Dragon Ball Z’s popularity in the West

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Z’s popularity in the West

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:19 pm

In general, the superhero comics of the USA and the action manga of Japan have conflicting values (killing, mercy, suppression of evil, etc). And despite this, Dragon Ball (especially Z) was a smash hit in the West.

The obvious factors include it being one of the earliest shonen animes to come to the West (timing), and its sheer entertainment factor (intense action, memorable characters). Looking deeper, the dub did things differently from the original manga/Japanese anime, but that also may have appealed to Western audiences and raised its popularity (sorry purists who hate the dub).

For instance: Goku stopped Krillin from killing Vegeta in the Saiyan saga. The original version was that Goku wanted him alive because he was a worthy opponent to fight again and again; the dub makes Goku offer mercy, to be the better person than the killer Vegeta was. Both work out satisfactorily in my opinion, though the latter is tailored to Western morality. It’s debatable as to whether this rewrite betrays Toriyama’s work or is valid enough.

Another plot element to consider: as DBZ aired before DB in the West, the Superman-based element of Goku as an infant alien raised on Earth makes more resonance with the audiences. Maybe if DB had aired first it may have earned success too, but DBZ’s twist at the beginning has more appeal that works in its favor.

Can anyone think of other plots in the English dub that contributed to Dragon Ball Z becoming mega-popular in the West?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z’s popularity in the West

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:24 pm

I really think those changes are superficial in the grand scheme of things - what drew a lot of fans in wasn't necessarily the more Westernized themes, but how different it was from anything else that was airing in that demographic and the level of violence. I know at least that's what stood out to me, and I was a basic kid with basic kid interests. But you see this series and you instantly know it's of an asian kung-fu variety within 5 seconds of looking at it and you're just sucked in through there.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Dragon Ball z would have been popular in the US/Canada/Australia/UK even with a faithful dub ala the Latin American dub.

I mean shit we have Dead Zone and World Strongest and Dragon Ball Kai as proof of a faithful dub of Z doing well with kids.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:19 pm In general, the superhero comics of the USA and the action manga of Japan have conflicting values (killing, mercy, suppression of evil, etc). And despite this, Dragon Ball (especially Z) was a smash hit in the West.

The obvious factors include it being one of the earliest shonen animes to come to the West (timing), and its sheer entertainment factor (intense action, memorable characters). Looking deeper, the dub did things differently from the original manga/Japanese anime, but that also may have appealed to Western audiences and raised its popularity (sorry purists who hate the dub).

For instance: Goku stopped Krillin from killing Vegeta in the Saiyan saga. The original version was that Goku wanted him alive because he was a worthy opponent to fight again and again; the dub makes Goku offer mercy, to be the better person than the killer Vegeta was. Both work out satisfactorily in my opinion, though the latter is tailored to Western morality. It’s debatable as to whether this rewrite betrays Toriyama’s work or is valid enough.

Another plot element to consider: as DBZ aired before DB in the West, the Superman-based element of Goku as an infant alien raised on Earth makes more resonance with the audiences. Maybe if DB had aired first it may have earned success too, but DBZ’s twist at the beginning has more appeal that works in its favor.

Can anyone think of other plots in the English dub that contributed to Dragon Ball Z becoming mega-popular in the West?
First of all I love all Dragon Ball fans. I wanted to make a thread like this. I really dont think the changes were needed to make it a success... But I still love all Dragon Ball fans. I wont be a gatekeepy jerk and say they are lesser because of the way they were introduced to the series and same for the way they enjoy it. They should have the gosh darned freedom to enjoy the series any way they want.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:21 pm

You have to keep in mind what was airing in the west by the late 90's or early 2000's.

Most cartoons were aimed at kids, and the most "adult" cartoon was Batman: TAS, which was still limited by the Fox censors as to what they were allowed to show (and this continued when it moved to WB). Dragon Ball Z was about action and violence, and most of all stakes. Characters die, and it was serialized.

Almost every show back then had one-off stories with no continuing storylines. There was nothing like it at the time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:30 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:21 pm Almost every show back then had one-off stories with no continuing storylines. There was nothing like it at the time.
Not exactly. There actually were a number of superhero cartoons at the time that had continuous storylines, although Batman: The Animated Series wasn’t really one of them. I think it was more the emphasis on fighting that caught people’s attention when it came to DBZ. A lot of American cartoons had action, but most of them didn’t put nearly as much emphasis on wall-to-wall combat as DBZ.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:38 pm

If we're speaking during the 90's, not counting other anime, I can't really think of any.

Ninja Turtles, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, 90's Spiderman, X-men, etc. all had some continuity obviously, but they were still largely episodic. That's because the episodes aired on TV all out of order and kids could jump in at any time and not be "confused" about what was going on. I know when I was a kid I never saw these shows in order, it was just whatever random ep was airing on TV at the time.

Cartoons didn't start to get more serialized till the early/mid 2000's.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:30 pm
precita wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:21 pm Almost every show back then had one-off stories with no continuing storylines. There was nothing like it at the time.
Not exactly. There actually were a number of superhero cartoons at the time that had continuous storylines, although Batman: The Animated Series wasn’t really one of them. I think it was more the emphasis on fighting that caught people’s attention when it came to DBZ. A lot of American cartoons had action, but most of them didn’t put nearly as much emphasis on wall-to-wall combat as DBZ.
In the 90s that level of serialization in American TV was unheard of outside of soaps. The only example I can think of that was that serialized was X-Men and that's only the first few seasons which weren't that long. Most continuing storylines were mini arcs that lasted a few episodes. But by and large, US TV in general was very episodic so it could be watched in syndication and people could jump in at any time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:42 pm

Did they though? I know Spider-man TAS liked to pretend it did a continuous storyline with its [Arc name chapter x] structure but it was honestly pretty episodic in execution. Certainly nothing remotely like Dragon Ball Z’s serialization. I don’t recall Superman TAS doing any real overarching storyline either.

And yes Batman TAS was super episodic to the point the Fox Kids airdates are completely different from the production/dvd order and it only barely causes any problems (namely just with Selina Kyle and which side of the law she was currently on)

But yeah I can’t think of any other kids show from the 90s/early 2000s that was as serialized as Dragon Ball Z

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:23 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:42 pm

Did they though? I know Spider-man TAS liked to pretend it did a continuous storyline with its [Arc name chapter x] structure but it was honestly pretty episodic in execution. Certainly nothing remotely like Dragon Ball Z’s serialization. I don’t recall Superman TAS doing any real overarching storyline either.

And yes Batman TAS was super episodic to the point the Fox Kids airdates are completely different from the production/dvd order and it only barely causes any problems (namely just with Selina Kyle and which side of the law she was currently on)

But yeah I can’t think of any other kids show from the 90s/early 2000s that was as serialized as Dragon Ball Z
There was definitely nothing in American television that was serialized to the extent of DBZ (and as far as I know, there still isn’t when it comes to children’s cartoons), but I don’t know if I believe that the serialized structure of DBZ was a massive selling point.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:23 pm

There was definitely nothing in American television that was serialized to the extent of DBZ (and as far as I know, there still isn’t when it comes to children’s cartoons), but I don’t know if I believe that the serialized structure of DBZ was a massive selling point.
I’d say it was. Not the only big selling point. But a major one. Even the heavily sanitized first two seasons apparently did well outside of its target demographic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:23 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:42 pm

I do think it is. People love being pulled into a story. I would think the streaming era and the popularity of something like 24 would be proof enough that people love serialization. And when I was 7, Power Rangers was first airing, and the most significant storyline was a story that took place over 5 episodes. I vividly recall loving being pulled into that story as it unfolded over the course of a week.
Last edited by ABED on Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Lord, remembering that far back is hard but I do recall being quite the giddy little girl over the serialized nature of Dragon Ball back then. It reminded me a lot of General Hospital, which I got into around the same time.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:19 pmFor instance: Goku stopped Krillin from killing Vegeta in the Saiyan saga. The original version was that Goku wanted him alive because he was a worthy opponent to fight again and again; the dub makes Goku offer mercy, to be the better person than the killer Vegeta was. Both work out satisfactorily in my opinion, though the latter is tailored to Western morality.
I don't think this is really a matter of 'western' vs. 'eastern' morality. Goku is a battle junkie who does very questionable things in pursuit of a good fight, but that's just the way his character is (and Saiyan characters in general). It's not like it's some cultural standard that the majority of Japanese people would agree is a moral way to think and act. In fact it's often presented as a character flaw in-universe.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:56 pm

Sure, it's seen as a flaw but not one that's held against him.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Also, it needs to be said people in the West clearly respond way more to Goku’s “always working to improve himself” quality than his stupid moralizing speeches about justice and righteousness that Funimation stuck in his mouth.

Also Vegeta was a way more popular character with Toonami audiences. So I don’t see how making Goku more of a boy scout would make him more endearing to American audiences.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Another thing about serialized storytelling is that it makes it so the viewer wants to tune in every single episode so they don't miss anything. What would be casual viewing becomes appointment viewing for many. I know that as a kid I was either in front of the television at a specific scheduled time and/or I had the VCR timer already set.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:18 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:24 pm I really think those changes are superficial in the grand scheme of things - what drew a lot of fans in wasn't necessarily the more Westernized themes, but how different it was from anything else that was airing in that demographic and the level of violence. I know at least that's what stood out to me, and I was a basic kid with basic kid interests. But you see this series and you instantly know it's of an asian kung-fu variety within 5 seconds of looking at it and you're just sucked in through there.
Pretty much.

Compared to other cartoons at the time, like Powerpuff Girls, Dragon Ball just felt surreal.

Then I ventured into other anime and the novelty wore off, but somehow I'm still on this forum.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Thank you all for your comments.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm Also, it needs to be said people in the West clearly respond way more to Goku’s “always working to improve himself” quality than his stupid moralizing speeches about justice and righteousness that Funimation stuck in his mouth.
Goku isn't the traditional hero of justice that both the West and East set up, he's looser and more lax than that. After all, he was raised in the wilderness by a guardian who could only stay a few years. But every hero has a conscience, a sense of right and wrong. The dub makes it somewhat stronger than the Japanese version, but is it inaccurate or unfaithful?

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm Also Vegeta was a way more popular character with Toonami audiences. So I don’t see how making Goku more of a boy scout would make him more endearing to American audiences.
Not endearing to a massive level, but enough to make him identifiable to popular opinion.

And Vegeta as an anti-hero and rival is perennially popular.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:10 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm The dub makes it somewhat stronger than the Japanese version, but is it inaccurate or unfaithful?
Yes, because the English dub has Goku saying crap that’s just plain out of character. Sure Toei makes Goku was more heroic than what Toriyama intended but he still acts like a kung fu hick. He’s not lecturing villains about the sword of injustice and how their evil deeds are like a noose around their necks.

Not endearing to a massive level, but enough to make him identifiable to popular opinion.
But that’s just it. American fans DO NOT identify with Goku- The Japanese Silver Age Superman. They identify with Goku the guy who is always working to improve himself