Which character do you think is wasted in DBS

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Which character do you think is wasted in DBS

Post by precita » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:01 pm

The thing about Fat Boo's shafting that doesn't make sense is it seemed like Toriyama originally really liked him? He had a lot of fun writing him in the Boo arc when he was evil interacting with Mr. Satan, and even brought him back after Kid Boo happened when he didn't have to do that. And then kept him around as a friend for Mr. Satan.

Boo really should have been in the U6 tournament and the TOP. He has a lot of interesting magical abilities the other main characters don't have and they could have written some really good fights with him. If they're worried about him being "overpowered" just have him kicked out of bounds of the ring, which would be easy to do since Boo would probably get mad and overlook his boundaries.

Thank god the anime writers gave us that amazing Boo fight in the exhibition rounds against U9's wolves. Just another thing the Super anime did better than the manga counterpart. Anime Super does what Toriyama and the manga don't!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:20 pm

precita wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:01 pm Thank god the anime writers gave us that amazing Boo fight in the exhibition rounds against U9's wolves. Just another thing the Super anime did better than the manga counterpart. Anime Super does what Toriyama and the manga don't!
H- ... have Boo fight? I don’t know; you might want to check that manga again...

Anyway, I assume the absence in “F” was just one for cast size. The U6 loss is part of the gag/twist of that coming down to just Goku and Vegeta (and failing the test is a pretty funny beat in the manga at least), and for the ToP I think it was one part not wanting to have to deal with Boo’s abilities—above all his healing, which the mana even brings up as an insurance policy—and needing to have an impetus for Freeza to be the final surprise member and not having anyone else who could plausibly provide a last-minute reason for being unable to compete.

I think you probably could have written some fun action for Boo into either (although I really like the test gag), prior to a ring-out, and he probably would have been more fun as a ToP member than say ... Turtle Hermit or Tenshinhan ... but I can see why things played out that way.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Gonna say Buu. Even in the Moro arc where he got focus, he didn't get as much as Goku and Vegeta. I was really hoping that idea of Goku/Vegeta/Buu fusion vs Moro was going to happen.