What are the things you like about DBS Anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

What are the things you like about DBS Anime?

Post by super michael » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:07 pm

I created this thread so people can talk about what they like about DBS. Here are the things I like about DBS.

I like the powerful God and Angel in DBS and I like how Goku and Vegeta train with this power beings, the fact that Goku and Vegeta train together is great. The idea of God Ki is good.

The ToP was actually really good, seeing many universe fight in a battle royal to survive. Some of the team work fight in those episode was really good and Ultra Instinct was really good how it look and works.

The slice of life episode are really good, we got to see how the characters lives their daily lifes and some episode was interesting like the baseball episode.

There are more but those are the things I remember from the top of my head. DBS Anime has its good quality.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: What are the things you like about DBS Anime?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:31 pm

Literally everything about Zamasu's characterization:

- His backstory with Gowasu, the portrayal of his slow descent into madness which is believable and well done. His philosophical debates with Gowasu are an incredibly complex aspect of this arc and Super as a whole, Dragon Ball was definitely the last show that I expected to feature a philosophical debate about life and the universe between the main "villain" and a "good guy" (the terms are used loosely).

- His personality is entertaining to me, a lot of people complain about his speeches but if anything I find his over-the-top and vainglorious speeches funny, especially since they make people so salty. Zamasu is just so quotable honestly. I also really liked the moment when Zamasu cried, a lot of people found it pathetic but I didn't. It was a brilliant way to show Zamasu's more "human" side (how ironic) and how in the end he genuinely thought he was doing the right thing.

- Everything about Fused Zamasu. He looks, talks, acts, feels like an actual Supreme God. The fact that he has a literal radiant halo and constantly hovers above the ground looking down on the entire world is just splendid portrayal.

- The whole mystery of Goku Black which was frankly perfectly done. Not too drawn-out but also not rushed like in the manga. It was done well because it wasn't that obvious who Goku Black was (after all how could Goku be alive in the Future timeline when he was slain by the androids?), and in hindsight his reveal as Zamasu makes perfect sense and everything simply becomes clear. His rhetoric about purging mortals to save the world, his mannerisms, his green Potara just like Gowasu's, etc. It was very well done. It doesn't feel like an "asspull" or something forced, it was all set-up right from the beginning and all the hints and pieces match perfectly. But frankly when it comes to the Future Trunks arc, you can easily tell that it was made at a time when the anime was the main material, and the manga was just a side promotional thing. The manga completely rushed everything and No, it wasn't because Toyotaro wanted to do things differently, it's because he knew everyone had already watched the arc anyway. So for example there was no reason to focus extensively on Zamasu's backstory or the mystery of Goku Black when people already knew everything about this from the anime. And the anime indeed explained Zamasu's origins, philosophy, and ideology perfectly, Zamasu is an incredibly fleshed-out villain thanks to the anime.

- The OST but that is self-explanatory, like just go listen to a compilation of Super themes on Youtube.

Aside from the Future Trunks arc, the following episodes were 100/10: 109, 110, 116, 130, 131. The ToP arc was full of fodders that wasted my time, but in the end it was worth it just because of that beautiful finale. I don't really feel like explaining why these episodes were beautiful because it should be self-explanatory.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:40 pm

I really enjoy Super. There are plenty of things that I can nitpick, but it's just overall enjoyable. Makes me feel like I'm reunited with old friends when I watch/read it.

There was something about each arc that I enjoyed -- yes, even the Beerus and Freeza arcs.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm

There is another threat about this exact topic, fam
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:46 pm

The return of tournaments, Beerus & Whis, Monaka, Zuno (the guy who answers anyone's three questions).
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:58 pm

-The animation gets really good later on.

-Some of the comedy really works.

-The Black arc and ToP arc both have some really great moments.

-I actually like Sumitomo's score. I thought it was good in Kai TFC, and is good in Super too.

-Ultra Instinct is a really cool and interesting form based on real life flow states.

-Gohan's comeback was mostly really well handled. I loved seeing him train with Piccolo again, and the pep talks Piccolo gave him were awesome. The only thing I'd add is showing him training every now and then throughout the series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Gohan finally putting it all together

Vegeta going further in his development.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:30 pm

I like Vegeta and Bulma acting somewhat like a couple. I’m drawing a blank at any romantic moments between them in the original story

I liked Gohan’s character arc

I liked the first ending song (the English version anyways) shame they ruined a good thing by changing the song every 13 episodes and most of them being crap. (Boogie Back was okay)

I liked that we got two fully realized tournament arcs after the last tournament arc in the original story merely ended up being a decoy for the real conflict

I liked the U6 Saiyans, which I’m apparently a minority in.

I like the balls it took Toei to say the Tournament of Power tournament was only 48 minutes given what a meme “5 minutes on Namek” was

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 pm

I think what I like most about Super was how Toriyama it felt. I know he had very minimal involvement in the story, but it still felt like a much more light hearted depiction of the universe.

But with the concepts Toriyama submitted, I feel like the story had no choice but to infuse the epic stories that Dragon Ball would standardized with the more silly aspects of Toriyama’s works. Which I’m totally down for and like. It felt like a breath of fresh air considering how works like GT, video games, and fan works I feel popularized the more aggressive and outlandishly violent aspects of the franchise.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:20 am

I agree with everyone else. I would improve upon a few things but otherwise I really liked Super and could feel the staff getting excited about the story in the later arcs. If I had to highlight one aspect it would be Tomioka Atsuhiro's involvement. He's my favorite anime writer and I really enjoyed his scripts, especially when his trademark battle strategies came into play.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 am

-U6 Tournament, it really blew my mind, and got the show going.
-Black's characterization
-Champa
-the second part of the ToP
-most of the filler scenes
-Gohan and Vegeta
-the animation after episode 95.
-episode 130 and 131

edit: the soundtrack from the Black arc onwards.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:59 pm

+The animation, art, and fight choreography during and after the FT arc. It just kept getting better and better and Super became a joy to watch for that alone.

+The character writing is better than the manga. Krillin and Gohan had some great story beats and character growth that were unfortunately limited by Toriyama san's outline. Pointing out Gohan's fatal combat flaws was ballsy and was the perfect bow to tie into him reaching the next level. Gohan doesn't get this sort of development in the manga, though at the very least he doesn't backtrack as much as he does in the anime.

That extended to the other universes. I loved the U6 Namekians and how they were the last fighters left for U6. Obuni was likewise a much more interesting character thanks to Toei's writers. That creativity extended to the way each fighter fought as well. Seeing how the manga treated most of the tournament fighters, the anime really spoiled us by giving them unique abilities, personalities, and fighting styles.

+Character dynamics such as what developed between Goku, Kale, and Caulifla or Piccolo and the U6 Namekians or Vegeta and Roshi and interesting rivalries that blossomed like Krillin vs Majora, Frieza and Vegeta vs Toppo.

+And of course, God of Destruction Toppo. I so wanted him to be the final antagonist of the ToP.

+The Hype!!! Even when the writing absolutely sucked, you could always count on the hype of the latest DBS episode to give you a Spirit Bomb dose of energy. I've never seen any anime provide as much pure hype as DBS did on a weekly basis.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:17 pm

I love the mind boggling size of the Super Dragon. He's apparently so big he has to project a smaller almost hallucination version of himself just so people can perceive him.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Dragon Ball Super's score, especially towards the end, was simply incredible. So many hype bangers. Ultimate Battle may be a little cheesy, but I don't think any Dragon Ball song has captured the essence of Goku's character so well. You've also got Dream Tag Match, Final Death Match, Birth of a God, Golden Freeza's Theme, Limit Break X Survivor (and its many variations).

My estimation of the anime's Tournament of Power arc has gone down somewhat, I still think it's a damn solid, entertaining arc, and probably the anime's best overall. I have to give enormous props to Toei for massively expanding Toriyama's evidently barebones yet insanely ambitious outline. Around 100 new named characters (counting mortals, gods and angels) being introduced in a single arc is unheard of, yet they gave many of them memorable designs, personalities and techniques. Yeah, they took a lot of weird liberties in some places and stretched it out to the brink, but I never really got bored unlike some.

As ABED said, the return of tournament arcs in general is very welcome for me, as the Universe 6 arc was really solid too, probably a close second-favourite actually.

The art direction really improved towards the end.

Great new villains, each one different from the usual Dragon Ball mould. A cold assassin with an honourable heart, a genocidal god who slowly descends into villainy, a stoic superhero who believes absolute strength is all that matters.

The VAs gave it their all throughout and were clearly loving the new material, after decades of repeating the same Raditz-Buu shit for video game adaptations ad nauseum (though unfortunately, they still do).

Showing plenty of interesting character interactions and slice-of-life stuff. The show generally has a much more human touch.

One thing that the DBS anime did extremely well is actually convey the feeling that these characters are god-level beings powerful beyond comprehension. The power-scaling may be all over the place (so I'm told), but f*ck it, Goku creates a miniature friggin' galaxy simply by exhaling. The sheer scale of power displayed was off the charts.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:23 am

- Some of the Universe 6 Tournament fights

- Goku meeting Frieza in Hell

- Majin Buu's fight in the preliminary tournament

- The Roshi centric episodes The Tournament of Power

- The Android 17 centric episodes in the Tournament of Power and his fights with Toppo/Top and Jiren

- The scene where Goku and Zamasu switch bodies

- The Broly movie

- Masako Nozawa's performance as Goku Black

- James Marsters' performance as Zamasu

- Brian Drummond's performance as Copy Vegeta

- The ending of the show

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:13 am

If you mean the anime specifically and not super generally then I guess the theme tunes.

Otherwise the manga is better.
The anime had a few tweaks that were better than the movies like rof Goku getting hurt in base I guess.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Peach wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:23 am - Masako Nozawa's performance as Goku Black
My favorite performance in the entire show ... maybe even all of anime. So much menace! Anime Goku Black always chewed up all the scenery.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Yeah honestly Nozawa as Goku Black was one of the best performances in Super, although personally Fused Zamasu's performance in ep. 66 (in both sub and dub) remains the best voice performance in the entire show.

Regardless I am happy that Black came back in Heroes, it's always a pleasure to listen to Nozawa voicing someone who isn't naive and primitive.

Oh and I should probably add the Dub of Super as one of the things I really liked, it was done very well and all the voice actors played their part well. Now I seem to recall that there were some major mistakes like "Hit of Universe 11" from the ToP arc, but the voice performances themselves were amazing. Plus I never expected Dragon Ball to use the insult "son of a bitch" and twice in the same arc, so that's something.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 pm

1. Unintentional comedy

2. How it diversified what was originally just DBZ sub vs dub fandom into several others it's mind-blowing to even think abt

3. Wonderful animation, musical score & it's air-tight, water-tight pacing with fantastic villains such as Ningen sorry Zamasu, Super Buu oops Jiren. Yeah. Those are my 2 cents. Thank you ✨

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm

The Zamasu arc has some bonehead moments (why did they travel between timelines with no plan and get their asses kicked...TWICE) but it's a good, original arc for Dragon Ball.

The animation is better at times than anything DB had put out up to that point.

Ultra Instinct is a great non-saiyan-related lore addition.

Beerus and Whis are legitimately entertaining, though I wish Whis was more directly involved with the story.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃