How can I meet a woman who likes Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How can I meet a woman who likes Dragon Ball?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:12 pm

As someone in a long-distance relationship I can say that it IS tough but we stumble upon love in the funniest places.

And again, don't think too hard about whether they have such a specific interest, IMO. A relationship is about more than just your interests. Keep in my their interests! Take an interest in the thinks they like! Be open to new things!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:18 pm

It's about finding the right person. If they don't like Dragon Ball, it won't be the end of the world. You can find other things that will click with you.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 am

My wife had to watch every episode of dbz before I would propose. That’s love

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 am

I've met several women who love anime and manga, and of course DB, in my Japanese class. So, studying Japanese will definitely get you closer to people who at least will know who Android 19 is.
That said, you shouldn't do stuff like learning a new language just to meet girls.

Also, this:
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 am Just find a girl you click with period. Superficial TV interests are immaterial.
You can always find a girl, and have her watch DB with you. Maybe she'll like it, maybe she won't.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:33 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 am My wife had to watch every episode of dbz before I would propose. That’s love
It's not true love until you have power level debates down to the decimal point.

RashFaustinho

Post by RashFaustinho » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:29 am

I'll mary the girl that will be able to explain me exactly how much strong Beerus is without relying on retcon explanations.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:51 pm

Meeting a girl who likes Dragonball should be a plus, not a deal breaker at all. Most women I know aren’t into Dragonball, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Finding a compatible partner goes far deeper than what their favourite show is. Find someone who you vibe with in every way, and maybe if the chemistry is there she will embrace Dragonball because it makes you happy.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:52 pm

Get on a serious dating app/site and list your interests without being weird about, then self-filter.

This isn’t really a DB thread, but that’s the actual answer nonetheless?

But also probably don’t put that much weight on interest in a single series. If your tastes and interests align in more general terms, you’ll wind up reading/watching things the other person likes anyway! Just how relationships work.
precita wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:02 pm Most women tend not to watch shonen anime unless they grew up with it when they were kids.
I ... I don’t think this is true anymore.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:24 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:52 pm
precita wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:02 pm Most women tend not to watch shonen anime unless they grew up with it when they were kids.
I ... I don’t think this is true anymore.
Well, everyone has a different social circle, and people's perceptions are usually skewed since we usually just associate with people with similar interests....but I don't really know many women who watch shonen anime. Most people (including women) I know just watch sports, random stuff on YouTube and whatever is hot on Netflix at the moment.

I have noticed seeing more women who own Nintendo Switches to play Animal Crossing, Pokemon etc. which is a contrast to the past where I didn't know many women playing games.

Anyway I agree with your general point about expanding beyond interest in a single series. More to life just than media.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 am

Women tend to hide our geeky interests for numerous reasons:

1. Societal expectations are set first and foremost by the patriarchy and women are not expected to be involved in anything that doesn't serve the patriarchy (staying at home, being fuckable and taking care of the household).
2. Lol, have you SEEN how men treat women in fandom?
3. Women basically invented modern fandom and in the 1960s and 1970s then misogynist assholes came in to use their male privilege to be loud assholes and control the course of the discussion.

My maternal instincts always flare up when I see girls checking at the manga section at bookstores. It makes me so happy to see things improving for us. Current fandoms like HeroAca, Shingeki no Kyojin and Kimetsu no Yaiba are really drawing in the girls from what I see on Twitter and Reddit. It's so cool!

I don't think that Dragon Ball particularly lends itself well to being liked by women, especially now that access to Dragon Ball is such that we can see all of its ugliness. I mean, fuck, the original series has little for the women to do and this shits on all the queer people by making them predators.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 amI mean, fuck, the original series has little for the women to do and this shits on all the queer people by making them predators.
Who else besides General Blue was portrayed that way?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:50 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 amI mean, fuck, the original series has little for the women to do and this shits on all the queer people by making them predators.
What's his face at the last Tenka'ichi.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:12 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:50 am
I thought you meant the original series as in part 1. Also was that guy a predator, or just a pervert?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:28 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:12 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:50 am

I thought you meant the original series as in part 1. Also was that guy a predator, or just a pervert?
Stereotypical Gay man explicitly making a pass at a very uncomfortable 'straight' man is a pretty nasty trope. I won't speak over any MLM on the subject but I know as a bi woman a big fear of mine is my cishet female co-workers being afraid of me making a pass on them, especially in the restroom.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:50 pm

To the guy who originated the thread, ever thought of going to your local anime convention? Grant nowadays they're not really running due to pandemic, but perhaps should look into when they're back. Though be sure to check age and right amount of attention to show.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 am Women tend to hide our geeky interests for numerous reasons:

1. Societal expectations are set first and foremost by the patriarchy and women are not expected to be involved in anything that doesn't serve the patriarchy (staying at home, being fuckable and taking care of the household).
3. Women basically invented modern fandom and in the 1960s and 1970s then misogynist assholes came in to use their male privilege to be loud assholes and control the course of the discussion.
People act like nerdy girls don't know anything. I remember that one sexist meme of the idiot geek girl that was a thing in the early 2010s. I know people who are scared of talking about movies, video games, anime, etc without being judged by other people.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:47 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 am Women tend to hide our geeky interests for numerous reasons:

People act like nerdy girls don't know anything. I remember that one sexist meme of the idiot geek girl that was a thing in the early 2010s. I know people who are scared of talking about movies, video games, anime, etc without being judged by other people.
That's the casual misogyny for you. Men push us out then cry foul when we try to re-enter because they rational that geeky girls don't exist because they're son 'rare', which is a visibility issue caused by how little they interact with women and see women in media.

Popular Media is mostly made by and for men, thus the narrative just repeats itself. It's an endless cycle repeating and re-enforcing the same mentality over and over. This is why I advocate for better representation so often.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:34 pm

I can't tell you how many times I've seen attractive girls on dating apps with Dragon Ball t-shirts, phone cases and posters on their walls in their pics. I had a girlfriend some years back that I watched Dragon Ball with. Like others have said, it's a worldwide phenomena and anime is pretty mainstream now, I would say your chances of meeting a woman who's into it are just as good as meeting one who's into anything else. I don't think there's any special "trick" to it.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:55 pm

I feel like a lot of girls are into anime (including Dragon Ball). I have a bunch on my Facebook that post memes and pics and I didn't know they were into it before.

Also could find one who might not be into it but world give it a shot. I think that's much easier to find -- just a chill down to earth girl who would give it a shot and get into it with you.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanos wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:34 pm I can't tell you how many times I've seen attractive girls on dating apps with Dragon Ball t-shirts, phone cases and posters on their walls in their pics. I had a girlfriend some years back that I watched Dragon Ball with. Like others have said, it's a worldwide phenomena and anime is pretty mainstream now, I would say your chances of meeting a woman who's into it are just as good as meeting one who's into anything else. I don't think there's any special "trick" to it.
It's not really. Girls who like Dragon Ball are out there, but your chances of meeting someone who is into, let's say Harry Potter would be much, much higher.

For the record I'll say my fiance isn't a Dragon Ball fan (though we did see Super Broly in theatres, which was nice), but I wouldn't trade our relationship for anything and I'm much happier with her than I would have been with any of the girls I've ever met who were into Dragon Ball.

Nothing wrong with having shared interests, but the person always comes first.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: