Volume F Details

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grande Pesquisador

Volume F Details

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:22 pm

I would like to know if there is anything missing from the movie that is in Akira Toriyama's original script and vice versa. For example, is the controversial battle scene between Piccolo and Shisami written in the same way we saw it in the theathers?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Volume F Details

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm

I don't think we ever had access to any Akira Toriyama's script. That said, however, it isn't to say we don't know a few things that were changed in the final product. I do remember seeing these ones in Movie 15 thread:
kei17 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:51 am I've just noticed that some pages have Sorbet's original design that ended up not being used in the movie, and チドル (Chidoru) was his original name. A few pages have this beta design with the name Sorbet, so it seems that they renamed him first and Toriyama provided the final design afterwards. In addition, it turned out that this Nappa-esque guy was originally supposed to be Tagoma. What's peculiar is that their designs change page to page. There's some pages with their final designs inserted between the ones with their beta designs. Obviously, Yamamuro didn't draw the storyboards in chronological order.

So, putting it all together:
  • Sorbet was originally named Chidoru, and they changed it to Sorbet for some reason.
  • Tagoma and Sorbet were re-designed by Toriyama during Yamamuro was drawing the storyboards.
  • Tagoma was first supposed to be rescued after being blown out to space by Freeza, but ended up dying in the movie.
  • Shisami was newly added after finishing the storyboards and he took over Tagoma's role in the battle.
Image Image
kei17 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 amInterestingly enough, Shisami does not exist at all in the storyboards. It's Tagoma who fights Piccolo.
Freeza blows out a nameless soldier instead of Tagoma, but the text says it's Tagoma. It seems that Yamamuro replaced him with Tagoma after drawing the shots and changed only the texts later. Also, it's explicitly stated that he is rescued afterwards though he ended up dying in the actual movie.
Freeza was supposed to revive without the armor. Which makes more sense than what was seen in the movie, but not totally. Freeza should have been revived in his base form (which everyone calls it "Final Form" - a reminder that Freeza's transformations work backwards) and without the armor.

Also, it seems that these storyboards actually answer your question: as already stated, Shisami doesn't even exist, so presumably he wasn't in Toriyama's script as well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm .
Interesting details, I had never seen it.

As for the thread, based on these storyboards, even though Piccolo didn't originally face Shisami, it seems to me that Gohan still defeats the guy that Piccolo was facing in the same way he did in the movie, so it would probably still be an enemy that Piccolo couldn't handle alone (in this case, Tagoma, and in the movie Shisami)

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:55 am

Awesome! Thanks!

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm I don't think we ever had access to any Akira Toriyama's script. That said, however, it isn't to say we don't know a few things that were changed in the final product. I do remember seeing these ones in Movie 15 thread:
kei17 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:51 am I've just noticed that some pages have Sorbet's original design that ended up not being used in the movie, and チドル (Chidoru) was his original name. A few pages have this beta design with the name Sorbet, so it seems that they renamed him first and Toriyama provided the final design afterwards. In addition, it turned out that this Nappa-esque guy was originally supposed to be Tagoma. What's peculiar is that their designs change page to page. There's some pages with their final designs inserted between the ones with their beta designs. Obviously, Yamamuro didn't draw the storyboards in chronological order.

So, putting it all together:
  • Sorbet was originally named Chidoru, and they changed it to Sorbet for some reason.
  • Tagoma and Sorbet were re-designed by Toriyama during Yamamuro was drawing the storyboards.
  • Tagoma was first supposed to be rescued after being blown out to space by Freeza, but ended up dying in the movie.
  • Shisami was newly added after finishing the storyboards and he took over Tagoma's role in the battle.
Image Image
kei17 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 amInterestingly enough, Shisami does not exist at all in the storyboards. It's Tagoma who fights Piccolo.
Freeza blows out a nameless soldier instead of Tagoma, but the text says it's Tagoma. It seems that Yamamuro replaced him with Tagoma after drawing the shots and changed only the texts later. Also, it's explicitly stated that he is rescued afterwards though he ended up dying in the actual movie.
Freeza was supposed to revive without the armor. Which makes more sense than what was seen in the movie, but not totally. Freeza should have been revived in his base form (which everyone calls it "Final Form" - a reminder that Freeza's transformations work backwards) and without the armor.

Also, it seems that these storyboards actually answer your question: as already stated, Shisami doesn't even exist, so presumably he wasn't in Toriyama's script as well.
I imagine the battles were entirely written by the film crew. Toriyama must have done like George Lucas, who during battles in his scripts just wrote "a fight begins".

I also wonder if Yamamuro himself got his hands on Toriyama's original script and if he storyboarded the movie with the finished story in hand.

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:05 pm

I particularly find this movie enjoyable to watch until Golden Frieza comes along, as from then on the pace falls apart.

I feel they picked the wrong person to bring this story to life. People like Nagamine could at least offer a visual spectacle.

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:08 pm

The film is also very poorly edited, in which there are very sharp cuts, for example, Sorbet and Tagoma going to meet the Pilaf Gang. As well as the scene between Jaco and Bulma in Capsule Corp., which has two/three very rough cuts.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm

Grande Pesquisador wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:05 pmPeople like Nagamine could at least offer a visual spectacle.
Dragon Ball should be more than that, though. If the only thing Movie 15 had going on for it was to "look gorgeous", it'd still be a bad movie.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:10 pm

I agree with you. The best weapon in a movie is the script. However, let's imagine a hypothetical scenario where Nagamine takes over the project. I assure you that we could have seen very varied scenarios, fight choreographies and color scheme, as opposed to that boring and simple appearance of Yamamuro's storyboards. I use as an example the final battle between Goku and Golden Freeza, which could have been something similar to what we saw in Broly.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Toriyama's FnF script (I think): https://pastebin.com/yAsHJzv2 I believe the translation is from Herms, but can't find the link again or credits

There are no comments on god ki when Gokuu transforms in SSB.

Shisami wasn't compared to Dodoria and Zābon
is implied to be a mercenary
His fight with Piccolo:

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:56 pm

It amazes me how detailed this script is. I figured it was pretty basic, like a sketch. I would love to see something like that in an eventual Dragon Ball Super sequel.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 pm

Grande Pesquisador wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:56 pm It amazes me how detailed this script is. I figured it was pretty basic, like a sketch. I would love to see something like that in an eventual Dragon Ball Super sequel.
That was never implied to be the case for the three Toriyama films. He scripted them, down to the dialogue and basic directions (albeit leaving a lot of fight choreography up to the staff).

The general outlining only applies to the serialized Super arcs. We’ve never seen examples of those, but could reasonably expect them to be much more vague.

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:33 pm

A feather. Even though I think Toriyama had a bit of a crush as a screenwriter, his vision for the characters and story is still pretty solid. I don't see him inserting the infamous Goku Black's cutting scythe or God of Destruction Toppo.