At its core, why is Dragon Ball so loved?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: At its core, why is Dragon Ball so loved?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:29 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:25 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 pm I know what a dark comedy is. But a good dark comedy should have SOME laughs otherwise it's just dark.

yeah, I think the comparison is silly for as much as I don't like most of Kubrick's work, he has a sense of integration and a meticulousness that's obvious, whereas Toriyama is clearly making it all up as he goes along.
Which is why I knew it was clearly intended as a joke and have no idea why it's produced such a discussion :lol:
Hey guys, Toriyama is a better writer than Dostoevsky, Hemingway, and Shakespeare combined. Discuss. :lolno:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 pm

"Toriyama" & "Kubrick" in the same sentence??? I must've entered the Twilight Zone: where Kubrick directed the DB movie and had Hiromi Tsuru scream about Goku taking off her panties for 120 takes until he felt that she delivered the line right.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:57 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 pm I know what a dark comedy is. But a good dark comedy should have SOME laughs otherwise it's just dark.

yeah, I think the comparison is silly for as much as I don't like most of Kubrick's work, he has a sense of integration and a meticulousness that's obvious, whereas Toriyama is clearly making it all up as he goes along.
Keep in mind, I never even said that Kubrick’s work is objectively superior to Toriyama’s. I just said that if there is a Stanley Kubrick in the world of anime, it’s definitely not Akira Toriyama. He’s about as far removed from Kubrick as it gets.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Which is why I knew it was clearly intended as a joke and have no idea why it's produced such a discussion :lol:
Because at this point we really have dick all to talk about, unless you're actively following The Super Manga or anything related to the Vidya Games there's really nothing new to discuss. Case in point, there's another thread discussing why Dragon Ball is loved that was made just a few days after this one lol then there's another discussing endings that was made within a week of the other one.

We're supposed to be getting info on the new movie next week but that'll run its course after a few days too. At best, we usually get a splash of new legitimate introspection on old material that turns up every 8 months or so, so there's that too..
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:17 am

Yeah, I started to realize how repetitive these forums have gotten sometime last year and that really does seem to be because there’s hardly anything left to talk about, so we either keep recycling old stuff or talk about things that have nothing to do with Dragon Ball. Maybe that’s a sign that it’s time for people like me to take a hiatus from these forums.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:30 am

The forums have been this way since Evolution was first coming out. It's less "we have nothing to talk about" and more "the general maturity of the user base is rock bottom."
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:19 am

Dragon Ball the manga, especially in the first half, has nearly perfect pacing, layouts, comedy and artstyle. The characters each have a specific role and bounce off each other in satisfying ways, the battles start out fun and grow to be legitimately exciting, and the plot hadn't yet had the chance to get so layered that Toriyama fucks up keeping track of it. It's a really good read.

I don't know why people have to make a series' notoriety so much more complicated than it being really good at the things it attempted. Dragon Ball took a lot of risks and they payed off. Why does it need to be bigger than that?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:30 am The forums have been this way since Evolution was first coming out.
Ehhhh, not really. Threads never got derailed to the extent that it has the last few years, and even though the quality of discussion took a hit during the influx of fans during BoG, you could be fairly certain a thread wasn't going to eventually end up becoming a debate about Batman movies or capitalism.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:13 am

The answer is very simple: it's a damn fun manga/anime with a sort of simplicity that makes it attractive. You want cool characters and fights, you're gonna get them.
precita wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 pm The original run of Dragonball/DBZ is probably the pinnacle of anime storytelling. It's the "Citizen Kane" of anime.
That is cap and you know it. Dragon Ball has the depth of a puddle compared to most highly regarded works of Hollywood cinema. Not saying that shallowness CAN'T be good, but I bet Orson Welles put in 10 times more thought into any one of his films than Toriyama put into his manga.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:30 am The forums have been this way since Evolution was first coming out.
Ehhhh, not really. Threads never got derailed to the extent that it has the last few years, and even though the quality of discussion took a hit during the influx of fans during BoG, you could be fairly certain a thread wasn't going to eventually end up becoming a debate about Batman movies or capitalism.
Eh, I'm willing to assert that the form may be different but the same root cause is still the influx that came from Evolution. Things were super chill before then. Then again, 99% of my memories are gone so who knows if I'm not forgetting shit. I'm way too embarrassed to read posts from when I was fifteen. 😆

I'm also willing to assert that one can't have media analysis without understanding the environment in which media is made, which obviously means discussing things like the role capitalism, misogyny and more play in the workplace and on creative influence. The issue is that the user base is too immature--not of age but of knowledge or particular care--to have serious discussions. These threads turn into shit shows because y'all don't self-reflect, get out into the real world and learn about how things work and how the less fortunate get fucked over.

At the risk of sounding like Kunzite: more people need to get out and experience more things to inform their understanding of shit. That goes for all of us all the time.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 am

I guess the black guy in America from a perpetually broke family that's had to repeatedly downscale because of the healthcare system, whose college degree amounted to a fast food job and then further financially crippled himself with a trade school (that fortunately paid off but gave him 2 years of never having more than $500 on a good day, $10k of accumulated credit card debt, and no dental and eye insurance, fuck yeah!) needs to learn how the real world works for the less fortunate as it pertains to a children's cartoon that he inexplicably still watches.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:49 am

God that was an awesome post.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Misu

Post by Misu » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:56 pm
- Predates the 2000s
How is this point important? There are many great animes which were released during the 2000s.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 am

Simplicity.

People underestimate just how captivating it can be to read (or watch) something as simple as Dragon Ball.
Of course, simplicity alone is not enough. But Dragon Ball is that kind of simplicity done extremely well. And that’s why it is so memorable, so distinctive, so easy to get in, and therefore so fun.

You can literally pick up any manga chapter and fully get immersed in the story. Aside from the incredible art and storyboarding, I believe its strength is that it’s never too auto-referential. You do need great knowledge of what happened before to understand the stories.

And that’s probably why it got so popular in the first place. If you can basically jump in at every point and enjoy it without knowing anything of what happened before, that’s powerful. Heck, many fans of DB actually only watched from Z onwards. They basically skipped half the story and still love the serie. Tell me any other long-running show or manga, which is not episodic, that works like this.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:38 am

Misu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 am How is this point important? There are many great animes which were released during the 2000s.
I agree that many great anime were released during the 2000s and were likely seen by many and that's Kunzait's point, not many people of this forum, have shown, that they have seen great pre-2000s anime, outside some popular ones aimed at children.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm

I wish I had more time to watch anime in general. Jeez. 😭
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:38 amI agree that many great anime were released during the 2000s and were likely seen by many and that's Kunzait's point, not many people of this forum, have shown, that they have seen great pre-2000s anime, outside some popular ones aimed at children.
Ding ding ding.

For that matter, there's also a fair amount of post-2000s anime that sadly NOT a lot of people have seen (stuff like Mononoke, Mind Game, Sword of the Stranger, Redline, Kemonozume, etc) precisely in part BECAUSE they're not aimed at children or have the typical "Battle Shonen" style that people primarily think of when they think of anime (when its not Moe/Ecchi stuff and the like at least, which is the other type of anime that most folks might default to).

But its not nearly to the same extent as the incredible lack of even threadbare curiosity for most anime made prior to the 2000s that isn't of the Dragon Ball mold. And regardless, I still added the qualifier of " two or more of the following" among those options I laid out.

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:33 am I guess the black guy in America from a perpetually broke family that's had to repeatedly downscale because of the healthcare system, whose college degree amounted to a fast food job and then further financially crippled himself with a trade school (that fortunately paid off but gave him 2 years of never having more than $500 on a good day, $10k of accumulated credit card debt, and no dental and eye insurance, fuck yeah!) needs to learn how the real world works for the less fortunate as it pertains to a children's cartoon that he inexplicably still watches.
We're only a year into the 2020's, and we have an early contender for Post of the Decade right here. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellently put.

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 amEhhhh, not really. Threads never got derailed to the extent that it has the last few years, and even though the quality of discussion took a hit during the influx of fans during BoG, you could be fairly certain a thread wasn't going to eventually end up becoming a debate about Batman movies or capitalism.
There's actually a solid, tangibly concrete reason for that: there was a fairly massive astroturfing campaign of white nationalist groups "infiltrating" various nerd and geek spaces online going back sometime around the turn from the late 2000s into the early 2010s, which we saw bear fruit with things like the whole GamerGate thing, as well as the whole "Redpill" movement, and so on and so forth down the line.

A portion of that stems in part from a core problem that I've noticed and have been concerned about in these kinds of online geek/nerd spaces since roughly around the time of my very early years posting on here (roughly the mid-2000s or so): a whole mass of historically and politically ignorant and disinterested young people who whiled away much of their time focusing solely on their nerd hobbies and interests and exceedingly little to no time whatsoever actually picking up a real book or paying the fuck attention to the real world surrounding them more closely, thus leaving themselves gullible and naive enough to be taken advantage of by these groups (who played on many of these folks' own insecurities and personal resentments to rope them in, as most white supremacist/hate groups have historically always done across various white disenfranchised and alienated groups before).

I'm not putting ALL of the blame on either the white nationalist groups OR on the hapless dipshits online who fell for their (incredibly obvious) indoctrination - there's plenty of blame to go around between BOTH parties, both the con artists *and* the gullible marks alike - nor does this aspect account for the WHOLE entire story of what's been happening in online nerd spaces for the past decade or so by any means (this is a story with a LOT of different avenues, almost all of them filled with some of the worst, most vile and disgusting people on the planet): but it IS a pretty significant piece of it.

The reason I bring this up is because I've been active enough in these online spaces - along with being politically engaged for much of my whole life now - to watch this whole transition play out in front of me in real time. I watched what used to be VERY apolitical nerd spaces (like this forum as just one of a great many examples) full of incredibly insulated and sheltered dorks go from total and absolute disinterest in politics to goose stepping "Kawaiicaust" Anime Nazis and /pol/ zealots over the course of a few key years throughout the very early into mid 2010s.

This wasn't an accident (not entirely at least): there were unquestionably deliberate efforts made in white supremacist organizations to take advantage of and exploit what was for a long time now a whole new virgin terrain for them: that of the Resentful, Sheltered, Online White Gamer/Anime Nerd market, which they'd left largely untouched for quite some time until roughly the last 10+ years or so (give or take) and which they found to be packed to the brim with PRECISELY the exact sort of psychological and emotional makeup that makes most of their followers susceptible to their propaganda (lonely, alienated, insulated, few strong familial or social ties, lots of undirected anger and resentment, spotty education history, etc).

Kanz is obviously by no means anywhere CLOSE to the only nerd forum to get hit by this, and if anything I think that, for all the abject awfulness we've seen on here the past few years, we've nonetheless gotten off relatively easy compared to a lot of other online nerd communities out there (Mike and the rest of the site admin's incredibly disciplined modding deserves a TON of credit there).

But there was absolutely NO way that this community WASN'T going to get caught up in that whole clusterfuck to at least SOME degree, especially given the makeup of so much of this community having been just about ALWAYS rife with folks who were obvious and easy pickings to get roped into this horrible nonsense.

Point being: that seal's now been broken, and topics like politics and world events - which I well remember used to be discussed by almost NO ONE on here EVER, and in fact the sheer amount of abject ignorance that most folks in this community showed at the time regarding even what were at the time then-VERY recent and MAJOR world and societal events was downright bloodcurdlingly disturbing (true story, I once had to handhold and walk one user here, off the forums, through what exactly the Iraq War and 9/11 was about: and they were back then, late 2000s or so, in their late teens/early 20s and they were American) - have now had the bandaid ripped off and been given a precedent for them to crop up in places like this when topics inevitably derail.

Back in the day, when a thread detailed around here, it'd be usually people talking about I dunno... Danny Phantom or Justice League, or whatever dumbfuck children's cartoon thing, or something they saw on TVTropes or something to do with the cartoon industry (what Nickelodeon's ratings are, how much toy merch something is selling, etc) or whatnot.

Now though, now that the whole GamerGate, Redpill, anti-SJW, and MAGA shit has (for better and for worse) politically "activated" this swath of internet manchildren, politics is now on the table of discussion in a way it basically almost NEVER was among them previously. For the absolute worst and most bone-chillingly stupid and corrosive reasons possible initially in the beginning (there've thankfully been at least SOME incredibly positive upsides to it that have developed since it first started), but nonetheless that's where we are now today.

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 amEh, I'm willing to assert that the form may be different but the same root cause is still the influx that came from Evolution. Things were super chill before then. Then again, 99% of my memories are gone so who knows if I'm not forgetting shit.
God knows my memory of that time can be plenty hazy (I was totally zonked on pain meds for much of that time): but even I have enough clarity of that period where I can comfortably say that no, even during some of the years before Evolution things weren't exactly THAT rose-tinted around here either.

The closest period that I can remember to when this forum was as close to its ideal conditions as it ever got was maybe its very first year or so (maybe year and a half at most) of its existence. So like... mostly the bulk of 2004 going into 2005. That's the only real time I can remember where this forum was largely just wall to wall intelligent civility and people who generally knew what they were talking about on a given subject being predominant.

By 2006 though, there started to come about a LOT of asinine "dub vs sub" arguments and Toonami nostalgia warblings and the like from every which possible way, and things have been a pretty marked and steady devolution ever since then. But that downward slide had begun well before Evolution started to materialize (which IIRC was sometime around 2007 or 2008 or so).

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 amI'm way too embarrassed to read posts from when I was fifteen. 😆
I somehow, much to my own surprise, can actually remember a bunch of them.

....you will undoubtedly cringe going back to them (no offense, but a LOT of them were plenty cringeworthy even at the time you first made them), but I'd probably recommend going back to them at some point regardless, if only for some much needed perspective in how radically you've shifted and changed in various key areas over the years.

One that stands out in my mind - partly because it might've been one of your very first ever interactions with me on here - was you attempting to go all Church Lady on me via verbally slapping my wrist and "tut tut!"-ing me over my using an f bomb once. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it makes you feel any better though, while most of my old posts are now gone (long story why that is), there were certainly at least a few I made back then that were probably fairly awful in their own right, just by the sheer virtue of how much pain medication I was doped up on at the time.

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 amI'm also willing to assert that one can't have media analysis without understanding the environment in which media is made, which obviously means discussing things like the role capitalism, misogyny and more play in the workplace and on creative influence.
While this is all largely true of course (in one form or fashion anyway), I'll just note here as a form of friendly and constructive advice: having read enough of your own thoughts and posts on here and on social media before, you yourself still have quite a loooooong ways to go in regards to having a more full and critical grasp of a whole LOT of media history and context as well.

Basically always remember to practice what you preach, and always remember that (like all the rest of us, myself absolutely included) you're still a work in progress and still have tons and tons more to learn yourself.

As someone who still vividly remembers well enough your presence in this community stemming from well before your transition and "awakening" of sorts: you're still very much new to a LOT of this stuff yourself. Not everyone else is though, and the world is a LOT bigger and filled with all kinds of people, many of whom are radically different than those who might mirror some version or other of your own personal trajectory (and those of people you might know personally) with a lot of these topics.

This ties into a universal truism that I feel has been all too often lost on a LOT of this particular community throughout much of its lifespan and history: just because something is new to you, does not mean that it is in fact also new to tons of other people that are also out there. The world doesn't start and end at just the exact point where you happened to enter into it, and there are VERY *exceedingly* few roads left in life and in the world at large that SOME group of people or other haven't already walked down a zillion times before you.

So always keep that in mind and to keep some perspective in how young you still are and in how relatively little time you've changed a LOT of your own perspective on some very big and major concepts and worldviews.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Oh gosh, my current posts are definitely still weak shit. I'm battling health issues that keep my mind extremely weak so yeah, I'm rarely ever pleased with them.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 pm Kanz is obviously by no means anywhere CLOSE to the only nerd forum to get hit by this, and if anything I think that, for all the abject awfulness we've seen on here the past few years, we've nonetheless gotten off relatively easy compared to a lot of other online nerd communities out there (Mike and the rest of the site admin's incredibly disciplined modding deserves a TON of credit there).

But there was absolutely NO way that this community WASN'T going to get caught up in that whole clusterfuck to at least SOME degree, especially given the makeup of so much of this community having been just about ALWAYS rife with folks who were obvious and easy pickings to get roped into this horrible nonsense.
A big part of why this forum changed from a Dragonball forum to a "politics as they pertain to Dragonball" forum is precisely because the admins did NOT handle things the right way, which would have been to put a blanket ban on any kind of political discussions. Certain other communities did that, and those communities remain extremely apolitical and focused on the actual topic intead of contantly getting threads derailed into off-topic political fights. A lot of people have left because they disliked how it was no longer possible to discuss Dragonball here without the thread being very likely to be hijacked by a political debate of some sort, which was NOT the norm here in the past, and the admins' modding deserves a ton of credit for that happening.

It may have been handled better than some other places. But it was not handled well. At all.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Media analysis is inherently political. The factors that influence all art is political, especially a commercial art like Dragon Ball.

Frankly, I think the mod team does not push hard enough to maintain order but I wouldn't place that on complacency. They're all grown men with lives of their own and the forums are ginourmous at this point. I think the relative homogeny of their life experiences also plays a part in perhaps not being as quick to deciphering when trolls are trolling (or users are just being stubbornly un-empathetic) this but I feel far too self-serving even mentioning it and that doesn't sit right with me.

Internet discourse is so damned in-the-weeds that it's a fucking mess trying to untangle and actually believe that anyone is being sincere and acting in good faith. Also, a lot of nerds are just damned sociopathic. The whole thing just becomes tiresome, which I suppose is the point of trolls: shut up everyone who wants progress by exhausting them with endlessly being bigoted assholes the long way around (without using slurs).
She/Her
bisexual milf