Looking for Pioneer subtitles

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Looking for Pioneer subtitles

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 pm

I'm looking for Pioneer subtitles for the Ocean Z movies but I am having no luck finding them. Does anyone happen to have any lying around?

Many thanks in advance!!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Looking for Pioneer subtitles

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:48 pm

If you get the Pioneer dvds from Ebay or Amazon they have them

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:48 pm If you get the Pioneer dvds from Ebay or Amazon they have them
I thought about that lol I have the rock the Dragon set, but I'm planning on making a Ocean Bluray set and adding the pioneer subtitles as a bonus kinda thing.

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:41 am

Is there a way of extracting the subtitle files from the dvds? I don't really know about how to do that but I'd be willing to try it.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Shobijin 小美人 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:41 am Is there a way of extracting the subtitle files from the dvds? I don't really know about how to do that but I'd be willing to try it.
There is, I used to do it years ago. You have to have a program (I think mine was sub or subtitle rip?) and you have to basically OCR them because the DVD subtitles are an image

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Subtitle Edit has an OCR feature for DVD/BD subs, though I've found it really struggles with certain typesetting in DVD resolution: (https://nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/). You could also use MakeMKV and then MKVExtract to rip the subtitles without converting them, but I don't think you'd be able to edit them without using OCR first.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:58 pm

I'll give that a shot :)

I ended up skipping subs because my bluray making program kept messing up the timing.. but since I was doing a rock the dragon style set it's no biggie.

Thank you everyone for the help!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:50 pm

For future reference, I found SubRip to be the best DVD subtitle extraction program. It has learning OCR, so once you spend some time having it learn every lowercase/uppercase letter, number, and sign, it tends to OCR quickly. I like that it asks you to type in any character it doesn't recognize instead of just guessing it and having you end up with "\/\/hY l5 1t tylo1ng 1lke th15?"

I did the whole series with SubRip. But, of course, some things don't have subtitles (namely the dub). Had to improvise on that. I ended up captioning the entire Ocean dub of Z by hand. And I have the whole dub of Z captioned (including the first episodes that Funimation neglected to subtitle on its releases).

I started on this project for 1) easy access to quotes, etc. and 2) to one day be able to put the dubs up against the original and map out all of the changes. But yeah, these projects take up way too much time lol But everyone needs a hobby, right?

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:22 pm

I just saw this post today. Only movies 2 and 3 have dubtitles. Easiest way to extract them is to use MakeMKV on the ISO (or disc) to generate an MKV file of the movie, and then use MKV Extract to pull out the sub files. To do anything with them you'll have to OCR, however, which you can use SubtitleEdit to do. I've already done this myself however I haven't corrected the OCR at all yet, but if you want them in their present state then I have them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 pm

ikaos wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:22 pm I just saw this post today. Only movies 2 and 3 have dubtitles. Easiest way to extract them is to use MakeMKV on the ISO (or disc) to generate an MKV file of the movie, and then use MKV Extract to pull out the sub files. To do anything with them you'll have to OCR, however, which you can use SubtitleEdit to do. I've already done this myself however I haven't corrected the OCR at all yet, but if you want them in their present state then I have them.
Wouldnt hurt to have them for future ideas. Thank you :)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:37 am

ikaos wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:22 pm I just saw this post today. Only movies 2 and 3 have dubtitles. Easiest way to extract them is to use MakeMKV on the ISO (or disc) to generate an MKV file of the movie, and then use MKV Extract to pull out the sub files. To do anything with them you'll have to OCR, however, which you can use SubtitleEdit to do. I've already done this myself however I haven't corrected the OCR at all yet, but if you want them in their present state then I have them.
SubRip. It's way easier than all that.