Anyone else find the RRA arc hard to rewatch?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Anyone else find the RRA arc hard to rewatch?

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:30 pm The issue isn't one thing leading straight into another, it's the resolution of a story requires its own arc.

The Freeza and Saiyan arcs are distinct arcs. It's not the same thing. The arc begins with Goku on a mission to find his grandfather's DB and ends after Baba's tournament.
I don't really find that to be an issue though. I still think Fortune Teller Baba's segment is the same arc. I personally don't really look at it as the RRA arc. I mean they are the most dominant antagonistic force, but they don't mark the beginning or end of the arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:55 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:30 pm The issue isn't one thing leading straight into another, it's the resolution of a story requires its own arc.

The Freeza and Saiyan arcs are distinct arcs. It's not the same thing. The arc begins with Goku on a mission to find his grandfather's DB and ends after Baba's tournament.
I don't really find that to be an issue though. I still think Fortune Teller Baba's segment is the same arc. I personally don't really look at it as the RRA arc. I mean they are the most dominant antagonistic force, but they don't mark the beginning or end of the arc.
It's beginning, middle, and end isn't as clean as others, but it's certainly a story arc. The hunt for the 4 star ball is a quest that lasts through 2 arcs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:55 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm

It's beginning, middle, and end isn't as clean as others, but it's certainly a story arc. The hunt for the 4 star ball is a quest that lasts through 2 arcs.
Sure I think its not as clean of an arc in structure, but I do view it as one arc. I get your opinion though

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:19 pm

But why? Vegeta isn't working for Freeza when he goes to Earth. He's going to Earth to get the Dragon Balls. That's him committing treason.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:21 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:19 pm But why? Vegeta isn't working for Freeza when he goes to Earth. He's going to Earth to get the Dragon Balls. That's him committing treason.
What? I wasn't talking about Vegeta. I was talking about The RRA saga

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:21 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:19 pm But why? Vegeta isn't working for Freeza when he goes to Earth. He's going to Earth to get the Dragon Balls. That's him committing treason.
My bad but regardless, a story arc is just a story that lasts for longer than an episode and has a beginning, middle, and end. The RRA has a resolution well before Goku gets the 4 star DB.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:33 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:25 pm
My bad but regardless, a story arc is just a story that lasts for longer than an episode and has a beginning, middle, and end. The RRA has a resolution well before Goku gets the 4 star DB.
I understand and see why many people make that distinction, but I just personally don't. Similar to the King Piccolo saga, which ends with Goku training at Kami's after Krillin is revived in my eyes. I think the 'RRA' arc ends when Goku revives Bora as all plotlines introduced in the RRA section are resolved. It just works better that way in my eyes.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:36 pm

no worries I was just confused because I agree that Vegeta is a separate arc

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:05 pm

It can be called the Red Ribbon arc but that doesn't necessarily mean that the arc begins and ends with them. It's just a way of identifying the arc using the primary antagonist as a title, instead of what the arc is actually about.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:33 pm

I understand and see why many people make that distinction, but I just personally don't. Similar to the King Piccolo saga, which ends with Goku training at Kami's after Krillin is revived in my eyes. I think the 'RRA' arc ends when Goku revives Bora as all plotlines introduced in the RRA section are resolved. It just works better that way in my eyes.
The Piccolo Daimao arc ending after Kuririn is revived is fine. It's also not the same thing as Baba's tournament as it doesn't introduce a new antagonist as part of the resolution or just impediment to the hero's journey.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 pm

I don't see how the Baba arc being an extension of the RRA arc is all that different from the Frieza arc continuing the story of the Saiyan arc. Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, and Piccolo all die in the Saiyan battle, and most of them aren't revived until after Frieza's defeat. The casualties of the Saiyan arc are a constant plot point of the Frieza arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Because several reasons, not the least of which is stories don't have 2 climaxes. The motivation at the beginning of the Saiyan arc doesn't carry through to the Freeza arc. By the end of the Saiyan arc, the heroe have achieved their goal.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:50 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 pm I don't see how the Baba arc being an extension of the RRA arc is all that different from the Frieza arc continuing the story of the Saiyan arc. Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, and Piccolo all die in the Saiyan battle, and most of them aren't revived until after Frieza's defeat. The casualties of the Saiyan arc are a constant plot point of the Frieza arc.
Because both the Red Ribbon arc and Baba arc revolve around Goku looking for the four-star ball. The inciting moment is Goku going off to find his grandpa’s dragon ball then that turns into needing all 7 dragon balls to bring Bora back and after he defeats the Red Ribbon army he still needs to find the last one so he goes to Bana and only after that does he gather all 7, lets Upa make his wish, and then grabs his grandpa’s ball before it flies away.

The Saiyan arc and Freeza arc have two entirely different conflicts. The Saiyan arc is about the Super Warriors preparing for and fighting the Saiyans. The Freeza arc is about Gohan, Kuririn, and Bulma going to Namek to get the Namekian Dragon Balls to bring back their fall friends from the Saiyan battle and crossing paths with Freeza and his clan and Vegeta.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:39 pm
precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:52 am. Goku can't really bounce off the villains here and Android 8 is a very boring character personality wise, so there wasn't much to go on in terms of interactions.
Suno, Ninja Murasaki, the people of Penguin Village, Bora, and Upa all say hi.
heh, always thought her name was snow
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:56 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:26 pm
precita wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:52 am. Goku can't really bounce off the villains here and Android 8 is a very boring character personality wise, so there wasn't much to go on in terms of interactions.

It's a play on the word "snow".

Japanese approximation of the word "snow" = su•no•o
The character's name = su•no
Toriyama just drops the last syllable.

I prefer to call her "Sno", but many will call her "Suno" because I think that's her Funi dub name (as well as her name in the official subtitles, for some odd reason).

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:02 am

BeaBumby wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:26 pm
I believe it technically is.

Anyway, I finished re-watching this arc very recently (first time subbed) and I loved it, even most of the filler. I love the manga's pacing, but I also dig the extended introduction of Colonel Silver and how he's built up to be a mega-threat...only to show he's no match for this little kid. I like how it gives a reason for the Pilaf crew not being involved in the arc, and I thought the plot with the shady guy selling fake Dragon Balls was hilarious.

The Baba arc also is definitely a bookend to the RRA arc, moreso than I realized when I watched it back in the day. I actually enjoyed those episodes as sort of a prelude before the three-year time-skip (those along with Goku's traveling mini-arc). I can see how the Baba episodes dragged for others, but I found them pretty entertaining overall.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:48 am

This might be cheating, but Dragon Ball Recut can solve that pacing problem for you.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Preeve

Post by Preeve » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:44 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:48 am This might be cheating, but Dragon Ball Recut can solve that pacing problem for you.
Agreed. I read the manga version of the RRA Arc before watching the anime, and I greatly enjoyed it in manga form, yet found it damn near agonisingly sluggish in the anime. Dragon Ball Recut pretty much fixed all my problems with the arc and I greatly enjoyed it in cut-down anime form the last two times I watched through it. Hell, Dragon Ball Recut is pretty much my main way to watch through the original series now. I honestly don’t know if I can go back to the uncut version.

As for the debate regarding the end of the arc, I’m also in the “Baba Arc is an extension, and ultimately, the conclusion of the RRA Arc” boat. While the RRA were the antagonist of the Arc, the main goal was primarily finding the four-star Dragon Ball, which then evolved into finding all of them in order to revive Bora, which is then resolved within the Baba Arc. The RRA and the Baba’s Warriors were more akin to obstacles than outright villains like Vegeta or Freeza, considering previous comparisons.