What did non-Toonami USA prints of the edited in-house FUNimation dub of "Dragon Ball" use for the opening?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

What did non-Toonami USA prints of the edited in-house FUNimation dub of "Dragon Ball" use for the opening?

Post by Gilby1385 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:47 pm

When the TV edit of FUNimation's in-house dub of Dragon Ball aired on Toonami USA, a new opening was created for it, although "Romantic Ageru Yo" was left intact (albeit a shortened version). But what did prints of the edited dub outside of Toonami USA use for the opening (such as prints from Australia and New Zealand)? I'd imagine they'd use a shortened version of "Makafushigi Adventure".
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What did non-Toonami USA prints of the edited in-house FUNimation dub of "Dragon Ball" use for the opening?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:20 pm

They probably either did the same custom opening using clips from the show like Toonami USA. Toonami UK did something similar with the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball

The comically truncated version of I’ll Give You Romance was I think just for Toonami airings to allow for more commercials because the full ending was too long for their taste.

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: What did non-Toonami USA prints of the edited in-house FUNimation dub of "Dragon Ball" use for the opening?

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm

They occasionally did show the original opening on Toonami USA, which was the full Makafushigi version.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:13 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm They occasionally did show the original opening on Toonami USA, which was the full Makafushigi version.
Ah, I see. I guess that's what prints outside of Toonami USA would have used.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:40 am

Gilby1385 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:13 am
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm They occasionally did show the original opening on Toonami USA, which was the full Makafushigi version.
Again pretty sure Toonami USA wasn’t the only one to ditch the opening for their own version.

In fact this is apparently one of Toonami Australia’s openings for DBZ

https://youtu.be/M6C6TAbKHdU

I can’t imagine Dragon Ball was any different

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:59 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:40 am
Again pretty sure Toonami USA wasn’t the only one to ditch the opening for their own version.

In fact this is apparently one of Toonami Australia’s openings for DBZ

https://youtu.be/M6C6TAbKHdU

That's wasn't an opening. That was a bumper. Right after the "stand by for Dragon Ball Z..." it would enter the standard opening theme for whatever season they were up to (and I'm thinking it was abysmal, ear bleed-inducing "rock" instrumental opening from the garlic Jr saga).

Admittedly, I don't remember even having Toonami in Australia. On a Friday night we had Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis and Trigun and other such shows aired as part of adult swim before going into Space Ghost and Brak and such. (Kind of wish I smoked weed as a teenager with that lineup.) And on other nights, it was just... Shows that aired on cartoon network. Maybe PayTV was very different before '03.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:40 am

you are correct. heck the blue water db dub had TWO different openings for their edited dragon ball. one for the uk one for canada(both based off the french version though). funi was far from the only one to have custom openings.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:57 pm

I remember Toonami UK would occasionally slip up and air the Canadian DB opening and ending instead of their own. Sometimes they'd even play both versions one after the other, so you'd have 2 completely different openings for 1 episode.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:24 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:57 pm Sometimes they'd even play both versions one after the other, so you'd have 2 completely different openings for 1 episode.
Yeah, the copy of "The Legend of Goku" I have is like this.