Is Bulma's hair supposed to be blue, purple, or green?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Is Bulma's hair supposed to be blue, purple, or green?

Post by precita » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Blue is what Super made canon:

Green (or turquoise) which is what her hair color looked like for the majority of the original anime:

Or Purple, which is what she's colored in most manga covers and the last Dragon Ball movie:

A lot of people wrongly remember Bulma always having blue hair, but in the original Dragonball/DBZ anime her hair looked much more green most of the time. Super seems to have decided her hair was blue once and for all though.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Bulma's hair supposed to be blue, purple, or green?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:15 pm

Well, you know how in real life, people's hair turns grey and then white as they get older?

In anime, it turns green and then blue. Problem solved.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:36 pm

Bulma's hair is one of those things in the franchise which is never the same from one thing to another, the manga had one color that Toriyama did at first then it switched to another and the original anime for the majority had the greenish color (minus the 10th anniversary film which went with the manga accurate purplish color) and Super changing it to blue because they also made Future Trunks' hair that despite present day kid Trunks keeping the purple like style.

Wow, this is such an inconsistent mess. It seems like other things Toriyama just couldn't keep things like her hair color correct.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:55 pm

Why do so many people have a "mandela effect" that Bulma's hair was always blue? It's happened to me too, despite watching the anime for decades I always wrongly think of her hair as blue even though it's far more green in the original anime.

It's kinda why when the new movies and Super started and Bulma's hair was blue, it seemed natural because that's what we all wrongly remember it as.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:13 am

precita wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:55 pm Why do so many people have a "mandela effect" that Bulma's hair was always blue? It's happened to me too, despite watching the anime for decades I always wrongly think of her hair as blue even though it's far more green in the original anime.

It's kinda why when the new movies and Super started and Bulma's hair was blue, it seemed natural because that's what we all wrongly remember it as.

I guess this could be seen as a variation of blue, blue/green really. Also, going back to the first episode of the Funimation dub and redub, she even refers to herself having blue hair. It's kind of like how Super Saiyan God is thought of as red even though he's more pinkish.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:26 am

Bulma's hair is turqoise leaning towards green, but the overly pink DBox masters push it more towards green while Funi's overly blue and dark masters pushed it more towards blue.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:09 am

It is supposed to be and always have been whatever color it is at the moment (first turquoise and now blue in anime and movies, and purple in the original manga).

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:14 am

Why does Kid Trunks have purple hair while his older counterpart now has blue???
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 am

Wasn't the intended color of Bulma's hair purple for the manga?

also fwiw, bulma's first appearance in an anime (Urusei Yatsura cameo) shows her with purple hair.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:01 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 am Wasn't the intended color of Bulma's hair purple for the manga?

also fwiw, bulma's first appearance in an anime (Urusei Yatsura cameo) shows her with purple hair.
Toriyama seemed to settle on purple for like the back 99 percent of the manga (and that’s also why Trunks has purple hair), but went with turquoise in the first chapter, which is what the anime used and stuck with the whole way through, with the exception of the 10th anniversary movie.

(And then Toriyama went with a darker blue for both her and Trunks in post-BoG material, which Toei used for Bulma and Future Trunks but infamously not present Trunks for some reason.)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am

As of blue was the happy medium between Trunks's (and Bulma's intended) purple hair color and Bulma's turquoise hair color? That's genius... I mean except kid Trunks's hair is still inconsistent.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 am

Can't we assume Bulma, who has implied herself to use the dbs every now and then to drop herself a couple of years, dyes her hair? and Future Trunks also picked up this habit, to explain his new color in DBS?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:38 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 am Can't we assume Bulma, who has implied herself to use the dbs every now and then to drop herself a couple of years, dyes her hair? and Future Trunks also picked up this habit, to explain his new color in DBS?
I don't think he had time to be dyeing his hair, what with his world being torn apart. lol
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:42 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:38 am
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 am Can't we assume Bulma, who has implied herself to use the dbs every now and then to drop herself a couple of years, dyes her hair? and Future Trunks also picked up this habit, to explain his new color in DBS?
I don't think he had time to be dyeing his hair, what with his world being torn apart. lol
Future Trunks dye his hair would be good, if they didn't retcon Future Trunks past to never having purple hair, when Future Trunks was with Future Gohan.
Present Bulma asked if the person in the Time Machine had blue hair, there is no reason to assume Future Trunks hair is blue.

So the hair dye for Future Trunks is impossible, since that is a retcon plain and simple.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:43 pm

I just find it hard to believe a character as important as Bulma who was in the very first manga issue has no real canon hair color. Like how is such a thing possible? We're talking about the longest lasting main character of the show after Goku.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:43 pm I just find it hard to believe a character as important as Bulma who was in the very first manga issue has no real canon hair color. Like how is such a thing possible? We're talking about the longest lasting main character of the show after Goku.
Funny you say that, since he switched Goku’s color scheme after the first chapter too (with the anime again sticking with the Chapter 1 colors for the entirety of the first arc).
Bulma and Future Trunks’ hair has just always been blue in DBS. Ask yourself what’s up with kid Trunks instead.

(Incidentally, the digital colored DBS manga release does what the movies and anime probably should have and gives present Trunks the same shade of blue.)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 pm

The purple just looks better on Trunks than blue. And with the SSB form being a thing it feels strange having Trunks be blue in base. Like if he achieved SSB his hair wouldn't even change colour.

I also couldn't imagine base Gotenks with blue at the sides instead of purple.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Yeah, if anything I would have liked them to make Bulma's hair purple in Super instead of messing with Trunks.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:29 am

I assumed Trunks hair was purple because Bulma's blueish hair mixing with Vegeta's black hair saiyan genes made purple hair through their son. That's also why Trunks doesn't have Saiyan hair like Gohan/Goten for that matter.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:39 am

precita wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:29 am I assumed Trunks hair was purple because Bulma's blueish hair mixing with Vegeta's black hair saiyan genes made purple hair through their son. That's also why Trunks doesn't have Saiyan hair like Gohan/Goten for that matter.
Bulma father has purple hair, while Bulma mother has yellow hair if I am not mistake. Bulma having blue hair is the odd one out.

They should have changed Bulma hair to purple instead of changing and retconning Future Trunks to never having purple and always having blue hair, while present Trunks still has purple hair.