At its core, why is Dragon Ball so loved?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

baconisbacc

At its core, why is Dragon Ball so loved?

Post by baconisbacc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:50 am

After catching up on the entire One Piece manga in 2 months, I started wondering what at its core, made Dragon Ball so unbelievably beloved.
Going past the cool action, and Badass transformations, what makes Dragon Ball tick?
"YOU SAY I'M ARROGANT, I SAY DAMN RIGHT. THAT'S PRIDE. PRIDE IN THE SAIYAN I AM."
Tenkaichi Tag Team Pro

Ardent Aigis Simp

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: At its core, why is Dragon Ball so loved?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:34 am

Probably a combination of nostalgia (we grew up with it), and how innovative it was at the time.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 am

I think the main reason is that it is so much fun. It is also extremely accessible and charming, it doesn't require the casual viewer to be up to date with the story to find enjoyment. You can just sit down and watch it, whether that be a full episode or some random recommended clips on YouTube. I have seen plenty of anime and manga that I would consider better, but Dragon Ball is the one show that never gets boring for me no matter how many times I watch or read it. I often find myself being drawn back to Dragon Ball after finishing a series, to refresh my palate before getting invested in another story.

baconisbacc

Post by baconisbacc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:34 am Probably a combination of nostalgia (we grew up with it), and how innovative it was at the time.
Nostalgia is definitely a big factor for me
"YOU SAY I'M ARROGANT, I SAY DAMN RIGHT. THAT'S PRIDE. PRIDE IN THE SAIYAN I AM."
Tenkaichi Tag Team Pro

Ardent Aigis Simp

baconisbacc

Post by baconisbacc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:55 am

The Accountant wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 am I think the main reason is that it is so much fun. It is also extremely accessible and charming, it doesn't require the casual viewer to be up to date with the story to find enjoyment. You can just sit down and watch it, whether that be a full episode or some random recommended clips on YouTube. I have seen plenty of anime and manga that I would consider better, but Dragon Ball is the one show that never gets boring for me no matter how many times I watch or read it. I often find myself being drawn back to Dragon Ball after finishing a series, to refresh my palate before getting invested in another story.
Totally agree with you, my first experience with Dragon Ball was episode 1 of the Buu saga. And I was already crying when Vegeta's sacrifice came around, even though I knew very little about him, I was pulled in.
Tenkaichi Tag Team Pro

Ardent Aigis Simp

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:06 am

The Accountant wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 am I think the main reason is that it is so much fun. It is also extremely accessible and charming, it doesn't require the casual viewer to be up to date with the story to find enjoyment. You can just sit down and watch it, whether that be a full episode or some random recommended clips on YouTube. I have seen plenty of anime and manga that I would consider better, but Dragon Ball is the one show that never gets boring for me no matter how many times I watch or read it. I often find myself being drawn back to Dragon Ball after finishing a series, to refresh my palate before getting invested in another story.
I think a lot of it's this--it's intensely easy to watch or read and enjoy; it's exciting, tongue-and-cheek when it needs to be, which keeps it enjoyable even as an adult--and it comes with Toriyama's general level of craft in action presentation, humor, and creating an accessible, fun story.

I think another important factor is also its willingness to play sincerely with the passage of time. I don't think we'd be talking nearly as much about it had Toriyama not insisted the cast age, quite considerably, progressively as the series went on. It helps give it a distinction and odd sincerity among other shonen action series that might try to outdo it.

Super, for example, is fun as a fan, but just "fun." It lacks that second, weirdly sincere second element (in addition to as high a level of craft in either version, but it's really hard to overstate how insane a comics god Toriyama is; we're talking one of the medium's best ever).

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:32 pm

I can't help thinking that "love" and "popularity" may be blurred here...

Anyway, it's got a simple but engaging plot, the characters are eccentric but lovable, the action and artwork are stunning.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:41 pm

It has a little bit of everything that makes it the perfect marketing combo (in spite of being mostly one man's vision) to attract the widest amount of demographics possible. The slice of life and comedic adventures appeal broadly to young children and women, the bombastic gritty fighting appeals broadly to teenagers and men. It captures the hardcore nerd and casual audience simultaneously. In the modern world's increasing political polarization, it also finds its way into both right and left-leaning social circles somehow.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:47 pm

It's the delicate combination of a lot of things , the balance of drama/comedy, world building, likable characters, unique Toriyama designs, and the over the top battles. No other show really has everything like Dragon Ball, except maybe it's successor (in my mind) One Piece. Which in some ways improves on the foundation DB set (such as the world building x100times over, using its secondary characters better, and having an even better emotional core/ comedy ratio).
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Great action, fun likable characters, memorable artwork.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:56 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm Great action, fun likable characters, memorable artwork.
This + the power fantasy and catharsis fantasy aspects
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:33 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm Great action, fun likable characters, memorable artwork.
I agree with that 100% and for me I also enjoy the training scenes. Doing extraordinary training makes it enjoyable for me since it looks cool.
Seeing martial art + ki attack makes it look good. I also enjoy characters transforming and character fusing.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Distinctive art style, great use of drama and suspense, endearing and well-rounded characters, and great pacing (the manga, at least). Like someone else said, it also benefitted for being innovative for its time.

For the east, it popularized and even create many tropes common in Shonen today while for the west, it has continuous storylines and was really violent for a kid's show.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:28 pm

The combination of the unique sense of humor, extreme and well choreographed fight scenes as well as a mix of traditional and pop culture, in another words: the talent of the autor. :clap:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:57 pm

I keep misreading the title as "Why is Dragon Ball so lewd?" And I am infinitely disappointed that this was a kid's comic.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 pm

The original run of Dragonball/DBZ is probably the pinnacle of anime storytelling. It's the "Citizen Kane" of anime.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:07 pm

precita wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 pm The original run of Dragonball/DBZ is probably the pinnacle of anime storytelling. It's the "Citizen Kane" of anime.
On the off l-chance that you-re being sincere: no, it's not. Please read comics from before 1984. Heck, Ashita no Joe is closer to Citizen Kane than Dragon Ball is.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:59 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:07 pm
precita wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 pm The original run of Dragonball/DBZ is probably the pinnacle of anime storytelling. It's the "Citizen Kane" of anime.
On the off l-chance that you-re being sincere: no, it's not. Please read comics from before 1984. Heck, Ashita no Joe is closer to Citizen Kane than Dragon Ball is.
What makes Ashita no Joe really good? I have never read the manga, so I am curious to hear some of its good qualities.

I would watch it now, but I can't at the moment since I can't watch videos at the moment.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am

#StopComparingEverythingToCitizenKaneEspeciallyWhenItsCompletelyUnwarranted2021Challenge

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am
#StopComparingEverythingToCitizenKaneEspeciallyWhenItsCompletelyUnwarranted2021Challenge
okay but we can all agree that Akira Toriyama is the Stanley Kubrick of anime drawing, right?