Who is Goku's most important mentor?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jamtia

Re: Who is Goku's most important mentor?

Post by Jamtia » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:54 am

Roshi for sure.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am

Roshi, like you said he thought the boys not only martial arts but also basic life skills and for example without Roshi Goku would have continued to be a wild child.

Second place would be king kai but what Goku feels for him is more like a compadre than a mentor.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:18 pm

Roshi...with Kami as a strong runner-up. Ironically, Kami's training was Goku's first foray into more "spiritual" training, even before his death led him to King Kai. While Roshi provided the motivation for Goku's training that has been the theme of the entire series, Kami strongly impacted Goku's worldview and helped him transition from childhood to manhood.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:35 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:18 pm Roshi...with Kami as a strong runner-up. Ironically, Kami's training was Goku's first foray into more "spiritual" training, even before his death led him to King Kai. While Roshi provided the motivation for Goku's training that has been the theme of the entire series, Kami strongly impacted Goku's worldview and helped him transition from childhood to manhood.
Ah, but it was Roshi he was visiting when he died. LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:35 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:18 pm Roshi...with Kami as a strong runner-up. Ironically, Kami's training was Goku's first foray into more "spiritual" training, even before his death led him to King Kai. While Roshi provided the motivation for Goku's training that has been the theme of the entire series, Kami strongly impacted Goku's worldview and helped him transition from childhood to manhood.
Ah, but it was Roshi he was visiting when he died. LOL.
I mean, Roshi is my top choice. Just saying Kami was a great influence on Goku as well.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:50 pm

I know I know. I was just kidding lol. I agree massively.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BladeXRG

Post by BladeXRG » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Definitively Muten Roshi, not only he weared his dogi until the Freeza arc, but Kame Sennin also taught him a lot of stuff that for us might be normal, but for a kid that lives in the mountains can be extremely helpful. Oh, and he also is clearly the person Goku respects the most in the series.

Osmium

Post by Osmium » Mon May 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Son Gohan is by far the most important mentor. If it wasn’t for him, Goku would have been a completely different person. Goku likely would have fighting skill nonetheless, but it’s clear that Son Gohan taught him all the basics of his fighting style and his obsession with martial arts which would push him through the entire series. There’s a reason why Goku named his child after the guy.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 10, 2022 2:23 pm

Hm. That's interesting. I think that the most influential on Goku's life was Roshi. Despite Goku's seemingly detached nature, we've seen instances where Goku shows nostalgia and appreciation for everything that happened to him in his youth. So, I definitely think that his heart is with Roshi. However, Goku definitely squeezed every drop out of Kai-Ō. Goku probably spent the most time with Kai-Ō.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:49 am

Bulma (taught him about the world)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri May 13, 2022 8:59 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:49 am Bulma (taught him about the world)
She didnt teach him about the world, she gave him the chance to experience it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:13 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:59 am
Eh, potato potato, gave him that worldly experience

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri May 13, 2022 11:24 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:59 am
She taught Goku basic sexual dimorphism
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san