Which character do you think is wasted in DBS

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Which character do you think is wasted in DBS

Post by super michael » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:06 am

Just curious which character do you feel like they are wasted and underused in DBS.

In my opinion I think Dende is one character that could be involved in battle, by healing his allies. He could learn offense magic attack like Babidi who know incantations.
Dende can sense GoD without any problem and can heal anyon without any problem.

Goten and Trunks they love to battle, train and help their allies, but they are not allowed to do anything. They could do the SSG Ritual to gain SSG and they can train with their parents or with Whis and Beerus to get powerful.
They are prodigies with a lot of potential.

Gohan his potential is wasted by not training with his dad, Vegeta, Whis and Beerus. The fact that he doesn't do the SSG Ritual to gain SSG or any God ki is a waste.

Piccolo who only trains with Gohan, but doesn't train with anyone more powerful than himself or more skillful than himself.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Which character do you think is wasted in DBS

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:29 am

It's too risky to have Kami sama on the battlefront, if he gets killed -he can't fight or defend himself, bye DBs. Although, I wonder what problem would that bring, I mean, they can shunkanido to Namek whenever they want, or get help from Beerus or just try and find the SDB. Or find out if there are more shenrons like the one at Granola's planet.

No other saiyan undergoing the god ritual makes no sense from a practical pov, even if Gohan thinks he must follow his own path, after Saganbo stomping everybody, doing the ritual should be a nobrainer.
I can see why they wouldn't want GnT to get as powerful, their immature personalities and the fact that they would still be below the big baddies could end in bad results. Right now they wouldn't have dared to mess with Moro, but if they had the god forms they definitely would've while not being strong enough to beat him, they would've only made him stronger.

I do wonder what would happen if Goku trained with his kids and Piccolo and Vegeta with Trunks. How much stronger would the gang get? but the saiyans are on their own path, and it would be detrimental for their growth, so I can see why they don't bother training with the rest of the cast.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:32 am

I don’t see how Gohan was wasted. Compared to the utter non entity he was in GT or the joke character he was in BoG and Resurrection F. He actually had a character arc in Super. They brought him back as a fighter in a believable way. Who cares if he never becomes a Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Tumblr User?

Anyways I’m not sure if anyone was wasted. Goten and Trunks really aren’t interesting characters. Their whole schtick is “those little scamps!!!” I could not care less about them getting any stronger.

I’m gonna be honest Super used the supporting cast more than the Boo arc of Z or all of GT ever did.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 am

You can't waste something you never promised would be developed or have a role in the story (i.e: kid Trunks and Goten) in the first place.

For character that were really wasted, Universe 7 (present) Zamasu is my pick, being literally erased before his character could go somewhere.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:53 am

The only real answer here is Trunks and Goten. Toriyama excluding them from EVERY fight and arc in Super was absurd.

Every other character did things at some point (sans Yamcha), but Trunks and Goten are purposely excluded from the action. It's them by a large margin.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am

precita wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:53 am The only real answer here is Trunks and Goten. Toriyama excluding them from EVERY fight and arc in Super was absurd.

Every other character did things at some point (sans Yamcha), but Trunks and Goten are purposely excluded from the action. It's them by a large margin.
Considering what utter dumbasses they were when fighting Boo it was 100 percent a logical conclusion to reach.

That does remind me though, Boo was wasted in Super. They had to use the same excuse to keep him out of the action 3 different times. Which is weird because it gives the impression he’s a lot more powerful than he actually is. I would rather of had him participate in the Tournament of Power than Freeza.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 am You can't waste something you never promised would be developed or have a role in the story (i.e: kid Trunks and Goten) in the first place.

For character that were really wasted, Universe 7 (present) Zamasu is my pick, being literally erased before his character could go somewhere.
It might have been interesting to see (Present) Zamasu play a larger role; for example he could have been kept alive but imprisoned to maybe give out advices on how to defeat Black, since he's literally an alternate version of Black. His knowledge on Black (himself) would be unparalleled.

But in the end he wasn't wasted because, as you said, he was never promised to have some kind of larger role in the series. His purpose was to show the viewer how Goku Black came to be twisted and why he lost faith in mankind. So he's essentially a walking origin story for Black and he served his purpose very well.

Plus he learned that his future counterpart succeeded in executing his plan, so it would have been very hard to convince him to change path; he had evidence that he was destined to succeed.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Off the top of my head:

• Goten.
• Trunks.
• Piccolo.
• Majin Buu.
• All humans.
• Vegetto.
• Future Trunks (not used to his full potential).

Dishonorable mention:

• Marron.

She could be a fighter, couldn't she? There should be more female fighters so she should train under her parents. It'd be even better if they age her up a little bit, but I guess that could never be done.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:58 pm

Oh yeah, Boo hands down the most wasted character. Reduced to a repetitive, unfunny gag while being teased to still be relevantly powerful. So many interesting fights that we never got like Buu vs Time Skip, Buu vs Freeza, Buu at the ToP... we got Buu vs Moro, though.

I'd have preferred we had less of the original gang, I had enough Yamcha and Roshi, and more of Buu or 18.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am
precita wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:53 am The only real answer here is Trunks and Goten. Toriyama excluding them from EVERY fight and arc in Super was absurd.

Considering what utter dumbasses they were when fighting Boo it was 100 percent a logical conclusion to reach.

That does remind me though, Boo was wasted in Super. They had to use the same excuse to keep him out of the action 3 different times. Which is weird because it gives the impression he’s a lot more powerful than he actually is. I would rather of had him participate in the Tournament of Power than Freeza.
Sure Goten and Trunks were dumbasses in the Buu Saga, but character development exist.

If we use that logic then Vegeta shouldn't have become the 2nd main character since he was a dumbass in the Cell Saga and Buu Saga.
Vegeta was the the 3rd or 4th strongest in the Cell Games on the Z fighters team, while in the Buu Saga he was the 4th strongest in the Z fighters team.
Nowaday he is the 2nd strongest in DBS a huge upgrade in ranks in power.

If Vegeta prince of the dumbasses (trying to be a bit funny here) can change for the better, then why can't Goten and Trunks change for the better also?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:09 pm

The character development for Goten and Trunks is also deeply tied to their age. They were "dumbasses" in Majin Buu saga because they were kids. They are currently teenagers, even though they want us (and the characters in-universe) to think they're still kids by still depicting them like kids for some idiotic reason.

If they looked just a bit older, maybe things could've turned out very differently.

~ Day of the Machines ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:29 am It's too risky to have Kami sama on the battlefront, if he gets killed -he can't fight or defend himself, bye DBs. Although, I wonder what problem would that bring, I mean, they can shunkanido to Namek whenever they want, or get help from Beerus or just try and find the SDB. Or find out if there are more shenrons like the one at Granola's planet.

No other saiyan undergoing the god ritual makes no sense from a practical pov, even if Gohan thinks he must follow his own path, after Saganbo stomping everybody, doing the ritual should be a nobrainer.
I can see why they wouldn't want GnT to get as powerful, their immature personalities and the fact that they would still be below the big baddies could end in bad results. Right now they wouldn't have dared to mess with Moro, but if they had the god forms they definitely would've while not being strong enough to beat him, they would've only made him stronger.

I do wonder what would happen if Goku trained with his kids and Piccolo and Vegeta with Trunks. How much stronger would the gang get? but the saiyans are on their own path, and it would be detrimental for their growth, so I can see why they don't bother training with the rest of the cast.
But here is the thing at one point in time Piccolo was linked to Kami, if Piccolo died then Kami dies which means no Dragon Balls. That didn't stop Piccolo from fighting in the Saiyan Saga, Namek Saga and Android Saga.
Beside we know there are defensive magic in Dragon Ball as shown with Babidi barrier. Surely Dende could learn some magic from Kaioshin or the Angels.

We know that Dende has God Ki just like Angels, GoD, Kaioshin, Goku and Vegeta has God Ki.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Rather than wanting to give old characters who have completed their story arcs more time to shine, I wish instead that Super would use its new characters more. That said, if they can think of something genuinely new like with Boo in the Moro arc, I'm all for it.

I would have liked to see more of Hit, Jiren, Broly, Kale, Caulifla, Toppo etc taking a role in subsequent arcs after their debut. I do miss the days when the antagonists would make regular appearances and become major players in future arcs, like Yamcha, Tien, Piccolo, Vegeta etc. It was certainly an organic way to change up the dynamics, and I think it would help with the staleness of Goku and Vegeta as a constant pair. I miss crazy team ups like Vegeta/Krillin/Gohan on namek. Would have been unthinkable the previous arc.

I suspect the main reason this isn't happening for most of them is because Toro/Toriyama finding it difficult to reason them being in different universes. But the Broly arc really feels like it never happened in the manga, other than the brief mention that it did indeed happen. It hasn't effected the story going forward at all.

The ToP was refreshing in this regard, but it was mostly the same context as the last time we saw U6.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:41 pm

I'm just...not invested in Majin Buu. The jokes about him never showing up are hilarious, though.

I feel like I definitely want more of the Universe 6 Saiyans but I also don't feel a need to just dash right into an entire arc set on Sarada. I would love a PreCure-level series for Kale and Caulifla, though. Having Cabba as a PreCure side boy character would work, too. Basically, there but not to outshine the girls...

Super left me wanting more, but in a good way. In that respect, I felt like it was great.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:11 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:17 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:29 am It's too risky to have Kami sama on the battlefront, if he gets killed -he can't fight or defend himself, bye DBs. Although, I wonder what problem would that bring, I mean, they can shunkanido to Namek whenever they want, or get help from Beerus or just try and find the SDB. Or find out if there are more shenrons like the one at Granola's planet.

But here is the thing at one point in time Piccolo was linked to Kami, if Piccolo died then Kami dies which means no Dragon Balls. That didn't stop Piccolo from fighting in the Saiyan Saga, Namek Saga and Android Saga.
Beside we know there are defensive magic in Dragon Ball as shown with Babidi barrier. Surely Dende could learn some magic from Kaioshin or the Angels.

We know that Dende has God Ki just like Angels, GoD, Kaioshin, Goku and Vegeta has God Ki.
But Piccolo was a fighter, and not just a fighter, he was THE fighter, second only to Goku, strongest on Earth vs the saiyans, stronger than Vegeta in Namek.
Dende was never a fighter, he never threw a punch in his life, and I think being Earth's God goes against joining the fight, IIRC something like that was said by Kami or Popo.

We have a better shot having Shin join the fight, Kibito's healing ability is better and can take off with his kai kai while Dende can hardly fly.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:09 pm The character development for Goten and Trunks is also deeply tied to their age. They were "dumbasses" in Majin Buu saga because they were kids. They are currently teenagers, even though they want us (and the characters in-universe) to think they're still kids by still depicting them like kids for some idiotic reason.

If they looked just a bit older, maybe things could've turned out very differently.
They are still kids. I know people want to deny this because it makes no sense but they’re clearly supposed to be 7 and 8 just like Marron is still 3 somehow.

The age and timeline thing is all just sorts of messed up in the revival. Case in point in Battle of Gods Mai tells Bulma she is 41…:but if BoG is meant to take place 5 years of Boo’s defeat that would make Goku 40 meaning Mai would be 13 during the first arc of the original Dragon Ball (which clearly isn’t the case) Also Bulma supposedly turning 38 (she could be lying but 38 is a weird number to lie about) which again makes no sense if you do the math.

Aside from Gohan and Videl being married and having Pan Dragon Ball Super basically acts like very little time had actually passed after Boo’s defeat.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm

The kids by EoZ are so detached from fighting that them spending DBS actually fighting wouldn't make much sense considering where they'll end up.
The same could be said for Gohan, except he is just not taking part of the TB, it is never said that he doesn't want to fight like Goten and Trunks do.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pmThey are still kids. I know people want to deny this because it makes no sense but they’re clearly supposed to be 7 and 8 just like Marron is still 3 somehow.
Not following. How are they supposed to be seven, eight and three even though there is a timeskip? People deny it and they are right. This is not Pokémon, which no matter how long passes, you can still say Ash is a kid/pre-teen.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pmAside from Gohan and Videl being married and having Pan Dragon Ball Super basically acts like very little time had actually passed after Boo’s defeat.
If we go only by statements, you're right. However, that is not the only way for us to know that time is passing. Shenlong's summonings is also another way (though there are some occasions in which summoning Shenlong must be ignored in order to fit the events in a more reasonable way) as well as some other major details people should be paying attention to, such as:

• We know that Movie 14 can't take place any time before AGE 776 (because Tarble is mentioned. Tarble OVA takes place two years after Majin Buu saga) or any time after AGE 778 (because of Beerus nap - which lasts thirty nine years).

• There is Videl's pregnancy, which if it's anything like the real world, takes nine months.

• If the only occasions we consider that Shenlong was summoned was to bring Freeza and the North City back (destroyed in Movie 15 by Freeza), I think we can still place Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga in the same year as Movie 15. I don't remember the exact amount of time it takes to recharge the Dragon Balls after each wish.

• We know that Universe Survival saga must take place one year after Universe 6 saga because the Super Dragon Balls were used in the latter saga (Super Dragon Balls takes one year to recharge).

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:38 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pmThey are still kids. I know people want to deny this because it makes no sense but they’re clearly supposed to be 7 and 8 just like Marron is still 3 somehow.
Not following. How are they supposed to be seven, eight and three even though there is a timeskip?
Because it’s plain as day that they have not aged. I just said it makes no sense but that’s clearly what’s going on here.
But I don't know why you're bringing their ages. Time is passing, there's no denying in that. Goku, Mai and Bulma have nothing to do with Goten, Trunks and Marron.
The point I’m making is the ages and time are all messed up. Mai and Bulma would both be older than their stated ages of 41 and 38.

If we go only by statements, you're right. However, that is not the only way for us to know that time is passing. Shenlong's summonings is also another way (though there are some occasions in which summoning Shenlong must be ignored in order to fit the events in a more reasonable way) as well as some other major details people should be paying attention to, such as:

• We know that Movie 14 can't take place any time before AGE 776 (Because Tarble is mentioned. Tarble OVA takes place two years after Majin Buu saga) or any time after AGE 778 (because of Beerus nap - which lasts thirty nine years).

• There is Videl's pregnancy, which if it's anything like the real world, takes nine months.

• If the only occasions we consider that Shenlong was summoned was to bring Freeza and the North City back (destroyed in Movie 15 by Freeza), I think we can still place Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga in the same year as Movie 15. I don't remember the exact amount of time it takes to recharge the Dragon Balls after each wish.

• We know that Universe Survival saga must take place one year after Universe 6 saga because the Super Dragon Balls were used in the latter saga (Super Dragon Balls takes one year to recharge).
I never said time shouldn’t have passed, I said despite all logic the characters that aren’t Gohan and Videl are basically frozen in their ages. This is why Goten, Trunks, and Marron are still little kids and why Bulma is only in her late 30s. Because Dragon Ball Super wants to operate on cartoon time

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Goku. Barely anything interesting is done with the character, and when it's attempted, it's either backtracked or executed poorly.