Almost no recaps in original anime run

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Almost no recaps in original anime run

Post by coola » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm

During DB/DBZ/DBGT original run, i think i could count like 5 recap episode, i don't remember any during 153 episodes of DB. With is pretty interesting compared to original anime based on Hokuto no Ken, I'm currently at episode 70, and already 10 of them were recaps.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Almost no recaps in original anime run

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 pm

I wish they had done more recaps, it'd have alleviated the production.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 pm I wish they had done more recaps, it'd have alleviated the production.
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised it took them until Goku arrival on Namek, to "finally" hit production issues and catching up to manga.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:11 pm

coola wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:06 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:56 pm I wish they had done more recaps, it'd have alleviated the production.
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised it took them until Goku arrival on Namek, to "finally" hit production issues and catching up to manga.
I think it helped that the anime started over a year after the manga and the original anime already expanded on material like the Pilaf gang in the first arc. Plus there was 4 blocks of anime only content that killed a months time each.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:39 pm

I love how they handled things in the first series. Those original episodes were so cool! Definitely underrated stories!

For the sake of scheduling the fights better I would have loved more recap episodes so as to make the big battles more consistently high-quality. Naruto got this so, so right with its filler and flashbacks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:09 pm

I would have preferred recap episodes in the Z-era to shit filler arcs.

Like maybe on the way to Namek Kuririn sits and thinks about all of his past battles and adventures, and we get to see a recap of Kuririn moments.

Or during the Cell saga when Roshi is explaining to everyone what the Tenka'ichi Budokai was, they could spend like three episodes doing recaps of each tournament.

Just use some kind of framing device in each recap episode and go from there. Not only do they save on production costs, but the episodes become more easily skippable on rewatch. Plus, viewers who may not have started at the beginning of the series would catch moments from older episodes and get interested or better informed.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:28 am

Assuming this thread is about clip shows, people hate clip shows even more than fillers.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Not a fan of clip shows, but I'd like that more than some of the lesser Z-fillers we had. I enjoyed most of the fillers in original DB and didn't mind them as much in the back part of Z either. Some of that stuff in the front half though- like fake Namek, was kind of brutal. The moment to moment filler I also found a lot worse in the front half of Z. I wonder if something was going on behind the scenes in production during that time. I doubt we'll ever know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Given it was from an era before TV on home video, it's understandable why DB would have a few clip shows.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Kodoshin wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:42 pm The moment to moment filler I also found a lot worse in the front half of Z. I wonder if something was going on behind the scenes in production during that time. I doubt we'll ever know.
They were struggling with the fact that they were getting to close to the manga