Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Goku is a disaster as a father, according to Akira Toriyama

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:48 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:43 am
super michael wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 am

Gohan refuse to train with Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus. He doesn't want to use the ROSAT or do the SSG Ritual to experience God Ki to make it easier to learn God Ki.
This is relevant to the argument Gohan is a bad son because……….
Gohan not training with the best doesn't make him a awful son at all. It does make him a weakling compared to Goku and Vegeta.

In DBS Manga Gohan = MSSB Goku, since Gohan was able to beat Kefla in a draw.

Gohan = Good son and good parent.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:51 am

Gohan isn't obligated to do dangerous things that he doesn't want to do.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:03 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:51 am Gohan isn't obligated to do dangerous things that he doesn't want to do.
Exactly that is correct. He can choose to fight or not to fight and he can choose how he trains or not train at all.

Goku = good parent
Gohan = good son and good parent
Videl = good daughter and good parent.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:13 am

Goku is a loving parent but he sure as hell isn’t a good parent. He pretty much deferred all parental authority to Chi Chi. He didn’t even realize for the first 9/10/11 years of Gohan’s life that Gohan doesn’t like fighting. He only decides to come back to life for one day to participate in a tournament rather than at any point to see his youngest son he never met.

In real life Goku would be viewed as a waste of space when his entire contribution to his family is “Here’s some fish I caught now cook it woman”

Kuririn, Gyumao, Mr.Satan, and Gohan are the only good fathers we see in Dragon Ball.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:13 am Goku is a loving parent but he sure as hell isn’t a good parent. He pretty much deferred all parental authority to Chi Chi. He didn’t even realize for the first 9/10/11 years of Gohan’s life that Gohan doesn’t like fighting. He only decides to come back to life for one day to participate in a tournament rather than at any point to see his youngest son he never met.

In real life Goku would be viewed as a waste of space when his entire contribution to his family is “Here’s some fish I caught now cook it woman”

Kuririn, Gyumao, Mr.Satan, and Gohan are the only good fathers we see in Dragon Ball.
Goku wanted to teach Gohan martial art and all the knowledge he knew, but Chi Chi didn't allow that. That isn't on Goku. Goku was the one who caught food, water and materials like wood.

Goku sacrifice against Cell was what allowed Gohan and Chi Chi to live, instead of dying by Cell explosion.

Gohan showed no signs in DBZ from Saiyan Saga to Android Saga that he hates fighting and killing.

Goku couldn't come back to life anytime he wanted, he needed permission to come to earth. It looks like Goku wouldn't get granted another permission to come back to earth.

The bad parent was Chi Chi, that is until Buu Saga she became a good parent and wife.

Now DBS Anime Chi Chi is the worst parent and worst wife.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:38 am

super michael wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:27 am

Goku wanted to teach Gohan martial art and all the knowledge he knew, but Chi Chi didn't allow that.
That doesn’t make him a good parent.

. Goku was the one who caught food, water and materials like wood.
The majority of the food they ate was clearly store bought….which Chi Chi had to get and pay for her with her dad’s wealth. Sometimes catching fish to eat and bringing in fire wood is hardly an equal contribution.
Goku sacrifice against Cell was what allowed Gohan and Chi Chi to live, instead of dying by Cell explosion.
Which is an example of Goku being a good person not a good dad.

Gohan showed no signs in DBZ from Saiyan Saga to Android Saga that he hates fighting and killing.
And yet Piccolo (who is hardly father of the year despite what the memes say) was able to pick up on it.

Goku couldn't come back to life anytime he wanted, he needed permission to come to earth. It looks like Goku wouldn't get granted another permission to come back to earth.
Yeaaah and he only waited until a martial arts tournament was brought up to ask to go back for a day.
The bad parent was Chi Chi, that is until Buu Saga she became a good parent and wife..
She was ridiculously strict and at times one-track minded but saying she was a bad parent when she did all the actual parenting and was actually worried about her pre-school aged child’s physical well being is ludicrous.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:38 am
That doesn’t make him a good parent.
I disagree that makes Chi Chi the bad wife and parent, for not giving Goku any authority over Gohan. Once Gohan got kidnapped that is when Chi Chi made deals with Goku.

Training and martial arts are great for one mind, body and health.

The majority of the food they ate was clearly store bought….which Chi Chi had to get and pay for her with her dad’s wealth. Sometimes catching fish to eat and bringing in fire wood is hardly an equal contribution.
Goku nowadays makes money by working on a farm, so right now he is the one who makes the money.
Goku gave all of Mr Satan money to Chi Chi and what does Chi Chi do? She lies to Goku telling she used all their money.

Which is an example of Goku being a good person not a good dad.
Good point.
And yet Piccolo (who is hardly father of the year despite what the memes say) was able to pick up on it.
Piccolo heard everything what Gohan told Cell, Goku didn't hear what Gohan said. Most likely Gohan didn't tell Goku what he thought.
Yeaaah and he only waited until a martial arts tournament was brought up to ask to go back for a day.
We don't know all the rules about a dead person going to earth.
She was ridiculously strict and at times one-track minded but saying she was a bad parent when she did all the actual parenting and was actually worried about her pre-school aged child’s physical well being is ludicrous.
Chi Chi not allowing Goku to do anything with Gohan and Goten is being a bad wife and parent. Like I said in the first place martial art and training is good for the mind and health.
However her not wanting her sons to fight villain that is reasonable.

You know there are martial arts schools that teach martial art and discipline to small kids right, those parent that takes them there are being good.
Kids doing martial arts, training and studying is a good thing.

Her being a control freak is not being a good parent.

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm really beginning to think that Goku's reputation as a bad father is overblown. Yes, he's bad, but he's not awful like everyone points him out to be. He does raise both Gohan and Goten to be the next generation of fighters well enough at least, even if it's not in their nature. He's not neglectful in that regard.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:28 pm

Yosheets wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:11 pm I'm really beginning to think that Goku's reputation as a bad father is overblown. Yes, he's bad, but he's not awful like everyone points him out to be. He does raise both Gohan and Goten to be the next generation of fighters well enough at least, even if it's not in their nature. He's not neglectful in that regard.
It is funny Goku gets the bad reputation in being the bad father, while Chi Chi doesn't get the bad reputation for being a horrible wife, mother and grandma.

She overreacted and scream just because how Mr Satan and Gohan were playing with Pan, even though it wasn't Chi Chi business. Then she was against Mr Satan idea in her being a martial artist and locked herself with Pan and Videl not allowing Gohan and Mr Satan to be with Pan.

Chi Chi is a control freak.

Goten he actually likes to train and get strong, but that is wrong in Chi Chi eyes and doesn't allow that.

Chi Chi didn't dare fight Beerus, but she sure wanted to force Krillin to fight.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:35 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:28 pm
It is funny Goku gets the bad reputation in being the bad father, while Chi Chi doesn't get the bad reputation for being a horrible wife, mother and grandma.
Chi Chi absolutely gets a ton of shit for her parenting and attitude! What sort of rock have you been living under?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:40 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:53 am
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:12 am

Despite having greater potential than his father, he leaves his father by himself to put his life on the line to constantly fight battles he himself should be fighting. He's pathetic, not only that, he's exceptionally pathetic. If I had even an ounce of Gohan's potential, there's no way my dad and his sparing buddy would keep getting their heads caved in while I sat back and watched... And I'm supposed to be more "human" than they are.

He's only in good standing with his parents because his parents are crazy.
What are you even talking about? Do you mean when he was a FUCKING CHILD and was definitely weaker than his dad regardless of any potential? Including a one point when his dad ordered for him to leave. Or do you mean when he was killed alongside Goten and Trunks and Piccolo while unconscious when the earth was destroyed by Majin Boo? And by the time he came back he had no way of getting to the Kaioshin planet so he did his part by trying to get people to raise their hands for the Genki Dama?

Surely you don’t mean Dragon Ball Super where his dad can harness God Ki and he is significantly weaker than he by the end of the Boo conflict in Z?

I’ve seen a lot of bad takes on this forum but this one is pretty high up.
Gohan refuse to train with Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus. He doesn't want to use the ROSAT or do the SSG Ritual to experience God Ki to make it easier to learn God Ki.

He only relies on Piccolo for training and no one else.

Goku, Gohan and Videl are great parents. Bulma is a good parent also.
Chi Chi is a awful parent and awful wife.
Exactly. If my dad was Goku, there's no way Vegeta would be my dad's No1. I'D be Vegeta. And his overwhelming desire to pencil push leaves him unequipped to adequately protect what he loves. He forces the role of hero and protector on his father, who only executes the role on pure innocence and circumstance. It's like sending your mentally deficient family member out to do your dirty work because you don't feel like doing it yourself. Gohan has too much power to be expected to do so little. It's almost a criminal...

Future Trunks is what Gohan should be. Hell, Future Trunks recognizes Gohan is not the man he should be. Even he's disappointed...

And just so I'm clear, I like CURRENT Gohan. All the "negative" things I said about Gohan is what makes him an interesting character. Hell, the life of current Gohan deserves a show of it's own. I just think it's insane that Goku is singled out when literally every character in the franchise has insane flaws in their roles.

Once we get to a point where a majority of the characters can blow up a planet in their sleep, no one is going to be who or how they "should be", reality has been transcend and basic social expectations should be an afterthought. People are legit upset that Goku isn't Uncle Phil and it's insane.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:52 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Exactly. If my dad was Goku, there's no way Vegeta would be my dad's No1. I'D be Vegeta. And his overwhelming desire to pencil push leaves him unequipped to adequately protect what he loves. He forces the role of hero and protector on his father, who only executes the role on pure innocence and circumstance. It's almost a criminal...
He doesn’t force anything on Goku what even?

And realizing not keeping up with his training could put Videl and Pan in harm’s way was part of his character arc in Super
Future Trunks is what Gohan should be.
Future Trunks is a product of his environment. Same with Future Gohan. Both Gohan and Trunks are changed in the main timeline because it was comparatively more peaceful.

Hell, Future Trunks recognizes Gohan is not the man he should be. Even he's disappointed...
And then he accepts this is a different Gohan and at least this Gohan is happy and alive. He realizes his disappointment was misguided. How do you miss the point of something that had all the subtlety of being run over by a semi truck that bad?

. I just think it's insane that Goku is singled out when literally every character in the franchise has insane flaws in their roles.

Of course every character has flaws. But your argument “Actually Gohan is a bad son and here’s why” is complete nonsense.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:52 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:40 pm

Exactly. If my dad was Goku, there's no way Vegeta would be my dad's No1. I'D be Vegeta. And his overwhelming desire to pencil push leaves him unequipped to adequately protect what he loves. He forces the role of hero and protector on his father, who only executes the role on pure innocence and circumstance. It's almost a criminal...
He doesn’t force anything on Goku what even?

And realizing not keeping up with his training could put Videl and Pan in harm’s way was part of his character arc in Super
Future Trunks is what Gohan should be.
Future Trunks is a product of his environment. Same with Future Gohan. Both Gohan and Trunks are changed in the main timeline because it was comparatively more peaceful.

Hell, Future Trunks recognizes Gohan is not the man he should be. Even he's disappointed...
And then he accepts this is a different Gohan and at least this Gohan is happy and alive. He realizes his disappointment was misguided. How do you miss the point of something that had all the subtlety of being run over by a semi truck that bad?

. I just think it's insane that Goku is singled out when literally every character in the franchise has insane flaws in their roles.

Of course every character has flaws. But your argument “Actually Gohan is a bad son and here’s why” is complete nonsense.
Gohan forgoes his responsibility as a God amongst men leaving his father, who's an idiot to defend a world he barely even understands.

Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility."
Gohan: "Nah, I wanna be a scholar."

That's a hilariously terrible son.

-edit-
:lol: Gohan doesn't even know his old man's off on some random planet getting his shit rocked by the next universal threat.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:17 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:08 pm
Gohan forgoes his responsibility as a God amongst men leaving his father, who's an idiot to defend a world he barely even understands.

That's a hilariously terrible son
Damn it’s almost like a son doesn’t have to devote his entire life to take care of his middle aged father who can easily take care of himself. You think Goku has Alzheimer’s or something?

Besides, considering how he is the THIRD strongest person who lives on Earth, he kinda already is a “god amongst men”.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Gohan forgoes his responsibility as a God amongst men
No, like all the Z fighters he never thinks too much of the next universal threat until it comes a knocking. They’re not Super Heroes constantly on the lookout for the next evil Space Alien trying to conquer earth. Goku and Vegeta don’t train 24/7 to protect the earth as Japanese Superman and Wolverine, they train because they want to keep getting stronger. Gohan doesn’t have the same mentality. Most of the Z fighters don’t.
leaving his father, who's an idiot to defend a world he barely even understands.
Goku got acquainted with society a good 7 years before Gohan was born. That’s kind of a Goku problem if he still can’t function properly. Also Goku is just oblivious he’s not mentally handicapped.
No, no it isn’t. This is such a completely asinine statement.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:17 pm

That's a hilariously terrible son
Damn it’s almost like a son doesn’t have to devote his entire life to take care of his middle aged father who can easily take care of himself. You think Goku has Alzheimer’s or something?

Besides, considering how he is the THIRD strongest person who lives on Earth, he kinda already is a “god amongst men”.
Yup and this is exactly why Goku got a hole punched through him and is currently stranded on a distant planet fighting for his life.

Goku's gotta transform into the fucking Pretender, in desperation, to pull off these dubs, but it's totally awesome Gohan's an academic. Totally Awesome...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Ah yes, children only exist to take care of their parents' needs didn't you know?
Last edited by JulieYBM on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Gohan forgoes his responsibility as a God amongst men
No, like all the Z fighters he never thinks too much of the next universal threat until it comes a knocking. They’re not Super Heroes constantly on the lookout for the next evil Space Alien trying to conquer earth. Goku and Vegeta don’t train 24/7 to protect the earth as Japanese Superman and Wolverine, they train because they want to keep getting stronger. Gohan doesn’t have the same mentality
leaving his father, who's an idiot to defend a world he barely even understands.
Goku got acquainted with society a good 7 years before Gohan was born. That’s kind of a Goku problem if he still can’t function properly. Also Goku is just oblivious he’s not mentally handicapped.
No, no it isn’t. This is such a completely asinine statement.
Be honest, would you be Gohan if your dad was Goku and you had his power? I'd cut you some slack in the beginning, but after Frieza? Never again...

If you beat Cell after your father died at his hands? If you became the strongest in the universe? You think it's totally fine Gohan is the man he is?

The fact that Gohan ends up being the man he is, is what makes him easily one of the most interesting characters in the franchise.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 pm

When Vegeta wanted Trunks to surpass Gohan, was Vegeta being a good father? I would think yes, since Vegeta personally taught and trained Trunks.

Chi Chi letting Gohan study in peace while she trained with Goten was being a good mother.

Goku letting Gohan miss out on U6 Vs U7 was being a good father, since he knew Gohan has his life to care for.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm Ah yes, children only exist tp tale care of their parents' needs didn't you know?
These aren't regular children under regular circumstances with a regular family. The fact that this element is ignored makes all discussion on the topic worthless.