My Personal Names for Characters/Attacks/etc. What're yours?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flipcakes

My Personal Names for Characters/Attacks/etc. What're yours?

Post by flipcakes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Character names in Dragon Ball have always been something I've found endlessly fascinating. It's probably one of my favorite parts of the franchise. So I decided to take on the ridiculous task of going through the entire series and working out how I'd adapt literally everyone's name. I hope this goes without saying but I'm not in anyway trying to convince anyone that my way of spelling things is "right", nor am I trying to replace Herms' amazing Name Pun Round-up. viewtopic.php?t=12853 Without that guide this would have taken me a lot longer.

So, I went into this with a mindset of "titles and attack names stay in Japanese". This pretty much boils down to personal preference, but my logic was this is a Japanese series so it's okay if there's some Japanese in it. And also some attack names and character titles are quite long when translated out to English so that was another reason to keep them in Japanese. Again, totally just a personal preference thing.

But something I've learned is that when translating stuff like this, sometimes you're gonna have to break your own rules. Which is super annoying, but hey what can you do. So you'll see a few cases in my list where I did just that.

You'll also see loads of diacritical marks in here, I felt that they're the best way to convey how a particular name or term is properly pronounced. For example, "Gokū" instead of "Gokuu" or "Gokou".

And I also tried as best I could to preserve Chinese spellings and pronunciations where applicable, which was very confusing but I feel worth it.

So yeah that's about it. Please tell me if I've gotten anything wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also, feel free to ask how I arrived at certain things, I'd be happy to explain. And as you can clearly see, this is not the entire series. I thought I'd share what I have so far and update this as I went along, figured it'd be more fun that way and anyone who wants to join me can go insane right along with me as I go down rabbit holes concerning nothing but the names of tea.

But most importantly, I want to see other people's names for things! Do you use dub names? Translate everything out fully? DIfferent spellings? Let us know! I'd love to get a discussion going.

And just so there's no confusion, my list is set up like this:

• Name (Kana or kanji/romanji)
- Source/translation/notes/etc.

SON GOKŪ ARC

• Son Gokū (孫悟空/Son Gokuu)
- Source: 孫悟空/Son Gokuu
- Taken exactly from the protagonist of Journy to the West, which is read as Sūn Wùkōng in Chinese.
- Translation: Grandchild/Monkey Aware of the Vacuity

• Bloomer (ブルマ/Buruma)
- Source: ブルマ/buruma

• Nyoibō (如意棒/Nyoibou)
- Translation: As-One-Wishes Rod
- Named after Sūn Wùkōng’s cudgel in Journey to the West. Its name is Rúyì Bàng in Chinese.

• Janken (ジャン拳/Janken)
- Gokū's technique he learned from his Grandpa, Japanese equivalent of Rock, Paper, Scissors

• Muten Rōshi (武天老師/Muten Roushi)
- Translation: Heavenly Old Martial Arts Master

• Kame Sen'nin (亀仙人/Kamesen'nin)
- "亀/Kame" directly translates to "turtle" while a "仙人/sen'nin" is a (usually) immortal saint/sage/spirit in Japanese folklore.

• Kinto'un (筋斗雲/Kinto'un)
- Translation: Somersault Cloud
- Named after Sūn Wùkōng's cloud (technique?) in Journey to the West. Its name is Jīndǒu Yún in Chinese.

• Paozu (パオズ/Paozu)
- Source: 包子/paozu
- Named after Chinese steamed buns, read as "baozi" in Chinese.

• Oolong (ウーロン/Uuron)
- Source: ウーロン茶/Uuron-cha
- Comes directly from Oolong Tea, without the "tea" of course.
- Spent wayyyy too long on this one. Decided to go with this instead of Wūlóng simply because it seems to be more common, at least where I live. I can go to the store and buy a bag of tea leaves that says "oolong".

• Gyūmaō (牛魔王/Gyuumaou)
- Translation: Bull Demonic King
- The name of a demon from Journey to the West, his name is Niú Mówáng in Chinese.

• Yumcha (ヤムチャ/Yamucha)
- Source: 飲茶/yamucha
- From the Chinese phrase "飲茶/Yum Cha" meaning to drink tea and eat dim sum.

• Pu'er (プーアル/Puuaru)
- Source: プーアル茶/Puuaru-cha
- Comes directly from Pu'er Tea, without the "tea" of course.

• Rōgafūfūken (狼牙風風拳/Rougafuufuuken)
- Translation: Wolf Fang Hurricane Fist

• Chichi (チチ/Chichi)
- Source: 乳/chichi
- Taken from the Japanese word 乳/chichi which can mean either breast or milk.

• Son Gohan (孫悟飯/Son Gohan)
- Source: ご飯/gohan
- Taken from the Japanese word "ご飯/gohan" which can mean either rice or just a meal in general. With the "ご/Go" portion switched out for the same "悟/Go" that is in "悟空/Gokū's" name.

• Bashō Fan (芭蕉扇/Bashousen)
- Translation: Banana Leaf Fan

• Kamehameha (かめはめ波/Kamehameha)
- Translation: Turtle "hame" Wave
- Taken from a king of Hawaii, and "かめ/Kame" is obviously supposed to invoke "亀/kame" from Kame Sen'nin. "はめ/Hame" seemingly doesn't come from anything other than the Hawaiian king's name, but could possibly be a shortening of "破滅/hametsu" which can mean destruction. And then "波", the final character, is the kanji for "wave".

• To/Usagi Ninjinka (波 人参化/To/Usagi Ninjinka)
- Translation: Rabbit who Turns People into Carrots
- The character for rabbit "波" can be read as both "To" and "Usagi". The manga specified that the character's name should be read as "To", but despite this the anime says the character's name as "Usagi".

• Shénlóng (神龍/Shenron)
- Translation: God Dragon

• Pilaf (ピラフ/Pirafu)
- Source: ピラフ/Pirafu

• Shū (シュウ/Shuu)
- Source: 焼売/shuumai

• Mai (マイ/Mai)
- Source: 焼売/shuumai

• Soba (ソバ/Soba)
- Source: 蕎麦/Soba

• Yī Xīng Qiú (一星球/Iishinchuu)
- Translation: One Star Ball

• Èr Xīng Qiú (二星球/Arushinchuu)
- Translation: Two Star Ball

• Sān Xīng Qiú (三星球/Sanshinchuu
- Translation: Three Star Ball

• Sì Xīng Qiú (四星球/Suushinchuu)
- Translation: Four Star Ball

• Wǔ Xīng Qiú (五星球/Uushinchuu)
- Translation: Five Star Ball

• Liú Xīng Qiú (六星球/Ryuushinchuu)
- Translation: Six Star Ball

• Qī Xīng Qiú (七星球/Chiishinchuu)
- Translation: Seven Star Ball

21st TENKA'ICHI BUDŌKAI ARC

• Kuririn (クリリン/Kuririn)
- Source: くりくり 坊主/kurikuribouzu (a term for someone with a clean-shaven shaven head.
- Later associated with 栗/kuri

• Ōrin Temple (多林寺/Oorin-ji)
- Translation: Many Trees Temple

• Lunch (ランチ/Ranchi)
- Source: ランチ/Ranchi (Lunch)

• Tenka'ichi Budōkai (天下一武道会/Tenka'ichi Budoukai)
- Translation: Number One Under Heaven Budō Gathering

• Namu (ナム/Namu)
- Source: 南無阿弥陀仏/Namu-amida-butsu (I take refuge in Amida Buddha)

• Giran (ギラン/Giran)
- Source: アンギラス/Angirasu (Anguirus), ラドン/Radon (Rodan)

• Bacterian (バクテリアン/Bakuterian)
- Source: バクテリア/bakuteria (Bacteria)

• Lanfoun (ラン ファン/Ranfan)
- Source: ランジェリー・ファンデーション/Ranjerii Fandeeshon (Lingerie Foundation)
- This one was tricky as it technically should be "Linfoun" but you lose the pronunciation of lingerie with that spelling, so I opted for "Lan" to try and preserve that.

• Jackie Chun (ジャッキー・チュン /Jakkii Chun)
- Source: ジャッキー・チェン/Jakkii Chen (Jackie Chan)

• Tenkūpekejiken (天空ペケ字拳/Tenkuupekejiken)
- Translation: Heavenly X Mark Fist

• Zanzōken (残像拳/Zanzouken)
- Translation: Afterimage Fist

• Suiken (酔拳/Suiken)
- Translation: Drunken Fist

• Saruken (猿拳/Saruken)
- Translation: Monkey Fist

• Yoikominminken (よいこ眠眠拳/Yoikominminken)
- Translation: Good Kid Sleep Sleep Technique

• Bankokubikkurishō (万国びっくり掌/Bankokubikkurishou)
- Translation: International Surprise Palm
Last edited by flipcakes on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: My Personal Names for Characters/Attacks/etc. What're yours?

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:05 pm

There is nothing particular about the names I give characters since I mostly use the official French manga translation. The translator is a thoughtful, long-time fan who is in charge of famous series like Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Attack on Titans, Dragon Quest, Seven Deadly Sins... and she has skillfully translated a lot of DB content through all the publications, including guide books, movies, spin-off mangas...
So it's a good way to have a coherent name databank for pretty much everything that exists regarding DB (only GT is lacking right now, but since Anime Comics do exist now, maybe in due time...).

But the specific thing that I do is that I adapt a few names depending on whether I'm speaking to French people or non-French people.

- I use Freezer with French people (it is the official French translation both for the anime and the manga), but I deem it probably awkward to read or hear for English-speaking people since it's like the real-life object. I know it can be the same for Lunch for example, but we're talking about a stylish bad guy here, so I make the effort to change it to Freeza when interacting with the English-speaking community. The situation has never come up until now, but out of coherency between the two brothers, I might also replace Cooler with Coola for English speakers.

- I use Transcendental Reflex in French, but that official French manga adaptation is pretty far from what the English translators chose. So because the international fans could wonder what I'm even talking about if I bring it up, I make the effort to use their own English term in that specific case, which is Ultra Instinct.

flipcakes

Post by flipcakes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:43 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:05 pm - I use Transcendental Reflex in French, but that official French manga adaptation is pretty far from what the English translators chose. So because the international fans could wonder what I'm even talking about if I bring it up, I make the effort to use their own English term in that specific case, which is Ultra Instinct.
That's actually a pretty cool translation! I've never heard that one before. I've never been a huge fan of Ultra Instinct as translation. Doesn't really capture the original meaning all that well. I was thinking maybe something like The Secret of Selfishness I think I saw Herms translate it as that once. But Transcendental Reflex is also a pretty good one. And it's awesome that there's such a passionate translater working on the French version.
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Since Beerus was supposed to be Virus but Akira Toriyama mistook "Birusu" for "Beers", I call his big blast thing the Corona for the perfect double pun that brings them both together.

But in all seriousness, I stick with the dub names with a few exceptions for most characters, mostly for convenience and the sake of coherent discussion. When it comes to attacks though, I go with a combination of Japanese names and appropriate equivalent translations that get the point across. Basically, if the Japanese attack name is intrinsically tied with the attack function or the character's identity, I think it's important for the English audience to get the same impression from it as the Japanese audience. (On the other hand, nobody bats an eye at Hadouken and Shoryuken :lol: )

However, if I were hypothetically in charge of a dub with a more faithful, logical translation convention:

Kaio-Sama - Cosmic Lord (or, as Piccolo calls him "The Cosmic Guy")
Dai Kaio - Chief Cosmic Lord
Kaioshin - Supreme Cosmic Lord
Dai Kaioshin - The Supreme Overlord, because Chief Supreme Cosmic Lord is just fucking ridiculous
Kaio-Ken - Cosmic Burst
Genki-Dama - Spirit Bomb

Piccolo Daimao - King Piccolo, with his full title being King of the Demons (Demon King Piccolo always came off as an awkward Japanese translation ie "Pirate King" vs. "King of the Pirates" because ____ King isn't really the western format for titles of that nature)
Makankosoppo - Devil Drill Cannon
Masenko - Demon Flash

Sokidon - Ki Missile
Kienzan - Ki Slicer

Kikoho - Now this one is interesting, because Kiko is a Japanese translation of Qiqong, so it depends on how much Chinese mysticism you want to retain. I would go with Spirit Cannon, though. Or dare I say, SPIRIT GUN :P

Muten Roshi - Divine Master (Or even Divine Sensei to get across the "Martial Arts Master" part of it!)
Kame-Senin - Turtle Hermit

Senzu - Sage Bean

Gyallic-Ho - Garlic Gun

Shen Long - Since this is another case of Chinese Mysticism a la Kinto'Un and Niyoi-Bo, I might actually keep this the same. If not, then Eternal Dragon.

That's all I can think of at the moment haha
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

flipcakes

Post by flipcakes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:02 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm Since Beerus was supposed to be Virus but Akira Toriyama mistook "Birusu" for "Beers", I call his big blast thing the Corona for the perfect double pun that brings them both together.
Lmao okay that's pretty good. I applaud you :clap:
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm Kaio-Sama - Cosmic Lord (or, as Piccolo calls him "The Cosmic Guy")
Dai Kaio - Chief Cosmic Lord
Kaioshin - Supreme Cosmic Lord
Dai Kaioshin - The Supreme Overlord, because Chief Supreme Cosmic Lord is just fucking ridiculous
Kaio-Ken - Cosmic Burst
Genki-Dama - Spirit Bomb
Oh those are pretty cool. I've never heard the Kaiō called that but it definitely works! Cosmic Burst is especially badass.
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Son Goku
Grandpa Gohan
Bulma- I don’t care if it’s suppose to be Blooma, all her clothes say Bulma goddamit.
Oolong
Pu-erh
Yamucha
Gyumao
Chi Chi
Pilaf
Mai
Shu
Kame Sennin
Lunch
Kuririn
Hachan
Upa
Fortune Teller Baba
Tenshinhan
Chaozu- Why even make the spelling of his name unnecessarily harder to remember Funimation ?
Piccolo Daimao
Kami or God depending on the mood
Piccolo (specified as Piccolo Jr only during the 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament)
Vegeta- We don’t eat our Bejitables
Turles
Kaio
Freeza- His name isn’t pronounced Fry Za
Jeice, Burter, Recoome, Guldo- Sorry the Funimation names are easier to remember
Cyborg/Androids/Artifical Human/Jinzo Ningens I don’t care
Bibbidi, Bobbodi, Boo- Imagine being Funimation and not getting the blatant pop culture reference
Oob- Because Boo not Buu
Saiyan- Or Saiyajin if I’m feeling pretentious
Genki Dama
Kinto Un
Compliant Staff- I never remember the proper name for Goku’s extending rod.
Roga Fufu Ken
Solar Flare- Only because I always have to look up Taiyoken
Makansoppaahippopatamus
Oozaru
Kienzan
Kikoho

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Freeza's family: the Cold Blooded (self explanatory).
Ultra Instincts: id, ego and super-ego (for each form).

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pm
Chaozu- Why even make the spelling of his name unnecessarily harder to remember Funimation ?
For Chiaotzu they went with the Chinese rendering that was likely provided to them at first. I believe this was partially why Tenshinhan got turned into Tien - that and sloppiness, since they probably went off of Chiaotzu calling him "Ten-san" too.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pmI believe this was partially why Tenshinhan got turned into Tien - that and sloppiness, since they probably went off of Chiaotzu calling him "Ten-san" too.
I always assumed it was just because they wanted to shorten his name to Ten to make it easier for American kids to remember, but didn't want them to think he was named after the number 10.

flipcakes

Post by flipcakes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Shobijin 小美人 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:16 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pmI believe this was partially why Tenshinhan got turned into Tien - that and sloppiness, since they probably went off of Chiaotzu calling him "Ten-san" too.
I always assumed it was just because they wanted to shorten his name to Ten to make it easier for American kids to remember, but didn't want them to think he was named after the number 10.
I think it may be a bit of both. But ironically, even though his name is Chinese, the Japanese reading is the correct one for his name. According to the furigana reading (テンシンハン) above the kanji for his name (天津飯). I think his may be the only Chinese inspired name to do that though.

But yeah I also get the feeling that Funimation just wanted to shorten his name and smashed the Japanese (Ten) and Chinese (Tiān) reading together for some reason and got "Tien".
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:58 pm

I call Goku's transformation to accommodate Ultra Instinct his 'Jinryoku Form' (or 'Divine Power Form'), just to maintain the distinction between Ultra Instinct as a technique (usable in any form), and the specific transformation Goku uses in order to use the technique in a completed fashion.

On Characters, I don't really like the name Merged Zamas, and so I prefer to go with Zamas2.

Sometimes I also play with a jokey Buu progression to myself, that I'd like to fill out and have the confidence to actually use at least semi-seriously, instead of the usual names:

Fat/Innocent Buu: Sweet Buu (plays on the innocence aspect, plus his fondness for candy; the following all play on this directly)
Thin Buu: Sour Buu
Super Buu: Sweet & Sour Buu
Super Gohan Buu/Super Buu 3: Sweet & Sour Buu with Rice

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm

flipcakes wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm • Blooma (ブルマ/Buruma)
- Source: (Bloomers)
This one could just as well be "Bloomers" for the character name as well. I don't think that Toriyama is necessarily playing with the Kana syllables in this one, but instead taking the character's name directly from the source word. From what I can gather, ブルマ/buruma appears to be a common spelling for the name of the gym shorts, perhaps even more so than ブルマー/burumaa.

As for Chiao Tzu, despite Funimation's pronunciation, that spelling is arguably more accurate than chaozu, which is just the Japanese approximation of the Chinese chiao-tzu/jiaozi.

flipcakes

Post by flipcakes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm
This one could just as well be "Bloomers" for the character name as well. I don't think that Toriyama is necessarily playing with the Kana syllables in this one, but instead taking the character's name directly from the source word. From what I can gather, ブルマ/buruma appears to be a common spelling for the name of the gym shorts, perhaps even more so than ブルマー/burumaa.
Ahhh I was curious about that, thanks for the info! I had always thought that it was a Freeza situation. Where フリーザー/furiizaa is "freezer" and フリーザ/Furiiza is "Freeza".
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm As for Chiao Tzu, despite Funimation's pronunciation, that spelling is arguably more accurate than chaozu, which is just the Japanese approximation of the Chinese chiao-tzu/jiaozi.
Does that mean spelling his name as "Jiaozi" would be more accurate if you're using Pinyin romanization? Since it's indicated that it has a foreign reading, it seems like it may be better to represent that in both spelling and pronunciation.
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 pm

flipcakes wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm
Ahhh I was curious about that, thanks for the info! I had always thought that it was a Freeza situation. Where フリーザー/furiizaa is "freezer" and フリーザ/Furiiza is "Freeza".
Yeah I think this is probably the assumption that is commonly made, but it's a different situation. I'm not even sure that buruma/burumaa was even supposed to be an exact approximation of the English "bloomer" when first introduced into Japan, but just derived from it. Of course the possibility still exists that Toriyama did actually intend for the character name to be a play on the source word, but that has never been stated.

flipcakes wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm As for Chiao Tzu, despite Funimation's pronunciation, that spelling is arguably more accurate than chaozu, which is just the Japanese approximation of the Chinese chiao-tzu/jiaozi.
Does that mean spelling his name as "Jiaozi" would be more accurate if you're using Pinyin romanization? Since it's indicated that it has a foreign reading, it seems like it may be better to represent that in both spelling and pronunciation.
Yes, under the Pinyin standard, "Jiaozi" would be the accurate spelling of the character's name. Of course, the same would go for several other characters whose names are taken from Chinese but are still romanized using the Wade-Giles standard.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:54 pm

flipcakes wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm So yeah that's about it. Please tell me if I've gotten anything wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also, feel free to ask how I arrived at certain things, I'd be happy to explain.
Off the top of my head...
- Source: ブルマー/burumaa (Bloomers)
ブルマ is a very common spelling for the garment she's named after, so this is one of those instances of Toriyama just using a word as is. You see this with her other family members too, they all just use the source word directly as names.
Also, while it technically does come from the word "bloomers", nobody in Japan thinks of bloomers when they read ブルマ, they think of the girls' gym shorts of the same name, which were named after bloomers because they kind of resembled them ages ago. From what I've seen, these tend to be referred to as "buruma" in English.
flipcakes wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm • Kuririn (クリリン/Kuririn)
- Source: 栗/kuri, 少林/Shourin
This is one of those weird myths I have no idea where came from. Kuririn's name comes from "kurikuribouzu", a term for someone with a clean-shaven head, with a cutesy "-rin" ending thrown onto it. Toriyama has said he didn't figure the character would be around for more than a few chapters, so he just gave him a really lazy and halfassed name, kinda like calling him Baldy in English. He'd later start associating the 栗 kanji with the character and ultimately ran completely with the chestnut theme when he gave him a daughter named Maron after the French word for chestnut, marron, but none of this was the original source of the name.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:38 am

Super Saiyan Madness <- Broly's green SS form. I theorized that it was his lost grip of reality that led to a state of no return through power and transformation. Since Trunks kept anger and calm in equilibrium through Super Saiyan Rage, I figured that its yellow and blue mixed in an ill colored form, and that it represented Broly's imbalanced nature.

flipcakes

Post by flipcakes » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 am

Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:54 pm You see this with her other family members too, they all just use the source word directly as names.
That's a really good point, I'd never thought of that before. I'm thinking I'm probably going to refer to her as Bloomers.
Adamant wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:54 pm
flipcakes wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm • Kuririn (クリリン/Kuririn)
- Source: 栗/kuri, 少林/Shourin
This is one of those weird myths I have no idea where came from. Kuririn's name comes from "kurikuribouzu", a term for someone with a clean-shaven head, with a cutesy "-rin" ending thrown onto it. Toriyama has said he didn't figure the character would be around for more than a few chapters, so he just gave him a really lazy and halfassed name, kinda like calling him Baldy in English. He'd later start associating the 栗 kanji with the character and ultimately ran completely with the chestnut theme when he gave him a daughter named Maron after the French word for chestnut, marron, but none of this was the original source of the name.
Ah, again you're totally right. I completely forgot about the "kurikuribouzu" source. Though I never knew that it was the original source, I always had it in my head that he had the chestnut theme and "kurikuribouzu" from the start. Thanks!
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:50 am

flipcakes wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 am Ah, again you're totally right. I completely forgot about the "kurikuribouzu" source. Though I never knew that it was the original source, I always had it in my head that he had the chestnut theme and "kurikuribouzu" from the start. Thanks!
Unless I'm missing something, I believe the first time anything related to chestnuts was ever associated with the character was this title page:

Prior to that though, why would anyone assume his name had anything to do with chestnuts? Nothing about the character itself has any relation to it, there aren't any other characters around with similarly themed names, so it'd be a pretty random pick.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

flipcakes

Post by flipcakes » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm back and this time doing Saiyajin names! I originally planned to go in order through the series but I was getting a bit burnt out so I decided I'd just go in chunks and do different groups until I'm all done.

As always please let me know if anything's wrong, if I missed one, or if you have any questions! And let's hear some of your personal names for characters/places/things. I love having conversations about these types of things!

Saiyajin Names

• Saiyajin (サイヤ人/Saiyajin)
- Source: 野菜/Yasai (Vegetable)
- Since this is a made up race, I chose to keep it as it is in Japanese. I'm not going to do this for things that actually exist (地球人 = Earthling, not "Earthjin"). It's still a bit weird for me to see since I'm so used to "Saiyan", but it is nice that it matches up exactly with what characters are saying.

• Kakarotto (カカロット/Kakarotto)
- Source: キャロット/kyarotto
- English Source: Carrot
- Special case, under normal circumstances I'd definitely use"Kakarrot" because of it sharing that hard (ット/tto) ending with its source word. But because of that not meshing well with his merged name with Vegēta (Veget?) I opted to use the exact romanization.

• Vegēta (ベジータ/Bejiita)
- Source: ベジタブル/bejitaburu
- English Source: Vegetable
- Drops the (ブル/buru) and elongates the middle syllable.

• Radits (ラディッツ/Radittsu)
- Source: ラディッシュ/radisshu
- English Source: Radish
- Not sure why the "Raditz" spelling is so widely used. Nothing wrong with it really I just don't know why a "Z" is used and not an "S".

• Nappa (ナッパ/Nappa)
- Source: 菜っ葉/nappa (Leafy greens)
- Same pronunciation as the source word.

• Burdack (バーダック/Baadakku)
- Source: バードック/baadokku
- English Source: Burdock
- While (バー) can be translated as "bar", since it's written that way when spelling the original English word I feel it should still be "bur". And then the second half is different. So since the character's name uses (ダック/dakku) and not (ドック/dokku), I went with "-dack" instead of "-dock".

• Tōma (トーマ/Tooma)
- Source: トマト/tomato
- English Source: Tomato
- The first syllable elongated and the last syllable is removed.

• Selypa (セリパ/Seripa)
- Source: パセリ/paseri
- English Source: Parsley
- Bit of a weird one, originally I had "Sleypar" but that doesn't sound all that much like the actual pronunciation. I go back and forth on this one but I think the "Selypa" spelling still gets the pun across and preserves the pronunciation.

• Totappo (トテッポ/Toteppo)
- Source: ポテト/poteto
- English Source: Potato
- Takes the beginning syllable (ポ/Po), sticks it on the end and modifies it to (ッポ/ppo). Also swaps the (テ/te) and (ト/to) syllables.

• Pumbukin (パンブーキン/Panbuukin)
- Source: パンプキン/panpukin
- English Source: Pumpkin
- Almost the same as the source word. But the (プ/pu) syllable was swapped for (ブ/bu) as well as elongated. I went for "Pumbukin" instead of "Pumbūkin" as that syllable doesn't exist in English (pump-kin vs pan-pu-kin). So adding the single "U" to my English adaptation accomplishes the same thing.

• Broli (ブロリー/Burorii)
- Source: ブロッコリー/burokkorii
- English Source: Broccoli
- Pretty simple one, the (ッコ/kko) portion is just removed.

• Paragus (パラガス/Paragasu)
- Source: アスパラガス/asuparagasu
- English Source: Asparagus
- Like father like son, another easy one. The beginning *アス/asu) is just removed.

• Tāble (ターブル/Taaburu)
- Source: ベジタブル/bejitaburu
- English Source: Vegetable
- Taken from the second half of "vegetable" with its first syllable elongated. Can also be accomplished with "Tarble" but I'm just staying consistent with myself.

• Tullece (ターレス/Taaresu)
- Source: レタス/retasu
- English Source: Lettuce
- Easy ones are over, still not 100% sure how to do this one but this seems like the best way to me. Otherwise I end up with something like "Ttulece" which isn't great. "Tullece" does a pretty good job with the swapping of the "T" and "L". Not sure how to convey that elongated syllable (Tuhllece?).

• Gine (ギネ/Gine)
- Source: 葱/negi (Green onion)
- Just reverses the syllables of the source word.

• Cabbe (キャベ/Kyabe)
- Source: キャベツ/Kyabetsu
- English Source: Cabbage
- Would be "Cabba" if pronunciation wasn't a factor, but since the second half of cabbage rhymes more with "hedge" than "badge" we get "Cabbe".

• Kale (ケール/Keeru)
- Source: ケール/Keeru
- English Source: Kale
- Taken exactly from the source word.

• Caulifla (カリフラ/Karifura)
- Source: カリフラワー/Karifurawaa
- English Source: Cauliflower
- Taken from the English word "cauliflower" with the "-wer" ending removed. Another pronunciation one, technically would be "Cauliflo" but that would be pronounced "Cauliflow" so the "a" preserves the pronunciation.

• Beets (ビーツ/Biitsu)
- Source: ビーツ/Biitsu
- English Source: Beets

• Leek (リーク/Riiku)
- Source: リーク/Riiku, リーキ/Riiki
- English Source: Leek
- This character's name is taken from an alternate, but still used, spelling for the leek vegetable. So his name is the same as the source. Though if you feel like it should be different I guess it could be something like "Leec" or "Leeke".

• Taro (タロ/Taro)
- Source: タロ/Taro
- English Source: Taro

• Moroko (モロコ/Moroko)
- Source: トウモロコシ/Toumorokoshi (Corn/maize)
- Same as the source word with the beginning (トウ/Tou) and ending (シ/Shi) removed.

• Shitō (シトウ/Shitou)
- Source:トウモロコシ/Toumorokoshi (Corn/maize)
- Same Source word as Moroko. With the ending (シ/Shi) moved to the front with the beginning (トウ/Tou).
夢中になれる モノが
いつか君を すげぇ奴にするんだ

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:25 am

Tien
Krillin
Master Roshi
Mercenary Tao / Tao
Cooler
Pikkon
King Kai
Supreme Kai
God of Destruction/Destroyer
Grand Supreme Kai
The Grand Minister and Grand Priest (fine with both)
Android
Fortune Teller Baba
Toppo
Goku Son / Gohan Son / Goten Son - surname comes LAST
Great Ape and Oozaru (fine with both)
Wrathful
Legendary Super Saiyan

Destructo Disc
Special Beam Cannon
Flying Nimbus
Evil Containment Wave and Mafuba (fine with both)
Solar Flare
Spirit Bomb
Ultra Instinct Sign
Perfected Ultra Instinct

Saiyan
Tuffle
The Hyperrbolic Time Chamber