Things fans do that piss you off

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amiable-Akuma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amiable-Akuma » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:04 pm

I've never really had a problem with any of the things "fans" do. Maybe that's because I haven't personally met many real anime fans in general and also because the company kept on boards like this one, specifically, is generally also of pretty high quality. Suppose I/we can thank EX for that - due to the heavy placement of importance on grammer, intelligent posts, and swift warnings/consequences for those who violate.

Moreover, I've introduced the show to many people and I was always able to convince them it was awesome. Maybe it took a little more effort for some but still - I've converted everybody I know into someone who is willing to watch it with me, like it period. However, of course, these are only casual "Joe" people who don't know much about anime, home theater stuff, or things like either in general.

Plus, I'm naive. I, personally, think DB is so amazing that I can't really imagine that anyone would not love it if they really gave it a chance. To me, it's like someone not liking chocolate ice cream. So with these "haters" I sometimes see online - I just assume they are confused people who haven't "eaten enough chocolate ice cream" to really even know what they are talking about at all. And how can you be annoyed by such people who are obviously so confused and unaware?

It's like if I said I don't want to eat lobster because it "looks nasty". But, of course, lobster tastes perfect and is awesome. That's how I view a lot of these online DB haters - they have just taken a quick look at the show, decided it "looks nasty", and then make comments - all the while having judged a book by it's cover.

Well, anyone can understand how doing such is crazy and only deprives one's self from pleasure. Therefore, I see the actions of such people as completely irrelevant, things that must be immediately ignored.

Synthe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Synthe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:16 pm

Mika wrote:Thank you *bookmarks it for later* ^.^
Just one more thing download the japanese sites using http://www.httrack.com/ why? well a lot of their the sites seem to be closing because most likey the author's will lose intrest, When they do they usally close the sites and delete everything so if you download the site you'll keep the art.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Plus, I'm naive. I, personally, think DB is so amazing that I can't really imagine that anyone would not love it if they really gave it a chance. To me, it's like someone not liking chocolate ice cream. So with these "haters" I sometimes see online - I just assume they are confused people who haven't "eaten enough chocolate ice cream" to really even know what they are talking about at all. And how can you be annoyed by such people who are obviously so confused and unaware?
I'm the same way. Except I don't view it as naivete, I view it as science FACT. :P
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Amiable-Akuma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amiable-Akuma » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:42 pm

^^^Hah, hell yeah. 8)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:04 am

Amiable-Akuma wrote:Plus, I'm naive. I, personally, think DB is so amazing that I can't really imagine that anyone would not love it if they really gave it a chance. To me, it's like someone not liking chocolate ice cream. So with these "haters" I sometimes see online - I just assume they are confused people who haven't "eaten enough chocolate ice cream" to really even know what they are talking about at all. And how can you be annoyed by such people who are obviously so confused and unaware?
I greatly dislike chocolate ice cream.

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:31 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:
  • Using katakana to avoid english spellings (Seru, Torunksu, Bebi)
nande yanen?
What's wrong with that? Some people think english is an ugly language...and one of them is me :p.
Deus ex Machina wrote:[*]Using Funimation's dub names exclusively (not including names like Tien or Krillin, but Hercule and Majuub)
I have a friend who uses Hercule and justifies it because he things its cooler than Satan...pray for my sanity please.

Deus ex Machina wrote:[*]Dubbies who complain about the Son family's voice being too high pitched in Japanese.
And yet they don't complain about the fact that Schemmel sounds like he's taking a crap whenever he does a Kamehameha....or takes any action more strenuous than scratching his butt.
Deus ex Machina wrote:[*]Manga purists.
Meh I don't see anything wrong with being a purist, I mean I myself am a Lord of The Rings purist.
Deus ex Machina wrote:[*]Inventing new/outdated names (Chou Gohan, Mystic SSJ, Buu 1.5)
Yeah mystic gohan is not even a damn form! It's Gohan with his power temporarily at its maximum without him becoming angry.
Deus ex Machina wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:[*]The innacuracy in Funimation's dub script. [/list]
I wouldn't say thats something the fans do but I'm glad it annoys you too :)
Last edited by aarondirebear on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You dont need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:38 pm

I think the reason "Mystic" is still used is because it sounds so cool. Seeing how that was a fanmade term, that's probably why the newer games had to go with "Ultimate", a term I'll start saying..in time. ::remembers an old sega game called Mystic Defender::
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:50 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote: Don't even get me started on the anime "fans" that download and download and download anime and never actually support the product. Blech... :evil:
Also, it really annoys me when certain hate on all anime dubbing without actually listening to it first. "OMG the JAPANEEZE IS AWESOMEZZ, the DUB SUX ALWAYEZZ." True. For some dubbed anime. But the majority of it nowadays is acceptable.
1) I've seen the dragonballZ dub, I've seen enough dubbed anime. Plus, I tried giving ADV a chance with Azumanga Daiouh, but they betrayed me.
2) I download because I wish to discourage bad dubbers by depriving them of my money.

Oh yes, and I will always be a fan of dragonballZ no matter what becomes popular!

Ahh, moo hitotsu...

I never got into Naruto either, I saw one episode and decided I didn't like Naruto's character design. It just bugged the hell out of me; so much so that I didn't bother. Ninjas shouldn't wear orange! Or any bright colors!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:22 pm

aarondirebear wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:
nande yanen?
What's wrong with that? Some people think english is an ugly language...and one of them is me :p.
Dutch is a pretter language than Japanese.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:18 pm

aarondirebear wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:
nande yanen?
I think the point was some people insist on using Japanese transliterations in place of a character's actual name. For instance, there is no character named Torunksu, even though Trunks' name may be phonetically pronounced that way in the Japanese language. But that doesn't mean you spell it that way when referring to the character.

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:23 pm

His power was temporarily at it's maximum? It was always at its maximum, that was the point of the potential being unlocked

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:04 pm

aarondirebear wrote:nande yanen?
What's wrong with it, is that you're not using the real names, and justifying using the wrong names by the argument that you don't like them. What if I started calling you BearBum instead of aarondirebear because I didn't like you're name? :P
Meh I don't see anything wrong with being a purist, I mean I myself am a Lord of The Rings purist.
Because purists complain. Purists over analyze, criticize everything in the anime, and more often than not have a smug sense of superiority in their knowledge that they have the *real* Dragonball.
Yeah mystic gohan is not even a damn form! It's Gohan with his power temporarily at its maximum without him becoming angry.
Actually if you go by movie 13, Gohan's "ultimate" transformation is something he can switch on and off at will. But my point is it shouldn't be called Mystic, the name doesn't appear anywhere in any official sources. It was one of those dub terms that became popular back before the series was syndicated because his power-up lacks an actual name, and it was just more convienant at the time. That was fine for back then, but there's no excuse to continue using it.

I'm not innocent of doing this myself though; for awhile I made a point of using the term "Super Great Ape" instead of "Golden Ozaru", despite the latter being more technically official. (After all, we don't call Goku a Golden Saiyan) But I don't say it often now.
Deus ex Machina wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:[*]The innacuracy in Funimation's dub script.
I wouldn't say thats something the fans do but I'm glad it annoys you too :)
Heh, guess I got a little off track there. Unfortunately an easy thing to do when dragging up everything you don't like about something.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 pm

For the sake of cutting GT some slack, I try to believe Gohan "lost" his power -up after he was absorbed by Buu or when he died in the explosion of the Earth. If you want to credit movie 13, you could always go with Bebi's possession did something to him, I don't know.. :? GT made it as though movies were canon (more like movies and GT had its own "canon") so its very easy to be confused, as you all know.. Toriyama laughs at this vicious cycle.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Maker777 wrote:But that just described you.
Shush you :D

Sorry Desire' about the Wikipedia thing...I'm fighting along right with you you know :wink:
Cuz you're an ocean, you're an ocean, settle down settle down what's the commotion?

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:51 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:For the sake of cutting GT some slack, I try to believe Gohan "lost" his power -up after he was absorbed by Buu or when he died in the explosion of the Earth. If you want to credit movie 13, you could always go with Bebi's possession did something to him, I don't know.. :? GT made it as though movies were canon (more like movies and GT had its own "canon") so its very easy to be confused, as you all know.. Toriyama laughs at this vicious cycle.
-Rick
Man, Mr Piccolo, why do you think just like me, that was my idea for Gohan's lost power-up and you stole it! :cry:
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:03 am

Somewhat relating to a few posts ago, it drives me up the fricken wall when people use the term "Mystic Gohan" or "Chao Gohan" or "Chuo Gohan" or whatever.

In the Daizenshuu, he is called "Saikyo no Gohan" which translates to "Ultimate Gohan" or "Mightiest Gohan".

Everyone needs to use those correct terms now, before I start shooting banks full of people to outlet my rage at "Mystic".

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:27 am

Duo wrote:Somewhat relating to a few posts ago, it drives me up the fricken wall when people use the term "Mystic Gohan" or "Chao Gohan" or "Chuo Gohan" or whatever.

In the Daizenshuu, he is called "Saikyo no Gohan" which translates to "Ultimate Gohan" or "Mightiest Gohan".

Everyone needs to use those correct terms now, before I start shooting banks full of people to outlet my rage at "Mystic".
HAHAHA! Can I enter into the "quote another member" fad by adding that last line to my signature? :lol: :wink:

Yeah I'm guilty of using that term once or twice but I never saw it as "official". I think fan made terms are ok to use as long as the user doesen't believe or claim it is "official" and that no actually official (canon) term has been used.... that and it makes sense i.e. Super Saiyan is not Uber Fantastic Awesome Mode (which is a term I made up to yse as an example). "Changling" in my opinion is a positive fan made term to describe Freeza's species since we have no better name for what race he and his father (and brother) are.

I still like to geuss at power levels after the Trunks arc though... yes I am a geek thank you. :roll: Sorry Sean aka SSj Kaboom... :lol:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:34 am

I still get kicks out of Power Level guessing too, so you're not alone.

"Ultra Super Saiyan" pisses me off too. These forms have official names!

And yes, you may quote my prior post. Why even ask? Desire never asks, and that makes it all the more worth it.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:22 am

Speaking of that, I remember when Shin is telling Goku and the rest about Buu after the tournament on their way to Babidi's spaceship, he tells Vegeta not to think Buu would be a good Saiyan or anything like that since he's about a thousand times stronger than Freeza. I'm not sure what he says in the manga or the original though.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

aarondirebear
Beyond Newbie

Post by aarondirebear » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:56 am

"Super Saiya-jin can not be reduced to numbers."- Vejita