial arts and training = good
Studying, tutor, school = good

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:40 am

Chichi and Goku are bad spouses more so than bad parents.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:28 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:40 am Chichi and Goku are bad spouses more so than bad parents.
Goku and Chi Chi’s relationship is weird. One is a carefree but childish martial artist and the other is a hardworking but ill-tempered control freak.
Their dynamic doesn’t revolve around complementing each other as so much as cancelling each other out.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:51 pm It’s not being ignored you just insist on this nonsense argument that Gohan doesn’t want to be a fighter makes him a bad son because reasons.
It's almost like fans that make ridiculous arguments like this don't actually get Gohan as a character. Ironically, these fans are like the types of bad parents that want their kid to be something great (sports star, famous politician, etc.) and then get all bent out of shape when the kid decides to go in a different direction for themselves.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:51 pm It’s not being ignored you just insist on this nonsense argument that Gohan doesn’t want to be a fighter makes him a bad son because reasons.
It's almost like fans that make ridiculous arguments like this don't actually get Gohan as a character. Ironically, these fans are like the types of bad parents that want their kid to be something great (sports star, famous politician, etc.) and then get all bent out of shape when the kid decides to go in a different direction for themselves.
That is why Chi Chi is a bad parent, Goten wants to get Super Strong and train with the best martial artist and teacher but of course that isn't allowed thanks to Chi Chi. Goku is one of the best, but of course training with Goku is off limit.

Gohan was allowed to do as he likes and had Goku support when Chi Chi was being Chi Chi. However Not even Goku support will change Chi Chi mind or allow Goku any says at all.
Last edited by super michael on Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:06 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am
That is why Chi Chi is a bad parent, he wants to get Super Strong and train with the best martial artist and teacher but of course that isn't allowed thanks to Chi Chi. Goku is one of the best, but of course training with Goku is off limit.

Gohan was allowed to do as he likes and had Goku support when Chi Chi was being Chi Chi. However Not even Goku support will change Chi Chi mind or allow Goku any says at all.
You have a very distorted view of what a bad parent is.

Not wanting her son to go off to another world does not make her a bad parent.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:09 pm

I dunno why being a martial artist and having a career is treated as mutually exclusive in the series.

It's possible to be a great fighter and have lots of knowledge. Just look at Bruce Lee.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:06 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am

That is why Chi Chi is a bad parent, he wants to get Super Strong and train with the best martial artist and teacher but of course that isn't allowed thanks to Chi Chi. Goku is one of the best, but of course training with Goku is off limit.

You have a very distorted view of what a bad parent is.

Not wanting her son to go off to another world does not make her a bad parent.
Chi Chi allowed Gohan to go to Namek and even listened to Goku
Chi Chi didn't allow Goten to go to Whis Planet with Goku, anything Goku or Goten said she didn't listen.

Chi Chi doesn't let Goten train with Goku his own father, what kind of mother doesn't want her kid to do things with his father? A terrible one that is what she is.

One can be a strong martial artist that trains and also studies and goes to school.

Edit Chi Chi not letting Goku teach Gohan anything about martial art was horrible of her. Good thing later on she allowed it even if conditions were in place.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:09 pm I dunno why being a martial artist and having a career is treated as mutually exclusive in the series.
I don't think it's treated as mutually exclusive so much as it's Toriyama having Gohan prioritize one over the other based on what he's like as a person (as in, not driven by a desire to fight for its own sake and get strong for its own sake like his father is).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:09 pm I dunno why being a martial artist and having a career is treated as mutually exclusive in the series.
I don't think it's treated as mutually exclusive so much as it's Toriyama having Gohan prioritize one over the other based on what he's like as a person (as in, not driven by a desire to fight for its own sake and get strong for its own sake like his father is).
It doesn’t help that Gohan is completely absent in the Super Broli movie but the way Dragon Ball Super left off it appears Gohan has decided he can in fact be both a martial artist and an academic.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 pm
It doesn’t help that Gohan is completely absent in the Super Broli movie but the way Dragon Ball Super left off it appears Gohan has decided he can in fact be both a martial artist and an academic.
Exactly Gohan can train with whoever he wants and can fight anytime he wants and also study anything he wants.
Goten is only allowed to study, while martial arts, training and fighting is off-limit.

If DBS Chi Chi was in DBZ, then Gohan would be a weakling with no confidence and no fighting skills at all. He wouldn't have Super Saiyan at all.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:57 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:53 pm

Exactly Gohan can train with whoever he wants and can fight anytime he wants and also study anything he wants.
Goten is only allowed to study, while martial arts, training and fighting is off-limit.

If DBS Chi Chi was in DBZ, then Gohan would be a weakling with no confidence and no fighting skills at all. He wouldn't have Super Saiyan at all.
Gohan is an ADULT. Goten is a child. Let it go with the whole poor widdle Goten isn’t allowed to go to Beerus’s planet to train.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:57 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:53 pm

Gohan is an ADULT. Goten is a child. Let it go with the whole poor widdle Goten isn’t allowed to go to Beerus’s planet to train.
Goten isn't a child he is a teenager in DBS.

Gohan was a child when he went to Namek, trained with Piccolo and Goku for 3 years and trained in the ROSAT for 1 years. Goku could change Chi Chi mind. Gohan was 4-11 years old when he was training.
In DBS Gohan is a adult who can do anything he likes.

Goten however isn't allowed to train with Goku or go to Whis planet. Nothing anyone said would change her mind.

Just imagine wanting to do something and always being stopped by other people, that would be annoying as heck.