Best received Dragon Ball arc?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Best received Dragon Ball arc?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 pm

• Search for the Dragon Balls
  • 21st Tenkaichi Budokai
  • Red Ribbon Army / Fortuneteller Baba
  • 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
  • Piccolo Daimao
  • 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
  • Saiyan
  • Namek / Freeza
  • Artificial Human / Cell
  • Great Saiyaman / Majin Buu
Which has the most rave among audiences and critics alike?

Personally, I'd say the Namek / Freeza arc is overall the best received. While the Artificial Human / Cell arc is more popular, there are plenty of people who dislike it or at least many aspects of it while no one really hates on the Namek / Freeza arc (outside the horrible pacing in the Z anime).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Best received Dragon Ball arc?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 pm

How are we quantifying this? Tv ratings? Personal observations? I don’t think you’re going to find too many professional critic reviews on the various Dragon Ball arcs.

I’d say Namek/Freeza is the most famous arc but not necessarily the best received. The length of the Freeza vs Goku fight in the anime is a joke to fans and non-fans alike. Sure, that’s not true for the manga but I think people’s experience with the anime spills over to their perception of the manga.

The Piccolo and Saiyan arcs are probably the best received. I rarely see too many complaints of the arcs and they tend to be somewhere on top of most fans list.

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:36 pm

It has to be the Namek / Freeza arc.

Freeza is the most iconic, and arguably popular, continuous villain in DB having returned multiple times in one way or another (mecha, revived RoF, fought in ToP revived afterword, Broly movie), and the decision to bring them back over any other previous villain signals, in a business sense, that when it comes to DB as a franchise most people will think of the Freeza as the defining DB villain. Combine that with DBZ battles being forever stereotyped as taking forever and endless screaming because of the Freeza fight and the original SSJ transformation that everyone and their brother knows about, you have every inclination to believe that the zeitgeist of DB is the Freeza arc without mentioning any of the other reasons.

Andrioid / Cell is good, but a lack of clarity and focus because of the editing decisions made throughout the Android section really hampers the overall story, and likely, the overall public rating/reception because of that.

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:05 pm

It’s been mentioned before, but I think that the Frieza arc is the most well received arc in the series. The Saiyan arc comes a close second but the Frieza arc established a lot of the tropes the series would follow to even now. Frieza himself is enduringly popular, the Super Saiyan transformation is an icon in super powers, and the characters relevant to that story have been the only ones able to maintain something resembling relevance.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:48 pm

I'd say the Cell saga as the Freeza saga while mostly well-received also got a lot of complaints for being too long and drawn out and that there were too many episodes with not much happening(one of which was almost a clip-show), whereas I never really heard those same complaints about Cell/Androids.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku